PDA

View Full Version : Talking about making your own

drklynoon
02-14-2013, 12:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=PJVz3T61trI&feature=endscreen
This has probably been posted before but I just found it. This video is amazing. When I think of a "gun smith" this is what I have always thought of.

nhrifle
02-14-2013, 12:49 AM
That's how it was done. Thank God for modern machinery!

Woody3
02-14-2013, 02:00 AM
That was an awesome watch.

Bad Water Bill
02-14-2013, 02:58 AM
I would guess something of that quality should go on display rather than taking into the woods and getting scratched.

I wonder what the going price of one of his works of art is and how long a waiting time there is?

Thanks for posting

Love Life
02-14-2013, 02:59 AM
Simply amazing. There was so much wow in that video it is unbelievable.

Bad Water Bill
02-14-2013, 03:13 AM
At FRIENDSHIP TRADING POST in Brookfield Il Jerry takes Select maple,bbls and parts and assembles some beautiful flintlocks.

I have only seen 2 of his WELL used flinters for sale and the asking price was about $4,000 a piece.

Building one as the video shows would have to cost more than some new cars but worth every penny to those who appreciate quality AND can afford them.

sav300
02-14-2013, 07:45 AM
WOW ! Thanks for posting this.

KCSO
02-14-2013, 11:09 AM
Although I don't have a barrel rifing machine at this time I have done all that by hand with post drill, hand drill and planes. My long rifle built that way took me over 150 hours of work. I used a pre rifled barrel for that one all thoughh I have rifled pistol barrels on a bench top set up. If I could have made a living at it that is what i would have like to have done with my life.

RayinNH
02-14-2013, 12:03 PM
I was told at the Williamsburg shop that it takes approximately 400 hours to build a gun in this fashion, 200 hours being in the barrel alone. In the late 70's when I went to Williamsburg for the first time the waiting list was about 4 years to get a gun. Now they use commercial barrels but occasionally make the barrels by hand to keep the craft going and if the customer has deeeeep pockets.
This web site may be of interest to you as well. http://www.flintriflesmith.com/ Gary Brumfield took over as master gunsmith after Wallace Gusler. You get to learn a little more about the shop and goings on. There is also some drool material available...Ray

wallenba
02-14-2013, 01:23 PM
I always wondered , now I know! Did you recognize the narrators? The copyright I noticed was from 1969. David Brinkley, and maybe a young Jack Nicholson or William Devane.

drklynoon
02-14-2013, 01:38 PM
I was amazed at how they were able to create such beauty from raw materials. I'm good with my hands but have never attempted such artistry. We were up late last night discussing the video and what lessons we could learn from it. Personally I would like to try my hand at a little brass casting. Just amazing. I hope skills like this will never be lost but in today's high speed world this kind of work is relegated to hobbyists and places like Williamsburg. I went there once as a kid but they were closed, I wish I would have gotten to watch this first hand. I read somewhere that they closed and also that they were not closed but consolidated. Either way I need to get back up that way again.

Rangefinder
02-14-2013, 01:47 PM
I remember watching that film many years ago. LOVED seeing it again--true craftsmanship is something so rare these days...

LUBEDUDE
02-14-2013, 03:39 PM
The skill of the expert forger was amazing. The speed at which he could form parts was outstanding!

Superfly
02-14-2013, 08:37 PM
just think about the brain cells working in the guy who made the first one, it just blows my mind some people are damn scary smart.

that rifle is amazing just amazing.

btroj
02-14-2013, 09:29 PM
The coopers video by them is pretty amazing too.

stubshaft
02-14-2013, 10:16 PM
Some things never go out of style! Like TRUE craftsmanship!

RugerFan
02-14-2013, 10:37 PM
I believe I saw that same film in public school many many years ago. Pretty amazing craftsmanship.

xs11jack
02-14-2013, 11:38 PM
Holy Wow, three times over. And that guy is just a KID!!!! Acorse being 70 makes everyone look like a kid. I just am drawn to things that are so useful and you depend as little as possible on others for any part of the item. It's your skill that does the work not some factory. My BP rifle came as a cheap kit. Still I had no shop at the time as we were living in a rental at the time. My wife was happy that I had a project about guns to keep me happy, until I put the barrel in the kitchen oven to put barrel plum on it. I heard about that one for a while and did pentence for it.
Jack

drklynoon
02-17-2013, 02:50 AM
That's a cool story jack. I have thought about buying one of these kits but have never pulled the trigger. I'd really like to get a rolling block receiver for a reasonable price and rebuild one of those. But that is where my talents, patience, and time are reached. I doubt I'll ever learn how to hammer forge a barrel but man it is awesome to watch someone else do it.

skruske
02-17-2013, 07:52 AM
Folks, do not overlook the subtle political message in that vid and it's direct connection to our precious 2nd Amendment. The government at the time, British Crown, restricted some of the materials that were allowed to be imported to the colonies. Brass was mentioned specifically.

Our modern lib controlled government may not go after our guns specifically (for now) but will attack our rights through commerce. They will impose severe restrictions and taxation on the materials we use to make our weapons and ammunition. Stock up, pile it high and deep.

DCP
02-17-2013, 05:42 PM
[smilie=w:Fantastic absolutely FANTASTIC