PDA

View Full Version : should I quit casting?

hanleyfan
02-13-2013, 04:19 PM
I am 62 years old and find my health starting to decline and in fact I just got home from a 5 day stay in the hospital for Phenomena. I have been sitting here wondering if I should get out casting and just use Jacketed bullets for reloading, it would be a lot easier than using cast boolits. Than I start too think of all the equipment and casting supplies I have not to mention 1200lbs or more of lead I have stock piled up and job of selling out would be quite a job in itself. I have been sitting here for the last hour trying to decided which direction to go, one minute I think I want to sell and the next no I think I will keep what I have, Oh my decisions decisions what should I do?

fishhawk
02-13-2013, 04:32 PM
Well that's a question your going to have to answer your self, were it me at 61 right now and feeling the same affects of age creeping in ain't no way I'm going to give it up there's just to much enjoyment to give it up. steve k

Triggernosis
02-13-2013, 04:44 PM
Maybe you could donate some of your supplies to a broke newbie caster such as myself.:-D

Muddydogs
02-13-2013, 04:51 PM
What else are you going to do with your time, set in front of the TV? Can you physically cast? Do you need to make some changes to how you cast to make it easier? What will you do with the money from your casting gear, is the money worth the loss of a great hobby that is something you can still do if you can't get around to well?

At 44 I don't have too many problems but looking into the future I can see casting if for nothing more than casting a good way to spend some time when retired. It’s something that can be done without a lot of effort, keeps the mind busy, and keeps me away from the tv just sitting around waiting on the end.

If it was me I would have been setting around the hospital planning on what I was going to cast, load and shoot after I got out. You might take a look at how much lead or other tools you really need and maybe sell off a little here or there just to reduce the load. Maybe surf the forums you visit and offer some lead at a decent price to someone just starting out or someone on a tight budget, gives you something to do in the hobby and would make someone’s day.

Charlie Two Tracks
02-13-2013, 04:52 PM
I'm 62 and have a very bad back. I'm not giving up on casting. I sit while casting and only do it for about an hour or so. You can still get a lot of boolits made in an hour. As far as lead goes, I have been exposed to numerous chemicals during my life that is a lot more dangerous than lead. The only effects of lead that I have to worry about is the lead that is going really, really FAST!:Fire:

As far as any excess lead you have, it will appreciate in value a whole lot more than any IRA or savings account. IMO

44man
02-13-2013, 04:59 PM
NEVER quit.
I am 75 and just getting started with more guns to cast for.
You youngsters better get a grip on what really counts. :castmine:

Hawkeye45
02-13-2013, 05:06 PM
I am only 67 with a bad back, knees and lungs, but I will never quit casting now that I have gotten back into it. Just a lot slower now. Don't quit. Put it on a back burner for awhile and start again

fcvan
02-13-2013, 05:07 PM
I can understand how health issues make one rethink certain life activities. I had a friend who developed pulmonary issues and so casting, smelting, fluxing, etc., could be life threatening. His solution was to mentor a younger shooter and share the knowledge and hobby. The young man took over casting duties and the older gentleman did more of the case prep. Together, they made great ammo on a regular basis, kind of a two member club.

I don't know if you are a member of a shooting club/range or just a frequent flyer at the local gun shop, it seems there's always someone around who would love to get to know what you know and more importantly who you are. You can still keep shooting cast and you might just make a new friend or two in the process. I used to know a guy who taught me a thing or two. He's gone now and I'm getting to be the old guy, so to speak. I have several shooting buddies who are half my age and eager to learn. In a way I am passing the torchlight someone else passed to me.

I hope your health issues improve, and I hope you find a way to stay a part of something you obviously have enjoyed in your life. Find your apprentice and I'm sure you will continue to enjoy your hobby.

cephas53
02-13-2013, 05:09 PM
Give it a break and see how you feel in a couple weeks about it.

7br
02-13-2013, 05:14 PM
If you really want to see your health decline, stop doing the things you enjoy.

There is a lot to be said for getting up and getting the juices going. My 79 year old father is becoming a recliner slug. I realize that his heart problems limit what he does, but he is in a viscious cycle where he doesn't feel good, so he parks himself in front of the tv. He doesn't get any excercise, so he feels worse and heads to bed. Not much of a life.

I enjoy shooting, but I can't do it every week. I can get to the garage and cast though. Take the dog for a walk. Yell at the kids on the lawn, but get up and jangling around.

rollmyown
02-13-2013, 05:26 PM
Those bought ones just aren't the same. Hang in there mate, even if you have to scale it back a bit.

Keep doing what you enjoy.

