PDA

View Full Version : "If it fits, it ships" LMAO!

Triggernosis
02-15-2013, 05:07 PM
So I took some wheel weights to the Post Office today to see how much it would cost to shipt them. The best deal is the medium Flat Rate box that will easily hold 50 lbs. of wheel weights. I'm probably going to have to wrap the box in Kevlar tape so it will stay together. And I'll be there's gonna be one p.o.'d mail carrier when I decide to send them.

Jim
02-15-2013, 05:14 PM
As long as your medium or large FRB does not exceed 70 pounds, according to THEIR scale, they are required to process and ship it. If it exceeds 70 pounds, the scale won't even register and they'll turn you around.

A tip: Tape the box up to low level bomb proof. Trust me, I know what I'm talkin' about.

OuchHot!
02-15-2013, 05:57 PM
My local PO has taken to refusing delivery of heavy boxes without explanation. Since they only hire 4' tall asian females there may be a connection. I had to return a disk sander to Grizzly and they would only pay if I shipped via USPS. It weighed 67# and took three of their finest to get it onto the cart.

runfiverun
02-15-2013, 08:33 PM
i got 24 boxes of ingots all in one day.
i live in a small town...
they at least let me use their hand truck to wheel them out to the truck.

use the stringed packing tape and reinforce the inside with more cardboard.
wrap the corners first then the whole box.

rbertalotto
02-15-2013, 09:14 PM
I receive 65 pound boxes of lead all the time from RotoMetals. They use the "If It Fits It Ships" boxes. My post "gal" can't lift it and come to the door to get me and I go to the truck and retrieve it. She thinks I'm buying gold bars!

DCM
02-15-2013, 09:25 PM
My mail lady is ready to drop some of my packages on my foot if she gets the chance.
I do try to meet her at the truck when I can.
They will definitely ship 67# of "metal". they do seem to take their time with the heavy boxes vs.the light ones though.

Big +1 on extra tape too.

uscra112
02-15-2013, 11:46 PM
Fortunately my Podunk Postmaster is also a shooter. But he's been known to hold a 65 lb package of lead at the P.O. for a day when he knows I'm likely to come in to ship something out, so the carrier doesn't have to lug it. Fair enough. We take care of each other here in Podunk.

First wrap the ingots in one of those Tyvek envelopes. Tape it 100% coverage with strapping tape. Then box it. Use wood to fill up any empty space in the box. Then tape the box 100% coverage with strapping tape.

dverna
02-15-2013, 11:59 PM
My PO will not deliver heavy packages.

I have to go to the PO and pick them up.

********!!!

But I do not complain because I know they would purposely damage the packages and screw me.

fcvan
02-16-2013, 02:00 AM
The other day I received a small flat rate with 16 pounds of WW ingots (in exchange for 1000 225-415 boolits) and the box was well taped so it held up. When I took the 225-415 boolits to the PO I also was shipping 1500 PB gas checks to a buddy. The PO guy grabbed the box of checks, shook it, and the threw it on the scale. Then he grabbed the box o' boolits expecting it to be as light as the first. The look on his face was priceless! "Lead?" He says. "Yup." The he says "well, if it fits it ships. The other day some guy got 5 medium boxes of lead and we sent the driver with a hand truck." He was a good sport.

Jumbopanda
02-16-2013, 02:57 AM
Some female postal workers either cannot physically carry 70lb or have an extremely hard time doing so. Even men of smaller stature or older age can have a rough time with these packages. I feel bad for them, but I need my bullets! :P

StrawHat
02-16-2013, 07:50 AM
I have told my PO that if get a box too heavy for their people to deliver to leave me a note telling me to come pick it up at the building. No big deal as the FR boxes save us money on shipping.

