PDA

View Full Version : Lee 358-140-SWC in 9mm?

pastorcurtis
02-20-2013, 12:21 AM
Has anyone experimented with this combination? I've searched the archive and found a few people who mentioned it - but I'm still looking for some more concrete information. I've loaded a few dummy rounds but have to set the bullet VERY deep to get it to chamber in my Lone Wolf barrel for the Glock 19.

So, if you have loaded this, I'd appreciate hearing your results including OAL and power charge.

Thanks,
pastorcurtis

RG1911
02-21-2013, 06:03 PM
First let me say that I have not loaded this combination.

That said, there's a commercial jacketed 147-grain load. It *may* be a subsonic round; I'm not sure. But it seems to indicate that a 140-grain cast (probably sized to .356) should work. Depending on how much space is taken up inside the case by the bullet, you would want to be cautious about your starting charge of powder. I'd suggest seeing if the Lyman manuals have information about heavier cast bullets in the 9mm.

Richard

Raven_Darkcloud
02-21-2013, 06:25 PM
It would depend on the gun. The swc may not cycle well in all simi autos. That said I have been thinking of trying a swc in some 9's not to mention this year I plan to get my wife and I matching 38's for our anniversary so it would not be a wasted purchase. I like using the .358 molds as poly guns (glock, h&k) tend to need a bigger boolit.

Case Stuffer
02-21-2013, 06:50 PM
I have shot thousands of Lyman 135 gr. SWC 38 hard cast sized to .357 in a Browning High Power years ago. I throated it so I could seat the forward band out .060 to keep pressure down using the same load I used for 125 gr. LRN 4.8 grains WW231.

I also loaded some seated deeper and used a reduced load of 4.4 grains of WW231.

I now have a XD Sub Compact and have shot a couple of hundred rounds with the SWC seated with forward band 0.020 out , 4.8 grains WW231 and they are a bit warm but no high pressure signs except for flattened Federal SP primers. CCI SP primers show no signs of flattening. I thing I love about the XD is that the barrel lines up with trounds in the mag. a lot better than the Browning did so no gun smithing has been required to get it to feed everything I have tried.

I have allways measured the total bullet length ,total length of striaght section ,case length and done the math to calculate depth of bullet in the case and adjusted power charge accordingly.

Update:
Correction I had to go down to my shop so checked and 135SWC mold is a Lyman #142 . Boolite length is .578 and OAL length is 1.010 and again XP 9 Sub Compact handles these just fine however that is a lot of lead down in the case , 0.320" give or take..Charge 4.8 gr. WW231

mo_bio
02-21-2013, 09:34 PM
Have some .357 147 g on way to try. Will let you know how they shoot

Raven_Darkcloud
02-21-2013, 11:38 PM
Sweet.

Shiloh
02-22-2013, 04:44 PM
They don't feed reliably for me.
I ordered it originally for the 9mm but use it in the .38 special as well.
If I ever get an aftermarket barrel, I my have it tweaked. That boolit is about as heavy as I would go for the 9mm, but the LEE 105 would be sweet.

Shiloh