10mmShooter
02-13-2013, 06:30 PM
Harley,

Hang in there, I'm turning 50 this year and I dont like you older guys talking about the day the you might not be able to cast bullets, makes me realize I aint getting any younger myself. Anyway like everyone said its a decsion you need make personally, but think on it a little bit, and like someone mentioned you need hobbys in retirement. I vote for just shortening your casting sessions maybe an 1-2 hours at a time..no more marathon 8 hours sessions :)

John in WI
02-13-2013, 06:40 PM
This would be my advice--EVERY time I made a permanent decision on something that might be a temporary problem, I've regretted it.

Why don't you take a while, get your health back in order, and decide when things level off? Or as someone mentioned--find an ambitious newbie and exchange boolits/tool usage for the "labor" of casting. I would have considered that a win-win when I started. I had to buy (and re-buy) tools on my own and learn the hard way. (not THAT hard after I found Castboolits, but you know what I mean).

lreed
02-13-2013, 06:55 PM
I'm soon 74,achy knees,bad heart,bad back and I'm ugly! Take a month off and rethink! lreed

Pat I.
02-13-2013, 07:02 PM
If you want to keep shooting go price some jacketed bullets, if you can find any, and I think you're decision will be made. Take a break and see how you feel then. You already have the stuff you need to cast it sounds like and it isn't eating anything or costing you money so let it sit for awhile.

Jim Flinchbaugh
02-13-2013, 07:03 PM
If you indeed decide to stop, I urge you to mentor a fine young lad or lassy in the art before getting rid of your stuff.
I've made those kinda decisions in my somewhat short life (47) and regretted most of them shortly thereafter.

6bg6ga
02-13-2013, 07:08 PM
I am 62 years old and find my health starting to decline and in fact I just got home from a 5 day stay in the hospital for Phenomena. I have been sitting here wondering if I should get out casting and just use Jacketed bullets for reloading, it would be a lot easier than using cast boolits. Than I start too think of all the equipment and casting supplies I have not to mention 1200lbs or more of lead I have stock piled up and job of selling out would be quite a job in itself. I have been sitting here for the last hour trying to decided which direction to go, one minute I think I want to sell and the next no I think I will keep what I have, Oh my decisions decisions what should I do?

Do you have a son or son in law? If so I would pass on the information that you have stored and school someone on casting. In return for your help you will get cast and sized bullets. If you don't have a son or son in law then pick someone that you have befriended and trust. Teach them the art of casting and possibly they will want to purchase your equipment.

I highly suggest that you do absolutely nothing right now for aproximately 4 or 5 months and let youe body recover from being sick. I think you will find that you will have a new lease on life once you start feeling better.

For the record I will be 60 in April. My heart is 1/3 scar tissue from a bad heart attack 13 years ago. I blew a disk at 33 years of age. I feel like **** most of the time but I will not give up.

dverna
02-13-2013, 07:58 PM
62 is not old. Hell I am 62 and just retired and looking forward to getting back into casting. I was too busy to cast when I worked and had enough income to buy all the bullets I needed. Now things are different.

I agree with taking a month or two off and seeing how you feel. If your health is really bad I feel sorry for you and understand that casting can be just another PITA if you only have enough strength to shoot a few rounds a week downrange. You will have no problem getting rid of your "stuff". Most of us will pay a fair price for your lead and pick it up to boot if you are within a reasonable drive.

Green Lizzard
02-13-2013, 08:05 PM
call it therapy

shdwlkr
02-13-2013, 08:11 PM
Hanleyfan
I am older than you and have health issues also but you know what I am still in the game of life and all I like to do just do it more slowly, not as much and when I am not feeling like doing it I don't. In a few days, weeks, months I get the urge to go do it again and I have my stuff to do it again until it bugs me then I put it aside for a while and wait for the excitement to return and everything is still there waiting for me.
One day I will have to give it up and I have already made the arrangements for where my stuff is to go and to whom. Until that day I enjoy what I can as much as I can and accept that growing old has its challenges and its accomplishments.

BACKTOSHOOTING
02-13-2013, 08:13 PM
I'm 57 now and just over 4 years ago had an artery split internaly and was put into a drug indused coma for over 3 weeks. My recovery took a good year and kept me from doing my life long addiction of fishing the ocean local and for lobsters at nite and when I returned to my sport, 4 hours of it now takes 3-4 days to recoperate.
So I took up shooting again, Hence my screen name.
My point here is it takes a great deal of time to recover from an illness so just give it some time and then see if you still enjoy it and are able to get a reasonable amount of casting done.
Take care and get well first,

Steve

1616s16
02-13-2013, 08:18 PM
i cast more now at 67 than when i was 40. seem to have more time. i hurt almost ever day but i still cast boolits and walk the range at least 3 times a week. take your time you will surly miss it big time
1616s16

Raven_Darkcloud
02-13-2013, 08:25 PM
I would say keep up casting, but take it easy. Sell some lead to help with bills and maybe look at reviseing your setup to reduce physical stress. Casting and reloading can help keep you happy.

canyon-ghost
02-13-2013, 08:26 PM
I'm 57, my solution was to get one of these!

