PDA

View Full Version : Carrying and traveling

Circuit Rider
02-13-2013, 08:17 PM
Guys, I need some advise. My son is going to Franklin,Tn. to pick up his lady friend, then driving to West Salem, Wi. near La Crosse, to pick up a trailer for his work. I-65 to Indy, I-74 to I -39 into Wi. He has his carry permit for Tn. and I think he's OK is Ky.,and Wi. . But where does his weapon need to be when traveling through Ill. ? Loaded or not also? Thanks, James

Edubya
02-13-2013, 08:33 PM
Go to this site: http://www.handgunlaw.us/

EW

wv109323
02-13-2013, 08:56 PM
He can not legally have a firearm in his possession while in the state of Illinois. Or hide it drive the speed limit do not disobey any traffic laws and take your chances.

1845greyhounds
02-13-2013, 09:47 PM
Read the 1st post at the following link. It
is a discussion of the Federal law allowing transport of firearms.

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-open-carry-121/35684-faq-interstate-transportation-firearms.html

TXGunNut
02-13-2013, 09:48 PM
If the trailer is a habitation it may fall under different search guidelines and laws. I don't know any current case law on this but last I heard a habitation, even if mobile, requires a warrant for a search in most cases.

Charlie Two Tracks
02-13-2013, 10:23 PM
Tell him not to mess with the Illinois laws. They are being a fit right now. I know it ain't right, but that's the way it is around here. Police are usually near the state borders so he better put it away before crossing the line........... ain't that a fit

Circuit Rider
02-13-2013, 10:35 PM
1845greyhounds, Thanks, that looks as though he can transport it locked in a container and unloaded. I'm going to print that out for him to read and he can make a decision. James

GREENCOUNTYPETE
02-14-2013, 12:42 AM
the safe transportation act , states that if firearm and ammo are stored separate locked and not accessible your within the law http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A

and when he gets here http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/conceal-carry/reciprocity

avoid contact with the law in ILL drive the posted speed , i would say avoid the state but it can be a long ways around it lock up the gun when you stop for gas before you cross into ILL, don't stop in ILL and enjoy your stay in WIS

Alstep
02-14-2013, 01:26 AM
There was a case in Mass a number of years ago, where a couple of guys were going through Mass to go bear hunting in Maine. The troopers in Mass know when hunting season in Maine is, and look for out of state plates with NRA stickers on the vehicle. They were stopped and asked if they had guns. Said yes, they were going hunting, and that the guns were securely locked up in the back. Trooper wanted to see them. Driver got out, and as soon as he put the key in the lock, they were arrested. Their mistake was putting the key in the lock, and that was considered breaching security. They should have refused to unlock and asked for a search warrent.

Duckiller
02-14-2013, 03:23 AM
Deputy Sheriff tells me that when a travel trailer is hooked up to the tow vehicle its considerewd a vehicle and vehicle search rules apply. Unhooked from a tow vehicle it is a house and house search rules apply. Avoid big cities and travel in peace.

Olevern
02-14-2013, 07:40 AM
NY state plays the same game (act as if the federal law doesn't apply to them). I live right across the boarder in Pa. and dare not take a handgun to a gunsmith in NY because the NY state police have arrested and prosecuted many an out-of-state resident for mere possession of a handgun in their foul state.

There is a nice range that some of my NY friends belong to across the state line and I haven't bothered to join for the same reason, I would not be able to transport my handguns to the range to shoot without risking arrest.

A friend was arrested while driving to Kennedy airport with a locked case with a handgun in it. He was enroute to Africa on a hunting trip. He just happened to know the law and have friends in high places, and was released when he used his one call to call the retired Senator who co-sponsored the bill. He also was at the time a sitting NRA executive board member. You or I would have rotted in jail and lost all our gun rights for the remainder of our lives.

41 mag fan
02-14-2013, 12:30 PM
My laws apply to me...sorry to be blunt here. but here's my twist on this.
Just made a trip back from Wy, drove straight thru, and i carry loaded the whole way. If fact, theres 2+ guns loaded in my vehicle when I travel everytime.
I'm not a criminal, not a thug, drug dealer ect. I go to work everyday, pay my taxes to IN and this federal gov't. I dress like a normal person, not like a scrud, my appearance is not scraggly.
I do speed if you want to look at 5-6 mph over the speed limit on the interstate speeding.
I don't wear my seat belt, my freedom of choice, not a state telling me what I should or shouldn't wear, so I don't believe in it.
But if I get stopped in a state like IL for something, I to appearance to the officer, don't look like someone who needs investigated or searched.
My pistols are out of sight, I don't stop at gas stations that look iffy to me.
But if I get stopped I'm polite to the officer...he's doing his job. Even if i get a ticket I'm polite to them. Which I haven't had one in over 8 yrs....knock on wood.
But what I'm saying is, if you carry in a place like IL, keep it out of sight, you get stopped, unless you're unruly, or rude or an a** they won't search the vehicle.
But i don't care what Il law says, I'm going to protect myself, regardless. Thats my God given right, and supercedes all state and federal laws in my book.
Enough said...I need a nap. 23 1/2 hr trip and I'm still tired

km101
02-14-2013, 02:12 PM
"My laws apply to me...sorry to be blunt here. but here's my twist on this." Originally posted by 41 mag fan.

My sentiments exactly! I will carry if I feel it is necessary. That is my only "yardstick". I dont care if it is legal or illegal. I will try my best to be legal in any situation, but if I cant comply, then so be it, I will carry any way and take my chances.