MBTcustom
02-16-2013, 08:07 AM
OK, Tape yes. More tape, yes. Tyvek envelopes, yes. (that is some amazingly strong stuff!).
But the most important part of making sure your package gets there in one piece is insurance and delivery confirmation.
Trust me, the difference in handling procedures is amazing!
Now, if you ever do lose a package that was insured and tracked, don't even bother trying to collect unless you were shipping something that was really really expensive. The "insurance" you are buying is the kind where the person throwing it on the truck sees all the extra fruit salad pasted on the box and takes extra care of it.

I did a deal with a feller up north where we were swapping lead (I don't remember what the deal was, maybe WW ingots for pure?) Anyway, he shipped his package to me, reinforced with plywood and taped like crazy. It arrived in two shipping crates busted to pieces (fortunately all the lead was there).
I made up another box and packed it in the same way, using his plywood and packing materials, exactly the same, except I insured it for $20 and added delivery confirmation (I like the DC because it's a bright green label that catches the drivers eye). I asked him to send me a picture of the box when it arrived. When it got to him, the corners were not even damaged!!! It looked like it had been handled with kid gloves the whole way!
So there you go.

dragon813gt
02-16-2013, 10:00 AM
This is what you get with 16#s of brass(that was bagged and packed so it wouldn't shift) in a MFRB.
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/parts4sale/965C1994-1D8A-4B52-B505-61A302EF2AFC-10038-0000068AEF4E9AE3.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/parts4sale/152976D3-9B4C-42BA-B163-F590C4EE8118-10038-0000068AFE1C045B.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/parts4sale/03287267-3B07-4A78-96F6-21C448E1F629-10038-0000068B18093B4D.jpg

My short lived experiment with the USPS is over. Say all you want but they're horrible. I've shipped close to $100,000 in car parts through UPS since 2000 so I'm not a casual shipper. I have never had to tape every seam with UPS. That adds to the packaging costs quickly. The USPS boxes are not even close to being able to hold 70#s. This is one of the main problems. Their tracking system is horrible and the insurance claim process yields no money back.

I know plenty of people here like to use the USPS. But after this incident I'm done. The red stamp says "Delivered Without Contents." How is this acceptable? There is a reason very few companies use the USPS. They are horrible. The condition that some of the lead shipments I've received have been in is unacceptable as well. Use the USPS at your own risk.

I almost forgot about the notices I get, when lead is shipped to me, saying I have to come pick it up at the PO. Only takes three formal complaints every time to get it delivered to my house. And the boxes always come over days instead of all at once. Just one more unacceptable practice from a shipping company.

clintsfolly
02-16-2013, 10:09 AM
Shrink wrap tape the ingot to a plywood cut to just fit box then fill the rest of the box with hard foam, cardboard, any lite uncrushable filler then tape the outside like your going to throw it off the roof. cover the corners with 2 layers. Clint

Beagle333
02-16-2013, 10:11 AM
I have told my PO that if get a box too heavy for their people to deliver to leave me a note telling me to come pick it up at the building. No big deal as the FR boxes save us money on shipping.

Same here, and my mailgirl even phones me and leaves a msg that I have a heavy box at the PO.
Fortunately, I work near there, so it's no problem to swing by and pick it up. But do tape it up ridiculously with strapping tape (not the clear mylar stuff they provide, that will shear easily), because quite often I don't get a box, but a seriously molested "bag made of tape" containing ingots and shreds of the original cardboard box. (Imagine a bowling ball bag without a handle.) ;) They will do all they can to be able to deliver it with the infamous "RECEIVED WITHOUT CONTENTS" stamp. It's easier for them to deliver if they "lose" the contents. (Shrink wrap also helps a lot if you can do that!)

500MAG
02-16-2013, 10:17 AM
My PO gal won't even bring them in the truck. She just automatically leaves a pick up at office slip and that PO's me! Would say something but then my mail may suddenly disappear.

