PDA

View Full Version : CZ82 9x18 Mak - ok with Lead Cast

Namerifrats
07-29-2007, 03:07 PM
Ok, here we go again. I done some searching in this forum and pulled up several discussions in reference to firing cast lead bullets in a Polygonal Rifled barrel. I bought a very nice CZ82 9x18 Makarov pistol and want to shoot lead bullets in it. I've heard about "It's bad for the barrel" and I heard some others say it's fine. Mostly I keep reading about Glocks. I'm not really into plastic guns, so this is the only firearm I have with that type rifling. Should I be ok? I plan to cast the LEE 95 Grain bullet and fire it as a light to moderate plinking/target load. I'll save the max loads for Jacketed HP Defense loads.

mike in co
07-29-2007, 04:21 PM
i dont know...i have one of the 82's and an 83 in 9mak, but the rifling, if you can call it that, in mine have essentially no land. i stuck with jacketed in mine....hope someone else will chime in on this gun/this caliber and lead.

Wayne Smith
07-29-2007, 04:47 PM
I'm suspicious of anyone who argues that cast isn't safe or effective in polygonal barrels. Accuracy was defined by Whitworth in the 1840's (?) using cast slugs and polygonal bored "rifled" barrels. Worked then, why not now? The bullet obdurates to fit the barrel perfectly. What's the problem?

Namerifrats
07-29-2007, 05:18 PM
My CZ82 is the same way, looks like a shiny shotgun bore. I wouldn't see why cast wouldn't work either. Seems to me that lead would be softer and easier on the barrel than a hard jacketed bullet. But it seems to be a debate up in the air in many places and I wanted to check here with more people more experience with lead cast bullets. :castmine:

deltacornbread
07-29-2007, 05:31 PM
Please post updates as my CZ82 is ordered( should have already received it by now!).

Namerifrats
08-11-2007, 03:19 AM
So bringing this back to the top for an update. I'll hopefully have some info on how cast bullets do in the polygonal rifled CZ82. I didn't get any negative post in reference to the potential of damage to the barrel that seems to be rumored. So I placed an order for a LEE Mold, 95 Grain. I'll get some cast as soon as this heat dies out a little and load up 20 or so and see how they do and report back.

DanM
08-11-2007, 08:45 AM
Guys....be sure to try Winchester Super Field in your 9x18 loads. I have done a lot of experimenting with 9x18 in Maks, and WSF turned out THE magic powder. High speed, great accuracy, and low pressure signs. This was with XTPs, Midway cast RNs, and my cast SWCs. Speeds of 1130-1150 are easy with 95gr pills with a 19lb Wolff spring installed in my Makarovs. I have thought about getting the CZ82, so please keep us posted with your results. FWIW, I think you will be fine with cast in your CZ. Glocks are the only ones known to have trouble with cast, and even they do fine if the boolits are not too soft.

pumpguy
08-11-2007, 12:15 PM
Dan,

How much WSF are you using? I use 2.8-3.0 grains of Red Dot and really don't know how fast they are going. They function well in my Chinese Mak with XTPs and 95gr cast from a Lee mold. Where did you get a mold for SWC? I contacted Makarov.com and they do not have anymore. They have to buy them 100 at a time. Unfortunately, they hold the copyright to the design and are not planning on making anymore any time soon.

DanM
08-11-2007, 01:39 PM
I got the SWC mold thru Makarov.com, probably 3 years ago. It is a lee 6-banger. I have plenty made up, and could send you some to try if you want. Will have to look thru my notes for charge weights and OAL. Don't want to rely on my memory. CRS disease ya know. I even made some up with the SWCs seated backwards for a full wadcutter profile, and they worked.

Namerifrats
08-11-2007, 05:38 PM
I was fixing to ask you the same about the SWC Mold. I'd glady buy some from you to test out if you have plenty.

Freightman
08-11-2007, 06:22 PM
Cast is all I shoot in my Makarov, I use the LEE 90g do not size and use LLA never had any problem. My lands are very sharp, shoots about 3" high at 25 yds all can be covered with a palm of the hand. This is my CCW and I have put 1000's through it not one mal-function. No lead eather.

leftiye
08-11-2007, 06:33 PM
I think that maybe the thing to watch is leading. If you don't have any lead in there there would seem to be no way that cast could produce high pressures. Does anyone know if the CZ 52 in 7.62X25 has polygonal rifling or "Normal" lands and grooves? I'm considering getting one- the cartridge really intrigues me.

Curtis44
08-11-2007, 07:14 PM
Guys, I have been using both the Lee and the Lyman Mak moulds in my CZ-82 without problems. Both cast about 101 grs in my alloy and I lube with GAR 50/50.

2.5 to 3.4 WW231 works just fine. The bore looks like a mirror after shooting! I cleans up easily with a few patches. To make it even better, it is consistently more accurate with cast than J words.

Namerifrats
08-11-2007, 08:55 PM
CZ52 has regular lands and grooves. I have one and handload my 7.62x25 cartridges. I have some new rounds loading for it I haven't had the chance to shoot yet. 7.62x25 with .30 plastic sabots with a .224 bullet. Supposed to give really high velocity.

leftiye
08-11-2007, 09:42 PM
Name? Thanks very much for that info! Ted

singleshotbuff
08-12-2007, 12:36 AM
I shoot a 120gr lead boolit outta my CZ52 with 5.0grs Unique. Fast enough (about 1250 fps) and accurate too. Only problem with the 52 is finding the damn brass! Mine throws it about 20ft, with factory loads or handloads, and not always in a consistent area.
SSB

DanM
08-12-2007, 04:41 PM
My 9x18 loads with WSF go from 5.1-5.4grs. maximum. I do want to stress that you will need the Wolff 19lb recoil spring with these loads. 5.1grs will give you a warm factory equivlant load of about 1040fps. 5.4grs will push a 95XTP to over 1130fps with excellent accuracy. That is my carry load. My other top 9x18 powders are Unique and Hodgdon Universal Clays, but they dont best WSF. The SWCs do punch nice clean holes in paper with small groups. They are the only boolits that ever gave feeding problems in the mak. Sorry, I forgot to write down the OAL, but it is easy enough to figure out. When you get it right, they feed fine. I could spare some SWCs, send me a PM with your address. I think the design could stand some improvement. It is a TL style, but with only three little lube grooves. Most TLs have those little grooves all the way down the side. What I am saying is that if the design is copywrited or something, it could likely be changed for the better.