PDA

View Full Version : Best Manual for New Reloader

PbHurler
02-23-2013, 01:09 AM
Good evening,
A friend of mine left me a phone message, asking what I'd recommend for reference material, for someone wanting to get started in reloading. He'd like to read about the whole process in depth, he's a sharp guy. He doesn't own any tools, presses etc. yet.
I think he's looking for a publication to read that covers it all, the basics to touching on the advanced.

I know all loading manuals have the process dissected in their front pages, but is there a single publication that you have experience with, that you feel should be a must read for a newby? (and currently available) I'd rather he not have to go and buy 2, 3 or 4 different loading manuals off the bat.
I've heard good things about the Lyman Reloading Manual, but I've never owned one.

I'm available to help him along the way, and more than happy to do it. I've been handloading for 34 years. I myself, learned by reading a single Speer reloading manual number 10.

But as you all know, sometimes you just want a book to read to learn about a subject.

I appreciate your responses.

alrighty
02-23-2013, 01:25 AM
I have loaned the 47th edition Lyman reloading handbook to a couple of friends.It is very easy to understand and yet detailed.It is also nice that it is printed in larger text for people like me with short arms.Last I checked you could still pick these up used at a decent price.

Duckiller
02-23-2013, 02:48 AM
Several Manuals!!! In addition to Lyman I would also get Speer, Hornady and/or Sierra manuals. I would start out with 3-4 manuals and accumulate more as time and money allow. NEVER throw a manual away. Loads will vary in different manuals. Cross check your loads in several manuals and avoid real high or light loads to start. The above has worked for me most of the time for the last 48 years.

sthwestvictoria
02-23-2013, 03:24 AM
For starting out the Lyman do go through things well. As do the simple sheets that come with lee dies!
The ABC of reloading books do not have load data in them but are excellent for talking about the how and why of certain steps - case trimming, headspace, crimp, pressure signs etc. I have the older Dean Grennell and the 8th ed by Bill Chevalier.

02-23-2013, 12:37 PM
Any edition of Lyman's 45th through 49th, plus one each of any Hornady and Sierra manual.

44Vaquero
02-23-2013, 12:59 PM
Most of the powder companies have reloading manuals available and they are free! It's a cheap and easy way to build a reloading library. Some are available for down loading and can be sent to you.

Here are just a few:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/resources/catalog.aspx

http://www.hodgdon.com/basic-manual-inquiry.html

http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/accurate_load_data_3.5.pdf

http://www.wwpowder.com/basic-manual-inquiry.html

wallenba
02-23-2013, 01:07 PM
For a new reloader, not into casting, yet. I would say Richard Lee's modern reloading. It has chapters that very well explain each step in the process and why. There is a lot of blatant product touting, but why not, it's his book. Also, it's only about $15-$20.

jlchucker
02-23-2013, 02:46 PM
I started out with a Speer manual that came with an RCBS kit that included the old iron RCBS Jr press, a lube pad, a powder measure, and a scale. Since then I added Hornady, Sierrra, Lee, and Lyman manuals, along with some freebees from powder manufacturers. If I were just starting out, I think I'd want to start with the Lyman manual. All manuals have a front section with similar How-to information, followed by load data. The Lyman manual is a bit more complete in that it has some cast boolit loads for each caliber listed. Further, their data for jacketed bullets isn't brand-specific. They appear to have developed that jacketed data independent of brand. They don't make jacketed bullets for sale, so IMO their data can be used to start with on most of the common bullet brands.

Trey45
02-23-2013, 02:58 PM
Lee's second edition!
The entire first half of the book is nothing but how to do it and why you do it that way stuff. Safety and procedure, equipment, the whole 9 yards.
I have gotten 2 new reloaders involved in handloading through that book. I've read the first half numerous times myself, it's not a bad idea to do this as a refresher.

Recluse
02-23-2013, 03:15 PM
For a new reloader, not into casting, yet. I would say Richard Lee's modern reloading. It has chapters that very well explain each step in the process and why. There is a lot of blatant product touting, but why not, it's his book. Also, it's only about $15-$20.

Lee's second edition!
The entire first half of the book is nothing but how to do it and why you do it that way stuff. Safety and procedure, equipment, the whole 9 yards.
I have gotten 2 new reloaders involved in handloading through that book. I've read the first half numerous times myself, it's not a bad idea to do this as a refresher.

Concur. For beginning reloaders who've never pulled a handle, Richard Lee's book is hard to beat as it explains the entire process in detail. His product touting gets a bit tedious, but again, it's his book. But as far as the process goes, combined with good and SAFE data for a whole slew of cartridges and calibers, it's my number one recommend.

:coffee:

jmort
02-23-2013, 03:29 PM
"Modern Reloading" by Richard Lee best all around and the pimping of Lee Precision products is especially good if you use Lee Precision products as most do. His history of the reloading industry is interesting as well. No single man has done more for more reloaders than Richard Lee. As always, I say God bless Richard Lee and Lee Precision for sponsoring this site.

