PDA

View Full Version : Harrassing phone calls

Beekeeper
02-21-2013, 01:04 PM
I know this is not the place to vent but I need someones advice.

I keep getting phone calls about do I want solar power, refinance my home plumbing insurance, you know the list.
Today at 0500 or there abouts I got a phone call from some clutz in New York saying I needed to call them imediately about the financing of my home!

My home is paid for free and clear so why call them.
0830 received second call saying I had not responded to their calls and my home loan would be turned over to a collection agency.

This is the same company I contacted last week and told them to stop calling me and take me off of their call list.
Was assured it was a mistake to call me and action would be taken. "some action"

The National do not call list is a joke and these boiler room companies know it.
Even the telephone co. ( verizon) is in on the deal with their you gotta take this before the price goes up deals.

Is there any way to stop the calls and junk maillings other than going to court against each one.

I am sick and fed up with them and need to do something about it.
OK rant off!!!!

beekeeper

winelover
02-21-2013, 01:17 PM
I just screen my calls with Caller ID. If I don't recognize the number, I let it go to Voicemail. The nuisance caller will never leave a message! Last resort, just unplug the phone till you want to use it.

Winelover

Junior1942
02-21-2013, 01:22 PM
Ask your congressman to fire the head of the Federal Trade Commission, aka the FTC. I'm not kiddding. Google "Cardholder Services" to discover just how bad the call situation is and just how useless the "Do Not Call" list is. These callers have been arrested numerous times and given slap-on-the-wrist fines. It is past time to give them (a) a year in jail AND (b) a $1,000,000 fine.

mold maker
02-21-2013, 01:43 PM
I know this is not the place to vent but I need someones advice.

I keep getting phone calls about do I want solar power, refinance my home plumbing insurance, you know the list.
Today at 0500 or there abouts I got a phone call from some clutz in New York saying I needed to call them imediately about the financing of my home!

My home is paid for free and clear so why call them.
0830 received second call saying I had not responded to their calls and my home loan would be turned over to a collection agency.

This is the same company I contacted last week and told them to stop calling me and take me off of their call list.
Was assured it was a mistake to call me and action would be taken. "some action"

The National do not call list is a joke and these boiler room companies know it.
Even the telephone co. ( verizon) is in on the deal with their you gotta take this before the price goes up deals.

Is there any way to stop the calls and junk maillings other than going to court against each one.

I am sick and fed up with them and need to do something about it.
OK rant off!!!!

beekeeper

I feel your pain. I get the same type calls 24/7. Getting their personal info and threatening a telephone harassment charge has worked to a small degree. Most will just hang up when you ask for personal info, but they usually don't call again.
I also have a cell phone # that is one digit off the local non emergency Sheriffs office number. You would not believe how many folks can't dial correctly. I usually try to be helpful, but sometimes it's a strain in the wee hours.
Telephones have become an essential part of our lives, and I guess the aggravations come with the convenience.

Larry Gibson
02-21-2013, 01:50 PM
Might be a legit telemarketer or could be a scam to get your personal info, particularly banking. Seems stupid to me that people really give that info out but it happens all the time.......

Larry Gibson

Hickory
02-21-2013, 02:06 PM
There is in everyone, no matter how small, the need or want,
to not offend the other person on the other end of the phone line.

The way I deal with tel-a-marketers is this;
Long ago I learner that when I pick up the phone
and there is a delay after I say hello and there is no
answer it is someone with a computer that dials phone
numbers at random and it takes a second or two to make
the connection with your phone and the tel-a-marketers phone.

When this happens, I simply hang up, no guilty feelings.
If the connection takes place at a quicker pace and they
begin their sales pitch, just keep saying hello over and over into
the phone as if I can not hear them, I hang up.

Problem solved no ones feeling are damaged.

MtGun44
02-21-2013, 02:24 PM
Same here. If there is a delay more than one or two seconds I hang up. Nails about
95% of the nuisance calls. Mostly let them go to the machine, no messages usually
left by PITA callers.

I pick up, say "Hello" once and if not an instant response, I hang up.

