PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about a "Like" button?

DoubleAdobe
02-18-2013, 08:24 PM
I'm thinking we should campaign for a "like" button on this board.
I belong to some other boards that have this, and it is a good way to pretty much agree with what others say without having to make a post stating such.
I don't even pretend to know the mechanics or limitations of such a thing, if it can't be done, that's OK
What do you guys think?

felix
02-18-2013, 08:29 PM
Why be lazy? ... felix

Jim
02-18-2013, 08:32 PM
Why be lazy? ... felix

We have a 'like' button. :goodpost:

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-18-2013, 08:32 PM
ummm, I don't think so.
I don't do well with popularity contests
Jon

dragonrider
02-18-2013, 08:38 PM
It would remind me of ****book and I despise ****book.

plmitch
02-18-2013, 08:40 PM
You would have to make an unlike button too........

Recluse
02-18-2013, 08:54 PM
A big part of what makes this forum what it is and so successful is that we DON'T have a "like" button. Instead, if we agree (or disagree) with something that has been said, we can contribute to the conversation in a meaningful way.

A "like" button will simply diminish the content and quality of comments and observations made, in my opinion. This forum exists for the purpose of exchange of information and ideas and thoughts. Simply tapping a button does not fulfill that mission.

:coffee:

DoubleAdobe
02-18-2013, 08:58 PM
Alrighty then,that went well. See, I typed all that.

btroj
02-18-2013, 09:00 PM
Hey Recluse, +1

firefly1957
02-18-2013, 09:06 PM
I asked the same once and was told that is what the rating is for but that only rates the thread not the answers! Maybe a five stars for each post would work? then it could average to what we all think.

countryroads
02-18-2013, 09:16 PM
I don't like the idea.

Lloyd Smale
02-18-2013, 09:55 PM
I agree totaly

bearcove
02-18-2013, 10:00 PM
LIKE this! #$$#%$^&*(!@#$%^&

KYCaster
02-18-2013, 10:16 PM
Where's that dang DON'T LIKE button when you need it!

Jerry

wantoutofca
02-18-2013, 10:27 PM
****book like buttons tell ****book where you go even when not logged in. While I will never have an account there I still vote NO! If its a "like the thread" thing I like the star ratings better.

runfiverun
02-18-2013, 10:30 PM
i don't even know what all the buttons on my keyboard do err does, wait they don't do anything, i have to push them then they just get lower.
is there a way to install a like button i didn't see anything in the instruction booklet about installing more key's.
can i just pry one off and put a new one there?
there are about 40 on here i never use.
maybe i could just use a sticker if the replace one thing don't work?

km101
02-18-2013, 10:32 PM
A big part of what makes this forum what it is and so successful is that we DON'T have a "like" button. Instead, if we agree (or disagree) with something that has been said, we can contribute to the conversation in a meaningful way.

A "like" button will simply diminish the content and quality of comments and observations made, in my opinion. This forum exists for the purpose of exchange of information and ideas and thoughts. Simply tapping a button does not fulfill that mission.

Like! :kidding:

Kraschenbirn
02-18-2013, 10:38 PM
Don't do Facebook, don't do Tweet, don't do a 'blog' so, to me, adding any kind of a like/dislike 'button' here would kind like slapping cheap racing stripe decals on a work truck...a total waste of time and effort!! Just my nickle's worth.

Bill

imashooter2
02-18-2013, 11:04 PM
If we're voting, count my vote against.

boltons75
02-18-2013, 11:07 PM

"Like"......lol

David2011
02-18-2013, 11:52 PM
Don't do Facebook, don't do Tweet, don't do a 'blog' so, to me, adding any kind of a like/dislike 'button' here would kind like slapping cheap racing stripe decals on a work truck...a total waste of time and effort!! Just my nickle's worth.

Bill

+1. I make my living in the IT world and love this site just the way it is. I have a *book account simply because a niece posts her equestrian results on it and to get high school reunion info. We could easily attract attention we don't want. BTW- the niece won a world championship at the Pinto Worlds in Tulsa-Proud Uncle!

David

Bad Water Bill
02-19-2013, 09:08 AM
If it ain't broke don't fix it.:bigsmyl2:

When we start throwing sticks and stones because someone hurt our feelingsies then it will be time for me to move to where the rest of the real adults went.

41 mag fan
02-19-2013, 09:16 AM
I dont like this thread...wheres my dislike button at?? hmmmm

oldred
02-19-2013, 09:24 AM
Another vote for "don't like" the idea.

P.K.
02-19-2013, 10:48 AM
If it ain't broke don't fix it.:bigsmyl2:

When we start throwing sticks and stones because someone hurt our feelingsies then it will be time for me to move to where the rest of the real adults went.

"But it's what the Kewl Kids do!"

I'm with Bill. I've seen too many other boards with a "rating system" turn into one dog pile after another just because a "kewl" kid didn't agree with someone's opinion or personal preferance over this or that.

Another for Nada on the "like button."

blackthorn
02-19-2013, 12:13 PM
Don't fix what aint broke!! I can't even figger out how to put a "smilie" thingy into my posts so why would I want another thingy I can't use?

montana_charlie
02-19-2013, 12:18 PM
In order to get more 'likes' a person would be encouraged to say that which pleases others rather than that which is true.
Sometimes the truth is hard to 'like'.

