PDA

View Full Version : Magic Jack

R.M.
02-15-2013, 11:11 PM
I don't think I've seen any posts on here about Magic Jack before. My brother was asking me about it, and I had to tell him that I've not heard anything about it, good or bad, other than the TV ads.
Does anybody here got any experience with it?

WILCO
02-15-2013, 11:15 PM
I've known folks who use it, they like it.

Here's some links:

http://www.dslreports.com/comments/2985

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/cell_phones/magicjack.html

jmort
02-15-2013, 11:24 PM
Use it love it. I can't believe everyone is not using it if they have a high speed internet connection. You can fax as well. Once you buy device, it costs about $3.00 per month for unlimited everything. If you are self-employed, you need to have a home phone to write off cell phones so it pays for itself right there.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
02-15-2013, 11:29 PM
I tried it when i had 768k dsl , i had the same problem with it i did with any other voice over ip technology , i would hear the school bus go by at 3:05 and by 3:30 the audio was getting choppy then dead

I work in telecommunications , not an isolated issue IP telephony shares to much with the public internet to be as solid as a good old fashion copper pair to the central office where the call still goes as IP data but on private guaranteed bandwidth network.

so if it is so he can talk to friends and relatives all over the country on the cheap have at it , if it is a replacement for land line 911 service , i wouldn't trust it , it is only as good as your computer and internet connection

there is no free lunch in this world and no such thing as magic in making a phone work good lines power components , and maintenance make for a phone that works when nothing else is.

so if that sounds a lot like the answer I would be give if i asked about a cheap scope or rifle there are good deals , honest deals , bargains,things priced well , but cheap usually is cheap

jmort
02-15-2013, 11:38 PM
"I tried it when i had 768k dsl"

This bears no relationship to what is available now. I tired a computer back in the 80's but decided to try a computer again. They got better. DSL blows compared to current high speed internet. I only get 4 mbps. I recommend thread readers to completely discount this "opinion."

GREENCOUNTYPETE
02-16-2013, 12:36 AM
your sort of correct , however 768k is still all much of semi rural Midwest can get, i tried it just 2 years ago it's not like i tried it in the 80s
I upgraded to 7meg dsl not long afer i tried it it would likely work much better now

but an actual ip phone connection should take 32k or less so 768 should be far more than what is needed.

a full bandwidth traditional phone line is 64k

you also can not expect to send or receive faxes on majic jack or nearly any IP phone connection short of dedicated bandwidth ip connections , I know this is not important to most but i still have a lot of fax users

I have a cub scout family about 2 miles out of town they use majic jack as their primary phone , they get about 1 in 4 of my calls

either way it is still only as good as your computer and internet connection.

so if your computer is down it is down , internet is down it is down , power is out it is down

if it isn't your primary phone line or you don't place a high value on the phone line then go for it.

just saying there is no majic in it it is just IP phone service thru a connection that majic jack isn't paying for or maintaining , there are other IP phone options available like skype , majic jack just makes it easy with a interface that allows you to plug your phone in as the speaker and microphone.

it's all about were your place you value , if you are not concerned about the wife needing to boot up the computer at 2 am to call the ambulance while your having a heart attack , because you have great cell service and keep the cell charged and bed side , then you already have your primary phone connection , but if it's your only phone you should be aware of it's limitations.

yes it works but it has limitations traditional phone service does not have as long as you know the limitations and are ok with them , then you can be an informed consumer.

jmort
02-16-2013, 12:43 AM
It does not run off the "computer" - it plugs directly into the router - "Magic Jack Plus." It works real good. It is as dependable as your internet connection. If you have cell service you should be safe enough between the two.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
02-16-2013, 12:52 AM
I didn't try majic jack plus i tried majic jack and it did run off the computer.

the family that i call with majic jack also has theirs on the computer they must not have upgraded to majic jack plus yet.

and yes if you also have cell service you should be safe enough

jmort
02-16-2013, 12:56 AM
I have no financial stake in Magic Jack even though I do pimp for them for free. Magic Jack Plus is a fantastic value.

scarry scarney
02-16-2013, 01:02 AM
There are two magic jacks. The old one plugs into a computer and uses the computer as the power source, and access port to the Internet. The new version comes with a wall adapter for power, and you plug the magic jack into you home Internet router. Both of them are dependent of the speed of your Internet connection speed. Several GI's carry them with them on their deployments. When you first register your magic jack, you pick a local US phone number. Then no matter where in the world you plug the magic jack in, it receives and places phone calls like it is a local hometown phone. But it as others have said, it's VOIP, so it's all up to your Internet speed. My last time I went overseas, I took one, and it worked real nice. In my eyes it's worth the money. $40 for the first year, and $20 for each year after. That's for the year, and not for a month!

