PDA

View Full Version : 2008 NEVADA CAST BULLET SHOOT 2008, Repeat, 2008

BruceB
07-27-2007, 10:52 PM
Folks;

Having at last found a printable 2008 calendar on the Internet, AND the time to painfully project my shift schedule all the way forward to the appropriate time of the year, I will now bite the bullet again, and say the following:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The 2008 edition of the NCBS will be held in Winnemucca on the weekend of MAY 31 - JUNE 1 - JUNE 2.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

This scheduling allows me to do the required stuff on days off, including the actual Shoot itself. This year, I had to use up 36 hours of vacation time (out of my allotted total of 160 hours for the year) and I'd prefer to avoid that situation next year if at all possible. Of course, my vacation time was paid, so it isn't all negative...being paid to shoot and socialize is NOT hard duty at all.

I spoke to my boss, and he says no changes to the shift schedule are contemplated at this time. There are only four of us in the whole mine (out of 350 or so) who work this schedule, and we all like it. Ergo, I have some confidence that what I plan now will work out next year. If not, that will be MY problem and won't affect the Shoot dates.

So, MAKE RESERVATIONS EARLY to avoid this year's horrendous clashes with all sorts of "special events"!!! Tomorrow would not be too soon, y'know....

I sure do hope we can avoid a repeat of this year's disasters. I know for certain that the changing dates forced some much-missed friends to cancel their attendance. Please, take the time soon to reserve your digs for that weekend.

The weather may also be a little more temperate earlier in the year, as well, although I will admit to being pleasantly surprised at how well we coped with the heat. SHADE was critical, so gazebo/barbecue tents, tarps etc are a good item of equipment to bring along. Such shelters need to be well-anchored, as the afternoon zephyrs were up in the 20 mph-plus range. I'll lay on a bunch of sandbags for anchor points....Heaven knows there's plenty of sand available on site!!

Looking forward to it already.

NVcurmudgeon
07-27-2007, 11:54 PM
Bruce, a whole hour and I'm the first to report in? Some of these seasoned shooters are slow!

cobbmtmac
07-28-2007, 12:24 AM
:Fire: Bruce, great news on the dates for NCBS 2008. Our Hotel told me while there this year that they would not accept resevation until Jan 1, 2008. However, I will call them again tomorrow to see if they will make an exception. I will be making resv. for the family including my son Darren, who by the way shot a sub moa. @ 50yds. with my newly acquired Marlin 444T today. The best I could do was 1.2"
Anyway we are looking forward to being there. I will be sending out framed photos to the 2007 winners as soon as I find the frame sale I know is out there.

:coffee:

Buckshot
07-28-2007, 01:25 AM
..............The 2008 date is only 10 months away ................ eek! Make reservations and do some casting and reloading :-)

............Buckshot

9.3X62AL
07-28-2007, 03:21 AM
Got it.

rugerman1
07-28-2007, 07:20 AM
What's a cast BULLET ? ;)

MT Gianni
07-28-2007, 01:43 PM
What's a cast BULLET ? ;)

I believe the shoot pre-dates the term Boolit. Gianni

felix
07-28-2007, 01:55 PM
Booooooo-lit was first used to my knowledge by Pat, my wife, back in the 70's. Shuz was the first to continue this heritage on this board, at that time the board was called Shooters, operated by another person/corp/enterprise that went belly-up. ... felix

AnthonyB
07-28-2007, 10:10 PM
I WILL make the shoot when I retire and am looking for ways to make it in 2008. Maybe I can set up a Beagle/Felix/Sundog caravan.... Tony

Buckshot
07-30-2007, 11:42 PM
I WILL make the shoot when I retire and am looking for ways to make it in 2008. Maybe I can set up a Beagle/Felix/Sundog caravan.... Tony

...............You wouldn't catch me dead in a carload like that.

..............Buckshot

Urny
08-02-2007, 12:00 AM
Um, my 2008 calendar shows May 31, June 1 and 2 as Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Did those Bluegrass Festival Calendar people get it wrong, or are we changing the days? My plans are to be there.

BruceB
08-02-2007, 01:24 AM
Urny;

I printed my 2008 calendar right off the Internet, so no real guarantees as to its accuracy are given. It did seem to agree with the rotations of my shift schedule, though, so I sorta took it for granted.

However, you can take THIS to the bank:

The Shoot will take place on the first weekend of June.

We sure are looking forward (already!) to seeing a much bigger group of old and new friends at this edition of the Shoot. Since it appears we've found a friendly site, and a much better site, at that, it would be a shame not to put it to intensive use.

Ten months isn't much time, as Buckshot mentioned. I draw some comfort from that, as I'm eagerly awaiting November '08 to do another Alberta hunt with a couple of the more-infamous denizens of this place. Again, we are three of the OLDEST "excited teenagers" you can imagine. I'm seriously thinking about doing this one personally as a cast-bullet-only expedition. Gotta try those cast softpoints on game, don'tcha know?

On the other side of the coin, "Once you're over the hill, you accelerate..."

Marlin Junky
08-03-2007, 04:50 PM
Booooooo-lit was first used to my knowledge by Pat, my wife, back in the 70's. Shuz was the first to continue this heritage on this board, at that time the board was called Shooters, operated by another person/corp/enterprise that went belly-up. ... felix

A friend and I shot Bow-(as in bow and arrow)-lets from our .445 SuperMags back in the late '80's/early '90's. :)

MJ

redneckdan
10-10-2007, 11:34 AM
hmm....I think the honda sabre might be back together enough for a long trip round 'bouts that time.:Fire: Saddle and tank bags kinda limit me to pistols only though.

Scrounger
10-10-2007, 12:44 PM
hmm....I think the honda sabre might be back together enough for a long trip round 'bouts that time.:Fire: Saddle and tank bags kinda limit me to pistols only though.

I'm pretty sure you can ship rifles to yourself at a local address there and ship them back after it's over. If it were me, I'd call the ATF Agent in Reno and ask him. Right or wrong, his opinion is the one that would count there.

PatMarlin
10-17-2007, 11:23 AM
I'm gonna drop everything and will be there this yearn' FO SHO!!!

Onliest problem is if my wife goes, we've got to take Snoopy too. You guys ever take your dog?

NVcurmudgeon
10-17-2007, 05:29 PM
Pat, I'll be delighted to meet Snoopy. Uh, you too. Tim and LorrieB usually bring a big motor home so that their Golden Retrievers have a safe place while the shooting is going on. Glad to see you back. I have another success story about PMWFCFF to post.

BruceB
10-17-2007, 09:42 PM
This seems like a good time for an update.

There were high hopes for obtaining legal possession of the Piquet family's sandpit area for a fulltime County range. It now appears that those hopes will not come to reality.

Mr. Piquet recently dug a bullet out of his house wall, and he's understandably reluctant to risk a repeat of that occurrence. His home is almost a mile from where we were shooting, and at 90 degrees from our line of fire. He has apparently withdrawn from discussions about future range plans for his land.

As to the 2008 Nevada CB Shoot, I have yet to speak with him. I have high hopes that we will be able to obtain permission to shoot there again, particularly since Mr. Piquet seemed to enjoy our company and shooting our assorted guns....enough enjoyment for him to stick around for quite awhile. I'd bet heavy coin that the bullet in his house was NOT a cast bullet from our group!

Since the ground was broken vis-a-vis the use of the pit for our Shoot last year, and since the Shoot went well and was visited by the landowner with such apparent pleasure, my approach for his permission this year will be much easier. I'll make that approach shortly after the New Year, I think, which will allow some scratching-around time if Tibo refuses.

All we lacked this year was MORE SHOOTERS. The space is virtually unlimited, although the maximum downrange distance is about 200 yards. We could have a firing line 200 yards long, if we want (or more)!

The first weekend in June is the appointed date, and having it nailed-down already should make it much easier for obtaining reservations, etc....if we DO IT EARLY!!!! May-June is a VERY busy time in this little burg, so act accordingly....and SOON, if you plan to attend.

Dang, I'm getting excited about it already,

cobbmtmac
10-18-2007, 01:35 PM
Hello to Bruce B. and all!

The excitment is also building here! I have no doubt that you will work this out with Mr. Piquet or at the very least come up with a great place. :Fire:

I just fininished making resevations for 4 rooms for Thursday night, May 28th through Sunday night, Jun 1st, 2008. So if all is well, Mr. & Mrs. Onceabull, Mom, Marlene & I and our Son Darren will be there.

