PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Precision Delta Cast loads.

wbrco
02-21-2013, 07:51 PM
Hope this is the right place to post this!

I've loaded shotgun for years, and finally bit the boolit(?) about a year ago and bought a Lee Classic with 38/357
dies about a year ago. I already had a number of common items (scale, primer pocket cleaner, Hodgton Universal etc.)

I wanted to keep costs low, so I also started reading a bit about casting as well. I've always
had a bit of a bug from reading Herter's catalogs when they were the same size as a Sears catalog.

This was predicated because a) I've always wanted to load metallic, and b) the acquisition of a Marlin 1894 in .357 which rapidly became my "grab" rifle for the farm.

So, I've purchased (to learn better technique) 500 Precision Delta 158gr SWC.

http://precisiondelta.com/detail.php?sku=B-158-SWC-ML

I loaded up a batch of these in .357, starting at 4.2grs of Universal (what the ProDisk ended up throwing via my scale).
Then I worked up to about 5.7/5.8 grs.

I had a couple of issues/questions;

The Universal seems to be dirty/smokey, which is not what I was expecting. I also loaded some jacketed 158's
and they smoked as well, but not as bad. This was particularly evident in my 6 1/2" Blackhawk, but also in the rifle. I've read that this might be due to the need for a heavier crimp.

Given that I'm using the Lee Factory Crimp die, how do I tell the difference between a heavy crimp or a light crimp? I can't seem to find a good photo/example in the vastness of the internet.
Is it typical for a cast/swagged bullet to require a heavier crimp?

I emailed Precision Delta, and they were not able to give me any "real" hardness specifications. Does anybody
have an idea how hard these are or how fast I can push them? (No leading noticed yet).

I also have a problem with these feeding in the Marlin. The OAL is correct, but the Metplat(?) seems to catch
as the cartridge lifter raises the round up - NOT when the actual round starts into/onto the feed throat. The jacketed
doesn't seem to have this problem, even though the OAL is the same.

Advice??

Thanks!

Beau Cassidy
02-21-2013, 10:32 PM
Years ago (probably 25) I went to their place in Ruleville, MS. I watches as a hydraulic machine took lead core wire and squeezed out bullets just as fast as it could. I am not sure if that is how they still make bullets. Another tidbit is the owner of the company told me all of their ammo was loaded with 231. I don't recall seeing any of their powder but I have no reason to not believe him. Again- that info is about 25 years old.

Fluxed
02-22-2013, 12:51 AM
I think those bullets are going to hang in your Marlin no matter what you do. Also, since they are swaged they will not be very hard. Swaged bullets work great for low velocity like in .38 wadcutter target ammo but will lead like crazy if you try to push them very much past about 800 fps. I suggest you try some round nose or flat point round nose -CAST- bullets. Or maybe better, buy a mold and try making your own.

The smoke is probably coming from the lube those bullets are tumbled in. I suspect the base of the bullet is covered in lube and the hot gases from the powder are causing it to burn. A good fitting CAST bullet with standard lube grooves probably won't smoke nearly as much.