PDA

View Full Version : Brand new here and just cast my first boolits today

longshot1154
02-14-2013, 06:07 PM
Greetings all,

Just started here. Had been lurking for a couple weeks and finally got some equipment together. I had gotten a free half five gallon pale of wheel weights and after sorting a bunch started making ingots. Cast iron dutch oven over a turkey fryer base, using a muffin tin as my ingot mold. I made some ingots the other day and then today my molds finally arrived. Went out to make more ingots and decided to try making some boolits. After a lot of trial and error, I was able to make 154 boolits. Lee 2 cavity .452 230 grain tumble lube mold. I dropped about 2 dozen messed up boolits till I finally figured out the right temp for the mold. After that, I was going right along for a while. Here are some pics.

I have a thermometer coming from NOE, hopefully it will get here fairly quickly and I can spend a day in the shed.

After picking my son up from school, I went to the tire shop and got an overflowing 5 gallon pail of wheel weights for $20.00. Just what I needed, another hobby.

Woody3
02-14-2013, 06:09 PM
Those look great!!! Keep up the good work. Welcome to the forum and to the addiction.

cbrick
02-14-2013, 06:18 PM
Welcome to CastBoolits longshot,

You really messed up now, absolutely no way to go back. You here after an addicted pourer of lead. Soon it will be more and more molds, then new guns because you have molds for guns you don't have and it gets worse from there. :mrgreen:

Boolits look good, that's a great start. It will be a great feeling when you get out and shoot your own.

Rick

10mmShooter
02-14-2013, 08:40 PM
looking good

runfiverun
02-14-2013, 09:55 PM
last chance to give up.
you make one more step and you'll be sucked in...
looks like you found the grey zone on that mold.

BACKTOSHOOTING
02-15-2013, 12:55 AM
I see 3 first here, The boolits look way better than my first atempt, Your first bucket for $20 is a great price and dont forget to offer up a 6pac or 2, And your first post, Welcome, and how dose the Blood transfution feel

Wayne Smith
02-15-2013, 10:04 AM
last chance to give up.
you make one more step and you'll be sucked in...
looks like you found the grey zone on that mold.

Nope, it's too late! He's already melted lead and made boolits. He's gone. Once he shoots them and shows his wife how much money he saved he will be a confirmed, supported member of our fraternity.

Longshot, everything you read here is true. My wife, or LOML, is the numbers and money person in our firm. She also works for the Department of Environmental Quality for the Commonwealth. She has supported my habit because of the savings.

Oh, and I just bought an 03-A3 for shooting cast!

longshot1154
02-15-2013, 11:22 AM
Thanks for all the replies. Been working on my wife for years telling her that if you have guns, you have money. She fell for it early on and I now have a pretty good collection going. My wife just shakes her head and walks away when I bring up a new hobby that I want to start. She's gotten into hunting after taking the hunters safety course with my son, now she goes hunting more than me.

captaint
02-15-2013, 12:30 PM
Welcome longshot - Your first boolits look way better than my first bunch did. Looks like you're gonna
be OK. So, you can forget about your other hobbies now. Those are going toget pushed aside
now that you're involved here. If you need a sponsor, let me know. I've gotten pretty good at
explaning these investments to the little woman. She "understands" now. OK, she just gave up.!!
enjoy Mike

ultramag
02-15-2013, 01:06 PM
That's a pretty good looking first batch to me. I did manage to make some useable boolits my first casting session, but I had to melt way more than a couple dozen to get there. [smilie=1:

Lizard333
02-15-2013, 01:47 PM
Great looking batch and welcome aboard. I know my boolits didn't look that nice on my first batch and I sure as heck wasn't posting pics of them.

Very good job. Let us know how they shoot.

Your in too deep to back out. Now you just have to convince your wide how much money your saving!!

Again, welcome aboard.

Jim Flinchbaugh
02-15-2013, 05:20 PM
I went to the tire shop and got an overflowing 5 gallon pail of wheel weights for $20.00. Just what I needed, another hobby.
Treat that tire shop like royalty, take him a pizza- 20$/bucket is a steal

Smitty's Retired
02-15-2013, 05:40 PM
Welcome Longshot, and congrats on some fine looking boolits. Yep, soon you will be lusting over the decisions of more molds and which designs to get. You need to stay on good terms with your wheel weight bennefactor. $20 is a great price for sure.

longshot1154
02-15-2013, 07:17 PM
He didn't want anything for the wheel weights and I had to force him to take $20.00. He said that he was more than happy with the money and was worried I was paying too much.

runfiverun
02-15-2013, 08:28 PM
i remember how mad i was the first time a tire shop wanted $5.00 for a bucket of ww's.
seriously? 5 DOLLARS.??
it's got lug nuts,cigarette butts, and chew in there, and look at all those stick on weights.