PDA

View Full Version : Beef, Mutton and Deer Tallow...

Marine Sgt 2111
07-29-2007, 01:48 PM
I saw mention of a home made bullet lube using mutton tallow. Can you also use beef and deer tallow? Does tallow mixed in a bullet lube spoil or degrade in warm weather? What ratio of tallow to beeswax should be used? What about the various vegtable oils in bullet lube mixes and quanities?

Any and all comments and experiences greatly appreciated.

powderburnerr
07-29-2007, 02:29 PM
the best tallow is the kidney fat rendered .. if you dont mix it with back fat it is the best.......mutton , deer and beef in that order IMHO.......Dean

randyrat
07-29-2007, 03:23 PM
You failed to mention Bear tallow. I tried it and it worked. I kept mine in the frig. I'm not sure if they will spoil or not..

Scrounger
07-29-2007, 03:26 PM
the best tallow is the kidney fat rendered .. if you dont mix it with back fat it is the best.......mutton , deer and beef in that order IMHO.......Dean

So that's why CarpetMan hangs out at the sheep pen! Who knew?

OLPDon
07-29-2007, 03:27 PM

Powderburnerr:

How best to render kidney fat? Haven't tried kidney fat yet but I surly will.
Thanks
Don

MT Gianni
07-29-2007, 04:06 PM
Powderburnerr:

How best to render kidney fat? Haven't tried kidney fat yet but I surly will.
Thanks
Don

Boil the piss out of it. Gianni

Bullshop
07-29-2007, 05:15 PM
I usta use tallow in BP lube but no longer do. I tried lots of differant kinds and found by far buffalo to be the best.
bic/bs

gray wolf
07-29-2007, 06:50 PM
I have used mutton tallow, beeswax and paraffin, with a small amount of bore butter. For my B/P shooting. It worked very well with Pyrodex and 777.
I have #200 --- 460 grain trash cans that I lubed last year and they look fine.
The lube has not dried out at all.
I got my Mutton tallow from Dixy gun works and it came in a little plastic tub.
It has been through two summers sitting on a shelf. It has not spoiled.
They may have a preservative in it, I don't know for sure.
At one point I made it to hard and I re softened it with an oil made from seeds.
It is called Lube & Loosen. This stuff is very good and it is sold as a general purpose Lube. It is petroleum free. I am going to try it in the 45 a c p and see how it works. I have about a 1/2 stick in my sizer. I hope it works I hate cleaning the darn things.
My 2 Nuggets on this. I think of the bees wax as the delivery system. I melt it down and then add the tallow. This of course softens the Bees wax. Then I add a little paraffin. and two table spoons of the oil.
If it is two soft I add a little more Bees wax or paraffin. The bore butter was an after thought. But since it was B/P I was not worried.
Annnnnny who it worked out fine. I am going to get some Jojoba oil and some
carnubee stuff and play with it.
It is so easy to by carnubee red at $1.25 a stick and be done with it, but I love to tinker and do stuff myself.
I hope I helped a little.

Duckiller
07-29-2007, 07:05 PM
rr: Bear tallow has to spoil or else you couldn't use rancid bear grease as a mosquito repellant.

hydraulic
07-29-2007, 08:23 PM
I've been using deer tallow/beeswax for several years as a black powder cartridge bullet lube. First, shoot a deer. After skinning, I cut off a few chunks of fat from around the inside tenders, toss a chunk about the size of a fist in a sauce pan on the back of the wood stove. A few day later, when its melted I skim off the cracklins and add a piece of beeswax about the same size and stir. When i lube the bullets, .45-70's and 38-40's, I hold them with my fingers and dip into the melted lube. Seating them in the cases scrapes off the excess. Don't get your fingers in the melted lube. Hurts.