PDA

View Full Version : Slugging barrel with 18 BHN lead bullet?

Ram
02-20-2013, 04:00 PM
Hi everyone,
New here & I'm just getting into casting. If this has been asked before ,I apologize, did a search but couldn't find this question. I have some 18 BHN Missouribullet 124 gr 9mm boolits & was wondering if I can safely slug my 9mm barrels with this. It seems the consensus is to use pure soft lead round balls, but I don't have any on hand & was thinking of slugging the barrel tonight. Is 18 bhn going to damage my barrel?

Thanks!
--Ram

felix
02-20-2013, 04:10 PM
No, but use a plastic/rubber hammer to get the ball/boolit directly started just in case you hit something not desired. After inserted, push the ball gently by tapping on a well protected ramrod at the ball area especially. I use fully waxed wooded rods of the correct diameter from hardware store instead of a "narrow" (coated or not) ramrod. ... felix

Slug each of the cylinder exit holes on revolvers to see if they are too small for the barrel. The average size of the cylinder hole balls is the chosen diameter of the boolits made out of wheel weights you will shoot. By far best to have each cylinder hole the exact same. ... felix

Ram
02-20-2013, 04:28 PM
Thanks a lot felix! I think I'll go get a wooden rod from home depot tonight.

GLL
02-20-2013, 04:43 PM
Read this BEFORE you proceed with the wooden dowel plan !

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?102629-Removing-Stuck-Wooden-Dowel-and-Soft-Lead-Sinker-from-a-barrel&highlight=wooden+dowel

Jerry

02-20-2013, 04:58 PM
Man, don't use a wooden dowel, use a brass rod, instead. Buy 1/4" rod, cut to length, and put a slight raduis on the end that will be going in the barrel and cylinder throats.

Ram
02-20-2013, 05:32 PM
Thanks guys...looks like I'll be going with a brass rod. Last thing I want is the rod breaking in the barrel!