PDA

View Full Version : hey guys

4waycain
02-14-2013, 06:35 PM
Hello everyone , im new to this site and
im in need of some help ........im wanting to load a 45apc with a 255 grain swc and i have clays powder any help with a load ?

Phoenix
02-14-2013, 06:52 PM
255 in 45 acp. Not only Have i never seen that. Not one of my 7 manuals have a load for that heavy of a boolit. The other thing is Clays is way too fast a powder for that heavy a boolit. I would think you would have serious issues maintaining the proper OAL with a 255gr boolit but I am not sure clays has a safe load for that weight boolit.

Update I just checked there is nothing listed over 230gr on hodgdon's website for the 45 ACP.

Additional update. OK Lee does make a 45 mold that is 255 SWC. But they do not list it in their manual for 45 acp. I am guessing that boolit was designed for 45 colt or something else with a larger case capacity. I just checked lee does list that boolit for the 45 Colt but not with clays. Universal, not clays

John Boy
02-14-2013, 07:01 PM
i have clays powder any help with a load ? The best advice is visit the powder databases on the Internet and choose your powder accordingly

Phoenix
02-14-2013, 07:05 PM
Also, If you are new to this and don't have a reloading manual just stop right there and go buy one. Read it as many times as it takes to understand the safe procedures of reloading. Use only published loads. Even some of the most experienced reloaders wont attempt non published loads. You need a substantial understanding of reloading, powder behaviors, how to recognize pressure signs, etc, etc to even think about making you own loadings.

Do yourself and everyone around you a favor and dont try what you dont know. If you have questions feel free to ask, but we are not here to teach you the basics of reloading. The book, or even more than one is the most important resource to the beginner. I read 5 of them before i started. I still compare all 7 books when trying something new. Be safe

runfiverun
02-14-2013, 10:08 PM
there's data for doing this.
it's in the older manuals,and used unique powder.
velocity's were about 700 fps.
i know the data is not in any of the 15 manuals i have here in the front room though.

Bullwolf
02-15-2013, 03:06 AM
My older Speer #11 and #12 show some 45acp loads for a 260 grain Speer JHP using Bullseye, Herco, Red Dot, Green Dot, Unique, 231, 452AA, 473AA, SR4756, SR7625, 700X, and 800X.

The loads seem kind of on the warm side of things, and the data is somewhat dated. I get the feeling the loads were intended for use in revolvers.

MD smith shows some data online (also 260 grain JHP info) but also states the loads are intended for revolvers. (MD smith's data references Speer #12)
http://www.reloadammo.com/45loads.htm

There's a little data on Handloads.com - None showing the use of Clays however.
Boolit weights from 240,250,255 to 260grains though.
http://handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=45%20ACP&Source=&Type=Handgun

My more more trustworthy modern loading manuals don't have a starting point listed for Clays.

I think I might contact Hodgdon and ask what they recommended before diving in.
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
Hodgdon does not list anything over 230 grains with Clays (or any data higher than 230 grain for that matter at all) online.

I am not saying it is not doable. But I wouldn't recommend someone just getting started loading, learning how to load 45acp this way.

Others here with more experience loading heavy for caliber boolits in 45acp will likely chime in soon with more information, including both the Pros and Cons of doing so.

- Bullwolf

lwknight
02-15-2013, 05:02 PM
Heavy bullets and short powder column cases are usually not very good company.