PDA

View Full Version : Midway gets on the bandwagon

arjacobson
02-16-2013, 10:31 PM
I just read a report that midway is banning sales of ammunition to LE in areas like NY. GOOD for them!!!

Love Life
02-16-2013, 10:36 PM
Link?

btroj
02-16-2013, 10:45 PM
I wonder how much business most of these companies really did directly with LE in these states?
I would think that a police dept would be able to deal directly with either a manuf or a distributor for ammo or firearms, not with a retailer.
Not saying I don't appreciate the gesture, just wonder how much true effect it will have.

LUCKYDAWG13
02-16-2013, 10:56 PM
I wonder how much business most of these companies really did directly with LE in these states?
I would think that a police dept would be able to deal directly with either a manuf or a distributor for ammo or firearms, not with a retailer.
Not saying I don't appreciate the gesture, just wonder how much true effect it will have.

i really dont think that they do. now my brother works for Black Hills ammunition
they do a lot of government and law enforcement work i would like to hear
from the ammunition markers they need to speak up

RoyEllis
02-16-2013, 11:09 PM
i really dont think that they do. now my brother works for Black Hills ammunition
they do a lot of government and law enforcement work i would like to here
from the ammunition markers they need to speak up

+1! What I'd really LMAO over would be the gun & ammo manufacturers pipe in & tell Odammit they are stopping sales to gov. entities. See how homeland sec., batfe, etc like having no access to what they want to take from us.........:dung_hits_fan:

Doc Highwall
02-17-2013, 01:53 PM
Both gun & ammo manufacturers have to think about their future also. The government may be buying a lot of ammo now but what happens after they have their order filled and our guns become illegal, who will they be able to sell it to?

imashooter2
02-17-2013, 01:57 PM
You would think such an announcement would be on their web site under News and Press Releases... it's not.

Errokk
02-17-2013, 01:59 PM
This confirms my feelings that Midway is a great company to deal with.

hiram1
02-17-2013, 03:18 PM
Don't bet the farm on this.If they did that the atfe would be on them like stink on poo.And you guys know it.As they have to have a ffl to stay open you know.

popper
02-17-2013, 04:53 PM
Midway and Grafs are in Mo.

imashooter2
02-17-2013, 05:07 PM
Don't bet the farm on this.If they did that the atfe would be on them like stink on poo.And you guys know it.As they have to have a ffl to stay open you know.

I don't think having an FFL means you have to sell to anyone that asks.

That said, I wouldn't bet the farm on it because Midway doesn't have any such announcement posted on their News and Press Releases section of their web site.

41 mag fan
02-17-2013, 07:38 PM
Regardless everyone needs to contact the gun makers and ammo makers and request they stop selling to gov't agencies

turmech
02-17-2013, 08:13 PM
Regardless everyone needs to contact the gun makers and ammo makers and request they stop selling to gov't agencies
I have been thinking the same thing. I would be nice if someone could contact them on behalf of a large origination or some sort of petition which pledged future purchases for manufactures which take this stance.

RoyEllis
02-17-2013, 08:21 PM
I'm not sure batfe would like the results of jumping on a company for refusal to sell, nothing in the FFL regs says you can't have a policy of "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone". If the batfe were to do something, I'm sure even the aclu wouldn't be able to resist the $$$ signs of the lawsuit for unlawfully interfering with interstate commerce (something atfe isn't legally allowed to regulate, it falls under the Interstate Commerce Commission's pervue). All that aside, it's probably more a "rattling of sabers" since the "banned ones" most likely don't shop there in the first place or do very little business with other than distributors for a wholesale price rate.

dakotashooter2
02-17-2013, 08:26 PM
Our LE orders their ammo through the local dealers. I'm not sure if dealers get any priority for LE orders or not.........I kind of doubt it.

hiram1
02-17-2013, 08:28 PM
oops You did not dot 2 i s your busted. And this is not because you don't sell to us

KYCaster
02-17-2013, 10:31 PM

Why does Midway need an FFL. They don't sell any firearms or manufacture anything.

Do they actually do any gunsmithing or repairs? Just sell the parts and videos AFAIK.

Just curious.
Jerry

BoolitSchuuter
02-17-2013, 10:48 PM

If they pull their license, then they can't make it for ANYBODY! The gov is not going to cut their own throat. It would definitely be a quandry

Lonegun1894
02-19-2013, 12:34 PM
KYCaster,
Midway needs an FFL because they offer certain parts (not that they're in stock right now) like AR lowers, 1911 frames, and a few bolt-action receivers. Now I would imagine that this is such a miniscule part of their operation that I doubt it matters much, but I don't think they need the FFL for anything else, so it shouldn't slow them down much if at all.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
02-19-2013, 01:32 PM

several have already joined in , but it is a simple numbers game far simpler than banking , the fact is that if a few% of your business it with law enforcement , and state governments are reducing your market by a much greater percentage ,you either have to stand up for it or get ready to send out the lay off notice.
even increasing price on law enforcement 100% couldn't make up for civilian sales.

maybe a few companies will choose to try and just send out a new price sheet and that might help some since politicians only seem to understand money and votes
can you imagine if Glock sent out a new price list and instead of making it complicated just move the decimal point 2 places to the right.

NY april 13 price on a G22 with night sights and 4 mags 749.99 NY april 15 price 74999.00 that's going to eat up a budget fast

Foxcatcher
02-19-2013, 03:30 PM
I believe Midway needs the FFL to retail sale ammo. I know you can't buy from large distributors without one.

This could hurt more officers than govts. A lot of officers use the govt discount to purchase their own "practice" ammo. I have my dept letterhead in with Midway myself. Brownells gives very good rates for LEOs.

Just FWIW most officers are on the public's side. I can't speak for large liberal city officers but I attend some LEO gathering where we get officer from across the country and most believe in the second amendment.

Don

Boz330
02-19-2013, 04:55 PM
Another company joins the fray. DoubleStar from Winchester KY.
is!
DoubleStar Corp.
Effective Immediately!!
Due to the recent changes in 2nd Amendment laws that are pending or currently enforced by states across the country, the J&T Family of Companies which includes J&T Distributing, DoubleStar Corp., Ace Limited, and the DoubleStar Training Academy has been forced to reassess our policies regarding government and law enforcement sales. Effective immediately, the J&T Family of Companies will be joining other manufacturers and distributors by ceasing sales of regulated items in states that have altered the rights of citizens to keep and bear arms.

The JTFOC will no longer sell prohibited items to law enforcement agencies or any government agencies in states, counties, cities, and municipalities that have enacted restrictive gun control laws against their law abiding citizens. We hope other companies will join us with their support. We applaud those already involved with this effort to protect our 2nd Amendment rights.

-Be Victorious

Bob

hiram1
02-19-2013, 06:26 PM
I hope they stand there ground and stay with it.I would love to have a list of them so i could buy from them only.

dRok
02-19-2013, 06:30 PM
Ive been sending emails encouraging others who have not chimed in to follow suit.

KYCaster
02-19-2013, 06:31 PM
KYCaster,
Midway needs an FFL because they offer certain parts (not that they're in stock right now) like AR lowers, 1911 frames, and a few bolt-action receivers. Now I would imagine that this is such a miniscule part of their operation that I doubt it matters much, but I don't think they need the FFL for anything else, so it shouldn't slow them down much if at all.

I believe Midway needs the FFL to retail sale ammo. I know you can't buy from large distributors without one.

This could hurt more officers than govts. A lot of officers use the govt discount to purchase their own "practice" ammo. I have my dept letterhead in with Midway myself. Brownells gives very good rates for LEOs.

Just FWIW most officers are on the public's side. I can't speak for large liberal city officers but I attend some LEO gathering where we get officer from across the country and most believe in the second amendment.

Don

I just looked through the Midway site and can't find any frames or lower receivers for sale. Lots of parts kits and uppers, but nothing with a SN on it.

I don't think there is any federal license required to buy and sell ammo and there are very few wholesalers and distributors who sell only to FFL's. Even those are willing to sell to you if you want to jump through the hoops. I never had any trouble dealing with anyone after showing proof of a retail tax account, a permanent business location and then establishing a line of credit.

As far as refusing to sell to LEO's......It's nice to see these companies taking a stance on the issue and I hope to see many others join the trend, but.......

......the companies committed to this don't seem to depend on LEO sales for a substantial part of their bottom line, and I don't think we're likely to see Glock, Sig, H&K or Remington jump on the band wagon any time soon.

So far, it's just a symbolic gesture that isn't going to have any effect on either side of the issue until the number of protesters grows substantially.

Jerry

AricTheRed
02-19-2013, 06:58 PM
.....the companies committed to this don't seem to depend on LEO sales for a substantial part of their bottom line, and I don't think we're likely to see Glock, Sig, H&K or Remington jump on the band wagon any time soon.

So far, it's just a symbolic gesture that isn't going to have any effect on either side of the issue until the number of protesters grows substantially.

Jerry

check out my earlier thread as it has LE sales email add for sig, glock and S&W...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?184391-The-mountain-guerilla-has-a-great-idea

shooter93
02-19-2013, 07:04 PM
Maybe some of the big companies will get on board and maybe not. Remington may not stop sales but their CEO said it's probable they will leave Conn. Several states are courting them. They bring 50 million a year into Conn. The taxpayers there are going to hate that tax increase.

DLCTEX
02-19-2013, 08:57 PM
The Mayor of Ilion (I think), NY was on Fox this morning angry at Gov. Cumo for endangering the 1600 jobs at Remington's plant there plus all the support industries. He also thought it wasn't fair for other states to offer tax breaks and court the company. The cost of the legislation is going up as we speak, LOL

Foxcatcher
02-19-2013, 09:33 PM
*B.****** FEDERAL FIREARMS LICENSEE (FFL) - Manufacturer, Importer, Wholesaler, Retailer, Pawnbroker, Gunsmith, Collector of Curios & Relics, § 922 (a)(9-13, 21-22)*

1.******** Firearms Business

*********** a.********Before engaging in the business of importing, manufacturing or dealing in firearms, a person must obtain a license from the ATF, § 922 (a)(1)(A). Willful violation, 5 years.

