PDA

View Full Version : Re-bored 357 to 41 mag?

huntrick64
02-23-2013, 10:19 AM
What would be the possibility of haveing someone like JES Reboring take a Rossi M92 357 mag and rechamber/rebore to a .41 mag? I would love to have a 41 mag levergun, but don't really want a micro-groove rifle and really don't want to spend $1,200 and up! You can get a Rossi 92 for around $450 new and add $250 for a rebore. $700 and you would have a new 41 mag lever gun. You would have $700 tied up in a Rossi, but we wouldn't be doing this to re-sale them anyway. If I could do this and slick it up like I did my Rossi M92 45 colt, I would be satisfied. Or, at least until I find something else I want!

Thoughts?

Salmoneye
02-23-2013, 10:36 AM
Pretty sure you would have to rework the bolt face...

huntrick64
02-23-2013, 10:45 AM
Yes, I'm sure you would as well as a few other tweaks. But heck, I already spend a bunch of hours working on anything I shoot. Just dreaming at this point.

schutzen
02-23-2013, 10:54 AM
Very interesting and I have no idea if it would work. But I do have two thoughts; first, you may want to consider going the other direction. .44 Mag to .41 Mag; I have no idea if there is any difference in the pressure capablities of the two rifles. I would assume that both rifles use the same action, but I am not sure. Before I dropped the hammer on a .357/.41 rebore, I would be sure. And Second, keep all of us advised of your progress. I suspect there are several (me included) who would follow your lead with this conversion.

Uncle Grinch
02-23-2013, 11:16 AM
My 41 Mag Marlin started life as a 44 Mag that was in pitiful shape. I sent it back to Marlin and asked for a 41 Mag conversion. They did everything necessary to make it correct, new barrel, internals, reblue, and refinished the stock. It was less than $400, and I'm happy since I paid less than $200 for the rifle, plus it's a straight grip stock. You don't see many straight grip 41's.

huntrick64
02-23-2013, 01:57 PM
Hey Grinch, how long ago was that and would there be any possibility of them doing that today?

fcvan
02-23-2013, 02:16 PM
My 41 Mag Marlin started out life as a 41 Mag Marlin in 1989. I specifically bought the Saeco 220 TC GC boolit mold which feeds and shoots fine in the 20" tube. Dad's 230 Keith Style is so long that it barely fits in the S&W M57 cylinder and won't feed at all in the Marlin, at least when crimped in the crimp groove.

My brother was making some loads for his Thompson Contender and his M57 and 'did me a favor' by topping off my empty 41 brass. I thought he grabbed my boolits but no, he loaded the ones from dad's mold. I cycled the lever and poof, locked 'er up tight. The cartridge was maybe .00005 shorter than inside of the action as it could be moved, but ever so slightly. Of course, dad was with us for the first time in forever and he got a good chuckle out the whole deal.

I don't see what the issue with the micro groove barrel supposedly is. Maybe the 1989 barrel is better than more recent production. I don't know. There is/was a used (1 box fired, know the original owner personally) at a local gun store in Northern CA. I don't recall his having any complaints about the rifle which I believe is 5 or more years old. I almost bought it back when but my buddy did. He bought it, held onto it for over a year before he actually fired it, and then decided he wanted a 45-70 or something. He practically works at the gun store, I'll have to ask him about it.

felix
02-23-2013, 02:34 PM
I would not ask Remmie, or anyone else for that matter in the production arena, to do anything just yet. Wait until the shortages iron out, and then ask. There will be qualified technicians by and at that time just looking for something to do besides run-of-the-mill stuff to satisfy a bunch of CPAs. ... felix