Thanks for your hard work, Past & Future. :drinks:

onceabull
10-18-2007, 04:18 PM
With the assurance coming from Cobbmtmac,that Mrs O. will have a covered,heated,& cooled place to rest her head, I can move forwardly into the annual process of selecting those moulds,and firearms deemed most likely to represent irresistible temptation to one or more of the attendees. Also satisfying that URGE to show off the new "toys"...Bruce, high hopes that you and Mr.Tibo Piquet can reach the agreement needed but, if not,confident that you will find something/somewhere that is workable. :-D Onceabull :-D

Buckshot
10-24-2007, 01:56 AM
...............Guess me an 9.3x62Al orta be moving on room reservations.

..............Buckshot

9.3X62AL
10-24-2007, 12:40 PM
Yeah, good idea Rick. How was jury duty yesterday?

NVcurmudgeon
10-30-2007, 12:18 AM
...............Guess me an 9.3x62Al orta be moving on room reservations.

..............Buckshot

Good idea, I reserved mine today. Santa Fe, downstairs, confirmation number, "non-esmoking" so I know it was the nice boss lady I talked to.

PatMarlin
10-30-2007, 06:28 AM
Maybe we'll bring the cabover camper. I've got to fixup the shower in it.

9.3X62AL
10-31-2007, 02:07 PM
News Flash--for those with reservations at the Santa Fe Inn........

Just got off the phone with the motel staff, and they advised that the property was being sold. They were happy to take a reservation, but could not at this time guarantee its status in late May 2008--due to this pending ownership change. I was advised to check back after Nov. 15, at which time the ownership situation will have stabilized.

Those with Santa Fe reservations might want to confirm same at mid-month. Winnemucca businesses are a surprise every time I call there, for sure.

ammohead
11-04-2007, 12:45 AM
Hello all,

It was a beautiful day today so I hopped on my Road Star and motored out to Winnemucca to return a mould that I would have sworn I borrowed from BruceB. Seeing that it was Nov I wanted to get one more nice long ride out of the bike before winter rears it's ugly head. Bruce and Karen were home and we had a nice gab. I got to see Bruce's boolit recovery device and can't wait to see the results from his softpoint boolit experiments. As it turns out Bruce had never seen the mould before, so all I accomplished was a pleasant visit and a nice ride. Well I came home with the mould from NCBS 2007 and I am sure that someone will claim it next June.

I made reservations at the Sante Fe while I was there and had lunch at the Flying Pig.

ammohead

onceabull
11-04-2007, 01:19 AM
Ammohead: Given that my 4c Lyman combo mould( two c.Loverin design & 2 c.311440)was in BruceB's hands just long enough for you to talk it loose from him,he can be excused for not recognizing it !!!.. Should that not be the mould in ?, have you had the time/inclination to heat mine up in production yet. ?? Any Elk hunting reports I should hear ?? [smilie=1: Onceabull

9.3X62AL
11-04-2007, 09:25 PM
Ammohead--

They took your reservations? Must have been screwing with a Californian over the phone last week. A straight answer from the Santa Fe has been a tough matter for me.

Char-Gar
11-09-2007, 05:22 PM
Well those are the exact date I am schedule to retire and give my "Swan Song" speech, so I won't be there for 2008... but you boys had better get ready, 2009 I will be there!

Buckshot
11-23-2007, 03:44 AM
...........Only about 7.5 months to go boys n girls :-)

..............Buckshot

NVWalt
11-23-2007, 11:40 AM
Seven months to go and I find I am in the same leaky boat I was in last year. Being retired you would think I would have all the time in the world to work up loads and fine tune everything. NOT. My girlfriend gave me a couple scale cannons, .50 cal. Navy and Field pieces to bring along with the ol golfball launcher for this years upcomming event. Should be fun. Also got a new 45-120 Pedersoli to play with if I can find the time to get moulds, dies and that really cheap,lol, brass that goes with it. Either way my girlfriend and I should be there to enjoy all the great people that were there last year and meet some new faces I am sure.
Bruce, I sure hope you don't run into any glitches on a range for the upcomming 2008 event. Good shooting to all of you..Walt

NVcurmudgeon
11-23-2007, 02:15 PM
Looking forward to seeing you and your girlfriend at the '08 shoot. Looks like you will be bringing lots of new toys!

cobbmtmac
11-25-2007, 02:11 PM
NVWalt,
We are also looking forward to seeing you again and meeting your girl friend at NCBS 2008! You are certainly a Great Plus to our event. :drinks: see you there.

NVWalt
11-27-2007, 06:37 PM
Just had to tell ya all this. Took my little cannons and loaded them up with a pile of fff and took a couple 44 cast boolits and put a wrap of paper towel around them and stuffed them
down the barrels of the little rascals. Got some fire crackers and took the fuses out and went out back, set up the cannons and proceded to fire away out into the giant fields out back. What a hoot. Will have to take them over to my range and put up a target at 25 and 50 yards and see if I can get them to hit the paper. May have to use a LOT of paper. Just as much fun as that golfball mortar is to play with. Had the neighbor come over and wanted to run a bunch of lead through it but I decided discretion was in order. LOL. Just had to tell ya all.. Good shooting Walt

NVcurmudgeon
11-27-2007, 10:17 PM
I phoned this evening to reconfirm my reservation. The new management is honoring myreservation made by the previous ownership. I was also able to straighten out my error in requesting reservations for May31 and June 1-2. That was incorrect. Friday is May 30, Saturday is May 31, and Sunday is June 1. The new management made the appropriate change in my reservation, so all is well.

ammohead
11-27-2007, 11:51 PM
Ammohead: Given that my 4c Lyman combo mould( two c.Loverin design & 2 c.311440)was in BruceB's hands just long enough for you to talk it loose from him,he can be excused for not recognizing it !!!.. Should that not be the mould in ?, have you had the time/inclination to heat mine up in production yet. ?? Any Elk hunting reports I should hear ?? [smilie=1: Onceabull

Bill,

Yes I recall now. I tried your mould just a little bit but found it a bit heavy for my liking. I guess I need a mould guide for my furnace. I recently won a ebay auction for a 2 cavity 311466 to use instead. I will bring your mould next june.

No elk this year, no tags period.

ammohead

onceabull
11-29-2007, 05:35 PM
Ammohead. see your inbox for PM. thx, Onceabull

PatMarlin
11-29-2007, 10:02 PM
Is it NCBS time yet? ..:mrgreen:

I'm comin' this year for sure... :drinks:

Sorry to miss the Reno Show Bill. We just got back from Spokane for turkey day. Got to see the new Cabelas though. What a zoo that was.. :roll::mrgreen::Fire:

NVcurmudgeon
11-30-2007, 12:30 AM
Is it NCBS time yet? ..:mrgreen:

I'm comin' this year for sure... :drinks:

Sorry to miss the Reno Show Bill. We just got back from Spokane for turkey day. Got to see the new Cabelas though. What a zoo that was.. :roll::mrgreen::Fire:

Sorry you can't make the show, Pat. You seem to have a family that is scattered to the four winds! Cabela's being a zoo is a Reno tradition. An In and Out Burger store opened about four years ago, and it was nearly impossible to get in without a long wait for weeks.

cbrick
12-12-2007, 10:12 PM
Read through both pages of this thread and the one thing I was looking for nobody mentioned. What would be the match format for this CB shoot? Guns? Range? Targets? number of rounds? etc. etc. Piqued my interest but shooting what at what how many times and at what positions?

Rick

MT Gianni
12-13-2007, 12:50 AM
Thats what the Friday Night Rules Committe is for. Bring what ya got and a lot of rounds and have fun. Traditionally there has been pistol for score & group shot standing, rifle scoped and irons, score & group, bench and off hand. Distance shoot off hand and a mystery event. Bring a little more ammo than you need. Gianni

NVcurmudgeon
12-13-2007, 01:02 AM
Read through both pages of this thread and the one thing I was looking for nobody mentioned. What would be the match format for this CB shoot? Guns? Range? Targets? number of rounds? etc. etc. Piqued my interest but shooting what at what how many times and at what positions?

Rick

See the sticky about the 2006 shoot, yes 2006 18 months ago. Particularly posts # 26 through 29. The rools committy is whoever shows up for the Friday night dinner. You can be a member in good standing with absolutely no qualifications needed. Welcome, it's really a great event.

Captain Midnight
12-18-2007, 05:57 PM
...........Only about 7.5 months to go boys n girls :-)

..............Buckshot

2 1/2 years in...........
Hope you're up to the strain....
Serious coffee drinkin'.....
Feet up just starin'......
Takin' the grandkids shootin' en huntin'....

It's a rough life, but I think you can do it.