<<< cast bullets for a 44 Special flattop, it's pure enjoyment!

nwellons
02-13-2013, 08:27 PM
I started casting 3 years ago and am now 67. Some of my favorite things to do are scrounge lead, cast, reload, and shoot. I'm getting ready to smelt about 200 lbs. that I picked up this week. But I am in pretty good health. The saddest retired couple I ever met said "we are bored to death, all we do is sit around all day and watch TV." That's not for me. With my other hobby of heavy reading, I don't have time for TV at all.

Like others have said, keep doing what is fun and take lots of time before making major decisions.

Best of luck to you.

Boyscout
02-13-2013, 08:28 PM
I vote for mentoring someone. Let them do the heavy lifting and enjoy watching someone else coming along. I can't think of a better way than to pass on the tradition. When I'm too old to shoot I would like think I would willing to pass things on and take some joy in watching someone else who loves it too.

BLTsandwedge
02-13-2013, 08:46 PM

Have a read Hanleyfan- there is now overwhelming evidence that 'exercising' your brain will increase the chances that a person will keep cognition intact. In fact, I'd recommend really getting into cast- to the point of understanding and experimenting with the aspects of physics that ply our hobby. Make it a brain-workout- especially the intuitive, theoretical deductions that can be wrestled with when we see velocity, SD etc. begin to vary with changes to components.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505146_162-57568530/good-news-for-the-aging-brain/

geargnasher
02-13-2013, 08:53 PM
If you really want to see your health decline, stop doing the things you enjoy.

[snip]

There it is.

Gear

oldpara
02-13-2013, 09:05 PM
NEVER quit.
I am 75 and just getting started with more guns to cast for.
You youngsters better get a grip on what really counts. :castmine:

Yea, what he said !
I'm 62 and this hobby gives me alot of enjoyment and keeps brain cells perculating.
Unless you're sitting there casting eight hours a day, every day I wouldn't get too concerned.
When you go for your checkups ask the Doc to test your blood for excess lead.
If it's high, back off.

s1120
02-13-2013, 10:27 PM
OK well I'm younger.. only 47 here. But you know.. do you like doing it? Is it realty any harder to do then reloading? And as was said... you don't feel like it, don't do it, and buy some bullets.... you don't HAVE to sell the stuff. Save it for when you feel like it. You can buy AND cast..

Jeffrey
02-13-2013, 10:39 PM
For what calibres do you cast? People here have traded 2 for 1 alloy for boolits by weight. J

Bigslug
02-13-2013, 10:47 PM
Depends if you're into casting for casting's sake or to shoot a lot for less money.

Depends also how into the strange and bizarre calibers you are.

You can buy a lot of jacketed slugs for what you might get out of a sizable casting outfit - if maneuvering heavy objects and wearing a respirator are things you can't do anymore, there's nothing wrong with a change of tactics - just so long as you keep sending SOMETHING downrange.

runfiverun
02-13-2013, 10:57 PM
instead of casting and shooting you could start writing notes on how each mold relates to each gun.
how each mold likes to be poured,and the alloy temp it does it's best at.
as well as each guns likes and dislikes as far as powder,alloy..etc.

you don't have to shoot or cast to enjoy the sport.
littlegirl,the wife and myself went on a varmint shoot last year and sht so much none of even picked up a gun reloaded or touched the brass for 3 months.
and then deer hunting come along we shot a minimum amount of rounds at sight in and went hunting.
after the deer hunt the round count went up then casting started again.