Bill

GRUMPA
02-21-2013, 02:24 PM
Since all we have out here are cell phones the wife lets me handle almost all the calls. my memory isn't the worlds greatest but I'll tell you what, those swear words I learned growing up I have no issues with pulling them from the memory banks and giving them an ear full. Trust me it works and works well, when the wife hears me swearing and caring on she knows who's on the other end, she just grins from ear to ear knowing they will never make that call again.

Hickory
02-21-2013, 02:32 PM
If I am unfortunate enough to answering to my name,
I just tell them that, "Now that I am almost 65 years old, I feel
vulnerable on the telephone and will not make business
transactions over the phone." Then I hang up

trevj
02-21-2013, 02:35 PM
I started to use the telemarketers as a cheap form of entertainment.

The worst thing you can do to them, is to waste their time. So...Waste it.

Take your time, ask lots of questions, fumble around looking for a pen to 'write this down' then go looking for paper, etc.
Play dumb, be 'confused' when they start trying to lead you along, and generally see how long you can get them to try to sell you on whatever it is they are selling, or digging for. Keep having them explain things to you. :)

I kept one particular scammer on the phone for 25 minutes. I claimed, among other things, that I had to go start the generator, before I could start my computer...and on...and on... The guy was way more irate at the end of it all, than I ever have been with telemarketers calling me.
I'm pretty sure he was losing out on his quota that day!

Anyways, that's one way to deal with them.

Cheers
Trev

Beekeeper
02-21-2013, 02:53 PM
I got a letter in the mail this morning.

"Official Government Document"
The Southern California Gas line insurance Co.

It has come to our attention that you have no gas line insurance for the interior of your home.
See attached drawing.They showed a typical house with red lines denoting gas lines from the meter throughout the house!!
The Southern California Gas Line insurance Co. will provide this insurance to you and the price will be added to your local gas bill.
Do not delay as the State of California has stated that homes without Internal Gas Line Insurance will not be reimbursed if there is a similar accident to the one in San Francisco.

Now I am not dumb enough to fall for it but how many old people will, thinking they have no insurance when their homeowners policy covers it?

beekeeper

Echo
02-21-2013, 02:56 PM
+1 for hanging up if there is no reply withing 3-4 seconds - it's my ploy. And the idea of wasting their time has merit - if one has their own time to waste...

Ickisrulz
02-21-2013, 03:01 PM
I started to use the telemarketers as a cheap form of entertainment.

The worst thing you can do to them, is to waste their time. So...Waste it.

Take your time, ask lots of questions, fumble around looking for a pen to 'write this down' then go looking for paper, etc.
Play dumb, be 'confused' when they start trying to lead you along, and generally see how long you can get them to try to sell you on whatever it is they are selling, or digging for. Keep having them explain things to you. :)

I kept one particular scammer on the phone for 25 minutes. I claimed, among other things, that I had to go start the generator, before I could start my computer...and on...and on... The guy was way more irate at the end of it all, than I ever have been with telemarketers calling me.
I'm pretty sure he was losing out on his quota that day!

Anyways, that's one way to deal with them.

Cheers
Trev

This is the way I handle it. Now that I am retired and home all day with the kids I need some form of entertainment.

41 mag fan
02-21-2013, 03:10 PM
Ask your congressman to fire the head of the Federal Trade Commission, aka the FTC. I'm not kiddding. Google "Cardholder Services" to discover just how bad the call situation is and just how useless the "Do Not Call" list is. These callers have been arrested numerous times and given slap-on-the-wrist fines. It is past time to give them (a) a year in jail AND (b) a $1,000,000 fine.

You get those calls from that same outfit?? I've gotten them for yrs now, everytime i try to tell them to stop calling i get a "click". I even played along and tried a ploy of telling them i was in $5000 credit card debt..(I dont even own a credit card!) I got the "click"

One thing you can do though, is if they'll listen long enough without hanging up is tell the tlemarketer you're going to contact the state attorney general...that puts a stop to them real quick

C.F.Plinker
02-21-2013, 03:18 PM
I ask them where they got my number and when they tell me they have a list I just tell them that I only do business with companies that obey federal and state laws and they are currently violating both federal laws as well as Colorado laws and that if I receive a call from them again I will consider it to be a harassing call and have it tracked and file a formal complaint with the carrier.

