PDA

View Full Version : The great part about our muzzleloaders

Fly
02-18-2013, 02:56 PM
The great part about our muzzleloaders is, we don't have ammo shortage like the rest (WINK).

Fly:-D:-D:-D:-D

mooman76
02-18-2013, 03:25 PM
Actually some things are in short supply but nothing like the other stuff. Mainly because they are maximizing effort on the stuff that they can't keep up with. Our needs are fewer also.

idahoron
02-18-2013, 03:31 PM
There is a shortage here on Pyrodex P. I know several guys that think that since the other powder is in short supply they are going to get their ML powder before the companies stop it to make smokeless. I have been sitting on 15 pounds of P for a while. I am needing to shoot a new gun to get it ready. SO I am covered. Ron

FergusonTO35
02-18-2013, 03:52 PM
If your gun uses 209 primers those are nowhere to be found here. I just picked up my NEF Huntsman today and have no idea when I will be able to shoot it.

Nobade
02-18-2013, 05:16 PM
Muzzle loader 209's are the only primers Powder Valley DOES have in stock. Percussion caps are pretty tough to get now, though the local Sportsman's Warehouse does have some RWS ones at $6/100.

deerslayer303
02-18-2013, 06:13 PM
I don't frequent the BIG suppliers because guess where EVERYONE else is shopping too? And some of you might want to search elsewhere also. I have 3 mom and pop run gun shops within 30 minutes from me, and they get ALL of my business. I have no problem getting what I need. I pay about a dollar more for caps and about 3 dollars more per lb of pyro if needed, but I don't mind giving my business to these small shops. Do a google search for "gun shop" in your town and you might be surprised what you find that you never knew was there.

Fly
02-18-2013, 06:17 PM
Well that is my main concern is caps.I make my own powder, so maybe need to figure
out how to make my own caps also.

Fly

Fly
02-18-2013, 06:18 PM
Well that is my main concern is caps.I make my own powder, so maybe need to figure
out how to make my own caps also.

Fly

Got to thinking, they can't stop my flintlock,Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Fly

DIRT Farmer
02-19-2013, 01:13 AM
I rember reading in one of the Fox Fire series of shooting a bear with a nail head wraped in a leather patch, Sooooo Fly, home made powder, picked up flint and a nail head wraped in part of you shoe, your good to go.

farmallcrew
02-20-2013, 11:41 PM
I paid 4.99 for Remington #11 caps. Got 2 packs of 100. Had to blow the dust off the blister pack. No cap or 209 primer shortage here in central PA.

But the OP is right. People who shoot muzzleloaders really only need to buy caps or primers. Because you can produce everything else.

missionary5155
02-21-2013, 07:48 AM
Good morning
When I went through tank commander school the sarge in charge would start many classes by repeating "logistics, Logistics, LOGISTICS". He was right. I keep trying to stay stocked up on those important items.
But happily I need more sharp edged rock shards for the bulk of my front stuffer shooting I do when up north there. I understand why many old hunters refused to go to caplocks and then cartridge guns even into the 1900's.
Mike in Peru

Boz330
02-21-2013, 09:48 AM
The farm I deer hunt on has flint laying everywhere, in fact it was a problem back when they were using turning plows because it wore the points out post haste.

Bob

Shooter
02-21-2013, 11:01 AM
I rember reading in one of the Fox Fire series of shooting a bear with a nail head wraped in a leather patch, Sooooo Fly, home made powder, picked up flint and a nail head wraped in part of you shoe, your good to go.

I have heard storys of lining up a shot at game with a tree so the lead could be recovered.
I hope things don't get that tight.
Most small sellers of black powder have been run out of business by insurance co. and storage regulations.

Boerrancher
02-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Good morning
When I went through tank commander school the sarge in charge would start many classes by repeating "logistics, Logistics, LOGISTICS". He was right. I keep trying to stay stocked up on those important items.
But happily I need more sharp edged rock shards for the bulk of my front stuffer shooting I do when up north there. I understand why many old hunters refused to go to caplocks and then cartridge guns even into the 1900's.

Mike in Peru

Back in the 1900's My Great great grandfather only had one gun, and it was an old trade gun. Don't ever know what happened to it, probably got tossed or sold by some of the family after the old man died in the early 20's. I was told he refused to use anything else because he said no matter what he was able to find and refine lead, sulfur, and KNO3 all with in a couple days of where he lived here in MO. I was told that he fed his family of 9 with that old gun, so I guess his plan worked well for him.

Best wishes,

Joe

Fly
02-21-2013, 04:58 PM
Yea Joe me too.I make my own black powder, cast my own balls & make my own lubes.Being I'm a
retired tool & die maker I know I can make my own die for caps.But I just don't know what impact explosive
they use inside them.Unless it is a small amount of flash powder.

Fly

Boz330
02-21-2013, 05:52 PM
Yea Joe me too.I make my own black powder, cast my own balls & make my own lubes.Being I'm a
retired tool & die maker I know I can make my own die for caps.But I just don't know what impact explosive
they use inside them.Unless it is a small amount of flash powder.

Fly
The old Tap-A-Cap used cap gun caps but I'm not sure where you would even get caps anymore. Guys are reloading primers with the strike anywhere match tips. I don't know why that wouldn't work.
There is a guy here who has been playing with priming compounds, maybe he will jump in with some ideas. Potassium Chloride or something similar to that is percussion sensitive. I remember fooling with it when I was a kid. Of course that was 50 some odd years ago. I decided that was way more dangerous than I wanted to deal with. I used it instead of KNO3 in some BP and if you hit it with a hammer it would ignite.

Bob

451 Pete
02-21-2013, 07:31 PM
The old Tap- O - Cap percussion cap makers were made by Forester. Many folks had mixed opinions as to how well they actually worked. One trick that helped was using a very hot cap gun cap ... the company recommended German cap gun caps as they were hotter at the time these were being made than the caps made in the U.S. I obtained one of these a couple of years back and yes they do work. Toy cap gun caps can still be bought at Wall Mart. Found two problems ... the caps are a bit teadious to make and they tend to leave paper residue in the nipple after using.

Pete