Captain

PatMarlin
12-18-2007, 07:55 PM
And I'm bringin' THIS.... :bigsmyl2:

Just Duke
12-18-2007, 09:50 PM
Does this ever happen in Vegas? :-D

PatMarlin
12-18-2007, 10:00 PM
It's hard to tell. What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.. :mrgreen:

Just Duke
12-18-2007, 10:02 PM
It's hard to tell. What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.. :mrgreen:

You got me Pat. :drinks:

NVcurmudgeon
12-19-2007, 12:41 AM
And I'm bringin' THIS.... :bigsmyl2:

Pat, don't let the high priests of collectordom catch you firing the first round out of that unissued M1!

NVScouter
12-19-2007, 10:49 PM
I'm going to try and show. I'm waiting on moulds for my einfield so I can start getting ready to play with you guys in "The Muck".
This casting Ingots and no bullets is for the birds :Fire:

NVcurmudgeon
12-20-2007, 12:10 AM
I'm going to try and show. I'm waiting on moulds for my einfield so I can start getting ready to play with you guys in "The Muck".
This casting Ingots and no bullets is for the birds :Fire:

Scouter, don't let lack of boolits hold you back. We all bring plenty of ammo, and it is usually no trouble to borrow a rifle. I have one rifle that has been used by others to thrash me soundly on severak occasions. The priorities at NCBS seem to run in this order:

(1) Socializing. (2) Good food and (optional) modest amounts of adult beverages in the evening.
(3) Test driving each others guns. (4) Competition. (5) Swapping and Selling. It's a long way from the Olympics, and probably more fun.

onceabull
12-20-2007, 01:11 AM
I'd say NvC has about nailed the NCBS agenda, about all I can think of to add is -----it isn't a lot like Camp Perry,either-- and for that, I'm grateful !!:twisted: Onceabull

Buckshot
12-24-2007, 04:50 AM
..........Well it appears I'm going to miss it this year too. Last year if it wasn't Jehovah's Witnesses it was bikers hogging up all the motel rooms. This time its because I got laid off. I was on vacation from 11 - 26 and was supposed to be back Dec 7th. On the 6th I had a message to call the terminal manager.

He told me that corporate had downsized the terminal from a 24/7/365 facility to Mon through Friday and 0600 to 1800. Due to other indicators that had been going on, we had all thought that something might be coming. Since I'd been there almost 12 years and was the 2nd in seniority I felt rather safe. Had they gone to 7 days and daylight only they would have had to keep 2 dispatchers besides the terminal manager.

However a 5 day daylight only deal could get by with only 2 people. I never really expected that as too much freight runs through the facility. Poor Don the terminal manager was almost crying he felt so bad. He said he didn't see how it was going to stay just 5 days a week, and if it went to 7 days a week I'd get called back.

I'm of 2 minds about it. First of all I'm really tired of driving 72 miles each day in freeway traffic. However, getting paid to not do anything was a pretty sweet deal :-) Next job I get they'll probably expect me to do something for my paycheck, bummer. I doubt my next employer will let me take vacation just a couple months after starting. At least I seriously doubt it. We'll just have to see what happens.

................Buckshot

Scrounger
12-24-2007, 06:04 AM
Sorry to hear that. Here's hoping your next job is even better. How long till possible retirement?

PatMarlin
12-24-2007, 09:49 AM
That sucks Rick, but maybe if I was you I would just fire up that lathe and tell em' to take them jobs and stuff it.. :mrgreen:

cobbmtmac
12-24-2007, 08:22 PM
Rick:
I'm very sorry to hear of your misfortune. :sad: I hope things turn for the better real soon and that you can still make it to NCBS 2008.
We need you there to keep some of those ROWDIES in check. Also, to tell us that real shooten is; "standing on your two hind legs without the benefit of a rest". :Fire:
Merry christmas and Happy New Year!

felix
12-24-2007, 10:25 PM
Rick, if there is any consolation, JB Hunt is laying off too, among others in the business around the midwest big time. It seems the gas prices are one of the major causes. Might try UPS and Federal Express Ground. ... felix

NVcurmudgeon
12-25-2007, 12:44 AM
Rick, very sorry to hear of your layoff. Also selfishly even sorrier that you will miss NCBS 2008. (If we did like the NFL it would be NCBS IX, but most of us can't count that high in Latin.) Been there, done that at age 60, and almost at 62. I wonder how the corporate mental giants almost always announce layoffs between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

jballs918
01-09-2008, 06:16 PM
hey guys just a question for you all. i told my wife about this and she said that i could go only if she can come, well there is a bit of a issue with this. i have 2 younger kids. like 5 and 9. is there anything up there that they could possiably do for the weekend so that tehy are not bored out of there mines and driving mom to the looney bin.

Buckshot
01-13-2008, 04:22 AM
..............More guys bring their wives then not. For the little kids, I really don't know. I've been out of those for the past 20 years, so when in Winnemucca for the shoot I wasn't looking :-) FOr your wife there are some antique shops, and naturally a couple casinio's!

.................Buckshot

PatMarlin
01-13-2008, 05:27 AM
They can play with Snoopy Dogbone...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=20035

Lord I just put him on the scale at the vets last week and he's 85lbs.. :roll:

BruceB
01-17-2008, 05:12 PM
At the Humboldt County Commissioners' meeting of January 22, the group will be considering a proposed new shooting range.

I'm looking at a map of the proposal now. The shooting area would sit in a natural bowl above the county landfill site on the NE side of Winnemucca Mountain, and the layout of fire direction etc. is just about ideal. A paved road reaches to within a few hundred yards of the proposed site, and a LOT of heavy machinery is available at the landfill for earth-moving.

The proposal includes a 400-yard range looking NNE, a 125-yard range pointing NNW, and a pair of shorter ranges, about 50 yards each from the map, aiming WNW. The ranges all radiate from a central area.

I have no idea how soon the project would get underway if approved, or if it would be available this year. However, it certainly does bode well for the future, if the Commissioners decide to proceed. It's on County land, which makes the whole thing much more 'do-able' compared to dealing with State and federal regulators.

Buckshot
01-18-2008, 04:10 AM
...................That's certainly good news Bruce. It sure would be nice if the line was covered and had concrete benches. However the lowlife vandals would probably have them torn up or shot to pieces in no time.

.................Buckshot

mroliver77
02-08-2008, 03:36 AM
I judt checked and Winnemucca is only 2000 miles from my place. My van would take like $800 for gas there and back. Bike would take $150ish....
J

BruceB
02-19-2008, 01:42 PM
Folks;

It's come to my attention that, on the weekend of the CB Shoot, there is a major mule-racing event scheduled here in Winnemucca.

This event typically fills-up the available accommodation, so conduct thyselves accordingly. Even if your attendance is a tad iffy, it still would be a good idea to reserve now, since reservations are easily canceled and the hotel/motel will still be able to fill any vacancies, even at zero notice.

Please, let's avoid the foo-faraw we got into last year....the dates are NOT going to change (the last weekend in May). RESERVE NOW!

It seems that the new County range project is progressing, but having it ready for our Shoot is still a very large question mark. No actual earthmoving is happening as yet. Curmudgeon and I eyeballed the site yesterday, and it still looks like a wonderful shooting spot to us. Failing that, I'll approach the friendly landowner who hosted the event last year and ask his permission again. In fact, I'll ask him in the very near future, just to ensure that we will have a suitable place nailed-down well in advance. I don't really anticipate much trouble with that request, as he spent a lot of time with us last year, appeared to enjoy himself greatly, and has even cast bullets himself in earlier years.

Anyone who can possibly make it, please try to attend...this may be the best one to date, and ALL of the preceding years were great fun.

onceabull
02-19-2008, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the update...your local COC is still coming up roses in attracting bizness. I'll wager the Mule racing crowd is tons better for casino action than the Jeh.Witness. We will be happy to lighten their load as icing on the NCBS cake...:veryconfu B&J Onceabull [smilie=w:

Scrounger
02-19-2008, 04:10 PM
Any truth to the rumor that certain attendees have been known to do a wheelweight raid in the casino parking lots???

NVcurmudgeon
02-19-2008, 05:27 PM
Any truth to the rumor that certain attendees have been known to do a wheelweight raid in the casino parking lots???

Close, I have picked up a few weights from the gutters while walk.. er, lurching back to the motel following the Rools Comitty meeting. One year I noticed a few junk tires on wheels in and around the dumpster at the range and collected about a pound of WW. "Swiss Army Knife, don't leave home without it."

BruceB
02-20-2008, 10:52 AM
During Curmudgeon's visit on Monday, we also made a decision for the upcoming Shoot.

I have researched the issue of hamburger quality for Lo, these fifty years or more, studying intensively whenever the opportunity has arisen. I prefer a good hamburger to a good steak, which makes me a cheap date indeed. I also subscribe to Garfield the Cat's stated opinion that, "Hamburgers can be dangerous if only wounded."

