PDA

View Full Version : lube running up bullets on lyman 450

mo_bio
02-23-2013, 09:18 PM
Finally got the 450 set up today. I had spent the last couple days cleaning it up. I have only been using my Lee sizers up till now. I put a tube of lyman lube in it and cranked it down. When I put a bullet in and drop it down, I get lube squeezing up the side of my bullets. Is that normal or am I doing something wrong.

PS Paul
02-23-2013, 09:25 PM
Could be one of several different things: boolit undersized, lube too warm, too much pressure or die not adjusted correctly. If you adjust the dies correctly where the lube holes don't go past the lube grooves and put lube up into the crimp groove, the dies are adjusted correctly. Eliminate that as a variable then make sure the lube is not too hot. I had runny lube the very first time I used my 450 and the same type of thing happened. A mess. Did you use the orange magic? black magic? Do you ahve a heater on it or place in front of a heat source?

mo_bio
02-23-2013, 09:36 PM
Lyman black. Lube at 70 degrees. No heater. I suspect I have the die not set to proper spot. Thanks paul

runfiverun
02-23-2013, 09:59 PM
i'd measure the area where the lube is running to.
there are a couple of molds that are famous for this happening.
they are just tapered above the lube groove and the lube goes there.

Blammer
02-24-2013, 11:29 AM
on the VERY bottom of the sizer where the Push arm goes there is a threadded rod that you can adjust up or down, adjust it UP so you can't push the projectile so deep into the sizer. do this until no lube is above the spot you want.

Larry Gibson
02-24-2013, 03:16 PM
........ I suspect I have the die not set to proper spot. Thanks paul

That would be the best bet unless you have out of round bullets and the small diameter is less than the sizing diameter or the bullets are already smaller than the sizer.

Larry Gibson

Tatume
02-24-2013, 04:53 PM
+1 to the fellows who said you're pushing your bullets too deep into the die. If you will take the die out and look at it, compare the top row of holes to the to lube groove on your bullet. They should line up when the bullet is pushed into the die. You can go a little bit deeper, but if it goes in so deeply that the top driving band passes below the top row of holes, lube will be released as you have seen.

Huskerguy
02-24-2013, 05:06 PM
Thank you for the question. Up until now I had TL everything and picked up a 450 and rebuilt it. Now trying to pour and size some 45's for the first time. I have a Lyman452374F with a single lube band. I just thought since there was not much room between the top of the lube band and the curve of the ball shaped bullet, that is where I was getting the excess lube. I think I am learning something today.