PDA

View Full Version : Flintlock

badboyparamedic
02-18-2013, 04:04 PM
I have very little experiance with black powder but have always wanted a flintlock rifle, everyone I talk to says do not start off with a flintlock. Only reason they will give me is it is to complicated and to much of a PITA to learn on.

Are they right??

Suggestions??

Maven
02-18-2013, 04:16 PM
Although the learning curve is steeper than that of a percussion (caplock) rifle, it is by no means insurmountable or uninteresting. Read as much as you can about the care and feeding of the flintlock, especially troubleshooting and possibly lock tuning as well. Here's a list of articles to get you started: http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showforum.php?fid/83/

GARD72977
02-18-2013, 04:19 PM
There was a time when everyone started out with a flintlock! If that is what you want then that is what I would get. Just make sure you get a good quality flintlock.

mooman76
02-18-2013, 04:26 PM
Pick up a cheap caplock and learn off of it first, then move up if you want to. If you really really want to then do it but I'd suggest look and learn all you can first and don't settle for a cheap flinlock because you most likely will not be happy.

waksupi
02-18-2013, 04:35 PM
They are not complicated, there are just some things that you need to learn that become second nature. If you buy cheap and get a poor lock, then yes, a flinter can be a study in frustration. I've shot them long enough, and watched caplocks shooters for enough years, to consider flint locks more reliable.

DIRT Farmer
02-18-2013, 07:54 PM
Strange I heard the same story back in '67. I started with a cheap lock, learned way more about working on a lock than I wanted to learn.
Follow Wakuspi's advice, although the education didn't kill me, but I did learn to take the short cut to sucess and pay more for locks

pietro
02-18-2013, 08:11 PM
Yeah - Cheap rocklocks have spoiled the genre for more BP shooters than I can count.

Whatever's considered for purchase - it's a good idea to install a flint in the cock and dry fire it to see if the lock makes a good shower of sparks.

If it does, then all you need is some real FFFg Holy Black (No BP substitutes), and some patches/boolits - although a few unholy folks use saboted pistol slugs for projectiles.

A rifle with a patent breech makes cleaning after a day's shooting a snap, since the bbl's easily lifted from the stock for a hot water flush.

badboyparamedic
02-18-2013, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the replies. Not made of money, any recomendations on a decent rifle to start with??

Obviously cheap is not the answer for a beginner, but cant afford a top of the line gun either.

Hanshi
02-19-2013, 02:59 PM
If you decide on a cheap flintlock, it might be worthwhile getting a quality American replacement flint lock. Otherwise look for a used flinter by a good custom (or private) builder.

Taylor
02-19-2013, 09:09 PM
I have been wanting a flintlock for a while now. A Tennessee Mountain rifle. I'm with you on that.