PDA

View Full Version : Im now ready to join the UNDERHAMMER club!!

GARD72977
02-23-2013, 12:36 AM
Well I just could not wait to post this. I found a Hopkins & Allen 45cal target rifle 1 1/8" diameter model and it weighs about 10 pounds and is in great shape and a 45 cal pistol. Just got conformation that the guns were shipped today so I should have pics posted by Tuesday. Not sure if the club im joining will allow me to shoot it in the monthly events but I just had to have it. I bought a .440 mold for the Magma Caster a couple of weeks ago so I need some soft lead.

I have been fascinated by the underhammer since I first seen a picture in a book 20yrs ago. This muzzleloader addiction is getting out of hand. I need a match rifle and may use the Mowery when I get it fixed. I have been on Roy Stroch's website and im itching to order a Tennessee rifle in 32 cal. Im guessing a fool and his money are soon parted.

StrawHat
02-23-2013, 07:05 AM
Your underhammer could very well become your target rifle. A lot of them can be made to shoot very well.

rhbrink
02-23-2013, 08:16 AM
Why would the club that you are joining not allow a underhammer?

RB

shane438
02-23-2013, 09:49 AM
I had one in the early 90s and wish I'd kept it! Mine shot very well. A guy where I used to work heard me talking about it and asked me to bring it in to show him. he made me an offer I couldn't turn down at the time. I made a nice profit but miss the gun.

TCFAN
02-23-2013, 11:19 AM
I had two of the H&A underhammers years ago one in 45 and the other in a 36 cal. Both shot good only thing wrong with them ............You had to use that nasty old black powder......Terry

newton
02-23-2013, 01:43 PM
Congrats. Im going to be building one in the future myself. I think everyone should have one in their gun cabinet. I wouldnt call it foolish, just a wise purchase.

Boz330
02-23-2013, 02:35 PM
I had two of the H&A underhammers years ago one in 45 and the other in a 36 cal. Both shot good only thing wrong with them ............You had to use that nasty old black powder......Terry

BLASPHEMY, someone get a rope.:bigsmyl2:

Bob

GARD72977
02-23-2013, 06:25 PM
Why would the club that you are joining not allow a underhammer?

RB
I have heard that some clubs frown on the use of underhammers because of a unfair advantage. Im new to the sport so I have to shoot and learn.

John Taylor
02-23-2013, 10:29 PM
Some clubs that reenact the Rendezvous try to tell people the under hammer was not made before 1840, I have pictures of one made in 1750 but it is a flinter. Texas offered land in trade for under hammer rifle in the mid 1830s but there is no evidence that the order was filled. I was told I could not use my under hammer at a shoot because it had a peep sight. You can hear all kinds of stories from those that are afraid of a little competition.

JeffinNZ
02-24-2013, 03:43 AM
It's hard to argue with a design that puts the cap ignition directly into the main charge. No turning corners.

rhbrink
02-24-2013, 07:59 AM
I can understand peep sights not being used against open iron sights there is a big difference there at least for my eyes I know that I can see and shoot much better with peeps than open sights especially from a rest, offhand well not so much. But if you are dealing with a PC - HC group good luck. A underhammer is not legal but a T-C Hawken shooting Pyrodex is? Go look for another club.

RB

Dan Cash
02-24-2013, 08:33 AM
I saw, in Nurenburg, Germany, a wheel lock rifle dating from who knows when that was equipped with--- drum roll--- [U]adjustable[U] peep sights. I suppose clubs baning aperture sights and under hammers would ban wheel locks too.

rhbrink
02-24-2013, 09:02 AM
They did! A while back someone reported maybe here or another forum I can't remember but this person wanted to shoot a original wheel lock at a blackpowder club and he was not allowed to enter the competition. And they wonder why the sport is slowly dying out?

RB

bob208
02-24-2013, 09:40 AM
i have 4 under hammers. 3 are .45 one is an action i picked up. i woud really lke to find target model like you have just to have it. i saw one many years ago before i was into bp. the action mite get built into a .36 or a .38 cal rifle. i am leaning towards the .38 because i can use the same balls my navy colt uses.

i have never had a club say i could not use my under hammer. but they all say open sights only no peeps. i think that is why every one look at the peep sight is missing.

GARD72977
02-24-2013, 02:06 PM
i have 4 under hammers. 3 are .45 one is an action i picked up. i woud really lke to find target model like you have just to have it. i saw one many years ago before i was into bp. the action mite get built into a .36 or a .38 cal rifle. i am leaning towards the .38 because i can use the same balls my navy colt uses.

i have never had a club say i could not use my under hammer. but they all say open sights only no peeps. i think that is why every one look at the peep sight is missing.

The peep sight on the one I bought is missing . The monthly shoot is today and Im to sick to go. I think the club will let me shoot it. I had not bought the underhammer when I talked with the president of the club. He said they were not to strict and my TC new Englander would be fine. He said as long as it was not a inline I was fine.

357maximum
02-24-2013, 02:58 PM
You are in alot of trouble now as underhammeritis is an affliction that is only slightly less toxic to your wallet than contenderitis.

Boz330
02-25-2013, 12:39 PM
There were old eyes in the 18th and 19th centuries and they figured out peep sights then. I think TOW use to carry an adjustable peep that mounted in the rear dovetail and extended back over the tang. Does anyone have a picture of something like this? I'd like to do something like this for my hunting rifle.

Bob