I have only had to have a call tracked three times (*57 and a $1 charge to your bill) but it stopped the calls immediately.

edler7
02-21-2013, 03:32 PM
Found a few ideas...

Talk really fast.

Turn on the TV. Change the channel to one that only gets static. Turn the volume up really loud. Say that you can’t hear them over the static.

Make up your own language. Speak it.

Hang up.

Make up a one word language. Speak it.

Say, “This phone line is for emergency use only. Do you have an emergency?”

If they say “Yes” to number 6 say, “Please state the nature of the emergency.” Then insist that their emergency isn’t an emergency. Hang up.

If they say “No” to number 6 say, “I’m sorry but this line is for emergencies only.” Hang up.

Pretend you just took hostages, and make demands.

Pretend that you are a hostage negotiator, and try to get the telemarketer to release the hostages.

Order a large pepperoni pizza, some garlic bread, and a meatball sub.

Pretend that your phone line is an automatic phone sex line.

Dial the phone and say, “Hey! I lent you 50 bucks. You better pay up or else I’m gonna come over there and hurt you! “

Repeatedly dial the phone. Mutter that it isn’t ringing.

Claim to be the mafia.

Say, “Moe’s tavern Moe speaking.”

Say something that Moe would say to Bart after Bart makes a prank call.

Ask him/her if he/she would like a magazine or newspaper subscription.

Ask the telemarketer to find your friend Mike last name Rotch. Claim you will only buy a subscription from them.

Say, “Oh no! It’s the Feds! They’re on to us!”

Claim to be the FBI. Say, “This is the Federal Bureau of Investigation. How may I help you?”

Dial *69. Wait about a minute and say, “Damn unreliable *69.”

Speak a foreign language.

If you do # 24 and the telemarketer gets a person who speaks the language you used, speak another language, use a made up language, or say that you were speaking English the whole time.

Pretend that the telemarketer is your husband/wife or boyfriend/girlfriend. Talk sexually, making references to what you are going to do to him/her later tonight. When you “realize” that you are not speaking to your husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend yell, “Pervert!” Slam the phone down to hang up.

Communicate only through Morse code.

Talk to the telemarketer. During the conversation dial the phone, and ask for Bill. Do this repeatedly.

Ask him/her if he/she can smell bacon. Insist that there is a strong scent of bacon over the phone.

Ask if he/she has been to Australia. Regardless of his/her answer ask if you can buy a boomerang and didgeridoo.

Pretend to be an escaped mental patient. Mutter things like, “They’ll never catch me again,” “No! Not the jacket! No, no, no!” After saying one of these mutter incoherently.

Engage him/her in an “intellectual” conversation on an extremely boring subject.
Say nothing until he/she hangs up.

Say, “I told you. I don’t know where your dog is!” Then hang up.

Keep crackers near the phone. When a telemarketer calls eat the crackers. Chew loudly, make slurping noises, and talk with your mouth full. If you want pretend that you are choking.
After he/she hangs up, use *69 or Caller ID to get the phone number. Call the telemarketer.

Ask the telemarketer for his/her home phone number. Claim that you need some time to think, and that you’ll get back to them.

If he/she is selling a newspaper or magazine, go on and on about how great another newspaper/magazine is.

waksupi
02-21-2013, 03:45 PM
I have begun to confuse them. When they start their spiel, I will stop them and ask them how they got this number, and did they know who they had contacted? I tell them this is the NW sector office of Homeland Security. They generally hang up before I can ask their name, and don't call back.

Jim
02-21-2013, 04:06 PM
I have begun to confuse them. When they start their spiel, I will stop them and ask them how they got this number, and did they know who they had contacted? I tell them this is the NW sector office of Homeland Security. They generally hang up before I can ask their name, and don't call back.

Now that one I like!

Le's see, a little practice here.....

Homeland security, Virginia district, Cap'm Morgan speakin'.....