1hole
02-23-2013, 03:48 PM
There is nothing that covers 'basic to advanced' reloading methods. Lee, Lyman, Hornady, Sierra manuals all cover the basic instructions very well. There's little to be gained from buying multipule manuals, they have different words and illustrations for newbies but they all cover the same stuff.

Manuals by specific powder or bullet makers are no more helpful than a manual by a specific case or primer or rifle maker. The book data was developed in a different firearm than ours and that difference has a potentially greater impact than who did the testing for a manual. Anyone who develops his loads properly will be quite safe; if he doesn't it won't make a bit of difference who printed his manual.

On the recommendation of a very wise old man, I only owned one manual for the first five years of my 45+ years of reloading and never felt handicapped until several new powders and cartridges came out. By the time I got my second manual I had sufficent personal experience so the normal differences in manuals didn't make me come unglued; I strongly recommend a single manual for any newbie, which one of those listed above hardly matters.

sundog
02-23-2013, 04:11 PM
NRA Guide to Reloading. Basics, nothing advanced.

r1kk1
02-24-2013, 11:35 PM
Lyman. ABCs of Reloading. The later is available on Kindle format.

Take care,

r1kk1

dilly
02-25-2013, 02:33 AM
When I started, I thought the Speer manual was more useful than the Lyman. I also find myself using more of the Speer data as time goes on. My two cents.

dromia
02-25-2013, 03:18 AM
The Complete Handloader by John Wooters.

PbHurler
02-25-2013, 07:12 AM
Thanks for all the replys guys, He's picked up a Lyman, ABC's of reloading & a Speer #14. These are what was available locally. He's gonna read through these to tide him over; while in the midst of the "panic". Once, (if) the market begins to catch up with the demand, he's gonna start the compilation of equipment.

Matt_G
02-25-2013, 07:24 AM
The ABC's of Reloading 5th edition by Dean Grennell.
Great book, covers everything and Dean was a great writer and a pleasure to read.
Be warned however that this book doesn't have any load data in it. It just covers procedures.
So your friend would still have to buy one more book.
I checked and this book is available from Amazon used for 20 bucks.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0873491262/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

02-25-2013, 07:54 AM
+1 for Lee's manual. Good bit of sales hype but it's a solid, easy to read reference. Has lead boolit loads, to boot.

Taylor
02-25-2013, 08:27 AM
Lee 2nd edition and ABC's of reloading

dragon813gt
02-25-2013, 08:51 AM
Lee's manual. I don't mind the product pushing in it. It's the most thorough explanation of the reloading process. And since it's a compilation of reloading data, it has the most data. I know people on this site love Lyman's reloading manual and cast bullet handbook. I find them both severely lacking in all areas. Eventually you will want to buy them all. I'm going through the process of buying the old Hornady manuals since I use their bullets.

1Shirt
02-25-2013, 09:43 AM
Lyman hands down for information for a new reloader, information not necessarily all the best data. Would put 2nd ed. of the Lee manual next.
1Shirt!

Alferd Packer
02-25-2013, 06:21 PM
Just remember there is nothing basic about reloading. A reloader can never know too much. It's the not knowing enough that gets you into trouble. They all explain many of the same things in different ways and can cause you to rethink something you thought you understood, but really had the wrong idea about. For a new reloader, read, proceed carefully and only load a few for test shots. Always start with the minimum load, but also never go below the minimum load thinking you are being even safer. Cast bullets have less friction and literally squirt out of the barrel compared to jacketed bullets. Never use a minimum cast bullet load for a jacketed load. It can plug the barrel. Remember to size new brass before loading and remember to gently flare a test case prior to seating a cast bullet. Getting the case flaring die into adjustment seems to be the hardest thing for new Ammo reloaders to learn.This is why all your cases should be the same exact length. Shooting range pickup brass and buying once -fired brass causes the most problems in this respect. They need to be checked for length with a case length gauge. Then only use the cases that are all the same length and then adjust your flaring die to fit those cases. This is only one of the things a new loader has to learn and somehing I see old reloading hands ignore and then wonder why they continue to have some loaded rounds that collapse the cases or shave lead when seating the bullets. They have never taken the time to learn this one very important basic step. They complain that the cases are annealed improperly and toss those crushed cases aside and continue in the same vein. One other thing-remember to carefully and lightly ream all NEW brass inside and outside case rims as they have a wire edge. This inside edge tends to catch on the flaring die and causes a jerk especially on progressive reloading tools. Just two things I see violated by many new and old reloaders in a hurry. Good Luck. I use Manuals by LEE, Speer, Lyman, Hodgdon, Winchester, and Mec Shotgun. Any books by Dean Grennell and George Nonte are also very good. Keep buying manuals and read reload read reload read etc,etc,etc.

eastwa
02-25-2013, 07:11 PM
I have loaned the 47th edition Lyman reloading handbook to a couple of friends.It is very easy to understand and yet detailed.It is also nice that it is printed in larger text for people like me with short arms.

Reminds me I need to set up an appointment with the local eye doc.

sirgknight
02-25-2013, 09:42 PM
+1 on Lee's 2nd edition, followed by Lyman's 49th (regular and also the cast version if you plan to cast your own). The ABC's is also a great read.