PDA

View Full Version : 32 H&R Mag for piggies

Redd508
02-20-2013, 12:14 AM
Can it be loaded up enough to cleanly take medium sized hogs? Lets say up to 150 lbs at handgun ranges. Has anyone done it?

Olevern
02-20-2013, 10:47 AM
So long as you don't value your hide, no problem, they will eventually die when shot enough times (or one time in exactly the right place). If'n you're good enough to hit that 'exactly right place' on a hog on the run or one intent on immediately doing you personal harm, have at it!

(I would recommend you buy a suture kit or medical staple gun if you are hunting any distance from a hospital)

gunfan
02-20-2013, 11:19 AM
While I enjoy the cartridge, I believe that it's far too light (lack of penetration due to sectional density and velocity) to be suited for the task. The .357 S&W Magnum loaded with hard cast 158-200 grain bullets ahead of a stiff load of WW-296 would provide a measure of safety and security when you attempt to stop a porker of any size.

Scott

Baron von Trollwhack
02-20-2013, 11:44 AM
Why not? Many people have long taken all sorts of wild game with minimal/marginal, loads or cartridges. Some lucky, some highly skilled, some experienced.

Ever read (in the old days before pc and when real hunting magazines existed) of far northern Native Indian peoples taking every sort of animal in their remote wilderness vastness with 22's, & etc. How about the Early Jordan buck (Hole in the Horn Buck) taken by the little 25-20. That was a record class whitetail taken by a fellow that could hunt, shoot, track and knew his quarry.
I have a friend who routinely executes trapped wild hogs in the drop door cage from 10 feet away with 22 short headshots. What if you could duplicate most of that except the cage and firearm, while insuring your safety?

BvT

Hickory
02-20-2013, 01:00 PM
So long as you don't value your hide, no problem, they will eventually die when shot enough times (or one time in exactly the right place). If'n you're good enough to hit that 'exactly right place' on a hog on the run or one intent on immediately doing you personal harm, have at it!

(I would recommend you buy a suture kit or medical staple gun if you are hunting any distance from a hospital)

Sounds exciting.
Would be nice to see a video of that.

EMC45
02-20-2013, 01:17 PM
I know folks who hunt them and kill them with a .22 Mag. Actually just got invited to go hunting hogs and it is knife only. No gun. Using dogs to "ground" them and then you stab them. Shot placement is key.

9.3X62AL
02-20-2013, 02:15 PM
I think a warmly-loaded 357 Magnum revolver is about as light as I would go for game of this size and attitude. I'm quite fond of the 32 Magnum, but good-sized coyotes seem like its reasonable upper limit in terms of game size. JMHO, though.

Larry Gibson
02-20-2013, 03:35 PM
If I was safely in a stand and could really pick and choose the shot and had a pack of good tracking dogs handy I might try it. However, I think my 313631 105 gr SWC at 1300 fps or the 311316 FP 118 gr bullet at 1200 fps out of my 6 1/2" Ruger SS (original run) might be a little light. Even out of my 10" Contender I'd consider them a bit light for stand in the open and shoot a pig at handgun range..........the minimum I prefer for that is the 358156 at 1450 fps from my Ruger Security Six with 6" barrel. Truth be known I'll have either my Ruger Bisley 7 1/2" barreled 41 Magnum or either my Colt 4" Anaconda or Ruger 6 1/2" BHFT 44 Magnum............will have my runnin' boots on too...........

Larry Gibson

popper
02-20-2013, 03:52 PM
suture kit or medical staple gun Just use super glue.

Olevern
02-20-2013, 04:18 PM
Just use super glue.

super glue won't work on a series of evenly spaced, deep, bleeding gashes.
If the hospital is far a person could bleed out before getting to help.
Much of the range of feral swine (in Tx, especially) can be many miles from the nearest medical facility.

Getting down on the ground and hunting the hog, especially w/o dogs, who often unselfishly take the slash for their masters, is a serious enough enterprise to at least start out with adequate caliber.

Those who would persist in taking obviously underpowered centerfire or rimfire calibers, in my experience, will not be dissuaded.

Ergo my recommendation not to do it, but, if you are bent on being on the receiving end of a world of hurt, have at it.

Fishman
02-20-2013, 05:04 PM
Can it be loaded up enough to cleanly take medium sized hogs? Lets say up to 150 lbs at handgun ranges. Has anyone done it?

As I recall, Ranchdog took a nice 70 ish lb piggy with his boolit designed for the .380 out of a Ruger LCP I believe. I think the info is on his website.

For that size pig (<150 lbs) , I don't think I would feel undergunned with a Ruger single six and warm loaded .32 mag. In fact, my son has carried it as a backup when pig hunting and he is eleven. I bowhunted them a lot on public land with only a knife as a backup.

A lot also depends on the situation. If you are going to be in a treestand or a boxblind, and your shots are going to be 30 yards, why not?

Of course, we are talking about your hide here and not mine :)

Olevern
02-20-2013, 05:24 PM
Unfortunately, when you set out on a ranch on foot to chase hogs, you don't get to put in an order beforehand ie: "I'll take a half dozen 150 lbs or less pigs, please and thank you".

Them pigs you are wanting to take often travel with other pigs which might not fit your order (unless involved in a "pen" hunt, where they can, indeed, drive into the pen just what you want to kill; however, that is not hunting so we will dispense with that possibility for the purpose of the present discussion)

When you're down on the ground and you bust your 150 lb. pig and all hades breaks loose with pigs running in every direction, (some possibly directly at you) I think I would want something more than a .32 in my hand. (but, that's just me)

Freightman
02-20-2013, 07:28 PM
Bring enough "GUN" your choice!

