PDA

View Full Version : Bangor newspaper's request for gun data causes uproar

CWME
02-15-2013, 09:57 PM
http://www.pressherald.com/news/Bangor-newspaper-seeks-names-of-concealed-carry-permit-holders.html

Sent my Police Chief a letter this morning with my thoughts on this. We are getting assaulted from all angles. I now get to worry about my house being broken into or my identity being stolen. Wonderful world we are in where I follow the laws of the land and become a victim. And to think they want more of our information! Scary times.

P.S. Still waiting on a response from the Police Chief. If I don't get anything back I am going to call to make an appointment. They need to know how we feel about this!

WILCO
02-15-2013, 11:21 PM
P.S. Still waiting on a response from the Police Chief. If I don't get anything back I am going to call to make an appointment. They need to know how we feel about this!

Good luck with that. Nobody in government cares how you feel. Tread lightly when dealing with goons. You're better off contacting an Attorney.

P.K.
02-16-2013, 06:29 AM
I left in '91, never really looked back. I was just thinking that I missed growing up there. In this case hind-sight clouds the realities of where I grew up has become. We used to joke that "Taxachussets" was South and screwing with the tourists by telling them "You can't get there from heeya." (Insert Tim Sample voice over) was a great way to pass the time. It's prolly illegal now for kids to sell strawberries by the quart on the side of RR1 now w/o a business licence and a medical plan. Not to mention swimming in a resivour is verbotten and by fishing with earth worms is a violation of the "Clean Water Act."

It was bad enough that you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a birkenstock wearin', granola munchin 60's wannabe that was born in the 70's now it must be like walkin' on corn flakes so as not to offend anybody. As for elected officials and their toadies, Maine was always a little "left" but mostly centrist at least where I grew up. I can only imagine what it's like now.

gray wolf
02-16-2013, 08:20 AM
IMHO I think your depiction of Maine is border line sucky, I live in Western Maine and find very little of my freedoms being walked on. Compared to most other places I don't think it's near as bad as you make it out to be. It's a CCW issue state, open carry, And you just about do what you want within reason. The Dems in all the states are blowing there horns about gun control to make there Lib friends think they are doing something, that something will go no place. It's one of the last nice, mostly free places to live. Southern Maine has always sucked as far as the *******s go. We just keep them down in the southern half.
Actually your description Pissses me off a little, not enough to get upset though, but a little.

rbertalotto
02-16-2013, 08:34 AM
Like many states, a good rural state will have one very large population city. In this case, Portland, where liberals move to and the drugs, welfare, crime etc grows all out of proportion to the rest of the state. Colorado has Denver, Georgia has Atlanta, NY has NYC, etc.

A couple years ago they nearly voted out hunting in Colorado and up in Maine they voted out certain types of Bear hunting and nearly banned it all together.

I love Maine. I have access to cabins in Aurora, Chesuncook and Bowerbank. I've hunted Maine for 42 years. But Maine has absolutely changed from the way it was years ago with regard to politics and freedoms...............So sad.

Down here in Massachusetts, we are just one big Portland!

P.K.
02-16-2013, 09:36 AM
IMHO I think your depiction of Maine is border line sucky, I live in Western Maine and find very little of my freedoms being walked on. Compared to most other places I don't think it's near as bad as you make it out to be.
First of all, sorry my opinion got your dander up. As you said, you live in Western Maine, Jackman maybe? Most of that area of the state may still be the place I remember. But the areas that I grew up in, for a fact are not the same. Right before I left legislation was passed that local government had emminent domain over shoreline on property that had been family owned for decades!

It's a CCW issue state, open carry, And you just about do what you want within reason. The Dems in all the states are blowing there horns about gun control to make there Lib friends think they are doing something, that something will go no place. It's one of the last nice, mostly free places to live. Southern Maine has always sucked as far as the *******s go. We just keep them down in the southern half.

It's all well and good about the CCW issue, that is fine and keep up the fight. I don't recall arguing the point or bringing it up. As far as "keeping them in the lower portion of the state", good luck with that. I saw it in Rockport, Bar Harbor and Kennebunkport. Doesn't matter what values you hold, the Kewl kids with the $$$ are more popular especially when they are celebrities. As soon as a few yahoo's make the Bow River trip, you'll be up to your eyeballs with business paroles from down south wanting their piece of "wilderness."

Actually your description Pissses me off a little, not enough to get upset though, but a little.

This is actually a good thing. Do something about it, get involved, run for office. If this is one former Maniac's view, I'm sure there are others.;-)

montana_charlie
02-16-2013, 01:05 PM
I saw this story yesterday on a 'news' site.
Many of the comments following the article were similar to those here.