So, on Monday Bill and I were busily reducing the hamburger population over at the Spare Time bowling alley, when we got to thinking about the menu. This is NOT, repeat NOT, a typical bowling alley milieu. They have a meeting room at least four times the size of the back room at the Flying Pig, and it comes without charge if the group eats and drinks there for the evening. The bar is immediately off that meeting room, and is a very upscale dark-wood-paneled NICE facility. The environment is just fine, and I don't even recall hearing any noise from the bowling lanes (Hey, I'm a shooter, what do you expect?).

So....the hamburgers may well be among the very best I've EVER tasted, but it's not just a hamburger menu. I glommed a copy of the menu, in fact, and here are few of the items which appear:

-numerous kinds of burgers (of course)

-pizza, up to ten toppings (of a quality that is FAMOUS locally)

-steak sandwich (7 oz ribeye)

-grilled pork chops

-BLT

-chicken teriyaki

-fish and chips

-steak and salad

-and much more.

All the above, except a 14-inch pizza, are well under $10, leaving more money for (ahem) "beverages".

So, having had a look at the menu and the quality of the grub, we decided that the Rools Kommittee will meet at the Spare Time at 6pm on the Friday of the Shoot. The meeting room is reserved, and the lady who will be serving us is a friend of mine, a shooter in her own right, and a true character as well.

After fortifying ourselves with a sinfully-good hamburger lunch, Bill and I proceeded to exercise our S&W .357s for a couple hundred rounds on some rocks etc that needed discipline, and found (again) that a smallish rock at 200 yards is NOT safe from a good .357 load....

At this point, we are planning to again host the crew at Ragged Ass Ranch (our home) for the Saturday-evening pig-out, and to return to Ormachea's Dinner House for the closing dinner on Sunday.

Looking forward to it already...

PatMarlin
02-20-2008, 12:04 PM
I think the background noise at Bowling Alley's is great. That sounds like a great plan Bruce and Bill... :drinks:

The year's starting to look like it will be real busy for me. I know now I won't have hardly any time to work up decent loads with the way my shooting time has been gobbled up already, but we have got to try out hardest to get there this year.

Haven't even had time to shoot my (new to me) Garand yet.. :roll:

cobbmtmac
02-20-2008, 01:38 PM
Bruce,

thanks for the update, You and NVcurmudgeon scouting for us gives me great pease of mind. :drinks:

NVcurmudgeon
02-21-2008, 10:21 PM
cbrick, a hopeful welcome to our madness.

Rifle offhand 50 yd. iron sights.
Rifle offhand 100 yd. scope sight.
Rifle group bench rest 50 yd. iron sights.
Rifle group bench rest 100 yd. scope sight.
Pistol group bench rest 25 yd. iron sights.
Pistol group bench rest 50 yd. scope sight
Pistol score event will be at 50 yd. on bowling pins or what the master of targets provides.
The above events are for five shots. Targets are official NRA pistol centers. (If you can't hit
a center you forgot to sight in.) No "alibis" but you can come back with another gun.

Additional matches:
Pistol team match, usually a 25-50 yd. stake cutting or hanging clays match. Teams are chosen by drawing for two or three teams, depending on turnout.
Rifle team match, 50-75 yd. hanging clays. Both of these team events are shoot till all the targets are down.
Long range rifle match. Iron sights, offhand. "Long range" to be defined by range limitations. If we are lucky 200 yards, If not 100 yards. Targets are gongs with the size of the gong to be decided by a committe of cometitors.

That's the competition story. The most often observed actvity is socializing, fine dining, competition, test driving each other's guns, and trading, in about that order. This is not balls to wall competition (a flight expression, not a sexual one.) We have a great time meeting friends old and new. It it seems like a family reunion, it's because we're so much alike. Y'all come!

NVcurmudgeon
02-21-2008, 10:28 PM
I think the background noise at Bowling Alley's is great. That sounds like a great plan Bruce and Bill... :drinks:

The year's starting to look like it will be real busy for me. I know now I won't have hardly any time to work up decent loads with the way my shooting time has been gobbled up already, but we have got to try out hardest to get there this year.

Haven't even had time to shoot my (new to me) Garand yet.. :roll:

Pat, I guarantee to have freshly loaded, weighed, segregated boolits for your borrowing of gun and ammunition. If you are really good, I will give you the match grade stuff rather than plinkers.

Urny
02-23-2008, 01:53 PM
Reserved our room at the Santa Fe this morning, for Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. We have a budding gun nut in our Grandson Keith who may be here from his home outside Big Lake, AK. He will turn 12 next month and we will get him his first big game rifle for that birthday, but will wait until he gets here so the choice can be his. It would be great for us if he can make the gathering.

I've enjoyed a hamburger or two with NVC and BruceB, and their judgement of gutbuster quality is not to be despised by any means. Being a bit of a hamburger lover myself, this years NCBS promises adventure many ways, I think. The weekend before I'll have a hamburger at Sergio's to prime myself for the adventure, and may come home via Midas, NV, to finish off with one of the great burgers from the Midas Bar. Life is good for we who love the humble hamburger. Wimpy move over.

PatMarlin
02-24-2008, 09:43 PM
Thanks Bill.

As soon as the weather clears up, I'm going to at least work on one caliber for myself, and get Tam going on her 357 mag, and 308 win BLR. I need to block out every sunday for practice, and I'll work on loads the night before.

This should give us something to take and shoot. I haven't even been able to shoot my Garand yet.. :roll:

Also- does anyone know were we can stay in our little self contained trailer? Rooms are just to much with the cost of fuel.

One other thing I did was screw up and scared Snoopy gun shy. He was not scared of gunfire at all as a pup, but one day some wolf mix dogs came on the property, and I grabbed my 870 to run them off. Fired a bout 4 rounds and scared Snoop as he wasn't expecting it, and then he saw the other dogs run off.

Now he tries to hide when I bring a rifle out in the living room.. :roll: I don't know how he would act at the shoot now.

NVcurmudgeon
02-25-2008, 05:08 PM
Thanks Bill.

As soon as the weather clears up, I'm going to at least work on one caliber for myself, and get Tam going on her 357 mag, and 308 win BLR. I need to block out every sunday for practice, and I'll work on loads the night before.

This should give us something to take and shoot. I haven't even been able to shoot my Garand yet.. :roll:

Also- does anyone know were we can stay in our little self contained trailer? Rooms are just to much with the cost of fuel.

One other thing I did was screw up and scared Snoopy gun shy. He was not scared of gunfire at all as a pup, but one day some wolf mix dogs came on the property, and I grabbed my 870 to run them off. Fired a bout 4 rounds and scared Snoop as he wasn't expecting it, and then he saw the other dogs run off.

Now he tries to hide when I bring a rifle out in the living room.. :roll: I don't know how he would act at the shoot now.

Pat, IF we will be using Tibo's ground, there will be plenty of room for your SC trailer. Last year, NVWalt set up a tent camp there, which made it convenient for us and for Mr. Tibo re: security.

PatMarlin
02-26-2008, 09:29 PM
Well now it looks like my wife's going to go to Hawaii with her mom that week. So on to plan B.

When will you know where the shoot will be Bill?

NVcurmudgeon
02-27-2008, 01:13 AM
Well now it looks like my wife's going to go to Hawaii with her mom that week. So on to plan B.

When will you know where the shoot will be Bill?

Watch this space for Bruce's announcement.

BruceB
03-20-2008, 01:55 AM
Folks;

Time rushes onward, and again I remind you that the weekend of the NCBS 2008 (May 30-31-June 1) is also the occasion for a VERY active weekend of mule racing in Winnemucca, with hundreds of folks coming-in for the fun.

If you plan to attend the Shoot, PLEASE make reservations immediately, like NOW!

The new County Range project is proceeding, and it looks like a sure thing. However, I do NOT have much faith that it will be useable for our Shoot this year. Next year, yep, it looks good, but not for '08. (I'd be VERY happy to be proven wrong, however.)

If anyone coming happens to have access to an ATV and the willingness to bring it, we could sure use one. The pal who donated his ATV last year has left for other parts. I am following up on other possibilities here, but ....?

With regard to camping-out, my only concern is that isolated camps can't safely be left un-attended. As NVWalt discovered last year, this means missing-out on all the evening festivities. These evening hours are some of the best times of the entire weekend, and I hate to see anyone miss out.

There are several RV parks with camping facilities, and also I think that with a self-contained camper rig, WalMart still makes their parking lot available for overnighters at no charge.

willwork4ww
04-09-2008, 05:36 AM
BruceB, just recently got back to the board after a long hiatus with no internet. If I can still still get resevervations somewhere, I would be happy to bring an ATV. I will call tomorrow and see what I can find.

