PDA

View Full Version : Lee Tumble?

mrblue
02-21-2013, 06:21 PM
I got the chance to get a new mold for my .45. Im going to get a Lee Mold and have the choice to get lube groves in either config. Just wondering what i should do. If i get a single lube grove i have to pan lube. I like the idea of the alox lube, to save some time, but also like to see plenty of lube on there.

02-21-2013, 06:22 PM
I use LLA only works for me.

Hounddog
02-21-2013, 06:55 PM
I use the tumble lube lee 230grn round nose and it shoots and feeds great in both my glock 21 and my M&P 45acp. Don't have to size them, just lube and load!

Hounddog

Super Sneaky Steve
02-22-2013, 12:21 AM
The Lee TL bullets work ok in my .38's but in my 1911 they leaded badly. I switched to a standard lube grove and my problems went away.

From all the threads on this subject maybe half love LLA and the other half hate it.

It's cheap so worth trying.

Recluse
02-22-2013, 12:50 AM
Aside from Ranch Dog's boolits, Lee only has a couple of TL boolits that I like--and the two that I DO. . . I like a lot.

My best boolit in the entire inventory is the .358 TL158SWC. I've also got the .452 TL230RN and it is a FINE boolit, easy to load and very accurate.

However, as to whether or not you "can" tumble lube a boolit, lube groove design is irrelevant. I tumble-lube all my 45 boolits, all of my .38 and .357 boolits regardless of boolit design or lube groove design.

:coffee:

BACKTOSHOOTING
02-22-2013, 01:30 AM
Aside from Ranch Dog's boolits, Lee only has a couple of TL boolits that I like--and the two that I DO. . . I like a lot.

My best boolit in the entire inventory is the .358 TL158SWC. I've also got the .452 TL230RN and it is a FINE boolit, easy to load and very accurate.

However, as to whether or not you "can" tumble lube a boolit, lube groove design is irrelevant. I tumble-lube all my 45 boolits, all of my .38 and .357 boolits regardless of boolit design or lube groove design.

THIS, Plus 9mm

P.K.
02-22-2013, 07:47 AM
IME, you can use any boolit with LLA. Just remember to tumble the buggers again after sizing. I have had good experiance with the Lee 401-170-TC with just LLA over some warm loads of HS-6 and 700X in .40 S&W. YMMV but, I'm happy with it. The Lee TL452-230-2R is the same way and feeds well in my 1911 with the same method.

'74 sharps
02-22-2013, 07:53 AM
New to tumbling, but seems to work well with a lube groove Lyman bullet in a 38 and 357 magnum. Can buy it in larger quantities online under a different name which escapes me at this time.

sqlbullet
02-22-2013, 11:44 AM
If i get a single lube grove i have to pan lube. I like the idea of the alox lube, to save some time, but also like to see plenty of lube on there.

Two things.

You can tumble lube any bullet. The lube came first, then Lee started developing bullet designs to be easy to cast and optimize their lube. I, and many others, have tumble lubed a bunch of different bullet designs with success.

Also, if you like to see lots of lube, you are going to have a bad time with LLA. It works best with a light coating, not heavy. Generally it doesn't look like enough to matter, but it works.

trixter
02-22-2013, 12:02 PM
I am a big fan of wad cutter boolits, so I got a 452-200-SWC Kind of a H&G 68 clone, and I like it a lot, I run them thru a Star and use 'Carnuba Red'. I also wanted a tumble lube set up, got the Lee push thru sizing die in 451, and then got the Lee TL 452-200-SWC, I am going to load some up this weekend and try them out. They came out of the mold beautiful and I am excited about getting to try them out.

captaint
02-22-2013, 12:35 PM
I tumble lubed for about my first year of casting my own. I don't own any TL designs. The regular lube groove boolits tumble lube just fine. I did this because I knew I was gonna have to
have a luber/sizer sooner or later. Turned out is was sooner. Glad I went that way. Mike

mdi
02-22-2013, 12:52 PM
I've been casting/lubing for nearly 18 years and I don't have a lubersizer. When I started I was on a budget and I tumble lubed with alox and learned how to use it without messes, clogged seating dies, and smoky shooting (I thinned with mineral spirits and dip lubed). I couldn't afford a lubersizer so I pan lubed too. Well I still pan lube 'cause I have a method that works well for me and I don't have to buy extra nose punches or dies (toaster oven and cake cutters). I don't need 1,000 lubed bullets at one setting so I haven't bought a Star and my pan lubing is doing fine (I can use all the lubes a lubersizer can use and no leaky o-rings). It's a personal choice and you'll have to decide fer yourself what works best.

Check out Recluse's 45-45-10 and you can buy xlox from White Label Lube (a vendor sponsor) at a good price.

jmort
02-22-2013, 01:17 PM
"...you can buy (45-45-10) from White Label Lube (a vendor sponsor) at a good price."

I got the 45-45-10 from LsStuff/vendor sponsor. Very happy with it.

Recluse
02-24-2013, 07:15 PM
Check out Recluse's 45-45-10 and you can buy xlox from White Label Lube (a vendor sponsor) at a good price.

You can also buy 45/45/10 from White Label already made up and it is excellent. Glenn sent me the first bottle he mixed and packaged and it has no peer. But I can say that about all of Glenn's lubes--there are others as good, but none better.

trixter
02-25-2013, 01:59 PM
Is the reason for using 45-45-10 just ease of application? Does the JPW enhance the mix? I have been using Lee Liquid Alox by itself and have had no adverse effects. For ease of application, because at room temp it is a little goopy, I just put it in the microwave for 22 sec and it comes out like chocolate milk. I have also learned that "A little dab'll do ya". I am asking because I really want to know.

turmech
02-25-2013, 02:28 PM
The main reason is to stop the stickiness of LLA.

MtGun44
02-25-2013, 08:05 PM
NOT a fan of TL designs, I would suggest the conventional design. IMO, they are more
forgiving of a wide range of hardness, diameter, pressure and velocity.

TL designs clearly do work, within a range of variables and avoid the cost of a lubrisizer.
OTOH, you will very likely die with your lubrisizer working just as it did the day you bought it,
so this is a truly one time expense. Pan lubing and sizing in the Lee push thru dies is a very
viable way to go.

Bill