I also would like to say that the barrel on my gun, a Davidson's special Marlin, had been lawyer-ed to the hilt. It has a 0.200 freebore, which when filled properly with a designer boolit is way too much total cartridge length to feed the chamber from the magazine. A custom fitted gun would be my preference instead of a "factory" retrofit if standard length cases are going to be the norm. ... felix

missionary5155
02-23-2013, 09:55 PM
Greetings
I like the 44 to 41 idea. Find a rusty bore .44. Put a .41 liner in it. Rechamber and I bet it would cycle and fire with no fuss. Only hangup maybe that bolt face being to fat and the extractor.
Sure am glad I bought into 41 mags years ago before the collectors jumped in.
Rossi really needs to look into a fine caliber and make some fast money.
MIke in Peru

dnepr
02-23-2013, 10:31 PM
I have had similar thoughts . I have tried to buy 2 marlin 41 mags and got beat out both times , a conversion is a tempting idea, I would love to hear how it goes .

dakotashooter2
02-25-2013, 06:43 PM
I'm still kicking myself for trading off the Marlin .41 I bought during their first run. I don't think those had the microgroove barrel.......

JHeath
02-26-2013, 01:07 AM
I don't know firsthand but googled around recently about converting an 1892 to .41. Seems it would require some new internals and tuning. You could pay somebody to do it, and have an expensive M1892. Or you could try doing your own gunsmithing and if you're anything like me it will be on the bench 10 years from now, 80% complete.

I decided that for the money I'd rather get a .357 and lots of powder and primers and go shooting. The skill acquired would be worth more to me than the ballistic advantage of a .41.

But it's a great cartridge and a great project, if you want to invest in it.

ReloaderFred
02-26-2013, 02:33 AM
All of the Marlin .41 Magnum rifles have had Micro-Groove rifling. All three of mine do. One is from the second run of them, the second is from the last regular run, and is unfired, and the third is from a limited edition done for Davidson's several years ago, also unfired.

Marlin only had one broach for the .41 Magnum, since they cost about $22,000 at the time. Several years ago, before they were purchased by the Freedom Group, I asked the Marlin rep at the SHOT Show if they would ever bring out a .41 with Ballard rifling, and he told me they wouldn't be making anymore of them at all. He said that for every .41 they sold, they could sell 10 .357 Magnums, so it just wasn't worth it to them to set up the line for that caliber.

The limited edition set is four rifles chambered in .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum and .45 Colt. They are all stainless steel, with 16" barrels, laminated stocks and all four of mine are serial numbered the same. There were 251 of each of them made, and I'll someday sell the set to augment my retirement. They were made by the old Marlin, before the purchase.

Hope this helps.

Fred

rbuck351
02-26-2013, 07:41 AM
I don't know if the Rossi 357mag tube is big enough for the 41. If not you would have to change the mag tube and its hanger and barrel band as well as enlarging the hole in the action for the mag tube as well as the forearm hole. Might be easier to start with a 44 and just rebarrel or reline if possible.

Combat Diver
03-03-2013, 09:11 AM
I've been shooting my first run Marlin since 89'. Traded a NIB CZ75 for it (had $340 in it). Got a Ranch Dog TL411-255-RF mold and it shoots those heavies like no tomorrow. I do know that Marlin used two different bolts for the .41 and .44. In the long run it would be easier to keep looking for a Marlin than rechambering a Rossi.

CD

GARCIA
03-05-2013, 06:07 AM
My oldest son picked up a 1894S Marlin in 41mag just a little while ago.
Got it for $500 plus tax from his LGS. Previous owner drilled out the Marlin bullseye and put a sling swivel into it. We are working on correcting this problem. The front sight has also been replaced with a Hi-Viz sight that is not tall enough for cast boolits. We ran it hard this past Friday with cast and some "J" stuff. No problem digesting any of it. Going to try some 255gr LBT-LFN's in it here shortly and see how they work. Might need to adjust the cartridge stop to get them to cycle properly.

Tom

TheGrimReaper
03-09-2013, 03:32 PM
I want a lever .41 so bad I can TASTE IT!!!

jonp
03-09-2013, 08:22 PM
Man, my favorite caliber in a lever gun. Be a nice match for my Blackhawks.

