PDA

View Full Version : Where does your PD get it's ammo?

dakotashooter2
02-16-2013, 05:44 PM
I know that ours gets all their ammo from a couple different private dealers but with even the dealers not being able to get ammo where are the police deparments going to get theirs?

Phoenix
02-16-2013, 05:51 PM
Most departments have plenty, Alot are just cutting back on range time to conserve. Most I know have 10s of thousands of rounds, so unless everyone goes hog wild at the range they have little to worry about. Considering most small towns have a discharge incident less than once per month of a few rounds. I think alot more discharges happen at the clearing barrel than on the streets.

To answer the original question. Depends on the chief but the depts I have dealt with, Wherever it is in stock and on sale. Don't forget most distributors are giving prefferencial treatment for LEOs so I doubt its much of an issue unless they arn't trying very hard.

Recluse
02-18-2013, 04:32 AM
Having an ammo shortage for the suburban and majority of north Texas LE agencies would be a GOOD thing.

Come to think of it, having an ammo shortage for MOST of today's stormtrooper military wannabe LE agencies would be a spectacular thing. Only thing better would be a shortage of speed-detection radars and red-light cameras.

:coffee:

41 mag fan
02-18-2013, 08:42 AM
It would be nice those suppliers would only supply to those dept's that declare they would not enforce anymore federal gun laws in their districts or precints.

VintageRifle
02-18-2013, 09:18 AM
Was in one of my lgs the other day. If I heard correctly, they buy a year in advance.

Kraschenbirn
02-18-2013, 09:42 AM
Last week, local TV reporter interviewed both reps from both city and county depts. Both stated that they have adequate stocks of "on-duty" ammunition but admitted that they're having trouble obtaining "training/practice" ammunition and may have to "curtail range time."

Odd part is, neither department has it's own dedicated range; both do all their live-fire on the University of Illinois' Police Training Institute range where they have to work around and between the University's regularly scheduled classes.

Bill

cheese1566
02-18-2013, 10:52 AM
Most smaller agencies have limited budgets just like those of us working for a living. Ammo is purchased on a yearly basis because of budgeting and typically only a years supply is bought.

Anyways, to answer the question: direct from CorBon and Black Hills Ammo. Sometimes UltraMax.

Adam10mm
02-18-2013, 12:50 PM
Smaller agencies buy local. Larger agencies and state agencies buy on a bid format with state registered vendors.

DCM
02-18-2013, 06:45 PM
To the best of my knowledge my local PD still gets their ammo from the local dealer who also re-manufactures their practice ammo.
I was pleasantly surprised to learn that a few years back when they stopped by while I was there.
I have not been there in a while so it may be different, not sure.

Foxcatcher
02-18-2013, 07:37 PM
Smaller agencies buy local. Larger agencies and state agencies buy on a bid format with state registered vendors.

This is the closest answer I have seen so far. I have been with my deportent in some form for 13 years. As a former SWAT officer we had to shoot so many rounds of each weapon.

We had to do the ordering for the department. We bought from a local shop when we could and even at gun shows if we had to.

My current Sheriff used to deal in guns. He has openly stated the he will not enforce any laws that strip guns from law abiding citizens.

Now, on to darker matters. Have I signed up for a site that has a negative outlook for law enforcement?? I hope not.

Don

xacex
02-18-2013, 07:47 PM
Welcome to the forum Foxcatcher. No, there are several former law enforcement here, and unless you are a storm-trooper everyone here is pretty respectful of LEO. There are some of us who do not like what is going on in America right now, but that is a topic for another part of this board. Everyone is watching everyone right now, and being former law enforcement you may get a few looks until we get to know you, and your position on some pressing matters.

missionary5155
02-18-2013, 08:22 PM
Howdy Foxcatcher and welcome !
You have signed in to a place that I beleive is going to be one of your best freinds as long as the Constitution of the United States of America and the Bill of Rights is your guide to law enforcement. Every LEO I come in contact with up in ILLinois knows where I live and that they are welcome to stop by for whatever reason at any hour of the day.
I will be your best friend if you need one as long as we can walk together in Freedom.
So there is my policy towards any and all Americans. If you ever need someone to watch your back I will happily do so.
When up north last time I had the occassion to be at a local shop shortly after a Rep. from the ILL State Police wanted to place an order for about $80,000 worth of ammo. Fortunately the owner was leary and later found out the ILL SP were at least 6 months behind paying bills.
Mike in Peru

Down South
02-18-2013, 10:13 PM
I read somewhere about a month ago that some law enforcement agencies were having to cut back on practice due to the ammo shortage.

