PDA

View Full Version : Ahh, my Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th edition arrived today

Friends call me Pac
02-21-2013, 08:36 PM
Last month I said to myself, "Self, why don't you start casting your own bullets for your .45?" I bought a mold and already had a Lee lead pot and ladle. How hard could it be? Now the more I get involved the more I relize how much i don't know. Things like babbit, lead hardness and other such things like what the heck is a gas check began to complicate my simple pour the lead into the mold and it is done mentaility. So I'm about to crack this book and find out what I do know, what I don't know and hopefully, things are going to work out just fine.

Cherokee
02-21-2013, 09:02 PM
I learned many years ago from the Lyman manual of the day. You have the advantage of being able to ask here for things you don't understand. Read the manual carefully, its not really hard to get basic cast bullets.

**oneshot**
02-23-2013, 11:48 AM
Don't over think it! I am of the KISS frame of mind.

Friends call me Pac
02-23-2013, 04:17 PM
Thought it was going to be a whole lot more in depth. It is mighty handy for load data.

**oneshot**
02-23-2013, 05:48 PM
The biggest thing that I learned from the book and from here on this site: Boolit fit is King. The book gives a good deal of info on that. It took me a few years of fighting with alloys to figure that one out and it was right here in front of me.

felix
02-23-2013, 05:59 PM
Remember, boolits require dynamic fit which is above and beyond static fit. The latter is most often good enough for most guns while shooting condoms, but boolits need to fit firmly throughout the firing stage from beginning to end. Dynamic fitness is controlled by boolit composition and how it is accelerated for maintaining total zero clearance. ... felix