It may be smart to consider what the Bangor paper said about it:
The Bangor Daily News said it was gathering the information as part of a reporting project on domestic violence and drug abuse.
"The BDN has no intention to release this information publicly," said Anthony Ronzio, the newspaper's director of news and new media, in a prepared statement.

I can believe a request went in to gather 'numbers' for a documentary project.
But, gun owners once burned are twice shy.

Therefore, this could have been defused if the paper had announced it's intention to request the information while ALSO assuring the readership that it was NOT for public dissemination ... and assurance that the data would be PROTECTED from acquisition by any who would use it for a political agenda.

At this point, I am not willing to hold a grudge against the Bangor Daily News.

CM

gray wolf
02-16-2013, 05:18 PM
#1 I get involved in every way I can.

At this point, I am not willing to hold a grudge against the Bangor Daily News.

CM

CM this may be why they chose to change thee position.
Maine: Your Immediate Assistance is Required to Protect the Privacy of CHP Holders

Due to recent Freedom of Access Act (FOAA) requests by the Bangor Daily News and other unspecified outlets to obtain personal information—including the names, addresses and birthdates—of all Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP) holders in Maine, Governor Paul LePage (R) has put forward emergency legislation to grant immediate protection for all CHP holders. This emergency legislation is vital to ensure the protection and safety of law-abiding gun owners

Phoenix
02-16-2013, 05:32 PM
I remember Maine from 30+ years ago. It has definately changed like most places. Even Montana is little like it was 30 years ago. As far as Maine goes. One name tells alot. Olympia Snowe.

No interest in P'ing anyone off. Its is just a fact the world is changing around us all. NOONE is free or left out of the change it just moves slower some places than others.

Here in Montana, we have Max Baucus, Enuff said

dakotashooter2
02-16-2013, 05:38 PM
What our government agency was told by our legal staff is that we have an obligation to provide access to all our information BUT we have no obligation to provide printed copies or allow printed copies to leave the office. If they want a copy of the information they can copy it by hand............................

Phoenix
02-16-2013, 05:46 PM
What our government agency was told by our legal staff is that we have an obligation to provide access to all our information BUT we have no obligation to provide printed copies or allow printed copies to leave the office. If they want a copy of the information they can copy it by hand............................

Honestly If it was me I would refuse the request. Doesn't matter, as the sheriff he is in control of the records. so a judge says he has to, appeal it. It could take years to move through the system. The solicitor is getting paid to do nothing most of the time anyway. Hopefully by then the paper doesn't care or have need for the information. I believe it is the sheriffs duty to protect the citizens from this kind of thing. regardless of whether the legislature didn't think to do the right thing and restrict that information. Last time I checked a newspaper cant get a list of all drivers license holders personal info, or registered vehicle personal info. Then why is this being released. If it was me I would refuse to my last day in office. If I was elected I doubt anyone would vote me out after that. My only issue might be if a judge threw me in jail for contempt. Oh well that is what standing by your ideals is about.

Goatwhiskers
02-16-2013, 05:56 PM
Serving time for that might not be so bad. A Parish (county) sheriff next to the parish I live in was re-elected while serving time in his own jail for malfeasance. GW

montana_charlie
02-16-2013, 10:05 PM
#1 I get involved in every way I can.
When Journal News (in New York) published the personal information of all handgun permit holders in two counties ...

I contacted all of their advertisers who have national footprint to express my opinion that they should not support that entity.

I emailed the leaders of the news agency to protest their action.

I paid money to have 'unsavory material' sent (anonymously) to certain members of the organization.

In what way(s) did you get involved?

CM this may be why they chose to change thee position.
I presume you are referring to the Bangor newspaper.
What makes you think it has changed?

What was their position before this story broke?

CM

TXGunNut
02-16-2013, 10:27 PM
I can believe a request went in to gather 'numbers' for a documentary project.
But, gun owners once burned are twice shy.-Montana Charlie

Sounds pretty thin to me. They could say anything then do what they want once they get what they want, no protection once the info is released.

9.3X62AL
02-16-2013, 10:30 PM
Newsies need to keep their noses OUT of the private business of the citizens they so poorly serve. A significant number of CCW pertmit holders are past victims of domestic violence, and idiot disclosures like those in New York expose those victims to possible re-victimization. I know I sure as hell don't want my address put out for my former clients to get hold of. There are more and better subjects for the news busybodies to pursue, I'm sure.

