PDA

View Full Version : .223 brass

Charlie Two Tracks
02-16-2013, 01:27 PM
Out at a local range, I find some .223 brass at times. I have about 50 pieces at the moment. I was wondering if the brass can have any dings on it and still be usable. I've got some .45 brass but I know what to look for on it. I want to save some up and then see if I can trade for some .357 brass.

340six
02-16-2013, 01:31 PM
My Mini 14 used to ding almost every case. They are fine.
Most of the small dings come out in sizeing and you would never know they were there.
My 2 AR's do not do it but may every now and then.
Never had it be a problem. Even new USGI surplus had dings before fired

Love Life
02-16-2013, 05:38 PM
Dings are fine. If sizing doesn't remove them, then firing will.

NSP64
02-17-2013, 04:11 PM
It might cause dangerous pressure if you load them on the upper limits. I load all mine in the 2800 fps range so dings dont worry me.

km101
02-17-2013, 10:00 PM
Most of the range brass that I find in .223 has dings in it. I have not found them to be a problem. If they are small, the come out in sizing. If they are too large to size out, they will come out when fired. Just make sure that the brass in not cracked at the bottom of the ding.

gbrown
02-17-2013, 11:18 PM
As long as the brass is sound, by that, I mean the necks are capable of being resized, no cracks or splits, and there are no pressure marks on the primer, I use them. Sometimes, when the necks were somewhat flattened, I have used a nail punch and a hammer to work them out (extreme gentleness here). Especially if they appear to be military 1X fired. Dents will be fire formed out. I have a pretty good amount that I have recycled in this manner.

P.K.
02-18-2013, 07:10 AM
As long as the brass is sound, by that, I mean the necks are capable of being resized, no cracks or splits, and there are no pressure marks on the primer, I use them. Sometimes, when the necks were somewhat flattened, I have used a nail punch and a hammer to work them out (extreme gentleness here). Especially if they appear to be military 1X fired. Dents will be fire formed out. I have a pretty good amount that I have recycled in this manner.

+1! I had a thread in here somewhere on "Save your Pickups!" on what I did with mine. YMMV. IMO since all this started I hold onto it all, even the odd South Korean stuff I found(.223). I may not load it all but someone may need it.

Boerrancher
02-18-2013, 08:03 AM
I have become a great deal more careful about how I treat my brass these days, and I also save a piece of brass I find that is reloadable or can be made that way. I may not have a need for it but I am sure that some day I will find someone that will.

Best wishes,

Joe

41 mag fan
02-18-2013, 08:19 AM
If it's dinged it's fine...it's when it's got a crease in it, I'd throw it in the scrap bucket.

Foxcatcher
02-18-2013, 08:15 PM
Mini 14 brass is always the worst!!! Everyone I have had has been hard on brass. Either a good ding right at the shoulder or 2 equal length gouge marks from the shoulder to about half way down the case.

I pick up almost all brass I find. If it can be worked over it stays if it is junk it gets recycled. As far as .223 brass......if your local LEO practice on a public range, be there when there done. We shoot about 200 rnds per officer and with 15 or so officers. THATS A LOT OF BRASS!!

Don

nouseforaname1246
02-21-2013, 12:51 AM
I separate all of the random dinged up .223 range brass from brass that I've fired from my ar-15 (ive got mine tuned so it doesn't ding it up). All of that dinged brass gets loaded with low velocity plinking loads.(just enough to cycle) That pops out any dings. then they go in with the rest of my 223 brass.