PDA

View Full Version : New Bee question about sizing

mrjata
02-21-2013, 01:50 PM
Great forum!! Learned so much in so little time.

Just not getting into casting, have just bought out a guy, have 7 Lee Prod. pots now and all the lead I want, just have to ask for it, but at $1.00 a lb.

I have been reloading for several years. Just 9mm, 38, 357, and 45 acp. I amm a tight wad to say the least. I was wondering, can I get one sizeing die set for 38/357 and use it for 9mm? Going to slug the barrels today. (If you have an easy way, tell me). I know the dies are not cheap but I am. Is it penny wise and pound foolish? I get that way.

Other question, can I use the pan size on a tumble lube bullet? or should I or is there a benefit over the alox liquid?? I am sure this is mentioned somewhere else.

Thanks all! Great info to be had here..

Wayne Smith
02-21-2013, 05:37 PM
1) How much do you like cleaning lead from your barrels? That will define penny wise/pound foolish.
2) There is no such thing as "pan size" - it's pan lube. Yes, you can pan lube a tumble lube boolit. Pistol boolits, with a few exceptions, don't need much lube.
3) Easy slugging the barrel, a hollow sinker, brass rod, and a hammer. There is a stickie on this.

Hounddog
02-21-2013, 05:44 PM
Won't know the answer to your question until you get your guns slugged. The lee sizers are pretty cheap and come with everything you need to get your bullets sized, so it won't break the bank to get a couple of them. Tumble lube designed bullets can be pan lubed but in my limited experience they tend to work the best when lubed in alox.

Good luck

mrjata
02-21-2013, 05:55 PM
1) How much do you like cleaning lead from your barrels? That will define penny wise/pound foolish.
2) There is no such thing as "pan size" - it's pan lube. Yes, you can pan lube a tumble lube boolit. Pistol boolits, with a few exceptions, don't need much lube.
3) Easy slugging the barrel, a hollow sinker, brass rod, and a hammer. There is a stickie on this.

Will look for the stickie. Yes it is pan lube, I had deleted, re-typed, mispellID a bunch, didn't get that part corrected.

Going to try to slug the barrels. I did a stupid one, tried to use a hot wax stick to do it. Ya I know...we can all laugh about it now, I did.

Started an order with Midway in Columbia (about 3 hours south of me) and they wanted $20 shipping for a couple of dies and a little spring. the rest was on back order, another lube size die and they were going to charge me another $20. Well, there is another gun show in March in KC, Mo., 45 min from here. Will get almost all of it there. No shipping, most of the time, no tax, no wait, no back ordering or getting is sold out from underneith you. Might get some more brass and primers while I am there too.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Now what do I decide...pan LUBE or Alox? Humm??????????

Charlie Two Tracks
02-21-2013, 06:59 PM
Your Lee sizing dies should come with a sample bottle of Alox. Mine did a few years ago.