PDA

View Full Version : Hazard I never thought of; Glad I always wear eye protection

Patrick L
02-22-2013, 09:22 AM
I scored a small hit of tin at a local scrap yard in exchange for the steel and zinc ww I turn in after a sort.

Anyhow, I smelt it down into ingots this morning. I skimmed the dirt off and dropped it into my usual receptical, an old 2# coffee can. Then I notice a bit too much "silver" in the dirt, and think I better throw it back in the pot, remelt, and do a better job of skimming. The dross has all hardened of course, so I'm scraping and chopping away at it when I get the bright idea of just pushing up on the bottom of the coffee can. Do you remember the old kid game "Trouble" with the dice popper in the middle of the board? That coffee can acted just like that and gave me a facefull of hot (not still molten thank God) dross and tin.

I shudder to think what might have happened had I not been wearing eye protection. As it was I only got one small burn right between the nostrils, and of course I violated that rule about not eating while casting/smelting, since I ate a few particles of that crud (I think I spit most of it out.) This just goes to reinforce that cardinal rule of ALWAYS wearing eye protection. I think as shooters/reloaders/casters we sometimes get to the point where we think we know it all/have seen it all and we get complacent. Not necessarily careless, but complacent. That's why safety rules are so redundant; the redundancy will save your bacon when you loose your focus for just a second.

I'm going on 30 years reloading, 25 as a caster, and I'm sure many of you have a lot more years than that in. We DON'T know everything and we still need to be careful!

Charlie Two Tracks
02-22-2013, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the reminder. Glad to see it wasn't a bad burn. Dang, but things can happen quick can't they!

Harter66
02-22-2013, 11:37 AM
I very carefully sort my range scrap, hard, soft,mine,jackets. Last fall I blew up the melt pot 60-80# of hot lead on the floor not to mention the roof,walls,me and garage door ,driveway and truck. Glasses , long sleeves, pants and bootstrap were a salvation to be sure. I still had a few minor burns on my face,neck and arms through thin spots in the jersey tee. My daughter says the pants look like they are redneck beadazzled.

Safety 1st ,it only takes a few seconds.

sqlbullet
02-22-2013, 11:40 AM
If you aren't doing it already, hit the vitamin-C. It will help chelate any lead or heavy metals back out of your system.

nhrifle
02-22-2013, 12:24 PM
Glad you are ok. My lead pot has popped a few times and it is no fun.

captaint
02-22-2013, 12:38 PM
Glad you turned out OK. Let's face it, we never expect to get a face full. I do always wear eye
protection. Avoid the SURPRISE !!! Mike

smokeywolf
02-22-2013, 12:41 PM
Reminders to use our safety gear are never wasted words. Thanks for telling us about that.

smokeywolf

OuchHot!
02-22-2013, 03:07 PM
When you think about how insanely dangerous molten metal is, it says a lot about us boolit casters that there aren't more injuries. At least so far as we admit to.

1Shirt
02-22-2013, 03:24 PM
If you haven't been burned at least to a minor degree, you have not cast much. I have only been burned when I have done something wrong, or something stupid, or a combination of both over the years. The best safety tip I know is the old saying,
"It hurts to get hurt!".
1Shirt!

Trapperscott
02-22-2013, 04:04 PM
Thank god for safty glasses.

Shiloh
02-22-2013, 04:35 PM
If you aren't doing it already, hit the vitamin-C. It will help chelate any lead or heavy metals back out of your system.

I didn't know that. Something i'll look into. Does it work for other heavy metals like trace amounts of cadmium??

Shiloh

ddaniel1
02-22-2013, 05:02 PM

Wow, good to know, thanks.

00buck
02-22-2013, 08:50 PM
Glad youre ok

Thanks for sharing "safety" with us

Raven_Darkcloud
02-22-2013, 11:45 PM
I had a minor visit from the tinsel fairy today. Cold and rainy day, got condensation on ingot ant made a bubbling brew. Not to bad but once I saw it bubbling I ran. Still got some on me but no burns. Most of the lead stayed in the pot, more of a warning then the big bang.

10mmShooter
02-23-2013, 06:41 PM
Two golden rules of casting and you will be okay....

1 NEVER take your glasses off
2 NEVER take off your gloves (you tend to forget they are off and you stick your hands where they shouldnt be.....hence dont take them off)