PDA

View Full Version : Beaumont/ Port Arthur area.

P.K.
02-22-2013, 03:11 PM
Looking at the area, depends on how this deployment goes for us, her turn this time. She's a Loggy ( Logistics) and thinking about relocating. Pro's and Con's on the area? I'm of the mind that it's all good but what do I know?

All info appreciated,

Thanks.

felix
02-22-2013, 03:26 PM
Industrial, big oil. Excellent for Loggy folks! ... felix

archmaker
02-22-2013, 04:21 PM
Hurricane's - this area for a while seemed to get them more than others. :) But has been quite for a while since one has came through the area. Lot of "swamp" and timber to the North, some good fishing, and if you can find it hunting, you are really getting into the rural area then. Go West about an hour is Houston. I always had the impression that Beaumont would be a bigger town if Houston wasn't so close. Some good restaurants over there, and some good people.

Dale in Louisiana
02-22-2013, 04:25 PM
Glad to have you. I'm thirty miles east in southwest Louisiana.

Gun Stuff: Golden Triangle Gun Club is very active, has great range facilities and programs. It's TEXAS, for pete's sake. Anything 'gun' you want, you can find in Texas.

You'll be an hour away from Houston. If you can't find it in Houston, it doesn't exist.

The Gulf of Mexico is right there. If you boat or fish, it's paradise.

People are friendly. With the obvious exceptions, most of them will meet you more than halfway.

The down side: Summers are blistering, steaming hot. High humidity and high temperature will give you a new dimension to 'hot'. And mosquitoes are a constant companion almost year-round. And we have the odd hurricane from time to time.

dale in Louisiana
(who spent all too much time working in Texas, and still does)

drinks
02-22-2013, 04:30 PM
Soggy, stinks, soggy, high rents, soggy, very few good restaurants, soggy,some fishing, soggy, uncounted billions of mosquitoes, soggy, really nasty polluted water areas in town, soggy.
Oh, did I mention it rains a lot and is black gumbo, soggy?

x101airborne
02-22-2013, 04:49 PM
The Beaumont / Port Arthur area in the past has had a reputation of being less than cordial to those of cultural diversity. And, yes, mosquitoes are in abundance. You may want to buy a Judge to defend yourself from the bugs. Lots of low lying areas and flooding is a constant worry. As was said, something about being soggy. Not many shoulders on the roads and the ditches are about 6 foot deep with about 120 degree banks, so dont leave the road. You may not come out.

Plus side is lots of fishing, you also are close to the Anhuac Wildlife Refuge and it has some extreme duck and hog hunting. I have swatted a couple redfish with the 12 gauge while hunting and often take the rods and reels with plastics for after the ducks, I go get some reds and flounder making it a double header day. Most of it, you need an airboat to get to, or be willing to park a regular boat and wade through 5 foot tall grass and marsh to get to where you want to be. Unfortunately, no lead in waterfowl areas regardless of what you are wanting to shoot. Dont even get CAUGHT with a lead slug for hogs while duck hunting. I will see you again in three to five and about 5 grand in fines. And that aint no joke. Maybe slightly exaggerated, but the point is serious.

And to boot, you would only be about 4 hours away from here, so weekend hunts would be possible.

joec
02-22-2013, 05:12 PM
I lived between Beaumont and Orange Texas in a placed called Vidor from 1969 to 1979. I loved the people (not particularly Vidor) but the Texas crowd in general as well as a large number of people living there from Louisiana. However I hated the place itself but don't know about how it is today. It looked like a scene from Blade Runner every night with the weather changing every 30 minutes. Hell hot in the summer and damp, freezing and damp in the winter months. I did have some of the best times of my life there though and have a friend I made there that is closer than my own brother. My wife and I are still friends with him and his wife with them coming to Lexington twice a year to see us.

Ajax
02-22-2013, 07:18 PM
I grew up in Saratoga, TX. It is gods country, right in the heart of the big Thicket. Within easy driving distance from Beaumont and Houston and best of all lake Sam Rayburn. Yes we have warm summers and cold wet winters and a swamp or two. Yes there is mosquitoes that will tote off a shoat. But where else are you gonna find the best bass fishing in the world and the plethora of animals to hunt.

Andy

TXGunNut
02-22-2013, 09:46 PM
I spend a bit of time in Houston, family there and in B-mont. Niece's hubby runs a shoe store there. Buy a generator and keep fuel, water and non-perishables around during hurricane season. Awesome variety of hunting and fishing opportunities. Did anyone mention mosquitos?

lightman
02-22-2013, 09:50 PM
As a lineman, I have worked a couple of those hurricanes. I remember the swamps, roads with no shoulders, and mosquitoes. It seems like we found decent places to eat. Just look for a lot full of 1 ton flatbeds with welding machines on them! Those guys work and play hard, but they like to eat! I also remember feeding a few gators left overs in road ditches! Kinda cool! Not much help, I know, just my memories of the place. Lightman

joec
02-22-2013, 09:53 PM
I spend a bit of time in Houston, family there and in B-mont. Niece's hubby runs a shoe store there. Buy a generator and keep fuel, water and non-perishables around during hurricane season. Awesome variety of hunting and fishing opportunities. Did anyone mention mosquitos?

I was born and raised in south Florida so mosquitoes aren't a problem especially after spending a couple weeks in Alaska where they can get you through 5 layers of clothing. Neither was the heat but the cold took some getting used too coming from Florida. :mrgreen:

P.K.
02-22-2013, 10:33 PM
Thanks for all the input! Although if some of the warnings about Skeeters and Hurricaine's were to warn off, sorry. The fishing and hunting opportunities far outweigh those concerns. For both it's a fact of life on the Gulf or East coast. I grew up in Maine, so used to both and prepping for them. Although I don't know how much bigger they can get than the Maine variety, last I remembered you could see the FAA tail numbers on those things!

As for the storms, I would prefer a few feet of elevation but we have to go where we think it's best or hopefully will be anyway. Still in the planning stages but storm surge and aquatic neighbors are on the list. I haven't mentioned the gators to the better half yet. She's of the mind right now that they habitate further East and not a concern yet. I can always use a new pair of boots and I hear they are good eating too. ;-)

How are the taxes and cost of living in the area? It can't be any worse than it is here. TN is getting ridiculious along with state sales there are local taxes that total up to 17% for purchases at wally world. I would really miss not living "next door" to my favorite powder and primer provider but I'll swallow the HAZMAT and shipping fees to make the move for the right reasons.

Thanks gents, your imput is appriciated.

DLCTEX
02-23-2013, 12:22 PM
State and local sales taxes total less than 9% and not tax on groceries or meds.

texassako
02-23-2013, 12:39 PM
My whole family is from that area and everyone pretty much hit on the good and the bad. I spent many weekends crabbing in those coastal swamps. Texas is property tax only and capped at about 3.2%(?) though most pay less, and sales tax is 6.25-8.25% depending on rural or city.

km101
02-23-2013, 04:12 PM
State and local sales taxes total less than 9% and not tax on groceries or meds.

And no state income tax, relatively low property taxes, pretty good wage rates. Dont worry about the gators, they are not very big. I have never seen one over 8 or 9 ft. And the mosquitoes dont even start to compare with the Alaska variety! :)

lreed
02-23-2013, 09:57 PM
My son lives just north of Beaumont,I visit often,seems to be a area on the move,building houses, opening new businesses and sure is different from where I live,there were NO empty closed stores that I saw.Appears to have money circulating,I do think they call it "The Golden Triangle". I you like Cajun type food be sure to try Freds off I10,some great Mexican food too. I like to visit,but traffic and skeeters are noticeable!
lreed