PDA

View Full Version : anyone moly coat cast bullets?

koger
02-15-2013, 01:17 PM
I thought I would post this, been molying a few bullets, with great results. I used the spray moly, put the bullets upright on a lazy susan, rotated and sprayed till I got a good coat, let sit overnight. I used mostly pistol bullets, but loaded a few 6.5 gas checked swedes, 140 lyman mold. I actually just checked, sized and sprayed, did not use any lube on 2- 5 shot groups, of the 140, so far so good!

Lizard333
02-15-2013, 01:42 PM
What brand of spray moly are you using. I've never used it on my cast but have some commercial cast bullets that are moly coated. Never had a problem.

waksupi
02-15-2013, 07:52 PM
When I tried it, after the moly completely coated the bore, accuracy was terrible. Made things too slick for cast boolits. Goop hand cleaner got it out of my barrels, and I will never put it back in any of my firearms.

stubshaft
02-15-2013, 08:00 PM
Years ago I tried the Molykote from Brownells. It did not give me any better accuracy or protection from leading than using the regular lube or the Lee snot.

KYCaster
02-15-2013, 09:20 PM
This keeps cropping up every 8 or 10 years. Seems like every new generation of reloaders "discovers" the benefits of Moly. It usually takes a couple of years for the enthusiasm to die down.

After you find a product and application system that actually prevents leading and maintains accuracy, then you have to find a way to clean the Moly out of your severely fouled barrel. It's easier to clean out lead.

The only real benefit I've found is it reduces lube build up in your seating die.

Jerry

Edit to add.......The best I've found is Sandstrom 35A. A search in the lube section should turn up a link.

Fairly cheap.....~ $35.00/qt. .....covers 50,000+ boolits.

Tumble on and oven cure. Prevents leading as well as any other lube I've tried. Leaves your fingers black and leaves a persistent fouling in the barrel.

Oh....the solvent in it affects me much worse than acetone or MEK....MUCH worse.