Tatume
02-16-2013, 10:18 AM
When I get deliveries of lead, typically 65+ pounds in medium flat rate boxes, the delivery person comes to my door and asks where I want it. I then open the shop door, and she wheels it out there on a hand truck and puts it in the shop where I can get to it. She is very nice, smiles, and appears sincere about wanting to be helpful. I have nothing by praise for the delivery people at USPS.

Raven_Darkcloud
02-16-2013, 10:38 AM
It comes down to your local pw and how they feel about their job.

oldfart1956
02-16-2013, 11:46 AM
Fellers if you're just shipping out boolits in a small flat rate box (several hundred fit in there) try this.....vacume pack the boolits. I cut a vac-pac bag to fit in the sfrb and then jiggle em' around so they're all laying flat...then vacume pack it and seal. I can get 4 layers of .38's in there or 3 layers of .44/45's ! Then cut a few pieces of cardboard to take up any slack around the vac-packed boolits. Since they can't move (vac-packed) they don't flop&jiggle around and break out. I've shipped out a bunch'a boxes and never had one damaged. Great for shipping sample packs to yer buds that want to try a boolit desighn before they buy a mold. Still gotta tape it good. Audie...the Oldfart..

Wayne Smith
02-16-2013, 01:24 PM
OK, Tape yes. More tape, yes. Tyvek envelopes, yes. (that is some amazingly strong stuff!).
But the most important part of making sure your package gets there in one piece is insurance and delivery confirmation.
Trust me, the difference in handling procedures is amazing!
Now, if you ever do lose a package that was insured and tracked, don't even bother trying to collect unless you were shipping something that was really really expensive. The "insurance" you are buying is the kind where the person throwing it on the truck sees all the extra fruit salad pasted on the box and takes extra care of it.

I did a deal with a feller up north where we were swapping lead (I don't remember what the deal was, maybe WW ingots for pure?) Anyway, he shipped his package to me, reinforced with plywood and taped like crazy. It arrived in two shipping crates busted to pieces (fortunately all the lead was there).
I made up another box and packed it in the same way, using his plywood and packing materials, exactly the same, except I insured it for $20 and added delivery confirmation (I like the DC because it's a bright green label that catches the drivers eye). I asked him to send me a picture of the box when it arrived. When it got to him, the corners were not even damaged!!! It looked like it had been handled with kid gloves the whole way!
So there you go.

Sorry, Tim, but a sample of two (actually one) isn't statistically significant. You two have to do that at least 30 more times to even come close!

Rangefinder
02-16-2013, 01:38 PM
Every once in a while I sell ingots. It never fails--when I'm shopping ingots, the gal behind the counter is the young, petite girl that I always cringe over when I walk in carrying 65+ pounds in a MFRB. She always cringes too, and I help get it on the scale, walk it around the counter, and put it on her cart. The heaviest I've shipped was 69lbs 13oz. and if I sneezed in the other room, the change in air pressure would have put it over. But it got where it was suppose to. The trick I found for packing was this--bundle ingots into smaller batches with duct tape, then stack them with filler all the way arount, then wrap the whole FRB in strapping tape. The main trick is to make sure the space inside the box is full so things don't shift or rattle around. The less movement inside, the better the outside can contain it.

rexherring
02-16-2013, 02:09 PM
I got a box of ingots once and half were missing with the box open on one end. The jerk didn't even use tape on the box and refused to refund any monies. So I did leave a bad review on him on e-bay.

jonas302
02-16-2013, 02:29 PM
I have got many well packed boxes of lead from the members here never had a problem but they were all very carefully thought out and packed
Wood is not the answer wood is hard it breaks and pokes though cardboard tyvec bags and lots of cardboard packing so nothing can move will get it done I wouldn't ship those wheelweights loose to much shifting to pokey and they can all spill out if it get a hole in it

Not everything is the post offices fault people have to take the time and responsibilty to make sure its safe to get there

popper
02-16-2013, 03:19 PM
I only found 2 small FRBs at the local urban PO this week. Guy had to look around and ask co-workers. They did have the small $2.19 + postage boxes on the rack. Marketing again.

