PDA

View Full Version : paper patching 9mm to 375

mongoosesnipe
02-15-2013, 02:05 AM
I was playing around with paper patching, just picked up the paper jacket and this is my first go at it. They look decent and loaded ok haven't shot them yet that will be a project for daylight tomorrow 3 wraps with printer paper took 147gr 9mm boolit up to 378 and into the jdj they go what do you guys think
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff473/mongoosesnipe/IMAG1288_zps6a2e2bc0.jpg

I'll Make Mine
02-15-2013, 08:13 AM
I suspect you'll find the patch doesn't shed cleanly -- which is bad for accuracy -- unless your bore diameter is smaller than I'd expect from a .375. Usually (for smokeless rounds) it's reported to work best to have the bullet sized at bore plus .001 to .002, then patch to groove plus .002. If the core is too small, the rifling won't cut the patch and it'll stay wrapped on the bullet for a variable distance instead of coming off instantly within a few feet. There's also the possibility of the core being non-concentric in the bore if the lead doesn't contact the lands.

longbow
02-15-2013, 11:36 AM
Its worth a try as what have you got to lose but a bit of time and a few loads that may not work?

You may find what I'll Make Mine says about accuracy issues if the patch isn't cut so it shreds well and consistently. On that note, it looks like you wrapped a little far up the ogive too.

Also, if you wrapped a lubed boolit you may also run into patch shedding problems as the lube is sticky. Best to wrap a clean boolit unlubed.

Ross Seyfried wrote an article years ago on paper patching jacketed bullets for odd calibers and he used 3 wraps (and maybe more) to get to diameter so it may work but in his case the core was "hard" being jacketed so the paper likely got compressed very hard and cut at the lands where you are patching lead.

Still, it may work and is worth a try.

Longbow

mongoosesnipe
02-15-2013, 03:51 PM
based on the puff of confetti i would guess the paper jacket came off right out of the muzzle they seemed to fly good at least at 25 yards further testing will be required but i will use unlubed bullets in the future this was more of a spure of the moment experiment

9.3X62AL
02-16-2013, 02:17 AM
FWIW......I've wrapped .359" Lyman #358430 (195 RN) to .368" using two wraps of 9# airmail paper, and had decent results to 100 yards with them. Bore is .352", grooves are .366". "Jackets" got a dunking in LLA, dried, and got loaded.