MT Gianni
04-12-2008, 06:34 PM
I plan to have for sale at the Winnemucca shoot or here afterwards 1 30-06 springfield sporterised and perhaps a 30-30 Savage 340. Both have receiver sights. I will not post them in the for sale section until after Winemuca. This is an incentive to attend for fence sitters. Gianni

onceabull
04-13-2008, 10:28 AM
Mt.Gianni: I,for one will be glad to cast eyes on your springfield..May have an offering ,or three,myself. Four pieces passed into younger hands y'day at the gun show,and we will still be trying today.. Two members from " the heart of old Nevada"got first looking done here ,so may have to alter the mix some to make it fair to all. Great to hear you are going to be with us again.......Onceabull

ben1025
04-25-2008, 12:05 PM
Last year my wife and I stayed at the model T RV park. It's behind the model T casino and practically across the street from the cemetary. The rates were $20 per day.
Stay 2 days and get 3rd free. That is very reasonable.

775-645-5658
800 645-5658
<info@modelt.com>

BruceB
04-25-2008, 09:24 PM
OK, group!

First, one more reminder about reservations...I don't know what the local situation is now, but if you don't have a space reserved, you'd best get after it. Note ben1025's post today about the Model T RV park, those of you bringing such accommodation with you.

Sometime in the next week or so I will be asking for all those planning to attend to declare themselves. This is so that I can reserve space at Ormachea's Dinner House for the closing dinner on the Sunday.

Just about an hour ago, I returned from a detailed recce of a shooting site which I believe will satisfy every requirement. It's located 14 miles and 15 minutes north from the traffic light at Winnemucca Boulevard and Highway 95. Highway 95 is visible from the place, 2.5 miles downhill on a VERY good gravel road. The "range" is on a high rise of ground, with visibility of probably thirty miles or more to the far horizons. We'll definitely be the beneficiaries of any "breeze" that comes along.

There's plenty of unimproved but reasonably-level ground for a firing line and parking area, and the available range length is probably a thousand yards or more...it FAR outstrips the abilities of my modest Bushnell rangefinder, which I think is rated for 400 yards. This might be the very best location we've ever used, and frankly I prefer using a site which doesn't conflict with other shooters and events (such as at the County range, even if it's available).

Brown's Hardware again is allowing us to use as many of their tables and chairs as we want, no charge.

I intend to have an interesting long-range target available, but am not inclined to disclose its nature at this early date. It will be very different, being able to shoot three or four hundred yards or more. Gonna be fun!!!

An ATV would be wonderful to have available. A 4x4 truck MIGHT be able to get out to the longer distances, but today I only had Der Schuetzenwagen for wheels (2 WD), was alone, and didn't want to push my luck. Also, the ground is virtually un-tracked, and there's no point leaving traces if we can avoid it. Scars on the land last about forever in this desert. Wagon tracks on the Overland Trail are still visible 140 years later. Therefore, an ATV would be much appreciated. A local dealer has said he will consider loaning us a used one, if available, but of course he can't foresee what his stock will look like ahead of time.

Please try to attend if at all possible. We can promise one of the best shooting weekends you will EVER have!

PatMarlin
04-26-2008, 10:42 AM
Well this year I have found myself yet again trying to keep enough business going but the economy around here has tanked.

Looks like I may have to pass and not attend again. I even bought my wife a BLR so she could shoot it at the meet, but she will be gone with her mom. I haven't had time to shoot one round anyway, so no load developement for the shoot either.. :roll:

I guess I have to wait until I retire.. :roll:

onceabull
04-26-2008, 03:16 PM
Sounds a treat,Bruce. This AM,I starting sorting out and boxing up moulds for rent or lease,marking boxes with Name of whoever has first call.One of those varmint shooters from So.Cal. gets running start,as his box from last year remained unopened..will add a item or three and call it ENUFF,in his case..Believe I have some that will tempt you toward that free verse about shovels,shotguns,and acreage (AGAIN):mrgreen:..... Onceabull..... :mrgreen:

cobbmtmac
04-26-2008, 04:33 PM
Bruce,

Plan on my son Darren and I, believe me it sounds exciting! Mom being 91, just does not want to travel that far. Marlene will stay with her so our representation this year will be 2. Plus as posted Mr. & Mrs. onceabull will be with us or us with them.

This leaves 2 rooms availible that I have reserved. I have offered them to a couple of people, one was able to connect for himself and the other is bringing their 5th wheel.

I could cancel them right now but feel they will go in the pool for the Mule Racers etc. I will keep them until May 15th, in case someone wanting to join us needs a room. They just need to PM me and we will work it out. If no one needs them, I will cancel them of the 16th of May.

"willwork4ww" mentioned he was bringing a ATV. Maybe he will verify that soon.

:coffee: :Fire: :drinks:

BruceB
05-10-2008, 04:32 PM
The date is bearing down on us (May 30-31, June 1) and I'd like everyone who plans to attend to re-affirm that fact in the next day or two.

I have firm commitments from some folks already, but please, kindly indicate again in a Private Message or on this thread, if you intend to be here for the 2008 Nevada Shoot.

This is just to get an accurate number for dinner reservations at Ormachea's.

Thanks in advance.

onceabull
05-10-2008, 05:53 PM
BruceB: Mr.& Mrs. Onceabull will be there ,expect to see you at the Griddle,lunch,Friday 5/30/08.... :-D

MT Gianni
05-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Bruce, Holly and I plan to be there arriving late Friday afternoon and leaving Mon AM. She will not shoot unless a pistol takes her fancy so plan for one shooter. Gianni

Urny
05-10-2008, 06:54 PM
LINDA will miss again this year, but I plan to be there for all three days, hopefully be in by lunch Friday. Current plan is to provide lunch for Saturday, leftovers for Sunday. This may be my only vacation this year, so I plan to have a good time with good friends and food.

NVWalt
05-10-2008, 08:32 PM
I and Jane will be there.........Walt

NVcurmudgeon
05-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Jaremy and I will be there. Still leaning on Nevada Duke and his friend Mikey.

powderburnerr
05-10-2008, 11:40 PM
I'll be there for sure if you got a 1000 yds .... Dean

cobbmtmac
05-11-2008, 07:50 PM
My son Darren and I will be there. We will also see you at the Griddle for lunch on friday.

Looking forward to enjoying time with everyone. :Fire:

BruceB
05-16-2008, 01:49 AM
Thanks to everyone for checking in.

It appears that we'll have about twenty souls or thereabouts, so I'll make dinner reservations for a few more than that figure due to a couple of uncertainties in the list.

I was hoping for a somewhat larger attendance, but we all know how easily things can get discombobulated, and then adding-in the present cost of fuel and everything else....?? We'll have a fine ol' time, anyway!

Powderburnerr, I dunno about that 1000-yard request. I'm a bit mobility-challenged right now, and haven't walked the whole shooting site. I can assure you that our max range will be a lot longer than at any prior Shoot in Winnemucca. If you can bring along a target of some sort which is suited to such longshots, we'll try to fix you up.

What I'd like to do is make a post-lunch expedition to the shooting site from The Griddle on Friday, with as many people as would like to come along. We'll mark out distances and generally get a feel for the place. If anyone else owns a rangefinder, it would be useful to have along.

As mentioned earlier, it's just a fifteen-minute trip from downtown. After that, a few minutes spent picking-up tables and chairs from Brown's Hardware should see us pretty well set for the festivities. I have a sizeable trailer which will haul a LOT of stuff, and save most of the shoe-horning of things into pickups. (The trailer may be seen in the Great Rat-Zapping thread, using the key-word "paradise" for the search.)

Sure am looking forward to it.

PatMarlin
05-16-2008, 11:30 AM
Bruce,

I regrete that the cost of fuel and the current business climate has stopped my hopes for attending. I have got to work extra hard this year to keep things going.

Thanks for your hard work in making these shoots happen.

I hope I can finally make it next time.

Pat..... :drinks:

9.3X62AL
05-17-2008, 09:27 PM
Bruce--

I'm a sure bet, Buckshot is still a little unsure.

BruceB
05-19-2008, 11:54 PM
Having thought that the arrangements have been pretty-well hammered out, I was bumfoozled to be finding myself today being avalanched with new possibilities.

The rancher who helped host the rat-zap for Buckshot, Al, Curmudgeon and ammohead (as well as myself) contacted Karen today and PLEADED with her to get some shooters on his ground. The word he used was "over-run" with sage rats.

This requires some thought, and I'm not opionating right out of the gate.

As I see it, is the purist CB brethren ready to accept heathenish varmint rifles on the firing line, with jacketed bullets and all that stuff?