MBTcustom
02-16-2013, 03:42 PM
Sorry, Tim, but a sample of two (actually one) isn't statistically significant. You two have to do that at least 30 more times to even come close!

Ahem, I have sent 50+ packages of solder all over the US. It only took losing $100 worth of solder once before I discovered this little trick.
Before I started putting insurance and DC on the packages, every now and then someone would mention that the package showed up in pieces. After I started the new system, I wanted to know if it was worth the extra money (which does add up after a while) so, for a while, I asked every recipient how the package did in the mail. The difference was impressive.
But hey, I was just giving a helpful suggestion. You can build your own statistics $100 at a time and see how they square with mine.
:kidding:

bearcove
02-16-2013, 03:42 PM
We've gone over this before. Their contract (workers) says they will deliver! Call the post master and complain. You paid for delivery.

bearcove
02-16-2013, 03:45 PM
Delivery confirmation is free if you print your own labels. FRboxes cost less too. DC makes them scan box insurance is a waste. JMO

I'll Make Mine
02-16-2013, 03:55 PM
Seriously, guys -- is this some kind of game? People getting annoyed and even angry because the USPS wants to protect its delivery people from possible injury handling small, heavy packages, and ascribing malice when inadequately reinforced packages arrive with the contents (lead ingots!!) lost in transit because the box isn't actually designed to hold 60-70 pounds? Seriously, unless the content is a single block of lead that perfectly fits the box (which, I think, would exceed the 70# limit), all the above recommendations for packaging (shrink wrap, Tyvek, wood reinforcement, and massive taping) are a bare minimum for a box of lead to arrive intact -- and don't get angry when an agency that hires a cross section of Americans and immigrants of all ages has delivery folks in your area who can't handle multiple small, very heavy boxes for delivery.

Honestly, if I ordered 60# of lead to my door, I'd rather the USPS give me a note to pick up; if they put a box of ingots that heavy in my street side mailbox, it'd probably break right off the post and fall into the drainage ditch, and if they brought it to the door, I'd have to pick it up off the carport slab; I'd much rather get it off a counter so I can carry it to my car and never have to stoop with it.

BAGTIC
02-16-2013, 03:59 PM
Some get satisfaction from USPS some don't. I wonder which ones live in Red states vs. Blue states.

Elkins45
02-16-2013, 05:47 PM
I only found 2 small FRBs at the local urban PO this week. Guy had to look around and ask co-workers. They did have the small $2.19 + postage boxes on the rack. Marketing again.

If you create an online account with them you can order bundles of the boxes online for free, and they are delivered for free as well. They offer a much wider variety of boxes than you are likely to find in the PO itself.

uscra112
02-16-2013, 06:04 PM
As far as shipping stuff is concerned. USPS is my only option. UPS and FedEx are both an hour or more away, and that's $20 worth of gas these days. And the PO is likely to shut down my nearest office this summer. leaving me with a 20 minute drive to the next nearest one. Shipping will be done once a week when that starts.

opos
02-16-2013, 06:11 PM
A few months ago I shipped 4 antique cast iron wheels (another hobby...antique engine restoration). I packed 2 wheels in each of 2 medium flat rate boxes and shipped them both the same time, same place, etc....one got there right away but the box was really busted up badly...no problem as it's hard to hurt cast iron....the second box never made it..they found a scrap of the box in a dead letter center with the label info on it and the rest missing (including the wheels)..gone forever...I asked about things here at the local post office and was told that regardless of what they say in the ads...you take your chances with heavy things shipped in the flat rate boxes and was told the letter carriers will do everything in their power to not have to handle them (all strictly off the record). I had 1000 lead bullets delivered not too long ago (about 35# or so) in one box and the letter carrier left a pick up notice in the box...your mileage may vary!