Wha'ya'think? That don't sound too bad, huh?

dbosman
02-21-2013, 04:13 PM
Also, stop your family from filling out entries for free stuff.
When you drop that card, stub, ticket, etc. in their hat - that establishes a prior relationship that allows the prize promoter to call you, even if you are on the do not call list.

km101
02-21-2013, 04:21 PM
After trying for several months to discourage these PITA callers, I just got a cheap answering machine. I left the original recorded msg on it and set it to answer after 2 rings. All calls are answered by the machine. I review msgs once a day (if I feel like it) and delete all that dont interest me. 90% of all calls dont leave a msg. Problem solved!

All family and close friends have my cell phone number and they use that. Their name comes up when they call my cell so I know who it is before I answer. If there is no name displayed, I dont answer. Or as someone stated above, I answer and they get a "good old fashion Texas cussin'" and they generally dont call back. :) One woman actually stayed on the line until I paused for breath, and said "I am offended by your language." I said, "you will really be offended if you call again, 'cause you aint heard nothin' yet!" She never called back!

I may have to try some of the tactics listed above if things get dull, but for now my tactics work.

rockrat
02-21-2013, 04:22 PM
Grandads office phone # was one digit off of the Chevy dealer. When he would answer the phone and someone would ask for parts/service/salesman or something, he would say "police station". Caller would usually hang up real quick and seldom called back.

Sometimes, I act as if there is a bad connection and can't hear them. Sometimes they yell pretty loud, and I mumble, "no one there" and hang up. Usually, if there is a delay, I will either hang up qickly or put my finger on the disconnect button and they moment they start speaking, I hang up.

xs11jack
02-21-2013, 04:23 PM
Jim, you have it down. I am going to use that one too.
Jack

Gliden07
02-21-2013, 04:42 PM
I got rid of my Land Line and went cell phone only. Now I have Caller ID if I don't know the number or the Name doesn't come up I don't call them at all!!

Alvarez Kelly
02-21-2013, 05:01 PM
The wife and I run a business... We have 4 phone numbers. I get calls from all over the US and even Canada. When I get the calls where no one is there, I immediately add that number to my "SCAM, Do Not Answer" contact. Usually... within a day or two, I will get another call from the same number. Since it shows up as SCAM... I don't lose more than a few seconds of my time, as I just mute, and ignore it. A few of them call back over and over, but since they won't leave a message, I am not bothered by them any more. Funny thing though... I get calls from one or two new numbers every month. My list of SCAM numbers just keeps on growing...

Flinchrock
02-21-2013, 05:01 PM

WOW!
HOLY MOSES!
THE SECOND COMING!

I agree with Junior!

Junior1942
02-21-2013, 05:33 PM
WOW!
HOLY MOSES!
THE SECOND COMING!

I agree with Junior!Yep, it's amazing how much they get away with! In and out of courts and given small fines. The FTC does zilch. Give Cardholder Services your credit card number so they can lower your interest rate and soon get $500,000 in fradulent charges. I called my congressman and believe it or not his secretary was also POed about phone calls from Cardholder Services. Google them guys! Then call your congressman!

theperfessor
02-21-2013, 06:16 PM
Our only landline is for our mini-storage business. My wife takes all the calls as the phone is in her office. The business has my name first on the LLC, and I get a lot of calls from people that want to talk to me. My wife won't pass any of them through unless they leave a name, number, and reason for calling. They won't do that, and they won't talk to her, so they get bupkus. She gets it over with in just a few seconds. One guy calls every month, has for the last three or four years, and I've never even heard his voice.

Every business needs a good screener.

.45Cole
02-21-2013, 06:23 PM
dbosman has is right, they seem to get your phone # from the free Chevy at the mall (and your email) I can't convince my mother to stop signing up for the free car. BUT if I'm at her house it's fun to tell them she has recently died in a bear attack or been sent to jail for dealin' or whatever I think is somewhat reasonable.

dbosman
02-21-2013, 07:13 PM
Grandads office phone # was one digit off of the Chevy dealer.

A local hotel published my number in their ad once.
Over and over again they said they couldn't fix the problem.
Finally I told them I was going to start taking reservations.
Somehow they were able to stop the calls.

dakotashooter2
02-21-2013, 07:24 PM
Pick up the phone and when the pitch starts set it down and walk away.

Ask if they have made Jesus Christ their personal savior.