MDC
02-20-2013, 08:00 PM
I shoot A LOT of 32H&R. Olevern has made very valid points. Pigs can be dam tough.
I hit one in the neck just behind the ear this year. He locked up as if he was struck by lightning then fell over like a plank, kicked a few times then lay still. I racked another round into the chamber and looked up just in time to see him make it back into the brush and down the draw. Oh, I should mention this was a 230gr solid Mihec 41mag over a full dose of H110 from a Marlin lever action at 56yds. He was hit so hard, there were specks of mud sprayed all over the ground and trees just behind where he was standing.
If all I had was a 32H&R, preferrably it would be one of the Marlins also, I'd be trying hard as I could to hit the earhole. If it were a single six, I'd probably climb a tree before pulling the trigger.

Wolfer
02-20-2013, 09:52 PM
One of my sows bit me on the butt cheek once. I had 2 punctures just below my belt and 2 more at the bottom of the cheek. The pressure is unreal!!! While I'm sure I could brain one out to 30 yds with a good standing shot with my 32 mag my personal minimum is the biggest gun I own.

geargnasher
02-20-2013, 10:00 PM
It's better than a small rock, but not much better than a brick.

Gear

DIRT Farmer
02-21-2013, 12:46 AM
Bad medical advice there. Pack the wound with pressure dressing and get to a facility to have the work done professinaly. One of the local farmers dressed a gash from one of his hogs and almost lost his hand. The wound had to be surgicaly reopened and cleaned then left open with wound gauze packed in it for several weeks. Hog teeth and tusks get in some nasty places.

Wal'
02-21-2013, 04:11 AM
Old story, but one forever engrained in my memory, hunting far Nth Queensland Australia many years back when a feral pig came up out of a dry river bed with me as his target..........backpeddling at a decent rate I got off a shot, Lee Enfield .303 looking straight over the sights at him.

After picking myself up from the ground & running to the river banks edge I put another into it as it dissapeared into the dried up riverbed reeds & foliage.

Talking with the locals after, was told many stories of pigs taking down a stock horse with rider aboard as they charged through the horses leg's.

So no, would not recommend a 32 H&R Mag for pigging, not down here anyway.

A photo stolen from our websites of our pigs up North.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/giant-pig-shot-for-eating-cow-at-pilbara-cattle-station/story-e6freuy9-1225719292110

btroj
02-21-2013, 08:33 AM
Could it work? Yea.
Would I use it? Never
I want enough gun to be certain of a quick, clean kill. A 32 mag doesn't meet those standards for me in a hog gun. For a little hog maybe, get a 250 lbr and what do you have? A pissed off hog and pants full of stink.

I prefer a 44 special as a minimum. I don't like being under gunned when the target may bite back.

EMC45
02-21-2013, 09:43 AM
I don't adovcate the knife and .22 Mag thing, just relaying what I have seen. I have kiled hogs. 30-30 factory Jacketed 170gr. and 300 Win Mag 180gr. reloads. They are tough! I know if you do make a clean shot they will quickly comply with death and give up. I have seen them break loose every which way like Olevern said, once they hear a sound like gunfire.

RoyEllis
02-21-2013, 11:24 AM
JMHO, but you'd be just as well served bringing a toothpick & wet-nap....the hog will appreciate you providing him with after dinner clean up supplies. Or ya could take up grizzly hunting with a fly swatter, it's pretty sporty for a couple minutes.:bigsmyl2:

MUSTANG
02-21-2013, 11:39 AM
Any one ever read "Old Yeller"?

Up close, Wild Hogs are BAD A**. Been so far longer than posters on this or any other site have lived. Think of the pucker factor of taking Feral Hogs with a single shot black powder rifle while busting through brush, particularly if you run into a pack of Feral Hogs.

Caliber? Go big or risk: "Don't go home".

Mustang

PS as a youngster we raised some pretty big Hogs, I learned never to be complacent around porkers.

Redd508
02-21-2013, 03:04 PM
All valid points. I did specify "at handgun ranges". What about dispatching pork in traps? You pick the shot at close range. Is penetration adequate. We dont chase pigs much in the marshes of south Louisiana. Trapping is more effective. I'm a firm believer in use enough gun. Im just trying to find out what are the upper limits of the 32 mag drawing from those that have been there/done that. What can i realistically hunt with it? 22 covers rabbits and tree rats. 44 & 45 for deer. As much as i enjoy shooting paper I like to have a utilitarian use for my toys.

Wolfer
02-21-2013, 04:04 PM
Redd
I agree with that. Back when Ruger was making the 32 I wanted one but couldn't figure out what I'd use it for. When they stopped making it of course I had to have one then. My favorite load is the Lyman 31108 at 115 gr going 750 fps. I wouldn't hesitate to put one of these in a hogs ear.
Yes I know I can load a heavier load but I can shoot this without earplugs and it's extremely accurate.
Seems my game choices in MO are squirrel or rabbit, then it's coyotes or deer. My 22 is fine on the small stuff and I like a 44 or 45 for the bigger stuff.
I did shoot a grouse in CO this year with the 32. Worked fine but most of my grouse are shot with my 45 because that's usually what I have on me.
I feel pretty confident in my loads penetration ability and it's placement ability under ideal conditions.
When hunting I never seem to get ideal conditions.

Redd508
02-21-2013, 05:27 PM
Thanks Wolfer
How much heavier can the 32 mag be pushed? Most of the data I've found is +/- 100 grain bullets. Thats about where i wanna be. I hav big magnums if that what i wanna shoot. Does this cartridge have a sweet spot or is it dependent upon the delivery system?

Wolfer
02-21-2013, 05:39 PM
I don't really know. I'm shooting unique, I think 3.5 gr. not home right now so can't look it up. This was where I started and as I went up in velocity accuracy went down slightly. It also got pretty noisy. This is a fixed sight gun and the first load shot right to the sights. I usually build the sights to the load I want to shoot. I consider this a small game gun so power wasn't as important as accuracy

Redd508
02-21-2013, 05:54 PM
It may just be relegated to general woods gun and critters of opportunity. I'm ok with that I guess. The main thing will be to find an agreeable load and my max effective range with it.

x101airborne
02-21-2013, 07:07 PM
Heck, real close or in a trap? Oh yeah, no problem. Target of opportunity? Yep. If that is what I have and I see one, I will do my best to make it humane, but I wont miss an opportunity to kill one. But you are also talking to the guy that drowned one because I ran out of ammo that day. The cartrige is not aneimic, my aim is. And that is what I need to compensate for. Get you a good knife for a backup and go have fun. That is what it is all about. Enjoy!

9.3X62AL
02-21-2013, 07:44 PM
Overall, I've had better accuracy from my 32 Mag (S&W Model 16-4 x 6") with 95-105 grain boolits than with 115-120 grain boolits, but the heavier castings still shoot acceptably well. The RCBS 98 SWC has become its go-to boolit for most uses, and is VERY accurate from 700-1200 FPS. Once past 900 FPS, all loads get LOUD AS H--L, even in the longer 6" barrel.

I also use the gas-checked SWC from Lyman, #313631. Its accuracy at 900-950 FPS was disappointing, but prompt it past 1100 FPS and it starts to act correctly. I have run this boolit to 1400 FPS with fuels like WC-820, 2400, and WW-296. Brass extracts easily (both Federal and Starline), and primer pockets remain snug after 5-6 such loadings. I would not try such loads in NEF/H&R revolvers, but the K-frame S&W handles them well--I suspect the Rugers would as well.

Redd508
02-21-2013, 09:08 PM
All thing being equal i would assume that the swc would be a more effective critter gitter than a round nose at the same velocity. That gives me some direction. Now to find the right mold.

williamwaco
02-21-2013, 09:19 PM
I might use it-

from a tree stand,

but NOT standing on the ground!

longhorn
02-21-2013, 11:58 PM
I'm a great fan of my own .32 mag loads, but I wouldn't intentionally go after hogs with 'em. Rapidity of incapacitation can certainly turn into an issue! No "charging hog" stories, but the blasted things don't always drop or run away as you might expect. Maybe we need a thread on whether the .32 is an adequate whitetail gun.........

MDC
02-22-2013, 12:20 AM
Redd, I load the Sierra 90 HP half jacket with Lil'Gun. I can't remember the charge right off, but it is above published data. I loaded until they got sticky then backed them off 3/10 grain. These are HOT and I would have no reserves about putting one in the ear of a trapped pig or one inside of about 30yds only If I were off the ground. These are fired from 2 Super Single Sixes and a 4" SP101. I would not try these from the little H&R pistol.

GabbyM
02-22-2013, 12:39 AM
Way back when I loaded for my now ex wifes 32 mag. I loaded it with AA#9 under a 96gr cast boolit.
It ran around 1,325 fps. Gun was a Ruger SP101. Bullets cast from what would be a non expanding 2:6 alloy BHN #15.
That load will put a hole through a hog every time. My loads would of been hard on one of the old H&R revolvers.
Only shot that revolver one time without ear protection. Big no no. That's the down side and why I'll stick with my 38 Specials even though they have less power.

Catsmith
02-22-2013, 01:08 AM
Being a north louisiana boy, hog in a trap......22&up is good to go. Hog with GOOD dogs........long knife, duct tape or centerfire something. Hog under treestand.......whatever i happen to have on me. Hog on the ground........at least 38 158 swc. Spent a large chunk of time in the woods trapping etc with nothing but a 22 short in a revolver. No problems except loosing some critters to hogs appetite.

leftiye
02-22-2013, 05:29 AM
Much of the range of feral swine (in Tx, especially) can be many miles from the nearest medical facility.

Getting down on the ground and hunting the hog, especially w/o dogs, who often unselfishly take the slash for their masters, is a serious enough enterprise to at least start out with adequate caliber.

Those who would persist in taking obviously underpowered centerfire or rimfire calibers, in my experience, will not be dissuaded.

Ergo my recommendation not to do it, but, if you are bent on being on the receiving end of a world of hurt, have at it.

Ah jus' luvs folks who don't mince werds. Amen and plus 1. I've seem 'em killed with air rifles (not big pigs though), Ah don't plan on tryin' that neither.

9.3X62AL
02-22-2013, 05:35 AM
Overall, I've had better accuracy from my 32 Mag (S&W Model 16-4 x 6") with 95-105 grain boolits than with 115-120 grain boolits, but the heavier castings still shoot acceptably well. The RCBS 98 SWC has become its go-to boolit for most uses, and is VERY accurate from 700-1200 FPS. Once past 900 FPS, all loads get LOUD AS H--L, even in the longer 6" barrel.

I also use the gas-checked SWC from Lyman, #313631. Its accuracy at 900-950 FPS was disappointing, but prompt it past 1100 FPS and it starts to act correctly. I have run this boolit to 1400 FPS with fuels like WC-820, 2400, and WW-296. Brass extracts easily (both Federal and Starline), and primer pockets remain snug after 5-6 such loadings. I would not try such loads in NEF/H&R revolvers, but the K-frame S&W handles them well--I suspect the Rugers would as well.

NONE of this was meant to express or imply my approval of use of these loads on pigs or other game of that size & attitude. I DON'T. After seeing some of these critters locally over the years (effin' BIG), I like a rifle for such ventures a whole lot more than a handgun as primary armament. A Win 94 or Marlin 336 in 30/30 WCF more than suggests itself as a baseline.

leftiye
02-22-2013, 05:48 AM
327 mag hot loaded can push .357 energy levels. I've seen guys here state their loads with 120 grain boolits up into the 1500 fps range. Even with that load to kick **** with, I'd go at least for a .357. The hole is everything, bigger, deeper holes kill betterer. So, I wouldn't mess around, I'd have a .44 or .45.

Digital Dan
02-22-2013, 07:40 PM
Dunno why a .32 wouldn't work, but there would be a high standard for accuracy at play. It might over penetrate.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/muddler/pig%20pen/DSCN2956.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/muddler/pig%20pen/DSCN3596.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/muddler/pig%20pen/DSCN2968-1.jpg

Olevern
02-23-2013, 09:39 AM
Dunno why a .32 wouldn't work, but there would be a high standard for accuracy at play. It might over penetrate.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/muddler/pig%20pen/DSCN2956.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/muddler/pig%20pen/DSCN3596.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/muddler/pig%20pen/DSCN2968-1.jpg

Like I said before....

BTW; nice contender rig; kin I hav it when them piggies get ya? :-)

Digital Dan
02-23-2013, 03:37 PM
Probably not. I think you're missing the point. The original post inquired as to whether or not the .32 was adequate for killing hogs. There is little question that it is. The question I raise is whether or not the shooter is capable of doing so with that cartridge and firearm. It's not my job to judge his capability.

The T/C has dusted over 80 hogs in the last 5 years, and is chambered for shorts only. It is thus unlikely to ever be of much value or merit in the hunting fields, so you probably wouldn't want it anyway.

dougader
02-23-2013, 05:23 PM
I love the little 32 H&R mag. Brian Pearce wrote an article in Handloader mag and gave data for 32HRM and the 327 Federal. I load the Single Six up pretty hot and it handles it easily. Even the max load from BP does great in the little SS: 11.8 grains WW296 with a CCI 550 small pistol mag primer and the 100 grain XTP-hp. I like the 95 - 100 grain rnfp and swc bullets with 3.5 to 4.2 grains of WW231.

I know people take game with low powered rifles (and they are better hunters than I) including the hogs noted above with 22 shorts, and my grandfather's deer rifle in 25-20.

But for me, at my skill level, I'd opt for a stout 44 Special minimum (a 250 grain Keith swc at ~1150 - 1200 fps from my Ruger Bisley NM flat top), and I'd feel even better with the double action revolver, a Ruger SRH loaded with a nice 300 grain WFN at 1200 in 45 Colt brass.

Being on the ground with hogs can get hairy really quick. Same for black bears running from dogs, and I'd rather have something stout enough to knock those porkers down quick to cover my skin and the $$$$ expensive hunting dogs.

Olevern
02-23-2013, 06:48 PM
Sum video of hog excitement fur ur perusal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WwK_1SFE_8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8hYL9b-DcQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEyOA6GLNUA&feature=endscreen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt2zx1LDaHQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnehv9_asCk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W8DQKahPqs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmQ0hJLTY9o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ_P52VI0v4

Ya'all stay safe out there, Ya hear?

9.3X62AL
02-23-2013, 07:30 PM
There are some elements of light tackle sportfishing that just don't translate well to some hunting venues. That is all.

Catsmith
02-23-2013, 10:29 PM
Out of couriousity, howmany documented cases of wild hogs rushing a human and killing or maiming are there? Documented? Yes they deserve respect but we are not talking about a 150 puond badger with armor plate. They can be made unlive.

williamwaco
02-23-2013, 10:49 PM
327 mag hot loaded can push .357 energy levels. I've seen guys here state their loads with 120 grain boolits up into the 1500 fps range. Even with that load to kick **** with, I'd go at least for a .357. The hole is everything, bigger, deeper holes kill betterer. So, I wouldn't mess around, I'd have a .44 or .45.

Naaah!

The best you can do with the .327 is around 500 ft-lbs

158 grain .357 loads will be around 750 ft-lbs.

(Note I am talking about real .357 magnum loads. NOT the .38 special loads most manufacturers are selling in .357 cases nowadays.)

TXGunNut
02-23-2013, 11:38 PM
I don't load or shoot the .327 but I have it on good authority this is a round that penetrates quite well, may even rival the .357. For a 70-80 lb calm hog I'd be OK with this cartridge from a stand. I can wait for an ear shot. Only problem with hogs is that they never quit growing and you have no idea how big a hog will show up under your stand or in your trap, that's why a RBH 45 Colt rides my hip (backing up a good rifle) when hogs are likely to be encountered. Even a hog in a trap may refuse to offer an ear shot. Sometimes even the 45 Colt isn't enough but I like my chances.
And yes, deep wounds need to be thoroughly irrigated before suturing or stapling. Some dogs don't require anaesthetics before suturing and dressing but as a rule I do, a peaty single malt is best but a couple of shots of tequila will generally suffice. Don't forget the antibiotics, I know where them tusks have been!

leftiye
02-24-2013, 10:16 AM
Quote Originally Posted by leftiye
327 mag hot loaded can push .357 energy levels. I've seen guys here state their loads with 120 grain boolits up into the 1500 fps range. Even with that load to kick **** with, I'd go at least for a .357. The hole is everything, bigger, deeper holes kill betterer. So, I wouldn't mess around, I'd have a .44 or .45"

Naaah! The best you can do with the .327 is around 500 ft-lbs
158 grain .357 loads will be around 750 ft-lbs. (Note I am talking about real .357 magnum loads. NOT the .38 special loads most manufacturers are selling in .357 cases nowadays.).

