PDA

View Full Version : Powder Coated Bullet Crimping

LubeckTech
02-21-2013, 01:51 AM
I am going to experiment with some powder coated 200gr bullets in my .357. The target velocity will be 1000fps. Normally I use a firm roll crimp supplied by a Lee Factory crimp die. Will this crimp damage the coating??

bryonbush
02-21-2013, 04:11 AM
nope! found that out today. i loaded some 40's and was having trouble with the new Lyman M die. after several, what seemed to be tight bullet seating, i pulled a bullet to check it out. i then ran a few through my FCD and pulled one as well. do damge to the bullet. then again, whats your definition of a"firm roll crimp"

popper
02-21-2013, 10:52 AM
I don't roll crimp but it shouldn't hurt the coating. Now, what happens to the coating and lead when you fire is another question. If you crimp in a groove I don't think it will make any difference - I'll find out when I shoot the 308s. I FCD into the groove. Byronbush - which M plug do you have? Mine is .397 so I just coated the RCBS plug to build up the dia. for cast. It's lasted > 1K rnds.

LubeckTech
02-21-2013, 11:37 AM
I will try to post some pictures of the crimp I have been using on my .357 loads. The reason I brought this up is the guy at Precision Bullet says not to roll crimp his product - http://www.precisionbullets.com/index.html
So far I have loaded but not shot some .45acp SWC 200 grain coated Lee cast bullets that are taper crimped with a Lee FCD. I have pulled a couple and had no damage. Tonight (if the weather holds) I hope to cast some .358 200gr slugs to work with. I am using the Harbor Frieght stuff.

gpidaho
06-06-2014, 07:38 PM
Lubeck Tech: ive been using my Redding profile crimp die with good results. Nothing full tilt yet as I just got going on this PC think. been crimping to the point that the roll crimp starts to take over from the taper crimp. I will post again when I see what happens with heavier bullet and slower powder. So far, PC looking promising. Havent leaded a revolver in a long time without doing something I know to be wrong but I think PC makes no lead a pretty safe bet. GP

petroid
06-06-2014, 08:52 PM
Those bullets do not appear to have a crimping groove. Or any grooves for that matter. I would think that a taper crimp would be appropriate.

mdi
06-07-2014, 12:24 PM
I believe the Precision bullets are made without grooves, made for taper crimping (at least all the Precision bullets I have purchased are...). Roll crimping may damage/cut into the coating and cause problems...