bearcove
02-16-2013, 06:29 PM
Seriously, guys -- is this some kind of game? People getting annoyed and even angry because the USPS wants to protect its delivery people from possible injury handling small, heavy packages, and ascribing malice when inadequately reinforced packages arrive with the contents (lead ingots!!) lost in transit because the box isn't actually designed to hold 60-70 pounds? Seriously, unless the content is a single block of lead that perfectly fits the box (which, I think, would exceed the 70# limit), all the above recommendations for packaging (shrink wrap, Tyvek, wood reinforcement, and massive taping) are a bare minimum for a box of lead to arrive intact -- and don't get angry when an agency that hires a cross section of Americans and immigrants of all ages has delivery folks in your area who can't handle multiple small, very heavy boxes for delivery.

Honestly, if I ordered 60# of lead to my door, I'd rather the USPS give me a note to pick up; if they put a box of ingots that heavy in my street side mailbox, it'd probably break right off the post and fall into the drainage ditch, and if they brought it to the door, I'd have to pick it up off the carport slab; I'd much rather get it off a counter so I can carry it to my car and never have to stoop with it.

NO I don't see anger. You paid for a service.

These are not minimum wage employees. The get top dollar in their trade to make it happen. It is in their contract. Deliver it or get someone who can. PERIOD DOT as my Texas wife used to say.

dragon813gt
02-16-2013, 07:51 PM
NO I don't see anger. You paid for a service.

These are not minimum wage employees. The get top dollar in their trade to make it happen. It is in their contract. Deliver it or get someone who can. PERIOD DOT as my Texas wife used to say.

This is exactly me feeling. I did not pay to have to leave work early to go to the PO to pick up a package. I paid to have it delivered to my doorstep while I'm at work making money.

They're the one's that made the 70# rule. The boxes should be of correct construction to hold this weight. Ever notice the labels on well made corrugated boxes stating their weight limits? If your employees can't handle the weight you have two options. Hire employees who can or change the weight limit. A construction worker will not last long if he can't pick up a 3/4" sheet of plywood because that's part of his job requirements. The PO workers should be no different.

The FRB boxes are for casual shippers. If UPS ever started offering them with free pickup the PO would lose almost all of their business in that area.

I don't like having to file formal complaints to have packages delivered to my house. I don't like having to pay for insurance when I know the claim process will yield no money back to me. These have been my experiences and I'm just sharing so others are aware of the bad side.

Phoenix
02-16-2013, 08:07 PM
The max weight of lead you can fit in a Medium Flat rate Box #1 (the square one) is 210#s If you cast an ingot that is 11" x 8 1/2" x 5 1/2" it will fit perfectly inside. Good luck getting anyone at the PO to take it though. There was a guy on ebay last year that was selling Medium Flat rate boxes "full" of lead. He wanted $100 per medium flat rate box. I asked how many pounds he had in it as that was expensive for the normal amount sold in those boxes. He said he poured single ingots the size of the internal dimensions. and they weighted 210 pounds each. I said sure I will take on if he can actually ship it. I paid via paypal. a week later he emailed me and said the post office would not take it. He couldn't even get it on the counter at the PO. I told hiom to just refund me and nevermind. He refused and ended up shipping it in three 70lb boxes for no extra charge. Needless to say that was the last time he did that. He was selling them as ingots after that.

Kind of comical. I have gotten at least 20 boxes all over 50lbs in the last year. The UPS store loves me for it. NOT...

HangFireW8
02-16-2013, 08:08 PM
Some get satisfaction from USPS some don't. I wonder which ones live in Red states vs. Blue states.

I live in a red county of a blue state, and love my local PO. I always ship w/ DC but rarely Insurance. YMMV.

Treetop
02-16-2013, 08:51 PM
I'm sure glad I didn't read this "horror story" thread, before I sent my two Ruger .45 cylinders to the Cylindersmith! It was my first time to ship anything using the flat rate containers and I seem to have done everything wrong!

I guess the good Lord really does take care of fools because they got to him and were returned to me safely with nice .4525" throats.