I'm not sure why you posted. Was I wrong? Did you say anything different than I did? My example of a 1500 fps 120 grain load is in excess of 660 ft/lbs. A110 grain bullet at 1500 fps is in excess of 600 ft/lbs for that matter (Hornady). .357 energy levels have always been quoted at about 600 ft/lbs. Granted, my data for the 327 is lunatic fringe, but it can be done and it does push .357 energy levels, even your 750 ft/lbs data. For that matter, your data for the .357 is on the fringe too, and not representative. I know that people load them even hotter than that, but so what? I guess I stand corrected.

9.3X62AL
02-24-2013, 04:03 PM
Leftiye, "lunatic fringe" is such harsh nomenclature. I think of your load-ratings as "full potential". :)

leftiye
02-25-2013, 05:33 AM
Oh yeah! Actually, they weren't my loads LOL. But they were actual loads that had got my attention. Thanks for the affirmation. I do load my 327 to its potential, why have it otherwise.

9.3X62AL
02-25-2013, 04:41 PM
To paraphrase something I just posted in another thread......isn't this why we buy Rugers? :)

Many of us that infest this site have a wide enough array of handgun calibers on deck that there is no need to use marginal or borderline loadings in a given game venue. I suppose that is my core belief as far as this thread subject goes.

Silvercreek Farmer
02-25-2013, 05:35 PM
Never kilt a wild pig, but pick out a 40-50 lb bbq pig and hit him behind the ear with your well stoked 32 mag and I'm sure you'll be eating well.

williamwaco
02-25-2013, 08:34 PM
Quote Originally Posted by leftiye
327 mag hot loaded can push .357 energy levels. I've seen guys here state their loads with 120 grain boolits up into the 1500 fps range. Even with that load to kick **** with, I'd go at least for a .357. The hole is everything, bigger, deeper holes kill betterer. So, I wouldn't mess around, I'd have a .44 or .45"

I'm not sure why you posted. Was I wrong? Did you say anything different than I did? My example of a 1500 fps 120 grain load is in excess of 660 ft/lbs. A110 grain bullet at 1500 fps is in excess of 600 ft/lbs for that matter (Hornady). .357 energy levels have always been quoted at about 600 ft/lbs. Granted, my data for the 327 is lunatic fringe, but it can be done and it does push .357 energy levels, even your 750 ft/lbs data. For that matter, your data for the .357 is on the fringe too, and not representative. I know that people load them even hotter than that, but so what? I guess I stand corrected.

Leftiye,

I stand by my exact statement.
Summarized that would be:

"The .327 Federal Magnum does not and cannot approach the .357 Magnum in power."

A 158 grain bullet at 1450 fps is a normal hot (not "fringe") load for the .357 Mag I calculate that at 737 ft-lbs.
A quick check of my manuals found 14 loads that exceed 1400 fps with the 158 grain bullet. Most of those loads are around 38,000 PSI. Only one exceeded 40,000.
Fringe loads can reach 1600 fps. 895 ft-lbs.

Monarch produces a factory loaded .357 at that 1600 fps level. I have shot around 200 rounds of them and chronographed them.
They actually do exceed 1600 fps. from a 10" Thompson contender. That is 898 ft-lbs. They exceed 1500 fps in a 6" Smith. ( I have never seen a hand load that can match that velocity. )
They shoot less than 1" at 50 yards and if I were going hog hunting with a pea shooter, that is the load I would use.
Left to my real choice, I would not go after a hog with anything less than a 240 grain .44 Magnum.

I calculate a 120 grain bullet at 1500 fps to deliver 599 ft-lbs.
That said, I can find no load in any of my manuals that can reach 1500 fps with any bullet heavier than 100 grains in the .327 Federal Magnum.
The only loads that reach 1500 fps are with 100 grain bullets at pressures in the range of 42,000 PSI.
The 100 grain bullet at 1500 fps delivers a respectable 500 ft-lbs. Around 68% of the 158 grain .357.
I am not saying you can't do 1500 fps with a 120 grain bullet. ( I concede that you can. Please don't post that load. )
That gets you to 600 ft-lbs. or 82% of a relatively normal .357 load and 66% of a hell-bent-for leather- fringe .357 load.

I agree completely with your statement:

I'd go at least for a .357. The hole is everything, bigger, deeper holes kill betterer. So, I wouldn't mess around, I'd have a .44 or .45"

Hornady Ammo:

Midway USA lists four Hornady .357 loads, they produce 664, 624, 548, and 624 ft-lbs.
If this is all you have to work with, the .327 might approach the .357 in power.

Here is the RUB. Hornady and nearly all other major manufacturers are no longer loading "real" .357 magnum loads.
Their 158 grain loads average 1250 fps. ( 548 ft-lbs )
My contention is that that is not a "real" .357 Magnum load.
The original .357 magnum in 1934 launched the 158 grain bullet at 1500 fps ( from an 8.375" barrel.)
Several other makers are producing real .357 Magnum loads at the 1400 fps level.

I don't know why the major manufacturers have neutered the .357 - but they have.

PS:

I am not disparaging the .327 Federal Magnum. I own a .327 Federal Magnum. It is a Ruger SP-100.

I LOVE this gun.

If I could own only two handguns, this would be number 2.

See my thoughts here:
http://www.reloadingtips.com/reviews/ruger-sp100-327mag.htm

leftiye
02-26-2013, 06:27 AM
I stand by my exact statement. Wm Waco

I could have guessed. So do I. Thanks so much. Ted

Newtire
01-26-2017, 10:03 AM
I have seen them standing when shot from one end thru and out the other end (lengthwise) with .444, another side to side lung shot and take a .30-06 to turn the head into a cutaway to bring it down. Others then obey the gun writer's stories. It all depends on the individual pig's tenacity. One guy takes em out on Youtube with a .22 l.r. A .32 mag. would probably be a great cow-dropper in a home butchering business environment but not the best choice for hunting pigs in the wild for sure!

shdwlkr
01-26-2017, 11:28 AM
As I read through all the posts I can see where any firearm is capable of killing a pig, the real question is do you want to bet your life on a marginal caliber or take enough fire power to drop what might be the animal you have to deal with?