It would be very easy to set-up two firing lines, angled to different areas of the field, even a half-mile or more apart. ONE would be for Pb only, and the other for varminters. The ground is rough-level, meaning no Nevada pin-striping on vehicles in the sagebrush.

We can still have the normal variety of steel and paper targets, and we'll be able to stretch the ranges to whatever fond dreams might clog up our dream-catchers.

That is the first scenario......

The second scenario would see us shooting the CB fun events wherever we decide, and then devoting a day or two after the Shoot to hopefully at least put a crimp in the Rat festivities. Of course, there's nothing wrong in a CB shooter introducing a rat to a boolit which outweighs him and his entire sleazy family, is there? Some (many?) opportunities are bound to occur in the course of a shoot.

The only drawback to going on the ranch is the added distance to travel. It would be about forty minutes from downtown but holey-moley, the numbers of rats will boggle one's mind.

One very attractive fact in this equation is this: A PRIVATE landowner has found our behaviour sufficiently controlled to warrant a second invitation. Even if we NEVER drop a hammer on a rat, careful courteous behavior and tight contol of trash, along with demonstrably professional gunhandling ( which I'm PROUD to see in our ranks) can very easily gain us a permanent place to shoot, right up to about .50BMGs and other fevered concoctions.

If this pans out, I expect to see a FLOCK of Christmas cards heading to the ranch next December.

Let me know what you think. I'm no varminting nut, but on short acqaintance last month, I found it to be an interesting exercise in rifle accuracy. The Nevada Zephrs play a large part as well.

MT Gianni
05-20-2008, 08:21 AM
Bruce my 2 cents is cast on the line and don't ask don't tell elsewhere. Gianni

PatMarlin
05-20-2008, 08:45 AM
ooooh- varmits.. :mrgreen:

onceabull
05-20-2008, 03:26 PM
BruceB: Although I haven't annoyed varmints since I started losing my hair( sometime prior to B.I.L.'s and Sis wedding pic's dated 3/58) I'm thinking you have come up with too great an opportunity for expanding our circle of influence to be allowed to pass sans some positive response. I'm confident there will still be ample chance to close out leases,negotiate purchases,and record new business regardless of our order of fire.. Congrats on snagging the 2c RCBS 35-200.. I had some thought toward laying off one of my VINTAGE examples on you, and,in my dreams,collecting something on the order of the $147.50 that a 2c Lyman 358627 brought @ e-Bay ,5/10/08....!! :veryconfu Onceabull :rolleyes:

MT Gianni
05-20-2008, 11:23 PM
Bruce, Since there will be some wives there it may be more convenient to have a competition day and a gopher day. I can see Holly being super bored at a gopher shoot. Gianni

9.3X62AL
05-20-2008, 11:52 PM
Bruce--

I think you know my thoughts on the rat strafing.

Buckshot
05-21-2008, 03:50 AM
http://www.fototime.com/B9F5D6F8AE6687D/standard.jpg

Lottsa room, eh? :-)

................Buckshot

cobbmtmac
05-21-2008, 11:42 AM
Bruce,

I would like to see two half days of our usual shoot and two half days for Rat shooting. :Fire:

AM. for the Rats and PM for our shoot or if afternoon is better for the Rats, then visa-versa.

Nothing wrong with fudging, making a long and short half day for those that want to.

Just my thoughts, I'll go along with whatever use-guys choose. :drinks:

bdoyle
05-22-2008, 09:58 AM
I was going to have to pass this year (again) but the option of rat shooting is too much to ignore. Too much work and not enough time. I know I have a bag of 311041gb and soup cans for the 30 cals but that is about it. Unless I get stuck for jury duty I can get there on Saturday and leave on tues (if there is stuff to stay for). Don't want to impose but can we camp on site? Will know more in a day or so...

Brian (not that far away but still about $300 in diesel!)

l

ammohead
05-22-2008, 08:12 PM
Hello All,

Yes I will be there. Just got a new mountain mould's 210 gr fp for 35 Rem, a three holer! Need to get casting and loading. See you there!

ammohead

9.3X62AL
05-23-2008, 06:44 PM
Of course, you know, this means The War Wagon mods will have to be hurried along now. Home Depot, here I come.

redneckdan
05-27-2008, 11:23 AM
Heard there was a shoot'em at a bar in Winnemucca this last weekend. Wanted to check and make sure all here were okay. Wasn't sure if the NCBS was last weekend or this weekend.

BruceB
05-28-2008, 07:46 AM
The time draws near.

For those who happen to arrive in time, let's meet at The Griddle for Friday lunch at ONE P.M. This should avoid the bulk of the lunchtime crowd.

Everyone I know seems to be taking the Saturday-night gunfight in stride. Plenty of people here are legal gun-carriers, and it's one more illustration of WHY having an "equalizer" makes good sense. There's just no telling how many lives were saved by the timely intervention of the armed gent from Reno. Incidentally, the bar manager puts the crowd at around forty people, instead of the WILDLY inflated figure of 300 being tossed around by police and press....300 in that building would be extremely tight, if not actually impossible.

Bdoyle, I wouldn't count on camping on site. It's private ground, and I know that if it were my property, I'd like to have it to myself. Mr. Cassinelli is going far enough in just granting access to our thundering herd, I think. He'll meet us on Saturday morning and indicate "a few spots", as he puts it.

The weather forecast is looking good, partly cloudy with mid-70s temps through the weekend, and we are gonna have a fine time.

PatMarlin
05-28-2008, 09:44 AM
Wish you guys a great time. I'm up in Washington state right now, and just would not have been able to attend anyway.

Next yar god willing... :drinks:

BruceB
05-28-2008, 10:08 AM
Remember that the "Rools Kommittee" meets for dinner at the Spare Time bowling facility at 6 pm Friday.

Turn east on Bridge Street (the ONLY traffic light north of the Highway 95 intersection) and drive up to the railway tracks. Just BEFORE the tracks on the left is the bowling alley. Go through the bar to the meeting room. I can taste that mushroom & onion burger already....drool.

9.3X62AL
05-28-2008, 02:15 PM
Bruce et al--

I don't think I'll be there in time for the Griddle meeting, I'll be attending a concert band performance that includes our youngest daughter on Thursday at 7 P.M. in Riverside. I'll try to get away about 4 A.M. from here, which (if all goes well) should get me to Winnemucca about 3 P.M. Getting stuff prepped and doing a bit of reloading for the shoot at present. The Rules Committee Meeting goes without saying--I'M THERE.

flhroy
05-28-2008, 11:25 PM
Was in Winnemucca last week-end but one of these years I'll make it there for the shoot. Hope the weather is better for you guys then what we had. Anyway, the reason for this post is to let you guys headed for Winnemucca this week-end know that there'll be a vendor set up over by the mule races selling boots. If you're thinking you may need a new pair of boots you really need to get over there and take look at what he has. I bought a pair last Memorial day and they are by far the most comfortable boot I have ever wore. The boots are made in China but so is a lot of other stuff in the stores today. So if you have the time and the need go check it out, you won't be sorry.

Have fun guys

Take Care

Roy

Buckshot
06-02-2008, 04:30 AM
..............What? No progress reports to keep us unfortunates feeling sorry for ourselves?

............Buckshot

PatMarlin
06-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Yeah ..:groner:

Jon K
06-02-2008, 03:00 PM
Rick & Pat,

No feedback, because the guys like you to give feedback didn't go...........................so now you have to beg. Sound about right?LOL.

Jon

BruceB
06-02-2008, 04:14 PM
It was a success. There are reasons for the delayed reporting. Members will be arriving home today and (I hope) posting their impressions.

Would you believe shade trees for the firing point and running streams on-site?

PatMarlin
06-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Would you believe shade trees for the firing point and running streams on-site?

Oh my, my... that is awesome!... :drinks:

Now I know I can't kick myself over it, cause there was no way I could have attended this year, but next year come hell or high water I am there.. :mrgreen:

9.3X62AL
06-03-2008, 02:03 PM
Exactamundo, amigos!

I didn't keep records of the shooting wins and losses, although I contributed mightily to the loss column during both days of the shooting. Ammohead DID kick a lot of our collective aspirations IIRC, but that is becoming a featured part of the program. That man can SHOOT.

My impressions dwell largely upon the beauty of the site arranged by BruceB, and upon the good will and friendly banter had among the attendees present. Every one of these meetings continues to be a better event than the prior year's affair, but this year's ideation was off the charts.

The site was a fallowed alfalfa field, roughly 1/4 mile x 1/4 mile. One edge had a very troutish-appearing stream flowing around it, with cottonwoods and alders providing shade to the firing line and attendees as needed. There was just enough breeze to keep the mosquitoes respectful, but not enough to significantly affect shooting (that particular "243 alibi" won't fly, and too many witnesses would dog me to the dusty earth if I tried it). The other edge was formed by a pretty steep tall hillside, about as mechanically-safe a site as could be built--let alone found. Early the first day of the meet, a number of muleys determined that People With Rifles did not march in lockstep with their best interests, so they departed from the cottonwoods and brush across the field from the firing line in an unhurried but definite retreat.

The Usual Suspects (paper targets and dinger plates) were erected at 25--50--and 100 yards. Additionally, the field enabled the set-up of a True And Righteous Long Range Match--417 yards from muzzle to metallic recipient, as lasered by the Range Staff. I got a chance to play with Ammohead's Browning 1885 repro in 45-70, and with that rig you had to strive mightily to miss at a mere 417 yards. One hell of a rifle and load, for sure. I tried that venue with my Savage 99 and its 100 grain spire points. By use of a handy granite rock about 12 degrees above the dinger plate on the hillside behind the plate, I could get rounds landing on or within the local dialing area of the dinger plate. I'm sure they would leave quite a welt on a deer at that distance.

Urny put on a FINE spread at lunchtime both days--that tuna was AWESOME. As usual, I over-ate in detail at every meal attended.

Onceabull brought a number of war toys and impliments of destruction to taunt and tantalyze one and all with. What a drain clog he can be. He has about a baker's dozen of 30-06 bolt variants that got me drooling all over myself, and (what a rotten trick) dragged out a S&W Model 544 to really get my heart started up (N-frame in 44-40 WCF). I tuned out the siren call of the Combat Masterpiece examples he plied me with, and kept my eyes on the prize--a 5" Model 10 to match up with my 5" M&Ps in 32-20 and 38 S&W. THEN--out comes an Official Police x 6" in 32-20. Bill has no idea how close he came to getting hit over the head with that one. Hard. That man is my own personal Pending Bankruptcy With Pulse And Respiration, simply put.

Dinner at Ormachea's was delightful, I really look forward to the Awards Banquet for the food and wild stories. The whole meeting--from Rules Committee at the Spare Time bowling alley (GREAT CHOW) to the Ormachea's meal was weight gain and story-sharing from start to finish. A meeting not to miss, if at all possible.

Marie's take on the matter upon my arrival home last night--I came home fatter, darker, and tireder than I left on Friday morning. Mission accomplished!

MT Gianni
06-03-2008, 07:37 PM
It was a great time. In the 100 yd score Curmudgeon and his son Jeremy tied and had a shoot off. Curmudgeon shoots first and hits an 8 [first one off of the black looses] so Jeremy matches his 8. 2nd shot Curmudgeon misses the lack so Jeremy hit the X ring. We really teased Jeremy about leading Curmudgeon on.
I shot OK the first day and lead in both pistol events Saturday. Then I learned that pistol group could be done off of a rest not standing but had a flier, I believe Ammohead won the group and my score held through. No idea on the 50 yard irons.
It was a great location, good food at the BBQ, and restaurants, and good to see friends once again.
There were a few new shooters, Cobb MT Mac's son Darren attended, 7&*'s son straffed gophers while we shot and I am not sure if Richard had been here before or not. All were welcomed.
The pistol teams ended up with MT Gianni, Ammohead, NV Walt, Richard and Al, on one team and Mac, Onceabull, Darren, Jeremy, and Curmudgeon on the other team. We[the odd bunch] were Keith desciples and the 44 Mag was the smallest caliber shot. [I did switch to the Thompson 429244 half way through but kept silent aboout it. There were a lot of 357/38's shooters on the other team and the oddballs stake fell in record time. No rifle event as the clay pigeon holders came up missing.
Thanks again Bruce for the work and all else you have done. Gianni

NVcurmudgeon
06-04-2008, 02:01 AM
The title is because there are only winners at the NCBS because everybody has a great time.

Iron sight rifle group 50 yd. Ammohead 1.21"
Iron sight rifle score 50 yd. Jaremy 48-2X
Scoped rifle group 100 yd. 9.3X62 Al 1.511"
Scoped rifle score 100 yd. Jaremy/NVcurmudgeon tied at 39. Jaremy won the shootoff 2-1.
Scoped pistol group 50 yd. Ammohead 1.288"
Iron sight pistol group 25 yd. NVWalt 1.048"
Iron sight pistol score 25 yd. MTGianni 46
Long range rifle score 417 yd. Ammohead 4 hits in 5 shots

A magnificent trophy was presented to NVcurmudgeon in apreciation for providing Golden
Wheel Weight awards. Thanks to all. I was astounded and had a little trouble responding.

Besides the usual suspects attending, friends of long standing, MTGianni and Holly appeared after too long a hiatus, as well as as first timers Darren Mac and Richard. Special thanks to NVWalt for bringing Jane, after finding out last year that we aren't too rough a bunch.

As always, we are all indebted to BruceB and KarenB for arranging the best venue yet, at Dan's ranch. The Bs also put on a lavish dinner at their home, furnished a trailer full of target materials,
and once again arranged for rent-free use of tables and chairs from Brown's True Value Hardware.

How many days until next May?

PatMarlin
06-04-2008, 12:01 PM
I'm such a loser... :violin:

.....:mrgreen:....

cobbmtmac
06-04-2008, 12:49 PM
Hello to all, :drinks:

On behalf of my son Darren and me, I want to also thank BruceB and Karen B for the wonderful venue, it was a beautiful and very special place. Also thank you for your continued hard work and great bar-b-que and delicious deserts!

Thank you URNY, for the lunch each day, they were just wonderful!

It did not suprise me, but I must thank you all for making my son Darren feel so welcome. He mentioned this several times during our 6 hour trip to his home. All the while, he was formulating his plan for much more practice and for tweaking his guns, knowing he will do better next year. I explaind he did very well, as all those that did not take home a trophy, only missing by a few thousands to maybe a quarter of an inch.

It was also nice to meet those that had attended before that I had not met, MT Gianni and the lovely Holly, as well as the other first timmers, NVWalts, lovely wife to be... Jane, also not so lovely but a great guy, Richard.

The event pictures and winner pictures that I took probably will not be ready for a couple of weeks due to the fact, I am proud to say, that the lovely Marlene and I have been Married 50 years this past March. We made the decisson to take a great trip and opted to wait for better weather, leaving soon after my return from NCBS. We will be spending a week in the Mt Shasta area. We are leaving Fri. am. so with other duties the pics will come after we return.

9.3X62AL
06-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Nah, after the Flake Flux idea--yer no loser. That stuff ROCKS.

The 9.3 x 62 rifle pulled my chestnuts out of the fire, for sure. Not a week earlier, the 243 fired ten 5-shot groups at 100 yards spanning 1.1"-1.4". Naturally, it chose a day where performance mattered to go poetic on me. Small calibers and cast boolits get moody, I guess.

The 9.3 is just a steady, ready cast performer. It can be relied upon to put up 1.25"-1.5" groups at 100 yards pretty routinely. Considering the size range of game to be sought with that caliber, that sort of work is better than it needs to be. It is as good or better with j-words it likes. It does have "steak and lobster" tastes for the redcoats, though--rejecting the Speers and enjoying the Noslers.

A little fact needs interjecting here........Bill and Jaremy determined that my group size with the 9.3 was .004" smaller than Bill's group. They can clearly see a LOT better than I can to make that sort of call. If Bill and I didn't tie for the outcome, I sure couldn't have discerned a difference.

Plain enough--looking at the results posted by Bill, there is some mighty good shooting going on in an atmosphere of friendly companionship and conversation during NCBS. To say I enjoyed myself would understate the case greatly.

onceabull
06-04-2008, 08:45 PM
NCBS '08 is written large, yet another reminder for me as to how fortunate for me to troll into these guys on the old "Shooter's" board during '01.. Got my nerves under control in time for the '02 shooting and have'nt missed since..still have some equipment waiting for final clean up, doubt it will all be done before the annual Henry's Lake flyfishings excursion.(Leave Tuesday next,and still some prep.to do). Needed all the space in milady's new wheels to get lease payments home,as several seemed to be competing for " leasee of the year " .. Quality counts too, and this crowds work gives me good cause not to have to exhibit what I've been calling "Good enuff"... BruceB. got us a range suitable for a grand S.S.picnic and concert in addition to the real purpose...If I'd brought my short range rod, I'd been able to test old reflexes on some trout, I think...I'm not talking about ANY of the temptations encountered firearmswise,as there were so many that I could err by omission of someone's personal best...Great to see Mt.Gianni and Holly again,and meet Richard..THANK YOU TO OUR HOSTS... Onceabull

NVcurmudgeon
06-04-2008, 11:37 PM
The 9.3 x 62 rifle pulled my chestnuts out of the fire, for sure.
A little fact needs interjecting here........Bill and Jaremy determined that my group size with the 9.3 was .004" smaller than Bill's group. They can clearly see a LOT better than I can to make that sort of call. If Bill and I didn't tie for the outcome, I sure couldn't have discerned a difference.

