PDA

View Full Version : What happened to primers?

chiefpd7
02-21-2013, 10:10 AM
Midwayusa has zero primers. Natchez is stand in line. Seems like if you can't prevent the ownership of firearms you simply control the flow of ammo. Just like 22LR. Where did that disappear to?

Bonz
02-21-2013, 10:14 AM
Every supplier that I have talked to give the same story. US Government & Military have the highest priority. Ammunition manufacturers have first shot at all components and of course, they have to fill orders for the US Government & Military first. Whatever reloading components are not taken by the Ammunition manufacturers are made available to us, the reloaders ;-)

41 mag fan
02-21-2013, 10:38 AM
Midwayusa has zero primers. Natchez is stand in line. Seems like if you can't prevent the ownership of firearms you simply control the flow of ammo. Just like 22LR. Where did that disappear to?

Man, where you been for the last month or so?? Hiding under a rock? :kidding:
The greatest gun salesman in history has convinced the gun buyer to spend spend spend to help boost the eceonomy

bassnbuck
02-21-2013, 10:38 AM
I put in a back order with mid south yesterday. CCI lps are back ordered till September. Federal lps will be available in march. It depends on what you want, how long you wait. I had used cci for brass for over 40 years, till yesterday.:)http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

rintinglen
02-21-2013, 03:25 PM
I realize that it is not helpful to be told to buy a bucket when you are thirsty right now. But this will pass. My advice is to save up your money, wait out the storm, and then stock up when things return to normal. We have gone through this before, albeit not to this degree, but panic buying results in purchasing what we don't want. Wait it out, make do with what you have, and then lay in 6 month supply for the next drought. What we see today is no different than what our parents and grand parents had to contend with during World War 2. Over-reaching, egotistical, Tyrants, bent on domination, posed threats to individual liberty that resulted in shortages. Only difference is, this one is home grown.

MtGun44
02-21-2013, 03:55 PM
LOL! Welcome to our world.

This started in November, and got a LOT worse after all the gov't crazies started talking
confiscation and bans.

Bill

fredj338
02-21-2013, 04:08 PM

Wow, where have you been? Since Jan, ammo & components have been in short supply as everyone stocks up for impending Federal & local law changes. Every govt level wants to raise more $$ & all kinds fo stupid taxes & fees are being proposed. Plus lots of bills in the works tolimit access to ammo & probably components too. So everyone is stocking up. I expect it to continue thru the 2014 election cycle, but I hope I am wrong.

remy3424
02-21-2013, 05:06 PM
I thought it was worse 4 years ago when Obama was elected, but this isn't over. We won't see an end to this until they either get some type of gun control measure pushed through or quit trying to push it through. This you could see coming the day after Sandy Hook happened and it still took almost a month for people who didn't re-stock 4 years ago clean off the shelves again.
In Iowa we had a mid-term run on handgun ammo 2 years ago when they opened up the conceal carry law and everyone with a pulse now has a permit to carry in this state. This was fine, I haven't fired a factory load in a rifle or handgun in many years, except for rimfires and some shotgun shells.

Ben
02-21-2013, 05:23 PM
Has someone already mentioned " Where have you been ? "

RG1911
02-21-2013, 05:28 PM
With ammunition supplies drying up, and prices of what's left skyrocketing, a bunch of people suddenly decided that the answer was to reload. There went a large portion of reloading supplies. And don't even think about trying to buy reloading equipment. All the manufacturers have multi-month backlogs.

I think it was on another board, a Sierra employee said they were on a mandatory 54-hour (or was it 58-hour?) work-week to try to meet demand.

And don't even get me started on the parts for my new rifle that were on order well before the insanity struck. It could be a year before I get the Krieger barrel and Armalite upper parts.

Richard

Dragoon454
02-21-2013, 09:00 PM
So far from my point of view this is no different than it was after Obama initially got elected. Primers and ammo were hard to come by then, but eventually it eased up. In my area 22 LR was hit or miss well before Sandy Hook, some Wal-Marts in this area haven't seen bulk 22 LR in well over 6 months. I've looked at 9mm and 22LR at gun shows and it is obvious that many dealers are buying at WM and reselling. I've seen Blazer Brass going for $20/box at a gun show and left there and bought for $9.97/box at WM and this was before the current madness. Just give it time and when things settle both ammunition and components will be readily available. The key is making sure you have more on hand than you anticipate using.

I don't have near the budget that most on this forum seem to have, but I am pretty well stocked. What I do is buy a box here and there to supplement my stockpile as I have available funds. I'll stroll through the sporting goods dept at WM and if anything I shoot is in stock I will pick up a box or two if funds permit. Too bad my local WM doesn't sell primers as that's where I'm short. Give it time and all will be good once again, just get a better stockpile going for the next hoorah.

btroj
02-21-2013, 09:03 PM
What happened? They got bought. And bought. And bought.

Demand exceeds production.

This is old news. Been going on for a few months.

DLCTEX
02-21-2013, 09:12 PM
Maybe the OP is really Rip Van Winkle?:-D

Uncle Grinch
02-21-2013, 09:19 PM
We are the victims of our own greed and fear.

fredj338
02-21-2013, 09:24 PM
We are the victims of our own greed and fear.