Me if I were to hunt pigs I want a rifle in .375 winchester loaded with 300 grains of lead or a 45-70 loaded with 350 grains of lead. I have been on a hog farm and let me tell you some of those little guys have some real big moms that are not afraid of humans.

jaysouth
01-26-2017, 12:42 PM
Here is a pig weighing 506 lbs. that I killed day before yesterday. My 308 pump was loaded with 30-30 level cast loads. My first shot would have killed the hog, were I in a stand, I would have let the pig take 10 minutes to die. However I was on the ground and shot it 3 more time before it rolled down a hill and died.

If you are in a stand, and can get a good shot on a feeding hog, a 22. rf will do the job. Pigs are easy to kill but hard to die.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l222/jwsoutherland/Pig%20Hunting/2017-01-24%2011.04.36_zpsxqhotdji.jpg (http://s97.photobucket.com/user/jwsoutherland/media/Pig%20Hunting/2017-01-24%2011.04.36_zpsxqhotdji.jpg.html)

Lonegun1894
01-28-2017, 10:18 PM
I have taken plenty of hogs with a .22LR pistol, and haven't had a problem yet. I hunt from the ground, and either sneak up on them or sit quietly and hope they come to me if I see/hear them coming in time. This is done using either a 5.5" Ruger Single Six or a 4.5" Ruger 22/45. Shots are up close and personal, and my preferred shot is to the forehead as they're facing me. I have also taken a few with broadside shots that took out both the heart and lungs, but much prefer the head shot. I do this the same way as I bow hunt them, with all shots with the .22 being from a maximum of 25 yards, but usually inside of 10 yards. Anytime I don't get close enough, or the pig doesn't present the perfect shot, I pass on it and find another one, which is a big part of why I only bring a pig home on one out of every 5-6 hunts. I don't see a pig every time, and even when I do, I pass up a lot more shots than I take. So yes, the .32, or anything else for that matter, will work, it's just a matter of how it's used and the skill and self-discipline of the hunter.

Having said the above, I have also taken plenty of them with bow, .357 Mag, .40 S&W, .44 Mag, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .223, .30-30, .308, .30-06, .45-70, and various muzzleloaders from .50-.69", but want to go take one with my .32 flintlock this year. Yes, the bigger calibers allow you to reach out further, or take them from more angles, but the hogs I have taken, it really didn't matter what weapon was used, because I "bow hunt" regardless of what weapon I am using, and find it much more of a challenge to get up close than to take long range shots. I could take a lot more if I was using a bigger caliber or a longer range rifle, but that would take some of the challenge out of it. My smallest hog so far has been 75 lbs, and was taken with a .30-30 at 75 yards when I first started hunting hogs, and my biggest was 350 lbs, taken with a shot to the forehead with a .22LR pistol at 8-10 feet. Both died equally quickly and both tasted equally great. Choose whatever (legal) method/caliber you want, be honest with yourself as to what your limitations are, and have the self-discipline to hunt within those limitations, and you will make meat. Stay safe out there.

bearcove
01-28-2017, 11:04 PM
This rings a bell. I was in Tyler Tx. visiting inlaws, went to a gun shop picked up the regs to see if I could hunt. Yep BIG stretch of river bottom open to hunt hogs, .22LR only. I asked the guy at counter and he said yeah there were hogs there, I just laughed and went back to the in-laws.

Lonegun1894
01-28-2017, 11:20 PM
It works and works well, but you have to be able to hit a small target (brain) and be able to restrain yourself from shooting til you have the perfect shot. Basically, expect to take your .22LR for a walk and if you happen to get lucky and get the perfect opportunity, it is just a bonus. But it takes patience and discipline, and a lot of people don't have either.

bearcove
01-29-2017, 12:09 AM
I head shot a whole mess of squirrels and rabbits with a 22. Your perfect shot in the woods doesn't always happen in my woods.

Lonegun1894
01-29-2017, 12:31 AM
You're absolutely right, Bearcove. I did however say that I see a lot more than I get to shoot, which is where the perfect shot comes in. If I get that opportunity, I take it, but most times, is is just taking my .22 for a walk, as I also said.

IF you're willing to pass up a lot of hogs that you KNOW you could have taken with a bigger gun, the .22LR is just fine, but if you're not willing to NOT shoot when an imperfect opportunity comes along, then the .22 is a horrible choice. As I said earlier, I take a hog on one out of every 5-6 hunts with the .22LR. When carrying my .357 Mag or bigger in a handgun or a .30-30 or bigger in a rifle, my ratio is once out of every 2-3 hunts. That tells you how much I have to limit myself when using a small gun, and this is exactly where the self-discipline to NOT shoot comes in. If you're going to kick yourself for not being able to take a hog the first time you see one, or every time you see one, or have to travel any distance ($$$) to hunt them, then the .22 is a horrible idea. In my case, I have 5-6 properties I have hunting access to within half an hour of my house, so it is easy to sneak away for a few hours once or twice a week, and if I don't get one, then there is always the next weeks hunt.

This was from a hunt a friend and I went on a couple weeks ago, with .22LR revolvers...

Texas by God
01-29-2017, 06:02 PM
Do not pick & choose shots on pigs. Put a bullet in every one you can. If they die on the spot - great. If they die somewhere else-great. Passing up any shot on a pig in my country is verboten. Use your .32 with hard cast bullets and have at it. One shot and they scramble anyway. Best,Thomas.