Al, medium bore hunting rifles forever! My "bunduki mkubwa," .35 Whelen, won the same event last year in Jaremy's capable hands and came within a hair's breadth this time. I am blessed in that the .35 has a democratic taste in FLGC bullets, frequently putting three Nosler Partitions or three Speer Hot Cors into one inch, or even one hole at 100 yd.

MT Gianni
06-07-2008, 03:07 PM
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s52/Giandm/2008_06020012.jpg
How many shooters does it take to set up targets?
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s52/Giandm/2008_06020018.jpg
Da line
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s52/Giandm/2008_06020053.jpg
winning stake shoot team
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s52/Giandm/2008_06020052.jpg
2nd place stake shooters team

PatMarlin
06-07-2008, 05:56 PM
OK- Who's who?

Looks like maybe NV Bill at the fore front. Also, looks like maybe Al with his head down.

NVcurmudgeon
06-07-2008, 07:47 PM
OK- Who's who?

Looks like maybe NV Bill at the fore front. Also, looks like maybe Al with his head down.

Correct on NVBill, my stepson Jaremy with the red shirt, I Dunno in black hat, Urny in white cap, I Dunno's cousin in straw hat, MT Gianni with red hatband, maybe Al in blue cap. Sorry, I can't do better, I can remember 1942 completely, but recent stuff is questionable.

onceabull
06-07-2008, 08:09 PM
--with straw hat on urny's left..THAT'S ME....Onceabull

MT Gianni
06-07-2008, 10:09 PM
In "Da Line" 7 & 8's son and he, Richard in the safari hat, NVWalt with his head down and I'm in the red tee. In the winning stake team L to R: Ammohead, NvWalt, Richard, Al head down and My Redhawk. 2nd place team:Curmudgeon/Bill, his son Jaremy, Mac's son Darren, Urney and Onceabulls hat. Then on to Gianni, Al, and it looks like Walt's Blackhawk. Top photo shows the great location as wellas the backs of Gianni, Mac, Bill, Jaremy and Darren. I think I can see Richards hat facing us. G.

Ventnburn
06-08-2008, 01:35 AM
Finally found some time to check in.

I didn't think I was going to go (I being Richard, ventnburn not being a very personable handle when shouted loudly in restaurants at long time shooters), found out on Thursday my weekend was free so I gathered up what little I had laying around and went.

Even significantly outclassed, undergunned, and woefully unprepared, this was as much fun as a person could have and still keep their cloths on, actually hated to see Sunday end. Thank you BruceB and KarenB for going to the lengths you did to make sure we had a bit of paradise to shoot in and hosting the Saturday dinner. The landowner and our host Danny will be receiving a thank you note as soon as I can find an address.

This group was there to have a good time, shoot, visit, eat, shoot, socialize, shoot, trade, eat, and did I note shoot. They were more than willing to let me stick around and send j-bullets down range at the rats after I got rid of what few real bullets I had loaded up. Did have enough 45acp for the stake cutting (Western Family's Hot Cocoa cans holds exactly 200 45acp rounds and that one on the table was full of lyman's 225gr round nose, don't even know how many were hammered downrange but it was a lot lighter going back to the truck).

Hopefully next year I will be in a better situation (just moved here to Winnemucca, my shooting stuff just got here the Wednesday before the shoot, everything is a mess) to both compete in the events and help out more with setting up and running this thing (there were 7 of us down range setting target boards because we have to help, its just our nature).

Now I have a year to get both the 6.5 swede and the '03 Springfield up and running with cast, along with fine tuning the 35 Whelen and finding a decent Sharps in a 45xsomethingreallybig (I have wanted one for a number of years anyway).

And I hope to see everyone from this shoot plus more in 2009, this is just too much of a good thing to miss.

NVcurmudgeon
06-08-2008, 09:54 AM
Ventnburn, thanks for being a worthy reenforcement to NCBS. (I envy your being able to WALK to the Rools Committy meeting.) I see you are bringing a Springfield next year, we all seem to have at least one. Looking forward to comparing notes with you on 6.5 X 55 loads. If all goes well my .260 Remington will put in an appearance, the .260 being a naturalized 6.5 X 55.

PatMarlin
06-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Maybe medical science and the enviromentalists have it all wrong? ...:shock:

The use of lead may actually improve brain funtion, as shown here in the photos- you cast bootlit shooters very much look like an intellegent group of folks.. :mrgreen:

MT Gianni
06-08-2008, 05:19 PM
Ventnburn, Sorry I forgot your handle, hope that you enjoyed it as much as we did. G.

NVWalt
06-08-2008, 09:07 PM
What a great time once again amongst good people and wonderful company. The usual thanks to Mr. and Mrs. B for all they do and with Bruce feeling a bit under the weather, enough thanks can't be said.
I brought my soon to be wife with me and what a can of worms she opened up for me. She has a few rifles of her own and next year I guess I will be loading up even more "stuff".
It was also a pleasure to meat Al, Richard ,John and Holley and too many to really mention.
The range was a true sight to behold and beautiful.
Tested my coyote rifle , 17 Rem, on a few squeaks and it seemed to splat them pretty well.
Dinner and the awards were great as usual and the spread that Bruce and Karen put on Saturday night was way good eats.
All you out there that can somehow make it to next years event come **** or high water should attend. If nothing else just to attend this galla gathering of the clan....Jane and I sure plan on going to next years event for the commradery alone.
Good shooting,
Walt and Jane

Ventnburn
06-08-2008, 09:29 PM
Actually my 35 Whelen is built on a Springfield '03, The original barrel was bored and rifled by a backyard 'smith on the Camas Prairie in North Central Idaho who, the story goes, always checked the alignment of the moon and stars before working on a gun. Got it cheap in Spokane because I wanted a 35 cal rifle.

And NVWalt splatted squeaks really, really well at over 400 yards (lasered, not guessing). And he is either going to have to get a bigger truck or leave some steel targets at home if he tries to bring any thing more, he had gun cases tied to the top of the load as it was.

But that steel saw some pretty serious shooting during the weekend, appreciate him bringing it along.

MT Gianni
07-07-2008, 08:47 PM
Mac, The CD and framed Photo's arrived today. You outdid yourself Pal. I hope that the anniversary party went as well as this shoot did. Thanks again, Gianni.

Fleataxi
07-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Guys: Anyone who wants to come to Elko, NV in September for a small organized shoot at the Elko County Shooting Range, please let me know.

We've got a 300-yard 12-space covered rifle range with steel benches, numerous pistol revetments to shoot steel with pistols, and a 1,000 yard 2-place rifle range.

If anyone is interested, I'll post the dates. Some of us will actually be shooting cast boolits, but the shoot is open to all standard projectiles. It's not a contest, but a friendly get-together.

Fleataxi

Scrounger
07-08-2008, 01:06 PM
Guys: Anyone who wants to come to Elko, NV in September for a small organized shoot at the Elko County Shooting Range, please let me know.

We've got a 300-yard 12-space covered rifle range with steel benches, numerous pistol revetments to shoot steel with pistols, and a 1,000 yard 2-place rifle range.

If anyone is interested, I'll post the dates. Some of us will actually be shooting cast boolits, but the shoot is open to all standard projectiles. It's not a contest, but a friendly get-together.

Fleataxi

Hey, you think our Avatars are related? If I can get a second mortgage for the gas money, I'd really like to see Elko. I talked to a man who worked there in the gold mine and he praised the place so much I want to see it. Sounds like the weather is far better than here in He--, I mean Pahrump. Maybe in my next life I will make better decisions....

onceabull
07-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Fleataxi: Above dates are set out for the Long Rifles Fort Boise fall gun show,and I'm expecting a couple of gentlemen guests(members here) from your area. Any other September wk'end and I will put your event on the calender.. Onceabull

Ventnburn
07-08-2008, 11:12 PM
Fleataxi:

1) Any other weekend except 9/13,14 and I am in, only 2 hours away and I have friends in Elko already - this one here in Winnimmucca was a blast.

2) Might be able to get more interest if you start another thread, try to attract the attention of readers who are bored with this thread and stopped reading it (it is 8 pages long and almost a year old already).

NVWalt
07-09-2008, 08:57 AM
Fleataxi,
I am 31/2 hours away in McGill. In fact, you are the closest China-Mart to me.LOL... but Sept has some potential for me here...Walt