"I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six!" Unknown

This is my rule of life!

mpmarty
02-14-2013, 03:36 PM
Living in Oregon with Oregon, Washington and Utah CCW permits the wife and I make our vacation plans to absolutely avoid the state of California. Absolutely no way we will enter that den of devils. We tour on a motorcycle and both pack loaded pistols.

Duckiller
02-14-2013, 03:45 PM
The above advice may get you to meet some ex-govenors of Ill. Try to travel as legal as possible. It is still possible to travel in this country and not NEED a hand gun. Get gas at big stations along the freeway and stay out of sleasy motels and bars.

Charlie Two Tracks
02-14-2013, 04:24 PM
We have State Police down by the Interstate here in our town all the time. Our city is the first one East of a bigger city complex and the first one east of the I-74 and I-80 intersection. They have dogs down there and when out of staters come in for gas the dog walks around. If he alerts, they let the car get back on the Interstate and then pull them over. They don't want a shoot out at the gas station. It's a good thing dogs can't smell guns. The police have found out that most criminals will not fuel in a large city and fuel at the first one after the big city. It is amazing how many drug busts happen here.
You guys can carry in Illinois if you want but it you have an accident (your fault or not) and they have to take you out in an ambulance, when you wake up there will be a smiling officer reading you your rights. They love busting honest people for engaging in their God given rights. Your trial by 12 will be by people who have not had their liberties for decades and really don't understand the 2nd Amendment. Do what ya gotta do but it ain't worth it. Stay on the highway and give no money to Illinois. If you're out of state you can't buy guns or ammo at all, for any reason anywhere in Illinois. Amazing

41 mag fan
02-14-2013, 07:35 PM
You guys can carry in Illinois if you want but it you have an accident (your fault or not) and they have to take you out in an ambulance, when you wake up there will be a smiling officer reading you your rights. They love busting honest people for engaging in their God given rights. Your trial by 12 will be by people who have not had their liberties for decades and really don't understand the 2nd Amendment. Do what ya gotta do but it ain't worth it. Stay on the highway and give no money to Illinois. If you're out of state you can't buy guns or ammo at all, for any reason anywhere in Illinois. Amazing

It only takes one time, and the aint worth it part will be if I only had my gun.......
Plus the aint worth it part....is the reason Illinois has the gun laws they do....

NSP64
02-14-2013, 07:50 PM
one day soon...........................
we might be able to welcome you.

Charlie Two Tracks
02-14-2013, 08:18 PM
I understand 41.... but I believe you have to change the laws. Just breaking them doesn't do much to help change things. You don't accomplish much in jail.

MBTcustom
02-15-2013, 11:09 AM
I tell you what I would do in this situation. I'ts just my opinion, and I'm not the one who is actually going, but if I were:
I will not travel unarmed. Especially not in a place like Illinois.
I would scrape all the NRA stickers off my ride, and try to make it look as "vanilla" as possible.
I would keep my gun on my person in a shoulder holster.
I would keep my dad gum mouth shut, and not telegraph.
If I were stopped, even though it goes against my nature, I would lie like a bearskin rug on the floor of Grizzly Adam's hunting lodge.
I would not submit to a search of any kind without my lawyer present.

Based on my research, on a national level, you are equally likely to get killed by a gun (considering suicide, homicide, cops, and accidental discharge) as you are to get killed in a car wreck (including falling asleep at the wheel, drunk drivers, traffic accidents, and deer etc) so I will carry because it gives me the opportunity to control a situation that is out of control. If there was a device that fit in my pocket that allowed me to control the outcome of a fatal traffic accident, no one could tell me not to take it with me on a long journey. I feel the same about my sidearm.

deep creek
02-15-2013, 01:06 PM
Heres how it works in idaho.I do pest control and work out of my cabin in island park during the summer and fall.Hunting season was mostly over as was the pest jobs.So i was bringing a few guns home around 13 ,rifles pistols shotguns scattered all over the truck.I had my 45,44,410 pistoland p22 on the front seat, all loaded.Five miles from home i went through a school zone. not paying attention i was doing 50 in a 35. A county deputy pulled me over. when he walked up and saw all the guns he just froze.He then asked how many guns i had, isaid 13 he said how many are loaded i said all of them.Iexplained what i was doing and that i had a CWP.he said i didnt need it .He took my drivers lisence and asked if i would keep one hand on the wheel and one out the window. he was gone for ten minutes, came backand got my CWP.Another 10, he comes back says hes sorry for keeping me so long and did i know why he pulled me over ,isaid no so he told me.He said he wasnt going to give me a speeding ticket because he took so long i said how about the guns he said your good you didnt break any laws.I said i was sorry i scared the **** out of him. He just smiled and waved.And thats why i live in Idaho!!!

DCM
02-15-2013, 08:44 PM
He can not legally have a firearm in his possession while in the state of Illinois. Or hide it drive the speed limit do not disobey any traffic laws and take your chances.

FALSE!
He can have a firearm in Ill. BUT IIRC it MUST be unloaded, stored non acessessable to him or other passengers and must have the ammo stored separately from the gun.
Best to keep it well out of sight and mind especially when in the peoples repulik of chicago.

North of the cheddar curtain and in Indiana he will be in better territory, but I would not stop in Gary for any reason.

Edit: Goodsteels advice about the plain wrapper is very sound when traveling anywhere.
Some folks just don't like folks that aren't from around there, why farther provoke them?