Answer "Kingdom Hall"..........

phonejack
02-21-2013, 07:28 PM
First I say , I have to inform you that , by federal law, I am recording this conversation, what is your complete name ? At this point they hang up. After doing this to credit card services twice, they haven't called back. Been 2 mos. now

phonejack
02-21-2013, 07:43 PM
This is similar. I used to get phone calls late at night for a massage parlor. Discovered my # was one digit different. Then I discovered all of the calls originated from a nearby Holiday Inn. So, the next night I received a call this is what I did:
1. What is your room number ?
2, which credit card will this be charged to ?
3. Credit card number ?
4. Name on credit card ?
5. Expiration date on card ?
6. Number of masseuses requested ?
Of course I never wrote any of this down, then I told the idiot that he had called the wrong number, he has no idea who I really am, and I have his name, credit card number and expiration date.
And then I hung up the telephone. Haven't had a call from the motel in 20 years.

lylejb
02-21-2013, 07:44 PM

Mal Paso
02-21-2013, 07:51 PM
I was in a customers home when a call came in. He answered it, listened a minute, said "They're Dead" and hung up. When he moved in he had left the phone in the previous owners name, who had died quite some time before. Any calls for them were sales. He said nothing ends the conversation like telling them the party they are looking for is dead. He enjoyed it too much.

a.squibload
02-21-2013, 07:57 PM
Good stuff!
If I fill out a form that requires a phone number I enter (area code)555-1212,
it`s a real number (directory information) and satisfies online forms.

Gliden07
02-21-2013, 09:02 PM
They can really be annoying I usually don't talk to them but sometimes I like to mess with them. One called and wanted to send me 10 magazine subscriptions free for a year, at the end of the year I would have to subscribe to 3 of them. I listened to the 3-5 minute spiel never interrupting, at the end he said "So what do you think??" I told him "I would love to buy all 10!!" he was excited and asked for my Credit card info and I responded with "There is one problem though"; Telemarketer- "whats that??"; Me- "I'm BLIND" Telemarketer- "OH MY GOD I"M SO SORRY FOR DISTRIBING YOU!!!" CLICK!!! No more calls!!

Blacksmith
02-21-2013, 09:20 PM
I hate them also. Depending on my mood my response varies I have used many of the ones listed, if I make it a game it isn't so bad. Here are a couple of others I like.

Let them get started with their spiel then say you are very interested but someone is at the door and you'll be right back ................................................

When they start interrupt and say you have thirty seconds to tell me what you are selling 29, 28, 27, 26, 25, etc. they get very frustrated any time they can't follow their script.

My favorite pet peeve is the politicians exempted themselves from the do not call list. So every chance I get I tell them and their staff that any politician who cares so little about my wishes that they will not check the do not call registry certainly will not care about how I view legislation and so will not get my vote. They frequently respond that they are exempt to which I reply that that is one more example of the elitist attitude of elected officials and although they don't have to they could check if they cared about my wishes.

bob208
02-21-2013, 09:32 PM
i have answered with police station. oh he died. made up language. one time i said in my best machine voice warning warning this call has been back traced and a hit man has been sent to your location. city morge and others. it depends if i feel playfull that day.

the hareder things get. the more calls we will be getting.

Hardcast416taylor
02-21-2013, 09:52 PM
Don`t seem to get a live body on the other end of the phone anymore, just robo-calls. The worst of the robo-callers are the peoples election comittee during pre- elections. Caller I.D. is the best thing I have ever done as far as communications go. Of course if you let the machine pick up for you you must endure the 5 or 7 rings your phone is set up for and the resulting robo message they leave. Unhooking the phone is the solution, but then no one can get thru. I kinda miss using all the spicy plumber language I learned over the years as a plumber at these idiots calling. Robert

cbrick
02-21-2013, 10:11 PM
I just screen my calls with Caller ID. If I don't recognize the number, I let it go to Voicemail. The nuisance caller will never leave a message! Last resort, just unplug the phone till you want to use it. Winelover

That's what I do. Phone rings and phone numbers displays on my phone, any number I don't recognize, any area code I don't recognize or blocked caller ID goes to voice mail, rarely do they leave a message. A few also have the name along with the number, I get 3-4 calls a day from Childhood leukemia, several from some island near Seattle and on and on. When I don't know the area code I use the following link to see where it is.

