PDA

View Full Version : More calf pics

429421Cowboy
02-21-2013, 11:05 PM
Here are some more pictures of the little Angus calves that Miss K took on Friday, i hope you enjoy!

I really like the second picture, he seems like he's taking a stretch after so many months inside his mama!

Click to make them bigger!

x101airborne
02-21-2013, 11:07 PM
Nice stock!

nhrifle
02-22-2013, 12:40 AM
And nice scenery too. I miss Montana.

Idaho Mule
02-22-2013, 01:43 AM
Looks good, I sure hope all goes well and you don't lose a single one. Everyone here is calving in the mud right now. Well there is usually a little fresh snow daily, but mostly mud. After burying the neighbors horse the other day he said they had lost 3 calves so far this spring. Those little buggers sure are cute and I bet Miss Kate is loving every minute of it. JW

km101
02-22-2013, 11:54 AM
I dont know about "loving every minute of it." Calving can be hard, messy, dirty work! But it's worth it! And really satisfying at the end of the day.

scottiemom
02-22-2013, 09:01 PM
Hmmm...wonder if Jim would let me get a calf?

swheeler
02-23-2013, 01:36 PM
They're so darned cute when newborn! Cowboy you near Pishkin Reservoir?

JeffinNZ
02-23-2013, 03:14 PM
Hmmm...wonder if Jim would let me get a calf?

He might Janet but there is the risk he will insist on said calf going on holiday, at maturity, to "Costa del Freezer".

Speaking of freezers, what an introduction to the world. One minute you are all cozy and warm, the next you're lying in the SNOW.

429421Cowboy
02-23-2013, 10:32 PM
We have already lost a calf, but when you are calving over 200 head sadly it becomes a fact of life!

Thankfully, at least thus far, we have remained either dry or frozen, that mud is the hardest thing ever on those baby calves! Two winters ago we went through a wicked freeze-thaw system all winter that left us with sick calves that then had to try and fight the cold as well.

Miss Janet, from what i have seen of your husband and what he thinks of you, he would come up here and gift-wrap and gold-plate one if you asked him to!

We are ranching a little futher south than Pishkun, but i have spent a good bit of time up on a ranch that runs cows all around Pishkun Reservoir, including some calving, that is some beautiful country but man are there some big bears and bad weather up there!

I too have thought about that, what a rude welcome to the world, going from 100 degrees and nice to landing on your head in the frozen pasture with a wind chill of around 20 below!

JeffinNZ
02-24-2013, 01:22 AM
Do you use covers for them? I used to export lamb and calf covers for a client of mine.

www.woolover.co.nz

429421Cowboy
02-24-2013, 03:05 AM
Neat! I have never used them, nor does anyone around here that i know of, for calves but something that looks similar to that is used by many for lambs! The calves will supprise you how tough they can be, we put out alot of straw for them to bed in as well as hay for the mamas, once those calves get dug in the straw in a group and the cows lay around them they stay toasty even in the real cold snaps!