PDA

View Full Version : Switching lubes and cleaning?

1Shirt
02-18-2013, 01:59 PM
Just wondering about the results of others when switching/mixing lubes on the same boolits when shooting. Shooting them as is, or cleaning before shooting a different lube. It has been my practice to clean when switching loads on the range using a different lube. Usually however that has been a couple of patches with Ed'sRed, followed by a couple of dry patches. Just for the sake of trying it however, the last couple of times at the range, I did not clean between changing loads with different lubes. Accuracy stayed the same when I switched from Lars Can Red to Lee Mulesnot. However it went to He!! in a handbasket going the other way, and groups opened up at 50 yds from an inch or under to 2-3"or more.. This was with both 7x57 in a 77Ruger, and a 308 in a Sav 10. When I cleaned after shooting the LLA, and shot Lars Red Can, or Lars 50-50, groups went back to normal. Have any others by chance had like results, or are they smart enough to find a lube that works for them and just stick with it?[smilie=1:

More and more, I am thinking of using LLA or 45-45-10 on handgun bollets only, and staying with Lars or something like Felix lube only for rifle. Lars Red works great for me in mild to hot temps, but is less than great in cool/cold weather. Lars 50-50 seems to work well at all temps. Btroj gave me some green lube that I think he got on line, that is fairly soft that also seems to work well at all temps. Also think that some lubes perform better in front of slower burning powders than they do fast ones, particularly at vols in excess of 1800 or so fps. But that is probably a pressure factor.

Any how, I thank in advance, all who respond to this thread.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

williamwaco
02-22-2013, 09:49 PM
I find that 80% of the time it is necessary to fire three to six fouling shots when changing anything, powder, bullet, or lube.
About 19% of the time it is a good idea and about 1% of the time it doesn't matter.

btroj
02-22-2013, 10:08 PM
I am like William, I find it takes a few rounds to get things to settle down between lubes. I don't bother to clean, the new lube will clean out the old.

Best way I have found is to not change lubes!