I don't think it's greedy to have what you need. Fear, sure, but not unfounded. Look at the idiots in your local & Federal govt. All PBO needs is to win the house in 14 & he is working hard for that. Then you can kiss the 2A bye, bye.

K7addict
02-21-2013, 09:37 PM
What happened to primers?

I bought them all. Sorry guys. :D Seriously though, I bought in bulk right after the SH Incident. I had a reasonable supply but not enough to hold off a drought which I figured was inbound. I'm still fortunate enough to find SP Primers and 22lr locally in SoCal and SOME powders & primers in another spot at regular prices. Just grabbed 1K of SP Primers for my father in law who was running low.

Can't wait until the craze dies down though, several friends are interested in reloading and while my press,dies,chrono & books are all open for the price of good company, my supplies are not. Here's to planning for the worst and hoping for the best.

LUCKYDAWG13
02-21-2013, 09:48 PM
i betcha most of us were boy scouts
be prepared better to have then want

Pirate69
02-21-2013, 09:56 PM
Could this have something to do with it?

The Department of Homeland Security has purchased 1.4 billion rounds of ammunition- that is not a typo -- during the last six months. This includes 450 million rounds of .40 hollow point, 200 million rounds of .223 rifle ammunition, and 176,000 rounds of .308 168-grain hollow point boat tail (HPBT) that is used almost exclusively as ammo for sniper rifles.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2012/09/why_does_homeland_security_need_14_billion_rounds_ of_ammunition.html#ixzz2LaZpX2ni
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

Jailer
02-21-2013, 10:41 PM
They're all at my house. :twisted: :Fire:

02-21-2013, 11:19 PM
Chiefpd7, if you need primers, log onto Gunbroker and hope your credit card isn't maxed out.

The same thing's going on now that went on through most of '08 and '09 -- politics, war, hoarders, uncertainty, Second Amendment attacks . . . Stick around, it'll happen again.

Jethro
02-21-2013, 11:38 PM
Thank God for my BP flintlocks. I can make black powder and find flint on the ground around my house.

Super Sneaky Steve
02-22-2013, 12:17 AM
My LGS has primers....at $60/1000 :???:

They will also sell you a Glock, but it only comes with one magazine. They are pulling the rest out of the box and selling them seperately.

Harter66
02-22-2013, 01:04 AM
There's a problem? :-)

I know a place w/all Winchester LRM you could want,not much else.
I stocked up what I could when I could. I tried for 10k of each,didn't make it. This will settle down soon.

mpmarty
02-22-2013, 01:14 AM
I don't care about any of this shortage stuff. Suspecting the worst when McCain was put up as a straw man to oppose the Obaminator I went on a buying spree and am set for life for primers and powder. I saw it coming and acted to protect my interests.

Ole
02-22-2013, 02:46 AM
This has happened before and will probably happen again. Stack it deep when the shelves are plentiful.

P.K.
02-22-2013, 07:39 AM
This has happened before and will probably happen again. Stack it deep when the shelves are plentiful.

Don't forget the odd sonotube or some PVC pipe to put away your "rainy day fund.";-)

chiefpd7
02-22-2013, 10:21 AM
For those who wonder where I've been for posting the original thread, my twins have decided to get married in the same year. There was no time or money to consider fun. But, that being said, you all are right - wait out the storm, save your money, and the sweep the shelves when the sun comes out. 😎

P.K.
02-22-2013, 03:23 PM
For those who wonder where I've been for posting the original thread, my twins have decided to get married in the same year. There was no time or money to consider fun. But, that being said, you all are right - wait out the storm, save your money, and the sweep the shelves when the sun comes out. ��

Well are Congrats! in order or something else? J/K and it's all in good fun.

chiefpd7
02-22-2013, 04:34 PM
I'm not sure. They come off my paycheck, but only after they break me. It's good to have a distracting hobby.

CAVEMTNMAN
02-22-2013, 06:12 PM
Priate69 is right, I read that if all the ammo that the DHS has bought in the last six months was put in tractor-trailers, they would be lined up for 14 miles.

MtGun44
02-23-2013, 03:42 AM
The billion round buy is BS. Misread by the reporters of the order specs.

Bill

10mmShooter
02-23-2013, 09:11 AM
Chief

You can get them off GB...you should be able to grab a case of 5000 at $200-$250....which really is not too bad given the ridiculious prices I've seen on other components.

beas
02-23-2013, 03:11 PM
As far as the buy from homeland security, best I can tell, the Coast Gaurd, Border patrol, and several other agencies fall under their flag. Whatever the number of rounds actually is, thats where they are going.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Coast_Guard

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Border_Patrol

43PU
02-23-2013, 03:47 PM
I work at a gun store and we just got a shipment in today and the prices jumped up to almost 70$ yes that is seventy dollars a 1000!!!!

Shiloh
02-23-2013, 05:44 PM
What was left on store shelves got snapped up when folks realized what was coming.
What is being produced will go into loaded ammo. When demands are met, the shelves will be restocked.
Could be limited shooting unless you have a supply of primers, powders, and .22 ammo.

SHiloh