BD
02-17-2013, 12:41 PM
Big Uproar! Then the BDN rescinded their request. Hopefully LePage's legislation will get passed preventing anything like what happened in NY. The population of Maine has always been 90% located in the five counties including and surrounding Portland. As that's not gonna change any time soon, we'll just have to continue to deal with it. As near as I can see not very much has changed in Greenville, (in that red county in the middle of the blue state), since the early 80's when I moved up here. The biggest change is the decline of the lumber industry, along with the decline of the tourism base locally. The year round population has been between 1,000 and 2,000 for the last 100 years, and seems likely to remain at those levels.
BD

gray wolf
02-17-2013, 01:48 PM
When Journal News (in New York) published the personal information of all handgun permit holders in two counties ...

I contacted all of their advertisers who have national footprint to express my opinion that they should not support that entity.

I emailed the leaders of the news agency to protest their action.

I paid money to have 'unsavory material' sent (anonymously) to certain members of the organization.

WOW CM, You really got in the fight, so glad you got them up to speed,
So tell me ? how'd that all work out for you ?

Are we having a contest ? I don't really give a rat's Pa toot what you do Sir, or who you do it to. Go Pisss someone else off, it don't work here.
Not this time, not the last time, not anytime.
Go have a drink and chill out, hope that didn't bother you.

Doc Highwall
02-17-2013, 02:04 PM
How about a list of all the tax delinquent people, drunk drivers, domestic abusers, felons, and any others you want to add to the list. I have more but I think I have gotten my point across.

mainiac
02-17-2013, 08:51 PM
IMHO I think your depiction of Maine is border line sucky, I live in Western Maine and find very little of my freedoms being walked on. Compared to most other places I don't think it's near as bad as you make it out to be. It's a CCW issue state, open carry, And you just about do what you want within reason. The Dems in all the states are blowing there horns about gun control to make there Lib friends think they are doing something, that something will go no place. It's one of the last nice, mostly free places to live. Southern Maine has always sucked as far as the *******s go. We just keep them down in the southern half.

Agree sir,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,up here north of bangor,life is still simple,relaxed. If mass would take portland and augusta,,,,,,we would have it made!

s1120
02-18-2013, 11:30 AM
Agree sir,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,up here north of bangor,life is still simple,relaxed. If mass would take portland and augusta,,,,,,we would have it made!

Us NYers feel the same about NY city!!!

montana_charlie
02-18-2013, 01:39 PM
Are we having a contest ?
Nope. More of a comparison was what I had in mind.

I said that there was not yet enough information for me to hold a grudge against the Bangor newspaper in question.
In a post directed at me in response to that, you said, "#1 I get involved in every way I can."
I was wondering what that involvement might be, other than the occasional salty comment on this forum.

Picking a similar issue from the recent past, I initiated a 'show me yours and I'll show you mine' comparison ... one in which I went first just in case you're shy.

So, nothing ... ?
( ... actually, that's a rehtorical question - I won't be checking back to see if you answered ... )

CWME
02-18-2013, 02:02 PM

Easy now, Not everyone down here near Portland has their head in their six. What would the Welfare State of Maine north of Bangor do without the sugar daddy York and Cumberland counties?

Not sure why our information wasn't already protected. Hope that passes quickly so I don't have to worry about it anymore. It would be one thing if the news had to agree to confidentiality etc etc and was liable for illigal disemination of the supplied information but that is not the case. our information once released is gone with no control on who can get it. I just hope that they don't give my SSN as well as the rest of the info.

mainiac
02-18-2013, 07:17 PM
Easy now, Not everyone down here near Portland has their head in their six. What would the Welfare State of Maine north of Bangor do without the sugar daddy York and Cumberland counties?

Not sure why our information wasn't already protected. Hope that passes quickly so I don't have to worry about it anymore. It would be one thing if the news had to agree to confidentiality etc etc and was liable for illigal disemination of the supplied information but that is not the case. our information once released is gone with no control on who can get it. I just hope that they don't give my SSN as well as the rest of the info.

Good point,,,guess i should have kept my comments to mine-self.................the wellfare up here is unreal,,thats cause the good paying jobs are all gone.Now if ya want to make big bucks,ya almost surely have to move toward york county,,,

Dorf
02-19-2013, 09:13 AM
If you want BIG $$$ you better keep going WAY past York county. Maine, north of Skowheagan, is still pretty nice IF you are retired and drawing a comfortable pension (and don't have any serious medical requirements). But it will never again be what it was 50 or 60 years ago. Stan (ex-pat Maniac)

CWME
02-19-2013, 11:13 AM
Good point,,,guess i should have kept my comments to mine-self.................the wellfare up here is unreal,,thats cause the good paying jobs are all gone.Now if ya want to make big bucks,ya almost surely have to move toward york county,,,

No need to keep your comments to yourself, we are having a conversation. Your points are valid, jobs are drying up. Only need to take a drive around to see that first hand. Really sad to see the state of some of the towns on my way to Camp near Jackman/Rockwood.