PDA

View Full Version : Sore fingers!!!! Gotta be a better (cheap) way to lube

Foxcatcher
02-20-2013, 10:05 AM
Lubed about 200 bullets last night. For now, I am using a slightly over sized case to cut the bullets from the lube. Pressing that case into that many bullets has my thumb feeling like and over-ripe plumb.

Gotta be a better way to pan lube bullets in large numbers.

Don

375RUGER
02-20-2013, 10:08 AM
don't let the lube get so hard

bradb
02-20-2013, 10:54 AM
don't let the lube get so hard

Yes, wait till the lube is just solidified then go to town. It's like butter then.

bruce drake
02-20-2013, 11:00 AM
Also, get a wooden ball from your local hardware store and drill a socket to slip the case head in and glue it in place. Makes for a easier grip to push into the lube cake. The other's advice is helpful as well.

Centaur 1
02-20-2013, 11:25 AM
What caliber? Make a cutter from a larger sized rifle case that's the same caliber, something that's easier to hold on to. I make mine using a nail head to push the boolit back out. Drill a hole through the primer and flash hole that's slightly oversized for the nail shaft to pass through, then top the nail point with a short piece of 1/2" dowel rod for your thumb to push the boolit out. Use your case deburring tool to put a full chamfer the inside of the case. You want a knife edge on the outside of the case mouth so you don't scrape the bullet while cutting the lube.

HATCH
02-20-2013, 11:45 AM
get a Magma Star then you will just have a sore shoulder.. LMAO

Rocky Raab
02-20-2013, 12:17 PM
Ahem...

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/RockyRaab/IMG_0551.jpg

rintinglen
02-20-2013, 12:31 PM
A better use for a golf ball, I never saw. Knew they had to be good for something.

mdi
02-20-2013, 12:58 PM
For my home made "cake cutters". I found stainless steel tubing of slightly smaller size than the OD of the bullet. I reamed/drilled the tubing to a few thousandths over bullet dia and tapered one end (a cutting edge). Mine are about 8 inches long and I use a dowel ro push the bullets out once there are 4 or 5 inside.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?181991-Making-boolit-cutters&highlight=cake+cutters

john hayslip
02-20-2013, 01:02 PM
I usually just pull the whole "cake" out of the pan and press the "boolits" out base first. Works for me. If a large number I use a piece of wood to keep my thumb from getting sore.

BLTsandwedge
02-20-2013, 01:27 PM
Rocky,

Don't be doin' that wit' new ProV1s......

montana_charlie
02-20-2013, 02:02 PM
Pressing that case into that many bullets has my thumb feeling like and over-ripe plumb.
You should probably just buy commercially cast and lubed bullets ...

CM

Smitty's Retired
02-20-2013, 02:23 PM
I usually just pull the whole "cake" out of the pan and press the "boolits" out base first. Works for me. If a large number I use a piece of wood to keep my thumb from getting sore.

This works for me, plus I invested in some silicone bakeware, makes removing the cake a ...........Well ................... a piece if cake.[smilie=1:

mkf350
02-20-2013, 02:59 PM
Make your kids do it! ;)

km101
02-20-2013, 03:03 PM
A better use for a golf ball, I never saw. Knew they had to be good for something.

You took the words right out of my mouth!! LMAO

drinks
02-20-2013, 03:11 PM
I am totally lazy, I melt the lube in a shallow can, keep it liquid with a hot plate, set the bullets on their base in enough lube to come about to the top lube groove, watch the lube, when it climbs up the bullet, the bullet is hot enough, I use forceps or long nose pliers, take the bullets out and set them on a flat metal surface to cool.

uscra112
02-20-2013, 04:02 PM
Not as droll as a golf ball, but I can use it two-handed. Yes, that's my lube pan. No, I do not fry eggs in Xlox.

Foxcatcher
02-20-2013, 04:17 PM
You should probably just buy commercially cast and lubed bullets ...

CM

Sorry sir, think I'll keep plugging away at it. Not a wuss either.

As far as kids, that might be a good enough reason to have one.

Now the golfball idea, that's nice!!!

Will have to work on some of the suggestions posted so far. This is a great group. Very helpful!!!

Don

Rocky Raab
02-20-2013, 06:56 PM
I think I'm down to my last gallon bucket of junk golf balls. I once found three DOZEN of them while playing a round. (A youth tournament had just finished, and kids don't bother to look for balls they didn't buy with their own money...)

Here's my other use for one, but they make great file handles, too. Perfect size, nice texture, stay clean, easy to drill, and FREE - what's not to like?

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/RockyRaab/IMG_3296.jpg

02-20-2013, 09:10 PM
The best use for a golf ball is as a handgun target.

uscra112
02-21-2013, 02:17 AM

Yeah, they're too big to make interesting rifle targets........

44man
02-21-2013, 12:47 PM
WHAT is golf? OH heck, Obama stuff. A good reason to make it illegal.

NVScouter
02-21-2013, 01:20 PM
I just keep my lube in a small crockpot. I have a tweezers with teeth and dip the boolits, touch to the hot crockpot to remove excess and place on wax paper. I can do hundreds an hour with now less extra lube on the boolits and less mess. I was about to buy a lubrisizer when I started doing this, now no need.

HangFireW8
02-21-2013, 01:28 PM
WHAT is golf? OH heck, Obama stuff. A good reason to make it illegal.

Ever google "golf course" and "fertilizer"? Those places are real ecological hazards!

grouch
02-21-2013, 01:44 PM
Why not just hand lube? Seat your bullets on the gas check or base band, apply your choice of automotive or heavy equipment grease, seat to desired depth and wipe clean. Faster than it sounds, no expensive equipment, lubricants are as good as most, no sore fingers.
Grouch

trevj
02-21-2013, 02:48 PM

File handles!

Drill a hole in the side, and press one on each file you own. Never an excuse to not have a file with a handle, then.

Oh. Wear eye protection when drilling. Some golf balls have been made with a core full of mineral oil. By the time they build the rest of the ball around it, the core is under some considerable pressure.

Cheers
Trev