Area code listing by number (http://www.bennetyee.org/ucsd-pages/area.html)

There are some pretty good ideas listed here but rarely do I bother talking with them. One woman I talked with must not have liked the language I used before I hung up on her cause she called right back and announced that she was a lady and should not be spoken to like that. I told her that the lady part hasn’t been proven yet and as for the language since you called me I’d bet that if you don’t call this number again you won’t hear me talking like that.

Rick

VintageRifle
02-21-2013, 10:33 PM
Tell them you will have to get approval from the warden first as you have to go back to your cell.

Area Man
02-21-2013, 11:33 PM
It sounds like you have a land line? If possible ditch the land line And just go cellular. Sales calls are quite rare.

savingprivateyang
02-21-2013, 11:47 PM
Try to hire them for your cold calling company. Tell them you're selling "X" brand product and tell them your commission rate is higher. I used to work telemarketing, those were the most annoying calls.

Alvarez Kelly
02-21-2013, 11:48 PM
It sounds like you have a land line? If possible ditch the land line And just go cellular. Sales calls are quite rare.

Not true at all. My cell gets called constantly by scammers. I have to answer all calls at least once, as I run a business. If it's a scammer, I add the number to my "SCAM, Do Not Answer" contact. I won't answer that number a 2nd time. :-)

TXGunNut
02-22-2013, 12:09 AM
I don't have a land line, haven't for years. TV hasn't been hooked up in awhile either. I quite often give out the phone number for my wireless internet device if pressed for a number, even tho I don't have it anymore. :roll: I recently changed my cell phone number and have neglected to notify most folks that feel entitled to it. I do incoming telephone sales all day and when I get home I generally don't answer the phone, family and friends included.
Unsociable? Mebbe, but it's my phone so leave a message.

TheDoctor
02-22-2013, 09:06 AM
I use an app called call control on my cell. It has a community blacklist of known scammers. If a number calls that you do not wish to speak to ever again, just hit blacklist. You can set it to repond with a text, or just forward all blocked calls to your voicemail. None of them ever leave a voicemail with me. I use a second cell for business.

WILCO
02-22-2013, 09:24 AM
All calls go to voice mail. I sort it out later.

10x
02-22-2013, 10:01 AM
I get these all the time.
The credit card calls are great fun to play with their minds.
The calls where I have "won a cruise" are also great.
I love it when they ask for a credit card number and I explain "The judge only released me from custody so long as I do not apply for a credit card, Can you help me get a credit card? It can't be in my name 'cause then I will go to jail...." Sort of thing.
Most of these calls originate in another country and the caller I.D. is spoofed (false or faked) to show as a local call. The "no call list" does not apply to calls coming from outside the U.S.A. or Canada for that matter.

When I do get a human I always ask what the weather is like there and keep changing the subject.
The "computer services" call telling me they have to fix my computer because it has issues is great fun. I will log in with a laptop running linux under a user account with no files accessible to them. I will then do everything they ask while they try to search my hard drive and install spy ware or trojans. Something they can not do without permission.
It is a time waster but it can be fun...

Cactus Farmer
02-22-2013, 08:56 PM
If it's a female, ask 'em how bit their t*ts are? They called you so it can't be sexual harassment,right?

facetious
02-23-2013, 05:51 AM
Try taking the number and Googleing it and see all the complaints for that number.
Last night I called the wife at home and she told me that she had just got a call from some one telling her thy were coming in the morning to pour us a new driveway and that i had talked to them all ready. NO I DIDN'T! So i Googled the number and it came up on a site where you can post numbers that are scams. Now to see if thy show up:twisted:. We have the number for the police sitting by the phone just waiting.

Wal'
02-23-2013, 08:52 AM
I just ask them to hold while I get the owner of the residence to come to the phone, put it down & walk away. :twisted:

Jeffrey
02-23-2013, 10:17 AM
Tom Mabe has the best ever technique for handeling telemarketers. Check him out, not with anything in your mouth. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7OgWcwgB50

Gliden07
02-23-2013, 11:01 AM
Tom Mabe has the best ever technique for handeling telemarketers. Check him out, not with anything in your mouth. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7OgWcwgB50

That was awesome!!! LOL!!!

imashooter2
02-23-2013, 11:15 AM
I say "WOW! Hold on, let me get my credit card." Then I put the phone down and hang it back up when I hear the "off the hook" warble. Sometimes they stay on the line for a l o o o o o n g time. :)

cbrick
02-23-2013, 11:22 AM
Another Tom Mabe Telemarketer call.