CM

walltube
02-19-2013, 12:26 PM
NO!
sheesh! :roll:

Garpo
02-19-2013, 12:35 PM
In order to get more 'likes' a person would be encouraged to say that which pleases others rather than that which is true.

CM

:goodpost: What he said.

I belong to another forum that has a like button of which I rarely use. I see too many members doing this :kissarse: just to up their "like" count. I consider it juvenile and worst of all, it reminds me of FB.

alrighty
02-19-2013, 12:36 PM
I would vote no to having a like button as well.I have seen the like button turn into one big
:kissarse: contest.Same as rep points etc.

Shepherd2
02-19-2013, 12:41 PM
Don't need it.

oldred
02-19-2013, 12:49 PM
My other post is an example of what's wrong with the "Like button", I simply answered no to the question with no explanation or other input of any kind, I gave no reason at all for why I said no! I did that to make this point and that's the problem, sharing info is what this kind of forum is about so what's the point in just having anonymous "Don't like" replies without any discussion of why?

cbrick
02-19-2013, 12:53 PM
In order to get more 'likes' a person would be encouraged to say that which pleases others rather than that which is true. Sometimes the truth is hard to 'like'. CM

Far better said than any button could ever say it.

I agree completely that CastBoolits should not attempt to emulate a grade school popularity contest.

Rick

Recluse
02-19-2013, 02:14 PM

CM

Spot on, Charlie. Absolutely spot on.

Not only NOT being afraid or hesitant to offer an opinion or ask a question, but knowing that you're not going to be "graded" as such for doing so is a large part of what makes this forum what it is.

Olevern
02-19-2013, 02:23 PM
I agree with most of the above; ie: the lazy "like" button would discourage others adding to the conversation and is therefore undesirable.

I also am an advocate of the "Keep it simple" motto: The more "gadgets" you put on your car, the more things there are to go wrong and have to fix. Same applies to a board such as this.

Bad Water Bill
02-19-2013, 02:31 PM
Which is better?

I post how I cast,load,sight and shoot and somebody gives me a hate grade. who learned anything?

If I post and Charlie says "I do it this way" now folks have LEARNED 2 different ways and no fights resulted.

By the way does CHARLIE still own any firearms?:kidding:

I lost all of mine canoeing across Lake Michigan last year when a wave sank the boat and the water was 600 feet deep.:groner::groner:

RoyEllis
02-19-2013, 03:10 PM

This I "like", the original idea...not much. JMHO but if you're gonna use a "like/dislike button" then you stop the interaction/exchange flow & might as well resort to grunting as a response. It's akin to texting, if ya got something to say then put forth the effort to speak, don't send me some "ghetto shorthand" that's unreadable nor understandable due to misspelling and/or contractions of words that can't be contracted.
Old guy rant over, resume your normal broadcast.:drinks:

oldred
02-19-2013, 04:01 PM
Kinda looks like if there was a "Like" button it would not have gotten much use on this thread.

popper
02-19-2013, 04:38 PM
Never used a like or dislike button - microsoft could put one on your keyboard. Now if we are talking an agreement poll type button, could be useful instead of posting +1. I don't mind the typing +1, but counting them as I read is a PITA. Actually reading the posts does help one to recognize who knows what they are talking about.

fatelk
02-19-2013, 09:20 PM
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who's not a fan of the whole facebook thing. I can appreciate the practical aspects of something like facebook, but it's unbelievable to me how much time some people waste on it (I better be careful what I type, my wife might be watching).

Same with #@$#*&! texting. I can appreciate the technical and practical side of it, but it irritates the heck out of me when people want to text me all the time. Don't people talk anymore?

montana_charlie
02-19-2013, 10:56 PM
By the way does CHARLIE still own any firearms?
That would be affirmative, BWB.

If I were to say that all of mine got destroyed, I could never go outside and shoot. You see, I would always have to worry about that satellite or drone taking my picture ... and proving I lied.
As it is, I'm free to shoot whenever I can find ammo, and 'they' can continue to speculate on what I may have that they haven't yet seen.

If the government gets serious about confiscation, they won't send a guy with a clipboard to ask if I have any.
They will send a couple of cars full, and we won't need to play any guessing games to know what the story is.

CM

AricTheRed
02-19-2013, 11:24 PM
By the way does CHARLIE still own any firearms?:kidding:

I lost all of mine canoeing across Lake Michigan last year when a wave sank the boat and the water was 600 feet deep.:groner::groner:

Like Charlie, I still own all of my firearms, none were lost in unfortunate boating accidents.

I will not register, I will not surrender. I am what the government should fear. A free thinker. A citizen.

Idaho Mule
02-20-2013, 12:08 AM
I like it the way it is. If someone doesn't like what I say, they tell me so. If someone does like what I say, they tell me so. Pretty simple. I think MC said it best tho. JW

10 ga
02-20-2013, 01:52 AM
:castmine: Vote that is for more choices. Sorta like, like a lot, love it, not so much, dislike and hate at a minimum. And that is just for what they wrote, then have to have choices for the poster. And then lets have a choice for how do you like their avatar. And then have a choice for what you think of their signature. Well I guess this post will push sombodys button! NO, no more buttons. 10 ga

oldred
02-20-2013, 09:42 AM
Personally I have an old Glenfield 22, a Stevens 94 shotgun, a Raven chrome plated 25 auto and a couple of other non-descript junkers that they see and hear me shooting, it's all I have left now since all my nice guns were lost when MY boat sank!:mrgreen: