PDA

View Full Version : This a photo of my first muzzle loader.plus i need somevload data.

Neo
02-22-2013, 02:37 AM
This is my first muzzle loader rifle let me know what you think also i need some loading data for this rifle would be a great help.It`s an Antonio Zoli Harpers Ferry .58 Cal.:castmine:

GARD72977
02-22-2013, 03:01 AM
I really like it! nothing like a Flint military rifle.

Reg
02-22-2013, 05:52 AM
Classic !!

Nobade
02-22-2013, 09:14 AM
Very nice! I would like to own one of those myself.

For loads try a .562 - .570 round ball, cloth patch (I use pillow ticking in my 58) and 80gr. FFg black powder. That gets you started, then mess with it until you find the most accurate load. Remember these military rifles aren't as heavily made as a plains rifle so you don't want to go too wild on the powder charges.

-Nobade

Mike Brooks
02-22-2013, 09:52 AM
Does it spark?

Sergeant Earthworm
02-22-2013, 10:19 AM
Nice rifle. Do you know the twist rate? Just my opinion, but I would start with about 65-70 grains of ffg and a patched round ball. Unless you already have a source, I would also suggest getting flints from Track of the Wolf, they have some good quality stuff at reasonable prices. With my first flint gun I made the mistake of using man-made machine cut flints and damaged the frizzen. Hand knapped English flints are the way to go.

KCSO
02-22-2013, 10:24 AM
54 or 58 first. Second if it is a Navy Arms you will need to get the lock tuned at some point. The Harpers lock was the (sorry) worst designed flintlock ever purchased with Government money. I had to reharden my frizzen after about 100 shots and I relocated the touchhole, put in a liner, and slicked the lock up when i did the work. After that it was a good shooter, but I was never able to get the ignition of a well designed lock. I ended up re-setting the flint angle and that helped a lot. If you ever read the Lewis and Clark journals you would see that the original guns were not sure fire either. Way back when in the boook of Buckskinning # ????? there was a nice article on tuning the Harpers guns. If you want a good upgrade i think Doc Carlson still sells a lock kit for these that has properly hardned parts.

bob208
02-22-2013, 10:46 AM
i have one just like it in .58 also. i use 60 gr. 3f .562 ball cast of pure lead and .020 pillow ticking. it shoots real good will roll a deer. i prime with 3f also. you can go to 80 gr. but with that big of a ball why waste the powder?

10 ga
02-22-2013, 01:36 PM
Nice pickup. You'll have lotsa fun and learn a bunch bout ML too. I'm not a flinter guy so listen to the others. And you'll need something that goes bang every time if ya go after some of them Banteng! Best, 10 ga

PTS
02-23-2013, 04:50 PM
Very nice piece; well done! Stick with 2f black powder and use 4f in priming pan only. Go to the Goex web site as they have a conservative load chart that I trust. I shoot conicals in my Pedersoli’s; lead conicals with hollow bases shoot very well. The “skirt” of the bullet “obturates” out and into the rifling, hence no patch needed. Easier to load and delivers a wallop. A conical for your gun will be a serious hunk of lead!

I second the Track of the Wolf advice; Tom Fuller English flints work very well for me. TOW is a top-rate business; they know their stuff. Also, Dixie Gun Works is very good.

MaxJon
03-07-2013, 04:56 AM
This is my first muzzle loader rifle let me know what you think also i need some loading data for this rifle would be a great help.It`s an Antonio Zoli Harpers Ferry .58 Cal.:castmine:

Yeah nice mate! very similar to the Lyman GPR

StrawHat
03-07-2013, 02:55 PM
Looks familiar!

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc194/StrawHat/73bfead2-5584-4916-820b-1d83b665c7da_zpsefe7c4d4.jpg

As has been mentioned, the lock may need some work, mine certainly did. Once I got it sparking reliably, it turned into my favorite rifle. Best of luck and enjoy shooting it.