PDA

View Full Version : want to get started - questions

Jnestle
02-21-2013, 01:17 AM
I have finally decided it is time to start casting. I have been handloading for about six years and mostly load .40 cal S&W, .243, .270 WSM. I have a pretty decent understanding of handloading and make some pretty good ammo. However, to the questions:

1. Is there one book or reference that can take a beginner and walk him through the entire process of casting, and even include the loading process for a finished cartridge?

2. Can someone chime in on everything I will need to get started, OR presumably the book in question above will answer this question?

3. Can some of the experts here give me some good advice that books usually don't provide? From my handloading experience, I learned that experience will always provide some gems of information that books don't.

I am glad I found this forum and look forward to be corresponding with other members. From lurking for about three days I can see that we have some very knowledgeable people in here.

Thanks in advance,

Jnestle

runfiverun
02-21-2013, 02:05 AM
i'm gonna give you a welcome aboard.
and let others handle your questions.
a lot of the new guy's would be able to answer what works best now day's.
or what they done and would do differently.

somedude101
02-21-2013, 02:43 AM
As a bare minimum I would suggest some Lee molds (there cheap and if you screw them up somehow your not out much) and a bottom pour pot. You can usually load boolets as cast, if not a lee sizer is pretty cheap. Lube is important I started out with Lee liquid alox and have found Recluse's formula for tumble lubing and I really like it. So far as books the castpics link at the bottom of the page has some really good articles, and Lyman cast bullet handbook has allot of good info. I am relatively new to casting myself, and I'm hooked.

dilly
02-21-2013, 02:59 AM
I learned a lot from my Lyman cast bullet manual. If you cast much you will need a cast bullet manual anyway.

Unless you have unlimited resources, a lot of people start with less equipment and build on it as the need arises. To start, you will need all the safety equipment, a pot in which you can melt lead or a furnace, a bullet mold, and some way to pour the lead. You also need a way to lube the bullet. Lee liquid Alox has very low cost and is super easy, and comes with their cheap sizing kits.

If you have an old fish fryer and cast iron pot, you can make or scavenge most of the equipment and buy the rest for under $50.

Like reloading in general, there are all sorts of crazy contraptions that make your life so much easier, but those catch your eye as you go and you will find what is important to you based on your budget. You will find that quality increases as you spend money to a degree.

I think it is easier to cast handgun boolits at first as I shoot more of them and I scrutinize them a little less than rifle boolits.

Maybe this will get you started, other folds wiser than me post here.

Hounddog
02-21-2013, 04:09 AM
First thing I would worry about if I was starting out today would be securing a good source of lead. I have access to unlimited range scrap, but I have to dig it up and melt it all down. Some guys use wheel weights, but those are getting harder to come by. Lots of folks sell processed lead on this board and some scrap yards near you may sell as well.

Once that's nailed down get yourself the Lyman cast book and the Lee book. Those will give you the best info for loading cast. Also download "from ingot to target" from the links on this site.

The equipment you get to start with will mostly depend on how much you care to spend. Gonna need some molds. Lee's are 20-30 but have handles. Lyman's and RCBS go for around 50-80 plus gonna need handles. Lots of custom mold makers 80-150+ (NOE, Accurate, MP, NEI, Ballista Cast, Mountain Molds, etc..). If you are gonna process your own ingots you need a heat source and a pot to melt your lead in plus something to make ingots. I use a steel pot on a lp gas turkey fryer to melt my range scrap. I use sawdust (free) to flux and pour the lead into various cookie tins and cupcake pans to form small ingots.

Next you need to decide if you wanna ladle pour the lead into your molds or bottom pour. Both lee and Lyman make regular and bottom pour lead pots. RCBS has their Pro-melt bottom pour pot which is like the Cadillac of pots. I have a Lee 4-20 bottom pour and wouldn't bother with anything smaller.

Once you are making boolits, you gotta lube them. Easiest way is to tumble lube with alox like Lee Liquid alox or mix alox and paste wax. If you choose to use traditional lube you can either pan lube (pour melted lube into pans with boolits stood upright, then punch out bullets when lube cools) or you can buy a lube sizer which will size and lube your bullets. Lyman, RCBS, and Star all make great lube sizes but you gotta have sizing dies and top punches for the calibers and boolits you shoot. Lube sizes run 150-300 bucks plus 15-30 each for sizing dies and don't forget the top punches. Most who tumble lube just load and shoot without sizing but for that odd mold that drops a fat boolit, lee makes a great sizing die kit that will get it down to the proper size. Pan lubed boolits can also be sized this way.

So as you can see it all depends on how much you wanna spend. If you wanna do it on the cheap get some lee tumble lube molds, either a bottom pour 4-20 pot or a regular pot and a ladle, some lee push through sizers (which come with a bottle of liquid alox) and buy some ingots from some good folks here on the board. You'll be shooting your own boolits in no time!

Don't forget basic safety gear. Moltent lead is very hot and just a few drops will ruin your day. Always wear gloves and long sleeves. Get a pair of safety glasses. Keep your casting area well ventilated. Moisture and moltent lead don't mix and wash your hands before you do anything else.

No matter what you decide, read all you can on here and in your loading books and don't be afraid to keep posting here. These guys on here know everything and won't steer you in the wrong direction. Be warned too, molds like to multiply. You'll have way too many before you know it.

Hounddog

dromia
02-21-2013, 04:42 AM
Welcome to the forum and the world of cast boolits.

The best books are the Lyman Cast Bullet handbooks, the fourth edition is the most current but worth getting the other three as well. The NRA book is also well worth having if you can get hold of a copy at decent money. The best source bar none is here however, you have already been given one persons take on your question already, ask your questions and take time to do searches and read the stickies, all the information is here and a little time spent getting your head round Cast Boolits will be time well spent and will ultimately show in the quality of your boolits.

cbrick
02-21-2013, 08:07 AM
Welcome to CastBoolits Jnestle,

Here is a must read book and it's free. I recommend downloading and printing it out.

From Ingot to Target (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf)

Rick

williamwaco
02-22-2013, 09:05 PM
Welcome to CastBoolits Jnestle,

Here is a must read book and it's free. I recommend downloading and printing it out.

From Ingot to Target (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf)

Rick

DITTO.

This is the absolute, unmatched, compendium, for new and old casters.

Right behind it is the Lyman Cast Bullet Manual.

http://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Cast-Bullet-Handbook-Edition/dp/B004DWBKQY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361581468&sr=8-1&keywords=lyman+cast+bullet+handbook

Then you will have many specific questions that are not covered or are unclear in those sources.

When that happens, come here with those questions.

Idaho Mule
02-22-2013, 10:11 PM
Welcome jnestle, you have found the right internet site for your quest. As said before the Lyman cast bullet handbooks are a great place to start. I would suggest you do lots of reading the manuals, and here, before spending much money. The research should help you make up your mind about which way you want to go as far as bottom pour or ladle. I have to say tho that this place is a wealth of information so keep checking back and asking questions. Welcome to the madness, you will enjoy it. JW

flipajig
02-22-2013, 11:06 PM
Welcom to the bord.
I agree with all that has been stated above the one thing I will sagest is start with one Boolit to get familiar with how it is all done and then move on to others take your time and enjoy and have fun.
Flip