PDA

View Full Version : Making soap

shooter2
02-19-2013, 03:55 PM
A short time ago there was a thread on "double edged shaving" and Ric (Waksupi) talked about making his own shaving soap. That brought back a flood of memories for me from the war years (WWII) and the making of laundry soap.

Mom and all the kin saved the fat from cooking. About a years worth I think. Then on a day when the basement windows could be opened the process would begin. Heat it up on the old cast iron stove, stir with a spoon about the size of a small canoe paddle, strain it, mix in lye and ? And finally pour it into old cake pans to harden.

The bounty was then split. I remember using an dull, old knife to shave the bars so they would dissolve in the wash water.

Now, try explaining this to your grand kids if you can get their attention away from their I-Phones.

casterofboolits
02-19-2013, 04:07 PM
Heck. Try explaing an out house and what the Sears and Montgomery Wards catalogs were used for. Never mind the " Slop bucket".

I shaved a bunch of that lye soap up too.

Maven
02-19-2013, 05:29 PM
There was a soap making lecture/demonstration at Dixon's Muzzloading Fair last July. Unfortunately, I didn't attend it, but the ladies gave me a few samples + instruction sheets. I surmise it was a very popular exhibit.

Mal Paso
02-19-2013, 06:07 PM
Our local handmade soap maker went out of business recently. Seems with all the liquid soaps and body washes no one is buying fine bar soap anymore. :(

stubshaft
02-19-2013, 08:28 PM
There is nothing like lye soap to get you squeaky clean and keep you scentless while hunting.

shooter2
02-19-2013, 08:42 PM
There is nothing like lye soap to get you squeaky clean and keep you scentless while hunting.

Never thought about that. Good tip!

Jailer
02-19-2013, 08:56 PM
Our local handmade soap maker went out of business recently. Seems with all the liquid soaps and body washes no one is buying fine bar soap anymore. :(

They don't know what they are missing. I'll never buy soap again.

My hunting soap is a tallow blend with no colors or scent of any kind added to it. You could easily make laundry soap out of it along with a home made vinegar/baking soda/water final rinse for completely scent free laundering.

cloakndagger
02-19-2013, 09:47 PM
My barber (ahem stylist, as she likes to be called) has always asked for my shampoo brand, and ive always told her that its a family secret.. finaly told her, homemade castile soap with a generous helping of peppermint oil. She still doesnt believe me. +1 for unscented hunting soap, dad uses it all the time. Why bother with four different bottles that are all soap? One bar gets it for me......except making it, thats a pain...

Jailer
02-19-2013, 10:23 PM
Why bother with four different bottles that are all soap? One bar gets it for me......except making it, thats a pain...

It's really rather easy with a little direction.

http://www.millersoap.com/

swamp
02-19-2013, 10:51 PM
I started making my own after reading an article about it in one of The Foxfire books. Haven't bought soap in about 10-15 yrs. When she was still around, it was all my mother would use . Said it didn't dry out her skin. She also liked to rub it on stains for clothes washing.

swamp

Idaho Mule
02-21-2013, 12:58 AM
I don't bother making it. I do take all the bear fat to sis-in-law so she can make it though. JW

elginrunner
02-21-2013, 11:18 PM
my wife makes all of our lye soap, and shampoo bars, and laundry detergent.... It lathers rather nice, It's scent free, It's cheap!! The only thing is, man oh man you do not want that stuff in your eyes.

she got recipie from frugallysustainable.com, look for vegan bar soap

TCLouis
02-21-2013, 11:23 PM
Idaho Mule

Bear Fat to soap???
Bear fat is the best leather treatment known to man.

Not sure what chewing critters would do to harness/other leather goods though

Gee_Wizz01
02-22-2013, 12:07 AM
When I was young, making soap was the last stage of butchering a hog. Grandma's soap could certainly clean a young boy up! My cousins and I used to sit and watch as Grandma would shave the soap to wash our clothes in her old Whirlpool wringer washer, we were fascinated by the wringer.

G

Idaho Mule
02-22-2013, 01:55 AM
TC, yes bear fat makes very good soap. SIL loves it when we get a big fat fall bear and render out the lard for her. I agree with you on the leather treatment too. I like to mix it with Neatsfoot oil, just heat the two together and paint it onto your boots with a small 1.5" paint brush then set the boots close to the wood stove or on your boot dryer. That mix works great on chaps, saddles, straps and about anything leather I guess. JW

Gelandangan
02-22-2013, 02:09 AM
Soap? Fat? explain how to make things?

Heck most people believe that meat come in little packages in the supermarkets!

Bulldogger
02-22-2013, 09:38 AM
I really enjoyed reading that site, thanks for the link. I will definitely get around to trying this. I like making gifts for the Holidays (Christmas two years ago was beeswax candles for family and friends). I bet folks would like getting fancy handmade soaps.
Bulldogger

It's really rather easy with a little direction.

http://www.millersoap.com/