PDA

View Full Version : Am I using the right bullet lube?

fatelvis
07-29-2007, 08:15 PM
I'm kind of new to casting/sizing, but have done about +/-700 bullets in 4 different calibers. My question is, I've been using the RCBS green pistol lube that came with my RCBS sizer, (very happy with it, using gas checked bullets under 1500 fps),and will be running out soon. I don't have a heater, but notice almost all lubes "suggest using a heater for best results". Can it be that the green pistol lube that I have been using is one of the only lubes not needing heat, or is this just a bunch of crap? Also, will this pistol lube work as I start to get into the 1700fps range and above? Thanks so much-

shooter93
07-29-2007, 10:22 PM
There are a lot of lubes that don't need heated...LBT blue and I believe Bull Shop green to name just two. If your happy with it you can get RCBS in rifle or pistol to cover a lot of velocities. But there are tons of lubes out there...ask 100 cast bullet shooters for the best lube and you'll get 110 answers.

454PB
07-30-2007, 12:40 AM
I use the same 50/50 Alox/beeswax home made lube for everything from 700 fps. pistol loads to 2400 fps. rifle loads. Don't write off the RCBS lube until you've tried it.

dromia
07-30-2007, 02:13 AM
I would advise giving Glen Larsen's Lubes a try, they all work as advertised, most don't need heat and the price is the best around. I'm in the UK and its still cheaper than the mainstream stuff even after shipping, customs and tax is added.

There is a link to his website at the bottom of the page Lar45's LsStuff.

Snapping Twig
07-31-2007, 02:10 AM
I use Alox - the one with the hog on the box or Lyman's proprietary lube. No heat needed and they work great!

9.3X62AL
07-31-2007, 10:02 AM
I'm another Alox/beeswax user, Javelina is the stuff. I read somewhere, I think in the instructions for the Lyman 450 a LONG time ago......that Alox/beeswax lubes tended to flow poorly in temps below 73* F. They aren't kidding. In what passes for winter around here, I heat up the Lyman sizer/luber's reservoir area with one of the many used blow-dryers that really pile up around here with all the daughters we've raised.

mstarling
08-01-2007, 12:28 PM
I used NRA Formula 50/50 Alox/Bees Wax and then Javelina Alox for years and years. Is fairly smokey and does require some heating if used when the weather is cold. Works fine w wheel weights to something over 2000 fps.

Recently switched to Larsen's Carnauba Red as I am making more and more rifle bullets. Bought a heater for cold mornings but it is really only needed when then ambient temperature gets cool. Works great with .309" to .476" rifle bullets as well as pistol bullets from .355" to .452".

Carnauba Red is a fine lube that yeilds less fouling and is less smokey than Alox and a LOT cheaper too. Will continue to use and recommend this fine product.

RSOJim
08-02-2007, 06:45 AM
Hi, I have been making my own lube for many years. One pound of bees wax, one pound of vaseline, one stick of LBT blue. Put all 3 ingredients in a steel 3 pound coffee can, place coffee can on a heat source, a grill used outside is best, melt the contents. Stir frequently. You will get a nice blue lube that flows thru a 450 lubesizer real easy.