Lots of good information on this thread for us occasional shippers. I'm going to subscribe so I can refer back to this thread before shipping again.

alfloyd
02-16-2013, 09:19 PM
I agree with goodsteel.

I have sold lead a few times here on cast boolits.
At first I did not insure them, and 3 out of 10 did not make to the buyer.
They all had delivery confirmation on them.
One was lost in Texas, one just vanished and one was delivered empty in
a very nice all togeather box.

I replaced all three boxes.

After that I have always insured the boxes and they have all found their way
to the buyer intact and full.
I also wrap the box with reinforced shipping tape in all directions and put "HEAVY"
in red letters on all sides of the box, it helps a lot.

My post office delivery women always put my large packages on my porch, no
matter what the weight.

I mostly ship lead in the small flat rate box. I can get 22 lbs in each box, and
there is no space for the ingots to move arround.
That makes shipping 66 lbs cost the same as one large flat rate box, and is
easier to handle.

Lafaun

prs
02-16-2013, 10:59 PM
The only thing that seperates my office from the post office is the CSX railroad tracks. Small town where we all know each other pretty much. When I have full weight anyting goes lead boxes comming in, I alert them. They let me park at their loading dock and this makes it easy on us all. Now, if ya really want to get them hopping, order honey bees or live quail.

prs

jonk
02-17-2013, 01:15 AM
I don't ship lead that often, but when I do, here's my 2 cents.

Get 2 boxes, slice one open, and take about 1/16" off the length and height. Then load your lead into the filleted box. Fill up any extra space with something up to the task- wood, gravel, whatever, but no peanuts or air bubble wrap. Shut it, glue the parts back together, tape the bejeezus out of it, then slide that into the flat rate box. Nice snug fit, no shifting. Then tape up that box well also, making sure they can see it is a flat rate box.

gandydancer
02-17-2013, 01:49 AM
some people you don't want to piss off.Postal workers. a waitress. or a restaurant chef/cook. they own you. or :dung_hits_fan:

Raven_Darkcloud
02-17-2013, 07:53 AM
I don't always ship lead, but when I do I use Dos tapies! :drinks:

rockrat
02-17-2013, 12:47 PM
I shipped lead shot one time. 22lbs of the stuff. 10lbs made it there, in a box comprised of box pieces and alot of tape. Had it insured/DC. Took awhile, but PO did pay off on the insurance.

I imagine the 12lbs of shot that didn't make it there, sure made a mess somewhere.

ROGER4314
02-17-2013, 02:16 PM
I've received some very heavy packages in the last year including a lot of lead ingots and lead shot. My rural box won't hold a very heavy box well, so the contract hauler brings them to the door. I have a 4 wheel cart on my front porch that I use to haul groceries from the car. The little guy knows that he's welcome to use the cart anytime so he wheels it out to his car, puts the box into the cart and wheels it onto the porch. The heaviest box came a while back and he rang my bell and asked me for help which I was glad to do.

These things work out pretty well if you try to work together.

Flash

Wolfer
02-17-2013, 04:09 PM
Since I live almost 1/2 mile from my mail box my carrier puts packages behind a rock fence post a few yards up the driveway.
My expierence has been exactly like goodsteels. DC and ins and it will probably get there in one piece.
If not I don't really expect it to show up. Twice I have mailed letters to myself and neither have showed up.
I've never shipped or received any lead.

Rusty Goose
02-19-2013, 06:53 PM
When I shipped 65# of Linotype a couple of weeks ago I used one of their med frb's modded to fit in another. Double boxed, double taped. I offered the lady at the counter an apology for the weight, she shrugged it off, hefted the box like a pro and said it was all part of the job.

Rusty

etiwandablues
02-19-2013, 10:05 PM
I don't always ship lead, but when I do I use Dos tapies! :drinks:

stay thirsty darkcloud. best laugh of the day
:drinks: