PDA

View Full Version : 444 Marlin

IcerUSA
08-01-2007, 02:30 AM
Looked at one at the pawn shop and was wondering that the going price is on one, didn't haggle with him yet but, if his price is a little high I would like a ball park figure to start with. It did lever nicely tho and I didn't have my glasses to be able to see the rifling so I'm a little in the dark on that, wood looks good, blueing is 90+, over all it looks good.

Thanks in advance for your replys, Keith

Ranch Dog
08-01-2007, 08:15 AM
Keith,

I'm a 444 nut from the get go and had a program that I could run that tracks completed sales on the auction sites for the various 444 models. I run it every couple of months but haven't since my hard drive failure and it will be about a week before I restore that item since the return of my laptop. Here is the last image it generated:

http://home.awesomenet.net/~ranch-dog/Firearms/444/Prices.JPG

These are averages of the sales for the given period and don't include the FFL or shipping fees. You didn't mention model but I have the info across models also but like I said it will be about a week before I get to it.

What makes my head spin is some of the high prices I see when you can walk into any Wal-Mart that sells rifles and buy one for $430 with this printout:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3138488

I have a rancher friend that just decided to buy a new 444 and took that Wal-Mart sheet to our little local gun shop and the guy sold him a new rifle for less! He's picking it up today.

I have quite a collection of facts and images concerning the Marlins and I'm working on a new web page about the rifle and caliber (when I get a little time). Here is a link to my old one, may be it can help with model features:
Ranch Dog's 444 Page (http://home.awesomenet.net/~ranch-dog/Firearms/444)

IcerUSA
08-01-2007, 11:45 AM
Thank you RanchDog, just might have to stop and see if he will deal on it. :) I think it is an 444S model, thats what he had on the tag anyways.:drinks:

IcerUSA
08-02-2007, 11:45 AM
Well the guy did deal so on friday I'll have a new to me Marlin 444. WOOT

Glen
08-02-2007, 01:38 PM
I think you'll like it. I sure am fond of mine!

Ranch Dog
08-02-2007, 03:15 PM
The fellow rancher I mentioned above, stopped by today with his new rifle. He is pretty pumped and can't wait to turn it loose on hogs!

IcerUSA
08-12-2007, 10:14 PM
Took it out today after a through cleaning, only 25yds tho, tried some Reloader 7 in it and a couple of the cowboy loads (see the I messed up post). Didn't like the cowboy loads at all, but them minimum for boolit weight loads for a 300grain boolit sure did the trick, useing the Lee 310gr FNGC out of a 2 cavity mold, man does that thing kick, even with the new LimbSaver pad on it. I like it well enough I think I'll keep it awhile :)

Keith

Lloyd Smale
08-13-2007, 06:37 AM
Im another fan of the 444. Its hard hitting and recoil is mild even with 340s at the top end compared to a 4570.

hunter64
08-25-2007, 10:43 AM
Ranch Dog: I have just about every caliber of lever action model 94's and 1886's and I love them. I have been thinking about a .444 marlin for sometime now because it makes sense that you can plink with the same bullets you use for the .44 mag and when you really want the power no problem. Is there certain models I should avoid or are they all about the same as far as being able to shoot cast lead. Barrel lengths and different levers and stock design I know about and have some personal preferences but some of the older 444's I have been told are a little harder to get any accuracy out of with cast.

Ranch Dog
08-26-2007, 08:27 AM
Ranch Dog: I have just about every caliber of lever action model 94's and 1886's and I love them. I have been thinking about a .444 marlin for sometime now because it makes sense that you can plink with the same bullets you use for the .44 mag and when you really want the power no problem. Is there certain models I should avoid or are they all about the same as far as being able to shoot cast lead. Barrel lengths and different levers and stock design I know about and have some personal preferences but some of the older 444's I have been told are a little harder to get any accuracy out of with cast.

Been busy farming for my deer so I didn't see this. You do have a PM.