Down South
02-18-2013, 10:16 PM
This is the closest answer I have seen so far. I have been with my deportent in some form for 13 years. As a former SWAT officer we had to shoot so many rounds of each weapon.

We had to do the ordering for the department. We bought from a local shop when we could and even at gun shows if we had to.

My current Sheriff used to deal in guns. He has openly stated the he will not enforce any laws that strip guns from law abiding citizens.

Now, on to darker matters. Have I signed up for a site that has a negative outlook for law enforcement?? I hope not.

Don
Lots of current and retired LEO's here.....

Adam10mm
02-19-2013, 01:23 AM

I used to reload for every local agency in the three local counties and was an authorized source for the state police. The state police here in MI buy through the state vendor bidding system. Each post has to request their need throughout the year and if it's available, they get sent ammo from the warehouse. If they can't send the post the ammo they requested, the post commander can only purchase ammunition from approved MSP vendors, like me.

Don
Far from it, Sir. A lot of members here have worn uniforms and badges (though I haven't). You're in good company. I will warn you. This place is addicting.

Recluse
02-19-2013, 01:44 AM
\

Don

A good number of us are former LE ranging from reserve volunteer deputies to career federal lawmen. Virtually all of us former lawmen are dismayed at what our once proud former vocation has evolved into--and there are a number of reasons the profession has degraded to the point that it has, and thus, ignited a gargantuan mistrust of LE by the American general public.

At FLETC, there used to be an instructor who taught constitutional law who always stressed that "historically, cops have been their own worst enemies" and it didn't even take three months on the job to figure out just how true that statement was.

In my family, all the men folk did a tour in the military and then a tour in law enforcement. Some stayed in the military for twenty or more years, some stayed in LE for many years (currently have two cousins who've done more than 25 years, one is a Texas Ranger and the other recently retired from Fort Worth PD and his son is now in his third year with the FWPD) but most of us did our obligatory tour in the service, then put a few years in toting a badge and then moved on.

I despise the Code of Silence that exists in law enforcement and I despise bad cops who feel and act as though they are above the law and justify their actions with the lame old "the public doesn't understand what we go through."

The problem is that just as the nation has been irreparably divided, so has law enforcement. We have a good number of active duty LEOs here and I'd walk barefooted through broken glass to help them or their families out in a time of need. Virtually ALL of here would--ex-cops or not.

The discussions and generalities you may read from time to time center on the bad cops, the bad element--and the good cops here openly and freely admit as well as acknowledge the challenges that today's institution of law enforcement is experiencing.

It very much sounds like you're working for a sound sheriff who takes his Oath to heart as well as his duty to the people in the county he serves. We need more of that and less of the scumbag types that are making news such as the Chicago PD chief and that numbnuts in California who is spouting that all guns are offensive by nature.

:coffee:

AricTheRed
02-19-2013, 01:54 AM
In the area where I live, if some of the regulations that are being thrown around by state and federal politicians are enacted, and enforced, the local LEO's are going to start getting their ammo from the citizens. However it will be in used condition.

Foxcatcher
02-19-2013, 03:45 AM
In the area where I live, if some of the regulations that are being thrown around by state and federal politicians are enacted, and enforced, the local LEO's are going to start getting their ammo from the citizens. However it will be in used condition.

Amen!!! I have no desire to go into a lawful gun owner's house to collect his previously legal firearms. Our Sheriff is very conservative as am I. I am getting more and more disgusted with some of the young cops our academy is turning out. Some of these guys are going to get hurt or cost their municipality a very large sum of money.

Now back to the OP. We have about 3,000 rounds of pistol and rifle on hand before a shoot. We have to purchase more just before most of the time. No large stock piles for my dept.

