PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding Primers and Cast Boolits

Jethro
02-21-2013, 08:18 PM
I reload a lot of 38-40 cartridges with bullets cast in a Lyman 401043 mold using either a minimum starting weight load of bullseye, Unique, or Red Dot smokeless and occasionally a load of Jim Shockey's Gold. My question is: Since I have run out of regular large pistol primers for this particular load and (Mr. Obama has made it very hard to get more), I have a full carton of large magnum pistol primers is it alright to use them or will it raise the pressures too high? I suspect not with the minimum load of powder, but wanted to check with someone who may have more experience than I have.

I didn't know if this was the proper forum to use for this question but could find none that appeared to be the right one and it appeared to me this one was as close to the topic as I was going to get. If I made a mistake, my appology.

williamwaco
02-21-2013, 08:35 PM
If you are using minimum starting loads of bullseye, Unique, or Red Dot, you will not notice the difference.

Can't speak to Jim Shockey's Gold.

Huntducks
02-21-2013, 08:41 PM
If you are using minimum starting loads of bullseye, Unique, or Red Dot, you will not notice the difference.

Can't speak to Jim Shockey's Gold.

+1 same here for JS gold

Jethro
02-21-2013, 08:51 PM
The Jim Shockey Gold I load measure for measure with black powder and seems to have about the same energy. Based on my feel for the way it shoots. (No scientific instruments involved) It is a great powder that is supposedly non-corrosive. I may be wasting my time but I still clean like black powder with hot soapy water and do it as soon as humanly possible.

runfiverun
02-21-2013, 09:44 PM
you may have to jiggle the powder load a little to get accuracy back.

the black powder stuff might burn a bit cleaner than normal [i'd try a couple] dunno.