PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here casting for a class 3 9mm sub machine gun?

Ole
02-18-2013, 07:51 PM
Buddy of mine bought a 9mm submachine gun a couple weeks ago and he's looking for ways to feed this thing on the cheap. I suggested maybe he look into casting bullets to feed it.

It's a variant of one of those Finnish Saumi guns if I understood his description of it.

I know he's got at least 6 months before he sees the gun, but he knows I'm a caster and he's asking a lot of questions.

Just wondering if anyone here has experience with this kind of thing.

Thanks.

jdgabbard
02-18-2013, 08:46 PM
Yeah, it could be fed with cast. There have been guys do it. Just like any other gun. Have to look at the condition and size of the barrel, and cast accordingly.

Raven_Darkcloud
02-18-2013, 08:49 PM
Might be good candidate for powder coated boolits.

Gar
02-18-2013, 10:12 PM
I shoot cast in both my Sten and Suomi without any major problems, I do have to scrub the barrels after every trip to the range though. Little bit of leading but nothing to complain about.

runfiverun
02-18-2013, 11:11 PM
he's got 4-8G for a gun but bullets are too expensive :lol:

crawfobj
02-18-2013, 11:21 PM
Mike venturino shoots cast in his sub guns. He's discussed it in several of his handloader magazine articles.

jaysouth
02-18-2013, 11:37 PM
I once had a Smith and Wesson Model 76. I loaded several thousand Meistercast 124 TCs over 231 and fired them without any issues.

It sure was fun, but I simply could not afford to feed this little beast. I sold it for several times what I paid for it.

root
02-19-2013, 12:22 AM
Yup for a few sub guns and I shoot cast out of the suppressors too.
( I'm a stamp collector)

NO different the J bullets accept it smokes a bit more.

See my "Made these for this" thread I posted a few days ago.

One thing I suggest is only use take apart cans for the lead.

It's the lube that gunks them up.

Gar
02-19-2013, 08:17 AM
( I'm a stamp collector)

LOL, never thought of if that way, but you're right! I'm one too.

44man
02-19-2013, 09:17 AM
5 seconds of shooting and weeks of casting! [smilie=1:

fcvan
02-19-2013, 02:31 PM
A buddy of mine uses the Lee 356-120 TC over 5 grains of Unique in his UZI sub gun. According to him it doesn't result in any leading issues at full auto. Many years ago, I shot a bunch of Lee 356-126 2R (mine mic at .358 which is what I size to) over 5 grains of Unique in a Marlin Camp Carbine. Although not a sub gun I used a trigger activator to simulate full auto and didn't have any leading issues. When they outlawed the trigger activator I got rid of it. It didn't work that well on the Marlin but did on a Mini 14. Anyway, the extra heat from rapid fire didn't cause any issues with the Javelina lube I was using back in the early 90s. I would think powder coated boolits would work rather well in reducing smoke from the lube. There was a lot of smoke from launching 20 rapid fire cast boolits - but it was fun :)

Coffeecup
02-19-2013, 04:07 PM
A friend tried out some of my 9mm loads in his HK. They worked fine. Bullet was a nominally 115 grain RN lubed with alox/beeswax, loaded to match ball. The only real problem was the shock on his face when he realized how dirty it left his "Baby."

KCSO
02-20-2013, 10:53 AM
I ran cast in both a gerase gun and a Uzi. For both i cast bullets of rn design from 1/2 and 1/2 wheel weight and lino. I lubed with both Carnuba red and NRA and neither one leaded out to 250 rounds. For the 9MM I was using a 124 gr bullet with 4.0 of Bullseye. This is the same load I use in my semi auto Sten gun.

Larry Gibson
02-20-2013, 11:19 AM
In numerous subguns of various makes from MP40 to Sten to MP35 to Uzi's and various other military wepons I've shot quite a few commercial cast of 115-125 gr that were also TL with LLA over 4 gr Bullseye without leading. Depending on the commercial make and lube used w/o the LLA they all leaded a bit. My own cast of 356402, 356242B and Lee's 356-120-TC lubed with Javelina, BAC or other NRA 50/50 lubes over the same 4 gr Bullseye functioned flawlessly with no leading whatsoever even after several hundred rounds full auto.

Larry Gibson

crawfobj
02-20-2013, 11:49 AM
Larry, what alloy do you use? I'm about to run a batch for use in my 9mm upper, potentially for play with a slidefire stock.

btreanor
02-20-2013, 03:22 PM
We used to feed a friend's Thompson SMG with cast boolits and used a FMJ about every 5th round in the magazine to prevent lead build-up. It seemed to work pretty well.

RG1911
02-21-2013, 05:57 PM
Good to hear this information, since my M2 Carbine cycles at 750 rpm. So you can go through a 30-round mag in about 2.5 seconds. I had planned to start casting for my M1 Carbines, so I'm glad that I should be able to use cast in the M2.

By the way, I got the BATFE approval to pick up my latest M2 right before Christmas. I had submitted the paperwork in May of 2012. More recently, it took 7 weeks for the selling dealer to get approval to ship my silencer to my local dealer. Currently waiting to get the sheriff's blessing (6-8 weeks now because they're flooded with applications for concealed carry permits caused by the current craziness -- a year ago it was a 4-day turnaround). Then we'll see how long it takes for the feds to bless my Form 4.

The last information I had was that there are only 7 agents working the NFA office in West Virginia, and I heard they receive something on the order of 10,000 applications a month. And, no, there's no incentive to put more agents in the office to expedite applications.

Cheers,
Richard