45sixgun
02-13-2013, 11:00 PM
Limitations do increase with age. I'm seeing that. And not all of us have the genetics to stay real active. My grandfather was still mountain biking in his 70's. I used to go with him. But that's not the norm. If casting brings frustration to your hobby, and keeps you from doing a part of it you love even more, like shooting, then it might make sense to make some adjustments. Lots of other good advice here to think about. Probably at least taking a break from it for a year or so is a good idea. Then you can decide whether to keep the equipment or sell it, or pass it on to a grandson/nephew/neighbor who is wanting to get into it. If I get rid of my stuff some day, that's how I want to do it. A gift like that makes for a lifetime of gratitude, and the recipient will always think of you as the one who got him started....a legacy.

hanleyfan
02-14-2013, 12:37 AM
thanks for all the advise, I just got back from the hospital and the doctor said it would take some time to fully recover, any smoke of any kind just tears up my lungs right now so casting is out of the question until that clears up. I guess I was just sitting here feeling sorry for myself.

retread
02-14-2013, 02:23 AM
I'm 67 and just started casting a few years ago. I plan on doing it for as long as I can. Just sorry I didn't start sooner in life. I do, however, recommend a good ventilation system. If you can suck the smoke out that will make casting safer and a lot more pleasant. Hang in there and make no decisions till you are feeling better.

Retread

Wal'
02-14-2013, 02:49 AM
66yrs & only started casting 18 mths back......like you bits hurt & I'm sure it will only get worse, but on good days its all worth it when those shiny boolits magically appear in my bucket.

I would keep going, the other option aint really pleasant to think about. :(

Max Brand
02-14-2013, 03:36 AM
You're too young to retire from casting. I'm in my sixties, my back is made of rods, pins, screws and bone grafts. I have half a colon and a hernia thrown in for good measure but I'm not about to quit. Actually, I enjoy casting now more than I did forty years ago. Back then all I cast was .45 and .54 cal for my smoke poles whereas now I'm casting anything from 50 grain .223's to 550 grain .458's. Sure I don't have the endurance for those long casting sessions any more but I still marvel at the finished product. Hang in there!

Muddydogs
02-14-2013, 09:21 AM
thanks for all the advise, I just got back from the hospital and the doctor said it would take some time to fully recover, any smoke of any kind just tears up my lungs right now so casting is out of the question until that clears up. I guess I was just sitting here feeling sorry for myself.

Sounds like a good time to inspect your molds and get them cleaned and ready, clean the lube out of the seater dies and look over the sizer dies.

Wayne Smith
02-14-2013, 09:54 AM
I will turn 60 in a couple of weeks. Type II Diabeties caused me to start exercizing and controling what I eat. I'm in much better shape than I was at 40.

Recover, get yourself back into shape and then answer the question. Don't make any major decisions until you have accomplished those things.

ku4hx
02-14-2013, 11:15 AM
I'll be 67 in May and I feel your pain. And I mean that sincerely and with great empathy. The problem I'm facing, one we all will sooner or later, is what to do with all my shooting gear as I age and eventually pass on. Not something I enjoy contemplating, but as a responsible adult and parent I need to. So far, I can still cast all I need to but limit my sessions to about two hours once or twice a week during the colder months here. That's because of back pain mostly.

My adult son has always liked to shoot and just last month admitted that once he got settled into his new house, he'd like to learn what I know. He just recently got married and now he wants to enjoy more of the "stay-at-home" stuff as he calls it. Music to my ears. I plan on taking him up on that.

But what's of more concern is guns rather than loading equipment. So I've began the process of getting him many of those I own and the same will happen soon for my daughter. Of course my son is delighted, but at one point he paused a moment and asked, "Are you dying?". None of my family has a problem being direct. I told him no, but I just wanted him to enjoy them while I was able to enjoy him enjoying them. Lot of enjoyment there.

There was a time I simply couldn't envision any of my casting, loading and shooting equipment being anywhere but in our safe or in our house. Now, I can't tell you how good it feels to pass at least some of it along while I'm still here. Of course I started early teaching my two children about guns, shooting, safety and such and I am so glad I did.

This is my solution and I freely admit it may not be right for others. But something will eventually be done with it and I wanted to have a say-so in that. I hope to have more soon along the lines of casting and loading.

mrbill2
02-14-2013, 11:58 AM
The golden years have come at last.
I can not see, I can not pee, I can not chew and I can not ****.
My memory shrinks, my hearing stinks. no sense of smell, I look like hell.
My body's drooping, got trouble pooping. O yes, the golden years have come at last.
But I can Cast. I can't quite now, I gust bought a new Lyman melting pot. I'll soon be 70.

Spector
02-14-2013, 12:20 PM
Wow......what a timely thread.

I just turned 66 this month. My wife died 13 months ago and I raise my teenage grandchildren by myself now.

In early January I suddenly developed bad pain and swelling in my right hand/wrist and that started to spread slowly into my right wrist. It became difficult to drive, wash dishes or even shower.

I've given myself this first year after my wife's death to just rest, go slow and try to figure out where to go from here. I am still trying to plot the direction of my new life alone or at least figure out what kind of life I want.