*********** b.********Before engaging in the business of importing or manufacturing ammunition, a person must obtain a license from the ATF, § 922 (a)(1)(B). Willful violation, 5 years.

*********** c.******** A person who sells ammunition only is not required to be licensed.

I stand corrected. They need one to IMPORT ammo. Not the sale of ammo alone.

Don

turmech
02-19-2013, 10:27 PM
In my state (MD) 1400 people signed up to testify to the senate judicial comittie against our proposed assault on the constitution. The committee hardly payed attention to the citizens. Many times members of the committee would get up and walk away during testimony.

But when Beretta said they planed to move the plant out of MD if the bill passed there demeanor changed. I don't know if Beretta’s statement will stop them, but there testimony was the only thing they heard that day.

The manufactures and distributors are our best hope how I see it. If not by stopping sales at least by moving to the remaining free states.

Boz330
02-20-2013, 09:56 AM
Remington already has a plant in Elizabethtown KY and we sure could use the jobs if they expanded. If you bring enough jobs the state will give you everything including the kitchen sink.

Bob

TXGunNut
02-23-2013, 11:22 AM
I'm sure many of you rec'd Larry Potterfield's recent e-mail, apparently he hasn't jumped on the price-gouging bandwagon. Many products are only on the shelf a matter of hours between receiving and shipping. Sounds like it will be a banner year for Midway if he can continue to get product. Quite possibly already is.
And yes, Midway has and needs a FFL. Troubles me to think the feds could use that for leverage on FFL holders who refuse to sell to certain agencies. Can't rule it out, all things considered.

KYCaster
02-23-2013, 11:48 PM
I'm sure many of you rec'd Larry Potterfield's recent e-mail, apparently he hasn't jumped on the price-gouging bandwagon. Many products are only on the shelf a matter of hours between receiving and shipping. Sounds like it will be a banner year for Midway if he can continue to get product. Quite possibly already is.
And yes, Midway has and needs a FFL. Troubles me to think the feds could use that for leverage on FFL holders who refuse to sell to certain agencies. Can't rule it out, all things considered.

Please forgive me for picking at this. I'm really not trying to be contrary, I'm just curious.

I don't doubt that Potterfield/Midway has a FFL, but I don't understand what it is about the business that requires a FFL.

I've looked through their site pretty thoroughly and can't find any guns or receivers for sale. AFAIK they don't manufacture any guns or ammo and if they provide any gunsmithing service, I can't find it.

Like I said, just curious.

Jerry

uscra112
02-24-2013, 12:50 AM
I'd love to see Remington clear out of NY. One big incentive would be to stiff that union they have to live with there.

As for Midway, I'd expect to find that anything L.P. puts out will be more marketing propaganda than substance. Not a big fanboi for Midway, am I.

fcvan
02-24-2013, 01:11 AM
For starters, there different typs of federal firearms licenses, dealer, builder, class III, etc. I believe Larry Potterfield started out as a small gun shop back in 1977. I doubt he let his license lapse at any time.

Secondly, although I am less familiar with federal purchase orders but, I am rather familiar with state purchase orders, particularly California. For some items, such as replacing worn out holsters, you have to get three bids from small, drug free, minority owned etc., businesses. Larger items, like our ammunition orders, were by contract with businesses which competed for the contract. For any business to refuse to sell to a government agency they need only bid high so as not to be competitive.

Contracts were typically annual and other orders would be periodic. If Midway, or any other firm, chose not to do business with a government agency it would be pretty easy to do without repercussion. As far as buying from a 'small business, minority owned, disabled verteran owned, drug free work environment, etc.' did not mean competitive pricing. I needed DVD players for the training department. I could have bought them from Wal-Mart for $89 but because it had to be (see above) such and such a business the lowest bid was (hold your hats folks) $409 for a DVD player. Nothing like a $330 dollar mark-up to help spread the wealth around.

patsher
02-24-2013, 04:26 PM
Here's the link. It's from the Drudge Report (drudgereport.com): http://cnsnews.com/blog/gregory-gwyn-williams-jr/firearms-companies-restricting-sales-government-agencies-areas

eljefe
02-24-2013, 07:35 PM
Midway sells receivers, they may not have them in stock
right now. I have a FFL, and have bought items from them
in the past (receivers) that required a copy of my license to buy.

Most LE agencies buy their ammo from police supply wholesalers
that are only able to sell to LE agencies. The pricing does not
include the 11% tax that the rest of us pay.

As a licensee, I have the right to choose my customers. I have
been told numerous times (by ATF) that if I don't want to sell a customer
for any reason, it is my choice.