PDA

View Full Version : 7.62x39mm Cast Bullet Source

Woodsrunner
02-18-2013, 06:27 PM
Greetings,
I recently purchased a CZ527 Carbine in 7.62x39mm and I am looking into reloading for it. It is my first "modern" rifle except for .22 rim fires. From what I've read, it looks like I need diameter .311 bullets. I have cast bullets for 30+ years, but all were pure lead RB for my flintlocks in calibers from .36 - .62. I really don't want to start casting alloys. So I am looking for commercial sources of proper cast projectiles that I can purchase. Any suggestions.
Thanks,
FK

Gar
02-18-2013, 10:19 PM
I haven't seen a commerical source of lead boolits for the 7.62x39 but I know Berrys makes a copper plated lead bullet for it.
RCBS and Lee both have nice molds for the 7.62x39. Why not empty the pot and add a few wheel weights and go for it.

Gar
02-18-2013, 10:21 PM
PS, just caught your post count. Welcome to the forum

roots911
02-18-2013, 10:32 PM
Woodsrunner,
I size the lee mold cast slugs to .313 and fire them in my Russian SKS with good results. Ialso used the lee in the tumble lube configuration unsized with good results. Alloy was water dropped wheel weights. No leading either way. Welcom and good luck in your new endevor.

turtlezx
02-18-2013, 10:34 PM
For $25 you can get a lee mold for the 7.62 x39mm round
and make your own . Iam sure some here would swap some
ww for your pure soft lead

Blammer
02-18-2013, 10:42 PM
welcome!

I'd check out the Vendor Sponsor section, there are several there who cast for sale, perhaps you'll find what you're after.

DrCaveman
02-18-2013, 10:53 PM
Woods runner

I have had that gun for close to two years, really like it. I slapped a 3-9x40 scope on it, and using Yugo milsurp I was able to shoot 1" groups at 100 yds all day. That set trigger is the cats meow.

Only started casting for it about 6 months (or maybe 9, time flies) and still haven't yet matched that accuracy but doing better all the time. I tried some lee 309 boolits, they didn't shoot too well and leaded the bore, so yes I think 311 is the way to go. Also I have had poor results with plain based so have gone to adding gas checks to my newer 312-160 TL lee mold boolits.

Finally got some good 50 yd groups, using rx7 powder. The check seemed to help a lot.

My guess is you could get away with pure lead at low velocities (like, using unique or a faster pistol powder) as long as you gas check it and size to 311.

Awww, c'mon you really don't want to add a little 50/50 solder and shotgun shot fr just one batch? The boolits come out so nice and sharp, it is a beautiful sight.

If you seriously do not want to start alloying, I would be willing to swap some cast boolits from above mentioned mold for some pure lead.

I have a lot of alloy, not so much pure lead so could give you a pretty good deal. PM me if interested, we can discuss details.

And, welcome. Great choice in rifle.