PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Casting Mentor in Northern VA

thekidd76
02-17-2013, 09:55 PM
I'm wanting to get into casting and am looking for someone local to show me the ropes. If you are in the NOVA area and wouldn't mind showing a newbie the ropes please let me know.

Thanks.

rintinglen
02-18-2013, 03:49 AM
I'll be heading that way when I retire, but I still have a few years to go yet. I intend to settle near my daughter in the Culpeper area. Sorry I can't help you now.

olafhardt
02-18-2013, 05:23 AM
You may not really need a mentor. The most difficult thing is starting. I started with a cheap small lee mold, the smallest lee pot, some sugar for flux, an old gravy ladle and some matches to smoke molds. One session I sprayed a mold with silicone and it worked for me. I smelt in the same pot although many advise agianst it. It works for me I only want to cast small batches but I can try all sorts of things sorts of stuff. Read the stickies here and fotget allyou ever read any where else. If you want to know anything about casting ask us. I don't know much but gear knows almosteverything, as do many others here. I find these guys seem to be very tolerent and careing toward rookies. We really seem to enjoy it when somebody screws and tells us, this is the basis of my signature. I will also add they were really kind and compasionate when my wife of 45 years died unexpectedly in December.

44man
02-18-2013, 08:57 AM
I'm wanting to get into casting and am looking for someone local to show me the ropes. If you are in the NOVA area and wouldn't mind showing a newbie the ropes please let me know.

Thanks.
How far are you from Harpers Ferry?

thekidd76
02-18-2013, 10:15 AM
Sopping sorry to hear about your wife olafhardt. Thanks for the advice though.

44man, I'm about 45 min from Harpers Ferry. That's definitely a distance I would be willing to drive a couple times to learn from a pro.

44man
02-18-2013, 10:38 AM
Sopping sorry to hear about your wife olafhardt. Thanks for the advice though.

44man, I'm about 45 min from Harpers Ferry. That's definitely a distance I would be willing to drive a couple times to learn from a pro.
You are welcome any time. I am retired and always here. Bring guns too, I have my own range.
It might not be kosher to give my address here but we are friends.
It is 379 Cherry Run Rd, Harpers Ferry, WV 25425. I am in Bakerton actually so do a search with Mapquest. My phone is 304-876-3932 and anyone close is also welcome. Mods can move it to a PM if needed but I trust all of you. Call me.

thekidd76
02-18-2013, 10:57 AM
Thanks. That puts you right at an hour from me. I'm going to save your info and reach out to you later this week. If possible maybe I can head your way next weekend.

44man
02-18-2013, 11:18 AM
That will be fine.
My biggest gripe is we all live so far apart, darn some are in other countries!

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
02-18-2013, 11:22 AM
My biggest gripe is we all live so far apart

I've always wanted to visit Harper's Ferry, I'll have to look you up when I'm in the area

44man
02-18-2013, 12:00 PM
I've always wanted to visit Harper's Ferry, I'll have to look you up when I'm in the area
Please stop in.

jaysouth
02-18-2013, 05:11 PM
Watch out of the ghosts!

A little bit of Harper's Ferry lore: http://www.harpersferrywv.net/ghost_stories_of_harpers_ferry__.htm#The Harpers