PDA

View Full Version : Hollow Pointing Bullets

hunter64
07-27-2007, 06:16 PM
Hi: Since hollow point bullet molds are pretty much none existent now, I was wondering if anyone has tried the hollow point case trimmer attachment put out by Fosters. I don't have a case trimmer, I use Lee trimming pilot's so I would have to buy a case trimmer also. Does this attachment work with any case trimmer or would I have to buy a Foster type case trimmer? The web page for this hollow point attachment is here http://www.forsterproducts.com/Pages/trim_pointer.htm

The Dust Collector
07-27-2007, 06:39 PM
I have used that type of hollow pointing for quite some time with the 1/8" drill bit on my 45/70's 457124 Lyman. The results are very dependent on the depth of the hollow point, the alloy that's used, and the speed of the boolit.
Without careful regulation of the three, you can end up with a boolit that will fragment and very limlited penetration.
My load with the hollow pointed 457124 is paper patched and driven at an average of 1950 f.p.s. from a 28" inch barrel. The alloy is 30-1 and the hollow
is a maximum 1/8" deep. Any more than this the boolit becomes too explosive.
I have not tried the 1/16" drill because I do not hollow point very often anymore . The 1950 f.p.s. velosity makes the 30-1 alloy expand nicely.
I know that this is more than needed here in Wisconsin to be used on Whitetail, but it shoots so well. Hollow pointed or not.
DUST

ktw
07-27-2007, 07:17 PM
I have the 1/8" size that I use in a Forster trimmer/standard length base. This is suitable for doing doing most any handgun cartridge, but you will need the extra length base in order to use it on rifle length cartridges.

-ktw

BCB
07-27-2007, 07:32 PM
hunter64,

I don't know if it will work with Lee equipment or not. I wanted to post a picture or two, but I don't know how to do so and it always says the picture is too big. Nothing is simple anymore. But, here are a couple of links. Hopefully, you can look at few examples of bullets that I have hollow pointed. Good-luck...BCB

http://www.hunt101.com/img/488225.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/img/488229.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/img/486512.jpg

1Shirt
07-27-2007, 07:52 PM
I have played with the Forrester, and they work, but it is slow. That said, Buckshot does a whale of a job making a hollowpoint mold. He has made two for me, and I am extremely pleased with the rusults. Am thinking about having him do a third.
1shirt! :coffee:

hunter64
07-27-2007, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the response guys.

1Shirt: I was thinking of doing my 30-30 rounds to help with some expansion and also my handgun rounds for the fun of it. What does buckshot charge and what kind of molds does he do, aluminum/iron?

BCB: Great work on the hollow pointing.

KTW: So I need an extra length base then, would it matter which company , rcbs/lyman or would I need to buy Fosters. I have never used a trimmer before and with the pictures it looks like it would be a universal bit and chuck that you buy.

Dust Collector: Do you water quench your 30:1 bullets or air cool?

ktw
07-27-2007, 11:38 PM
KTW: So I need an extra length base then, would it matter which company , rcbs/lyman or would I need to buy Fosters. I have never used a trimmer before and with the pictures it looks like it would be a universal bit and chuck that you buy.

I have Hornady/Pacific and Forster trimmers. The Forster is hands down the better unit. I would recommend buying the Forster trimmer.

I recall trying the hollow point bit in the H/P trimmer at one point, but for some reason gave up on the idea. I think the pilot shafts might be slightly different sizes and the Forester collet shellholder was easier to use and provided better alignment than the standard shellholder used in the H/P unit.

-ktw

Buckshot
07-28-2007, 01:46 AM
http://www.fototime.com/E353D1C4CCDB2D9/standard.jpg

This is a HPing setup I made at a member's request a couple years back. It (the hollow pointing process) would be quite laborious by hand, as this setup was made to be used.

Better was to have put a shank on the backside of each guide so it could be chucked in a drill motor or drillpress. The centerdrill holder (holder on the left) was to create a funnel shaped opening. Naturally the one on the right with the drill bit would just make a constant ID hole.

So long as the alloy is consistant for use with a HP (not brittle) it can enhance terminal action. If too hard or brittle, the weaker walls either shatter or merely break off.

..................Buckshot

**oneshot**
07-28-2007, 09:18 AM
I measured the diameter of the case trimmer on my forster trimmer and used a drill bit of the same diameter. It worked great but it is a slow process, and not something I would do for bulk rounds.

Glen
07-28-2007, 09:43 AM
I am a HUGE fan of using cast HPs to hunt with, but I'd like to make a couple of comments to help avoid confusion by anyone thinking about starting out to try cast HPs in their hunting guns.

At typical revolver velocities (e.g. 1000-1200 fps) expansion is dependant on the alloy used. 20-1 is excellent in this range.

Generally speaking, below 1000 fps, cast HPs don't expand much (unless cast VERY soft, e.g. 40-1).

At magnum handgun velocities (1200-1500), a lot of alloys give good HP expansion. I generally use alloys in the BHN range of 10-14 for these loads. WW works just fine here, especially if a little tin is added.

When shooting cast HPs in rifles or Contenders, I generally aim for about 1600 fps. Performance is excellent at this velocity -- expansion, penetration, dead critter in short order. A few cast HPs will still do OK at 1800 fps, but most are fragmenting pretty badly by this point. While I have gotten fine accuracy from many cast HPs in rifles at 2000 fps, every last one that I've worked with explodes like a hand grenade at that speed. For best terminal performance with a cast HP in rifles, I generally aim for around 1600 fps.

BCB
07-28-2007, 11:07 AM
Another try at posting a picture, plus the bottom side of the slug. These were cast from pure lead. BCB

The Dust Collector
07-28-2007, 01:33 PM
When I make paper patched boolits, they are air cooled. My naked cast & lubed boolits for the 30-30 and the 35 Rem are normally water cooled straight WWs that I never hollow point.
DUST

MT Gianni
07-28-2007, 01:37 PM
Glen, do you feel that a gas check on a HP adds to usuable velocity or lets you use a softer alloy? Gianni

GrizzLeeBear
07-28-2007, 03:18 PM
While I have gotten fine accuracy from many cast HPs in rifles at 2000 fps, every last one that I've worked with explodes like a hand grenade at that speed.

Sounds like just the ticket for varmint hunting, though!

1Shirt
07-28-2007, 03:28 PM
:coffee: Hunter64, Suggest you contact Buckshot direct for price quote. However, I found it quite reasonable. He HP'd a 3ll041 and a 375449, and they are quality jobs.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Glen
07-28-2007, 03:31 PM
MT Gianni -- There's no question that a GC gives you the ability to shoot a HP at higher vleocity, or to use a softer alloy, without problems.

GLB -- You got that right! They make outstanding varmint bullets at 2000 fps.

Wayne Smith
07-28-2007, 05:06 PM
Buckshot has worked on both steel and aluminum molds for me, and done one bang up of a job. I imagine he'd work on brass/bronze, too.

sundog
07-31-2007, 10:16 AM
Anyone know the shank size (not bit size) on the drill bits for the Forster? I have a Hornady (Pacific) case trimmer, and if they are the same size as the case mouth mandrel shank, I might try one on it. My luck, they're not the same dia.

Pepe Ray
07-31-2007, 01:21 PM
Shanks are .1856". I've discovered that Lyman and RCBS do Not fit but Redding does. Gives a little more flexibility in searching for parts.
Pepe Ray

Buckshot
08-01-2007, 01:33 AM
.1850" = #13 or 4.7mm
.1870" = 4.75mm
.1875 = 3/16"

...............Buckshot

OeldeWolf
08-01-2007, 01:36 AM
I have a Forster trimmer with a new base that I was going to throw up on ebay. If someone is interested, I will figure out what I have into it, and part with it for that plus real/time shipping.

OeldeWolf

ps: send me a message, email lets me know about it that way.

MtGun44
08-01-2007, 01:43 PM
Buckshot,

On your previous post on this thread - I'm not seeing any pix or
URLs to remotely located pix in your post. Am I missing something?

Bill