Don

xacex
02-19-2013, 03:57 AM
Interesting that your dept. Only has that much on hand at a time. I could see that if it was only two of you, but that wont cut it during these longer shortages. Good luck with getting an appropriate amount for your shoots. I keep that much on-hand here at the ranch for the family, and components for much more, but my insurance man is well aware of it. We always rotate it throughout the year, but there is no rotation of stock going on now. Loaded rounds are rotated, but components are not being replaced. But, I am still much more fortunate than some of those around me. CastBoolits has been an integral part of that.

Lonegun1894
02-19-2013, 12:27 PM
At my agency, which is a very small one, we buy our own when and where we can. Also, we have very little on hand as a department. We have 5 officers total, with 4 of us being reserves, and our only department owned weapon is a Stevens 67 12ga pump. We are issued a shirt, and a hand-me down family car that we have slowly converted into a patrol vehicle that we leave at the PD because we only have one so we all have to share it, and the same story with our one department owned taser, which is easy because we only ever have one on duty at any one time. We each supply and carry whatever weapon we personally own, and provide the ammunition and everything else we need out of our pockets. With the one exception of the Chief, we do not get paid, and even his pay is more like a token than anything else, and we all work other full time jobs to make ends meet. All except one are military vets, and take our Oaths seriosly, as does the non-vet. We have also all said that we will not enforce any unconstitutional laws, and will keep our Oaths. The public knows this, and although we have a criminal element as does everywhere else, we have the support of the majority of the community because we do things the old honorable way, as opposed to the horror stories everyone sometimes hears about the bad apples. I do have to admit, we did have one bad apple, and got rid of him within a few hours of him showing his true colors, so yes, we hold each other accountable and to a higher standard, and not a "code of silence" of any sort. Due to where we work, I believe that this is important, not only for our safety and effectiveness, but for the sake of keeping the trust the community has in us. Depending on which agency on our county has a unit on duty, should we need backup, that same backup will be 15 minutes to over an hour away, and several of the citizens have offered to back us up should it be needed, which we all appreciate, but hope to never need. As for confiscating weapons and ammunition, we get frequent questions about that, and I for one have gifted ammunition that I dont have weapons for ( I get the occcasional box of odd stuff here and there in trades) to our local citizens if I know they have a gun they can use it in. Think I'll be going door to door confiscating any guns or ammo regardless of who orders it?

Jim Flinchbaugh
02-19-2013, 12:35 PM
I have a friend who is a deputy on the sheriffs dept a few counties over.
They have a fleet of Dillon machines. Load their own practice ammo.
I think they buy ammo for on duty use though.

dakotashooter2
02-19-2013, 01:42 PM
None of us REALLY want to see our LEOs short of ammo, but feel it WOULD make a statement to the politicians that control them and the public, if it did happen..

In my community I suspect most of the officers have a personal stash that exceeds what the acency carries on hand, so they do have a backup of sorts. I alsoo know an HP officer who gets more ammo from the acency than he can shoot each month so he has a stockpile of his own.

10 ga
02-19-2013, 02:41 PM
Early on (70s and 80s) I spent 10+ years carrying a badge, gun, and summons book. Eventually I got on the bad side of the sgt. for our area when I wouldn't commit perjury to convict a career violator, even said what he was asking me to do was perjury right in front of the federal prosecutor during case review and discussion. Well I got a torpedo was out of there PDQ and don't trust many LEOs even now. I have seen too many of them lie under oath. Many of the local officers in the Sheriff office and VaSP are good but all too many of the officers in other state agencies and federal agents are not to be trusted. 10 ga

Foxcatcher
02-19-2013, 03:10 PM
I too, have more ammo than my department at any one time. How much I won't say. I don't have enough to win a war..........but I could get a good start.

As far as bad officers, we used to police our own. If you had a laps of integrity you were given a chance to make it right. If you didn't you were gone.

Now, things have changed. The prosecutor just won't file your charges if you have lost your integrity. This puts that officer in jeopardy for civil liability . It also puts the public in harms way of a wreckless officer. I don't agree with it at all. We only have one officer in our county like this.

I trust the integrity of all the officers on my department.

Don