PDA

View Full Version : #11 Magnum Caps on Grafs

Ickisrulz
02-17-2013, 07:37 PM
Grafs has some #11 magnum caps available.

Mike Brooks
02-17-2013, 08:35 PM
I always have found regular caps sufficient for igniting BP.

DIRT Farmer
02-17-2013, 08:56 PM
Good to know, I like them on shotguns and at least there are some caps avatible.
Some target rifle shooters claim some increase in variables with mag caps, I don't shoot that well with a rifle to know.

deerslayer303
02-17-2013, 09:11 PM
At this point with the shortage, gotta take what we can get.

missionary5155
02-17-2013, 10:21 PM
Greetings
Just another reason to stock up in between these knee jerk buying spells. I think it was in July that I figured getting down to my two last tins was reason enough to get a bunch more plus some musket caps.
Happily no one seems to go bananas buying up good English flints during these times.
Mike in Peru

DIRT Farmer
02-18-2013, 02:33 AM
At midnight in the Y@K scare we had to cycle all of the eletrictronics on the ambulances to make sure they worked. I told the boss when he called that I had checked the scilon chip on my musket and it worked also.

Boerrancher
02-18-2013, 09:03 AM
The local Walmart had a clearance sale on all of their hunting supplies a few weeks ago. I noticed that they had Winchester No11s so I bought all they had over a weeks time. I don't shoot a cap lock much any more but now that I am sitting on a couple thousand caps I may just start.

Best wishes,

Joe

eddie56
02-18-2013, 11:34 AM
Cabela's had #11 caps yesterday.I don't like the $20.00 Hazmat fee but had to do it.

flounder
02-18-2013, 03:28 PM
The local Walmart had a clearance sale on all of their hunting supplies a few weeks ago. I noticed that they had Winchester No11s so I bought all they had over a weeks time. I don't shoot a cap lock much any more but now that I am sitting on a couple thousand caps I may just start.

Best wishes,

Joe

This illustrates exactly why we are experiencing artificial shortages and why those who regularly use #11 caps have been having problems getting them.

Mike Brooks
02-18-2013, 04:35 PM
I have probably 3,000 percussion caps of various sizes. All bought long ago when they were easy to find. (and 1/2 the price of today)

DIRT Farmer
02-18-2013, 07:59 PM
And although I normaly shoot a flinter now, caps are/were cheaper by the case. I was low and picked up another 5k last Fall.

Still no runs on English flints from conversations last evening and today. I am sitting on at least 250 in various sizes. If I run short, I may have to take some trading stock to MO.

Boerrancher
02-19-2013, 09:50 AM
This illustrates exactly why we are experiencing artificial shortages and why those who regularly use #11 caps have been having problems getting them.

Did you notice that I bought them over a period of time. I would go in every couple of days and pick up a few. Never buying more than 3 tins at a time. If you have a shortage in your area, it is probably because there are a lot more shooters who use percussion caps. Most folks here in MO use inlines now. You can buy good side lock guns for less than $100 bucks. I got into a nearly new T/C St Louis Hawken for less than $75. I passed up a like new in box 32 cal Crockett rifle for $250. People don't use #11 caps anymore and I can also name at least 3 gun shops with in 30 min of me that have No 11 caps in stock at all times. There is no shortage of them here. I am sorry if me saving a dollar per tin on caps gets your nose out of joint. Lack of planning and preparation on your part does not create an emergency on mine or anyone else's part. I am sorry if you can't find percussion caps in your area. I can't find 22LR shells in mine, and I am running low, but I am not complaining about it. I made a mistake and didn't stock up like I should have when I had the chance it is my fault and no others. I take full responsibility for my lack of foresight. Maybe you should for yours as well.

Joe

Mike Brooks
02-19-2013, 09:58 AM
My local shop has probably 2000 percussion caps in stock.

flounder
02-19-2013, 01:12 PM
I'm not out of joint at all and I have all the #11 caps I need. I just made a comment on the hoarding mentality that is creating artificial shortages where there should be none. I would hope most of us are mature enough not to feel we need to hoard something we are not even using and realize that when we do we are only hurting our fellow shooters.

dondiego
02-19-2013, 02:55 PM
I certainly don't consider buying 2000 caps hoarding. Stocking up when something is on sale is a good idea. I buy large and small pistol primers in 5000 case lots when at gun shows to prevent shipping and hazmat fees. I like to keep a good supply on hand but I don't feel I am hoarding. The guy certainly wanted to sell them. Luckily for others, I am not out there trying to buy right now or someone else may not be able to get them. When the supply comes back and the prices come down again, I'll be a bulk buyer.

flounder
02-19-2013, 03:37 PM
I am at fault for singling out one poster and for that I apologize. In a nutshell I am just trying to say that buying merchandise that you don't use or need just because there seems to be this mentality lately to buy all you can contributes to the problem and makes it hard for other shooters. If a little restraint is shown there is enough product for everyone.
I don't mean to ruffle anyones feathers and again I apologize for singling out that one post.

BTW, I have several inline muzzleloaders and they all use #11 caps. It is wrong to think all inlines use 209 primers.

dondiego
02-19-2013, 04:03 PM
Flounder - Understood, and I agree. Buying just to buy or even to gig someone else on the price increase is wrong.
A friend has a Remington inline ML that takes #11 caps. Works fine.

Boerrancher
02-21-2013, 12:16 PM
Flounder,

I apologize for being a bit cross. I have been sick for two weeks and have been a bit crabby. I do use #11 caps. I have a colt navy 44 that will burn through several hundred in an afternoon of shooting. My favorite squirrel rifle is my .32 cal Crockett, and when the squirrels are jumping I can go through several hundred a week. Yes, my main shooters are my flinters, but that was because I was too tight to pay the $6 to $8 a tin for caps that everyone is asking for. Now that I have a good supply I can give my flinters a break. I had to quit squirrel hunting last summer with the Crockett because of a cap shortage on my part. As I said I was too tight to pay the high prices to just to shoot squirrels.

Once again I do apologize for being cross. Your post just hit a sore spot with me. I do have a good supply of materials but I have acquired them over the years by buying a bit at a time and catching things on sale. The way I do things I don't have to panic buy. I have been accused of hording supplies during past shortages because I had enough supplies to carry me through by stocking up in the flush times.

Best wishes,

Joe

357maximum
02-24-2013, 04:28 PM

Best wishes,

Joe

Joe I intentionally go into that store after muzzlestuffer season every year intentionally looking for what you found. I have bought the mag winchesters as well as standard rems that way for as little a $2 a tin. When I find them on the cheap rack I buy them all, yep every last one of them.... and I make no apologies for it. I use them alot in my underhammers/sidelocks and it just plain feels good to have a lifetimes supply in your posession. I will not apologize to anyone for getting what I will need ahead of time especially when they are cheap. I figure if someone would have wanted them that badly...they never would have made it to the cheap rack in the first place.

Boerrancher
02-27-2013, 09:45 AM
I fully get your point. Heck I let most of them sit on the cheap rack for nearly a week. Every time I would go in I would count them and buy more. The only time the number count would change is when I bought them. That tells me no one else needed much less wanted them. Well I did need and want them. I just never had enough cash on me to buy them all in one shot so I had to do it over time.

Best wishes,

Joe