Farmer&shooter
01-16-2015, 12:53 AM
Why don't we all write a letter to Rossi asking that they make a run of .41's? The .41 is a WONDERFUL caliber, and handy as the opposable thumb!

huntrick64
01-16-2015, 09:48 AM
I am the OP.

I finally converted something to a 41 mag lever, but it wasn't another gun (I gave up on that endeavor). There was an older local guy that had a Marlin 1894FG unfired in a 41 mag. He was needing some primers and couldn't find any. I had a hoard that I had bought up about 6-7 years ago at $20.00 / 1,000. He valued the gun at $800-$900 and primers were running about $45.00/1,000 at the time. We made a deal good for both of us and I now have my 41.

I have made several incredible deals over the last few years with those original primers. Pre-Obama, every time I would pick up powder, I would pick up another 5,000 primers. My buddy kept asking what I was going to do with them, and I told him, if they can't control guns, they're going to control ammunition, primers, and powder. Now that primers have become available again, I think my great trades are over, but just in time because I think I need to keep what I have left since I now have a son that likes to shoot reloads!!!

If Rossi brings out a 41, I will be all over it as well.

kweidner
01-16-2015, 10:18 AM
I know not levergun bout this makes me think of converting a 77/44 to 41. My cousin's is not a great shooter and it wouldn't be hard tomget him to part with it I'm sure.

Meeither
01-28-2015, 09:49 PM
you find another 41 let me know mate. I NEED one to go with my wheel gun :-)
I am the OP.

I finally converted something to a 41 mag lever, but it wasn't another gun (I gave up on that endeavor). There was an older local guy that had a Marlin 1894FG unfired in a 41 mag. He was needing some primers and couldn't find any. I had a hoard that I had bought up about 6-7 years ago at $20.00 / 1,000. He valued the gun at $800-$900 and primers were running about $45.00/1,000 at the time. We made a deal good for both of us and I now have my 41.

I have made several incredible deals over the last few years with those original primers. Pre-Obama, every time I would pick up powder, I would pick up another 5,000 primers. My buddy kept asking what I was going to do with them, and I told him, if they can't control guns, they're going to control ammunition, primers, and powder. Now that primers have become available again, I think my great trades are over, but just in time because I think I need to keep what I have left since I now have a son that likes to shoot reloads!!!

If Rossi brings out a 41, I will be all over it as well.

Meeither
01-28-2015, 10:00 PM
Grinch, I would love to have more details on Marlin converting the gun for you. I have a 41 wheel gun i reload and want a lever action to go with it. Fairly easy to locate a 44.

RJM52
01-30-2015, 06:43 PM
Rick....glad you finally scored a "proper" .41 Magnum... I have the LTD, S and CCL but sold my FG as I just don't care for pistol grips on levers...

I have never had any problems with accuracy with the MicroGroove barrels but the guns do seem to predfer full loads vs. target loads.

As to conversions..one of the posters over on the S&W Forums had a 1873 Winchester Italian clone done by Lockburner Firearms of Colorado Springs, Co. If someone is looking for a conversion it is a place to start. Marlin, at least the old Marlin, would do a .44 to .41 Conversion as my gun dealer had one done...but whether or not the new Marlin would or even still has parts who knows but it is worth a try. From what I read last year Marlin, as in Freedom Group, stated that it was contemplating another run of .41s. If they had someone like Davidson's, TALO, etc. to back it I am sure they would.

I have a Ruger #3 .22 Hornet that I have already contacted Delta Gunsmithing in Wa. about converting to a single shot .41...they said no problem. Another to get hold of is Gary Reeder Custom Guns as he also does conversions and .41 is one of his favorite calibers.

If you are looking for a mold, I just ordered a 41-250L from Accurate Molds...took 10 days to get. I have been shooting the 255 grain Cast Performance with 22 grains of H110 and it has worked stellar in the rifles...

Let us know what you are doing with your .41...

Bob

ps...the Marlin I am hoping is brought out next time is a stainless 1894S...straight stock, 20" barrel...