PDA

View Full Version : Ringing?

flyingstick
07-28-2007, 03:20 PM
Not the door, but the chamber. I've read a few threads on chamber ringing and would like to know, "What it is" and it's causes. I recently sent my new Taurus 24/7 Pro in .45 back to the factory for some warranty work so I broke out my No.1 Mk 3 Enfield and went to the range. The fired brass has a ring around the base about 1/4" from the rim and actually blew one completely into. 26 grns of R7 with 185 gr. Lee RN.:confused:

44man
07-28-2007, 03:40 PM
That doesn't sound like the ringing caused by using the wrong filler or wad. That sounds like brass that has been loaded too much and full length sized every time. The brass gets thin just above the web. You can check cases for it by taking a straightened out paper clip with a bend on the end. Pull it out of a case and see if you feel a groove just above the web. It might be time for new brass!

flyingstick
07-28-2007, 03:51 PM
Thanks 44man, You are exactly right! (again):-D I just found this article which shows what my Cases are doing.
http://p102.ezboard.com/fparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforumsfrm49.showMes sage?topicID=7075.topic

shooter93
07-28-2007, 09:32 PM
Enfields are also very generous in chamber sizes. I don't full length size mine just neck size or a very slight shoulder bump.

leftiye
07-28-2007, 11:52 PM
Neck size 'em and shoot and reload them until they stick, then minimally full length size them, and do it again. This lets them headspace on the shoulder, and prevents stretching. Easy to do, just back off the sizing die until it doesn't bother the shoulder. More accurate too. THE solution to case head separations in belted manglums too!

trooperdan
07-29-2007, 11:00 AM
I'm a firm believer in the Lee collet die for .303's. The sizing is done by pressing fingers against the case neck against a mandrel and is much more gentle on your brass.