Lonegun1894
01-29-2017, 06:16 PM
I understand the sentiment and the reasons for it, but I think we owe anything we shoot a quick death that is as painless as possible. And I personally don't care if that is a pig, a rat, a deer, or an intruder in our homes.

Walkingwolf
01-29-2017, 06:30 PM
For small piggies I see no problem, remember the OP is not asking about going against 600 pound hogs.

Texas by God
01-29-2017, 06:37 PM
Pigs are the only animal I feel that way towards Lone Gun. They destroy so much other wildlife and crops. The more pigs you have, the less deer,birds,snakes and small game you will have. Sad but true. Ten years ago I had no use for AR15s- but now I do because I'm at war with invaders that are destroying the natural order. Think of me as you wish. Best, Thomas.

Lonegun1894
01-29-2017, 06:45 PM
I don't think any less of you, so please don't worry about that. I just disagree. If anything, I would love to help you, but you'd get frustrated with me picking my shots and not shooting more than I can eat. :)

Texas by God
01-29-2017, 06:50 PM
We're good my friend. Best, Thomas.

Texas by God
01-29-2017, 06:57 PM
Looking at my game cam this morning- last night around 2am I could have used a belt fed 12 ga machine gun loaded with 00buck on a tripod with night vision and a grenade launcher and an air strike......

Lonegun1894
01-29-2017, 06:59 PM
You must have a lot more of them that we do. We have enough for them to be a problem, but they're not a plague, yet.

Eddie Southgate
01-29-2017, 07:15 PM
Maybe Guinea Pigs .;-)

Eddie

Texas by God
01-29-2017, 07:22 PM
Our lease in Commanche county is worse than our farm in Wise county but it's bad enough. Where are you?

Lonegun1894
01-29-2017, 07:32 PM
I live in McLennan County but work in Limestone County. Seems the numbers are definitely increasing in both, but Limestone seems to have more of them than McLennan does.

Milsurp Junkie
01-29-2017, 08:34 PM
Hey, I just got done hiking with my kiddos in a park inside Austin City Limits. Yep, a lot of pig sign rooting under the oak trees for acorns.

Lonegun1894
01-29-2017, 09:23 PM
I expect we will be over run by them eventually. Just a matter of time. I'm doing my part to delay it by eating all I can.

TXGunNut
01-29-2017, 10:14 PM
Do not pick & choose shots on pigs. Put a bullet in every one you can. If they die on the spot - great. If they die somewhere else-great. Passing up any shot on a pig in my country is verboten. Use your .32 with hard cast bullets and have at it. One shot and they scramble anyway. Best,Thomas.

That's actually a good plan and the rule on many Texas deer leases and other properties. I've fed a few stinky ones to the coyotes but I generally only shoot one if I plan to eat it. I like smacking a hog as hard as I can so a 32 H&R would not be my choice for a hog. I figure the hunt where I'm lightly armed would be the one where a huge boar shows up and I'd have to chose between passing up the shot or having to chase it (or it me!).

Texas by God
01-29-2017, 10:27 PM
Never tell a landowner you watched some pigs. Tell him you couldn't get a shot. That way you get invited back. Same rule for coyotes in South Texas sheep/goat country.
Best, Thomas.

Lonegun1894
01-29-2017, 10:39 PM
I figure the landowner makes the rules, and I always ask them what their rules are if I get an offer of a place to hunt, and I will follow whatever they say as long as it doesn't violate the law. The ones I deal with around here let me hunt my way, with their main rule being not to injure their livestock, and they appreciate the way I hunt because they hunt the hogs on their land too. A couple give me the run of the place but ask me not to shoot any deer or anything else except coyote and hogs, others limit me to what weapons and calibers I can use, etc. For example one says rimfire only cause he says the centerfires scare his cattle. Another says nothing but a .223 because he's worried about over penetration with bigger calibers. I even have one that says suppressed weapons or archery only because his wife thinks "the piggies are cute" and doesn't want them hunted, so this is his way of being able to tell her HE hasn't killed any and trying to keep her in the dark while protecting their property. That one even calls me and tells me when his wife will be out of town due to work so I can use whatever I want when she is gone. So it really varies, but their land, their rules. I respect their wishes. Now most say to shoot every coyote I can get a shot at, and I do, but they see coyote as varmints and hogs as edible varmints. That makes it easy to play by their rules because while we all know hogs cause damage, none of us want to waste the meat by killing more than we can eat. If any of them change their minds and tell me to shoot every hog I see and I expect them to eventually, I will do it, but hope I have a lot of room in the freezer when that day comes, and will be filling friends freezers too.

Milsurp Junkie
01-29-2017, 11:00 PM
Well if any of you all need help taking piggies, let me know. I had a great place but it is now a subdivision. It was great because it was on my way home from work, so I could hunt for a couple of hours after work.

Jared
02-02-2017, 09:38 AM
If I was carrying a .32 magnum that day I would have no problem shooting a 150# hog with it. A 120gr FN at 1200+ will penetrate fairly well. It isn't the idea cartridge for hunting them, but will work if you want to try it.

The way way people talk, you would think hogs are more dangerous than any of the big 5. I have hogs all around my home and killed 15+ in my yard and pasture last year, severally were shot from a door or window of my house. They can be really tough and carry a lot of lead so shot placement is very important. A lot of people try to shoot them behind the shoulder like you would a deer. It works OK if you hit really close to the shoulder, but most of their vital organs are farther forward than a deer. Really the vital area on a hog is from the back edge of the shoulder to the ear. I am not a fan of the neck shot on deer, but it can and does work well on a hog. Especially with a smaller caliber than may not make it through both shoulders.

shdwlkr
02-02-2017, 11:46 AM
Jared
I think what most are saying is that a poorly placed shot on a pig is not a good idea. I have never seen small pigs running with no large hog around again not a good thing to come up on if you don't have enough gun. Me I would use a larger caliber than the one being discussed here, why because I like to anchor what I am shooting and sometimes things just don't go as well as you thought they would. Does that mean that I wouldn't try shooting pigs with a smaller caliber nope just that I would have a backup rifle with enough knock down power to make sure they stayed down.