MT Gianni
02-17-2013, 07:13 PM
My only reliable internet is dsl through the phone company.

tmax64
02-17-2013, 09:19 PM
I don't get cell phone reception where I live and have tested my computer speed as in the BOTTOM 5% (download speed of 350kbps) of the country so this doesn't sound like an option for me.

jmort
02-17-2013, 09:30 PM
I think it may work for you all. You need 128k up. Here is info

magicJack requires one of the following Internet connections:

Broadband
High-Speed Internet
Cable Internet
DSL
WiFi
Wireless
WiMax
A minimum bandwidth UPLOAD speed of 128 kb/s is required.

You may test your bandwidth speed at http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

NOTE: magicJack does not work over dial-up or satellite Internet.

http://magicjack.com/faq/

DCM
02-17-2013, 10:40 PM
We have very fast connection speeds and the Majic jack plus.
Faxes work fine and are MY only real reason to have a land line.
There is a $10/year charge they didn't tell us about when we signed up but it is still far cheaper than Vonage which was WAY cheaper than the ATT and other trash we tried.
I will never forget how ATT stuck it to us then said we would not have 911 if we dump them, I told them our cell phones work just fine thank you #^$%%#@&&$. LONG story, they screwed up and tried to blame us for their incompetence 2X! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

snuffy
02-18-2013, 12:45 PM
Does the MJ have caller ID? How about call waiting, storage of the last 10 calls, are the phones cordless, an answering machine??¿

A LOT of people don't have routers, or wi-fi. I just got a router so I could use amazon to download kindle books. I could run a laptop through it,,,---IF I ever get one!

My home/land line phone comes through Time Warner cable, along with internet, and TV. I pay 170 bucks/month, I'm quite happy with it. My cell is a trac phone, it stays in the car, only 3 family members have the number, and it's only on when I use it, which is seldom.

I always thought the MJ was a gimmick, wait, I STILL do!

jmort
02-18-2013, 01:03 PM
"Does the MJ have caller ID? How about call waiting, storage of the last 10 calls, are the phones cordless, an answering machine??¿"

Yes, and you are wrong on all counts. I'm glad you bent over and grabbed you ankles for the benefit of Time Warner. It is your money to waste. For me, internet $50.00 per month, Magic Jack around $3.00, or less per month, and Dish or Direct $60.00 per month for two rooms and decent package.
It has every feature including a 911 service. It will do anything your Time Warner phone service will do and more. You have to register your address for 911. I have not, but have cell back-up, and hopefully I can get a chance to say my address while the 911 operator asks me where it is I am being stabbed. Love those 911 operator questions. You just get the Magic Jack Plus, connect it to the internet and use any ordinary phone. I guess I'm the Magic Jack spokesperson.

StratsMan
02-18-2013, 01:59 PM
It's just another VoIP service... Personally, I use OOMA (ooma.com)... I just bought their box for a one-time price, then the basic service (in-country calls with Voice Mail) is free... I just pay the required taxes every month... You can upgrade to a Premium Service for more money, but I don't need that... I'm sure there are other VoIP services doing the same thing...

DCP
02-18-2013, 05:43 PM
Well I had MJ, it worked OK, then I couldn't call a city 10 miles away, it was always busy. I could called NV NY FL but couldn't call 10 miles away.
I called MJ and they were working on it.
What a joy trying to get someone that cared.

I would never use it for my main line. When the power goes out my land line works with old phones (hard wired only)

I no longer use MJ

scottiemom
02-18-2013, 07:55 PM
please correct me if I am wrong, but you still need internet for the Magic Jack to work. So if the power goes out, which means no internet access, you have no phone service? Not willing to take the chance if that is the case. My landline works when the power goes out.

snuffy
02-18-2013, 07:55 PM
So I have to leave my router on 24/7 to get a phone call? Not gonna happen, it gets shut down when I'm not using the computer. Somebody COULD be using my internet while it's on.

As for getting rapped by time warner, there's no way I can get satellite. Other than cutting down a real nice ash tree. That's not gonna happen either. Besides, they don't carry a couple of state channels, mainly fox sports Wisconsin. I won't give up watching the Brewers.

Other hard wired cable companies don't offer all the services I want/need. If they did, I doubt I would save much.