Rick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8vrfDmr2C4

TXGunNut
02-23-2013, 12:40 PM
Almost hurt myself on that second one. :mrgreen: I've borrowed parts of the first one for really persistent callers. "Oh, you're the one that ripped me off selling XYZ, where the hell are you?" I wonder what kind of war stories telemarketers tell.

fcvan
02-23-2013, 01:15 PM
When the kids were younger they loved it because I'd usually do some improve routine. If it was just me at home I would say 'hang on a minute, set down the phone and walk away.' One of my favorite things was to ask them which company they were calling from and I would excitedly say 'Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! This is the third time your company has called since I complained and according to FCC regulations I get a $500 reward from the $1000 fine your company has to pay. What was your name again?' Click, silence, no future calls from that number.

William Yanda
02-23-2013, 09:41 PM
Found a few ideas...

Talk really fast.

If he/she is selling a newspaper or magazine, go on and on about how great another newspaper/magazine is.

ROTFL
There ought to be a law about how your offspring can use their smart phones
I realized that I had an audience-recording my laughter.
The bacon idea was really good.
Back to local programming
Bill

facetious
02-24-2013, 06:08 AM
Well thy never showed up! On the phone with my wife thy told her that i had signed a contract and that she HAD to give them the info that thy wanted! (No she did not give them anything and hung up )Then thy have the nerve to not show up. Man i was all ready to let go of all my frustrations. It is one thing to try and sell you something but it is another thing to lie like that to try and trick some one in to something.

Mike in TX
02-24-2013, 08:13 AM
I had a stepson who was having financial problems and lived at home. Then he left to live on his own. A collection agency, which has the right to call, refused to believe that he had moved and had no telephone. We got 2 calls on one day from the CA. On the second one I identified myself as detective ##### and that I was investigating a homicide at this site. I requested the name of the caller who asked me why did I need his name. I stated that he was under suspicion of murder as I believed that he was calling to see if the dirty deed had been done and to see if it was the intended person. I then asked for the company's name and the owners name. CLICK Never heard from them again.

Mike B

02-24-2013, 08:52 AM
I actually had a PETA random phone call and as soon as it was clear they were making the cold call, I briskly interrupted her, and in my best hurried - you've interrupted me - voice I admonished her with, "Hey, if this is a call about the wild game cookbook, I've got plenty and don't need anymore." There was a noticeable pause and a stuttering response. I hope she has nightmares.

blackthorn
02-24-2013, 12:09 PM
Quote--"I actually had a PETA random phone call and as soon as it was clear they were making the cold call, I briskly interrupted her, and in my best hurried - you've interrupted me - voice I admonished her with, "Hey, if this is a call about the wild game cookbook, I've got plenty and don't need anymore." There was a noticeable pause and a stuttering response. I hope she has nightmares."

I just read this to my wife and she almost spit up her breakfast smoothie! Good one!

imashooter2
02-24-2013, 12:11 PM
LOL! This thread should be retitled "Harassing phone callers." :)

10x
02-24-2013, 01:01 PM
LOL! This thread should be retitled "Harassing phone callers." :)

Indeed, I look forward to doing the next survey.

One "survey" I fondly recall

"Do you own your home?"
"No, the church owns it, we live here at their pleasure."
"Do you rent your home?"
"No, the church lets us live here - we do work for them."

"Do you have a television in your home?"
"No the church does not allow that."
"how many hours of television do you watch?
"The church suggests we do not watch television"
"how many people live in your home?"
"Just me and my three wives..."
"That would be 4 adults then?"
"yes."
"How many children live in your home?"
"none, all the children live in a separate compound with my other two wives."

"Sir, this is not part of the survey, just how many wives do you have?"
"One legal, and her five sister church wives."
"Sir, how does that work?"
"not bad when they don't fight.."
"Sir, I am ending the survey now..."