I have been charged by a buck when hunting them and don't let anyone tell you they die easily all the time, everything we can hunt can turn the tables on us at anytime it is just how life works.

You guys have fun with your pigs and get rid of all of them you can. I have been on a pig farm when the sows have little ones and I can tell you this they are not in a friendly mood and if you pick up one of the little ones more than one sow will be there right quick to see what is going on and if they need to get rid of the nuance.

Have fun, but at all times be safe

Jared
02-02-2017, 04:49 PM
I have seen hogs take an amazing amount of punishment and still be on their feet. A bad shot with any caliber won't do much good. My favorite hog gun is a 45-70 with 405s at 1800-2000 FPS. I have killed them with a bunch of calibers from .22 LR to .500 Linebaugh.

A .32 magnum isn't hog gun but will kill them with a good shot. I am sure I will kill one with a .32 at some point because it is one of my favorite calibers and one is usually around.

Hogs like most wild animals can be dangerous, but I always have to laugh a little with some of the stories. If they were half as bad as I hear, my sons would never be allowed to leave the house.

castalott
02-02-2017, 05:44 PM
Dad killed many years ago at butcher time with a 22 short. Hunting a moving animal is a whole 'nuther thing....

Hogs aren't stupid. Now whether they are courageous or.... scared and running away in your direction I don't know.... But if a big one gets you on the ground and has time......well...it won't be good...

A friend was hunting down south with a model 29. A big hog ran at him on the trail they both were using. When the hog finally laid down, Jerry could touch it's nose with his boot...standing there shaking with an empty gun...

birddog
03-05-2017, 09:40 PM
If I owned a 32 Mag I would certainly use it, shot placement is the key to anchoring any critter hell bent on taste testing you. I would be forced to use my 41 Mag as that is what I have, along with the 22LR. All we use to slaughter the baconators here in Iowa.
Charlie:p

sixshot
03-06-2017, 10:19 PM
We all know that Eskimos's use to think the 22 Hornet was ideal for hunting Polar Bear, we also know that some of those Eskimos's didn't come home. We all know of a guide in Alaska that recently killed a large Brown Bear with a 9mm to keep it from eating his 2 clients. So it's obvious that the 32 Magnum will kill a 150 lb. feral hog. If that's what you choose to hunt with, use it, most will choose to use something a little more in line with the animal they are hunting but there's always some one who chooses to play by different rules just to say it can be done. I watched one of these posts go on for weeks one time & one guy said he knew of Elephants that had been taken with a 22 rim fire........

Dick

54bore
03-07-2017, 10:28 AM
Sure it can be done! But there are definitely better choices! I did part time work slaughtering beef and hogs, all we used was a .22 Magnum, pretty amazing to watch a 1500 pound beef collapse immediately when bumped between the runnin lights with the little .22 Magnum. As far as hog hunting from any distance to speak of i would choose a different weapon

woodbutcher
03-07-2017, 11:13 PM
:D Knew a gentleman years ago that started hunting hogs in Fl back in about 1899/1900 when he was 12 yrs old.After his first encounter with one using a 44-40 he started using his fathers Winchester in 45-70.He said he never regretted the upgrade.With a slight grin he said use anything smaller,and you might just come home in a pine box.This was about 1960.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

DanishM1Garand
03-08-2017, 12:10 AM
I've euthanized hogs with a .22LR.

That said this this was a sick or dying hog that wasn't feral with no fear of man.

Hogs are tough, dang tough, and they will eat you if they don't have any fear of you. I doubt that a feral hog fears a wolf, let alone a hairless ape.

I would use a .32 H&R for putting down hogs in a trap. To kill feral hogs with a chance of them getting to me? Not a chance.

54bore
03-08-2017, 07:03 AM
My Dad butcherd LOTS N LOTS of Hogs, from little to 500+ pounders, no matter the size it only took 1 shot with the little .22 Magnum, The ONLY time i ever heard of my Dad not using the .22 Magnum was on a really LARGE bull Buffalo, this guy was a true TON 2000lb animal, His head was easily the size of the Cab of my Toyota Tacoma! My dad set up on this Bull with him broadside and shot him through the side of the head with his .300 Wn Mag and a 180 Grain Barnes X Bullet, The BIG bull dropped straight to his belly and never even kicked! Had to hook on him and pull him over to his side to work on him. The little .22 Magnum would probably have worked here also, but no reason to chance a possible bad situation.

Again, Your .32 will kill hogs no problem if you hit them perfect everytime. Personally i would use a rifle, a lever .30-30 would make a GREAT little Hog rifle! .223 etc. etc.

Skipper
03-08-2017, 03:47 PM

Sounds like a pretty good way to get your a** handed to you.

54bore
03-08-2017, 06:27 PM
sounds like a pretty good way to get your a** handed to you.

lol! ^^^

Lonegun1894
03-09-2017, 12:28 AM
Sounds like a pretty good way to get your a** handed to you.

If your stalking skills, shooting skills, and self-discipline aren't up to par, the above is absolutely correct. Then again, a bad hit with a .50 BMG is still a bad hit. So caliber is secondary to other aspects of hunting.

54bore
03-09-2017, 02:14 AM
Then again, a bad hit with a .50 BMG is still a bad hit. So caliber is secondary to other aspects of hunting.

Very well said!!