Been fortunate and decided to retire 14 years ago.......with adequate money now that my wife is no longer spending wildly.

I bought the dies to make homemade gas checks. Then the wrist business hit. Really disgusting. Men in my family live between mid 80's to mid 90's. What to do? Getting depressed or feeling sorry for myself wasn't good for me or anyone around me.

I recall trying to imagine how I'd have to modify a standard reloading press or cobble together a press that could be foot operated to fabricate gas checks and reload ammunition.

Well they still aren't sure if I have arthritis or something muscular that ails me. It's not rhumitoid arthritis. It's not gout. It's not blood clots in my left arm. They say there is some indication of carpal tunnel. They've put me on Prednisone for a week and on Meloxicam and given me 11 refills. I am feeling better now and that dull toothache feeling in my wrists is much better now.

I took my grandson to the range the other evening and managed to fire several rounds with no apparent ill effects to my wrists from the new Springfield XD-S I bought late last year.

You've been given some excellent advice by others here and you are certainly not alone in the challenges you are facing. You will likely view things with more hope in short order. Some changes may be inevitable, but depression or giving up entirely is up to each of us in this brotherhood of shooters. We CAN tweak what goes on between our ears. Sometimes the brotherhood helps in that tweaking process.

My son is busy and not into casting or even reloading yet. My nephew just bought a set of dies, but still doesn't have a press and wants advice. Somewhere I will find someone who wants to take over when I can no longer actively participate in this brotherhood, but until then I am still involved even if it is more mentally than physically at the moment.

Come to think of it I need to get my butt out in the garage and finish making a guide for the paper cutter I bought to cut aluminum strips to make gas checks. And like you I have over 1000 pounds of lead that would be a sin to just let lay there.

Hang in there brother. And thanks to all of you who have written advice as it has helped motivate me as well. If things go well I may have 29 more years to work on that lead. Smile........Mike

casterofboolits
02-14-2013, 12:27 PM
I'll be 71 on the 23rd of this month and have had four bypasses, two strokes and various other ailments. I figger they'll find me dead in front of my casting pots or loading presses. Just finished loading 1,500 45 ACP and lubed/sized 1,700 38-158-RNPB yesterday. I'm weaker and a bit wobbly and have to concentrate on what I'm doing, but I just can't give up.

I have a better casting shop than most, equiped with commercial grade exhaust hoods,which helps.

I am also mentoring a couple youngsters in casting and reloading and have a couple more youngsters who want to learn reloading. Youngsters? they're all around 40! They do the heavy lifting for me. One is getting started in IPSC/USPSA and is using my old comped 1911 in 45 ACP.

Hang in there as long as you can!

mdi
02-14-2013, 01:00 PM
I'm 65 (God how did I last this long?). I have a friend that said I looked like I was rode hard and put away wet. Typical knees and back problems, and I used to work around lead-acid batteries a lot (brushing and breathing battery corrosion irritated my lungs). I'm not gonna stop casting but I do a few things to make it easier. I always have a small fan behind me and slightly to the side, that blows fumes away from my face, and I limit myself on how many boolits I'll cast at one time (gotta size and lube 'em too, ya know). I've got several guns that don't know what a jacketed bullet is and I don't intend to introduce them either...

Chicken Thief
02-14-2013, 01:03 PM
No man it's a hobby.

Case Stuffer
02-14-2013, 01:10 PM
Line from It's A Wonderful Life, I believe. Youth is wasted on the young.
Then again my memory plays tricks on me . I took and early retirement 12 years ago and will turn 68 in a few months. Health is not bad but aches and pains are a lot more common than in years past.

I have not done any casting in just over 30 years but still have my equipment but only a token amount of alloy. I have been concidering getting back into casting but not having a good source of cheap lead (alloy) not sure it is worth it. I did some net searching and it seems I purchase cast,sized and lubed 9 mm 125 grain. RN and TCFN for about $0.04 each above alloy cost and for another $0.015 ea I can purchase 125gr. JHT.

These days I enjoy shooting my 9mm and keep reminding myself that if I go back to shooting my 1911s I will just end up with hand and wrist joints that feel worse and that is also a concern I have about casting.

Each has to know their limits and try and stay within them but one must also keep as active as possible. Hope you get to feeling better and atleast some of that stash of leads gets sent down range.

sirgknight
02-14-2013, 01:35 PM
I'm 65 and know exactly how you feel, but I think a very popular TV commercial sums it up the best: "a body at rest tends to stay at rest; a body in motion tends to stay in motion". I am living proof that if you don't have something to do that you truely enjoy, then it becomes difficult to want to be in motion. As long as you have a desire to cast, piddle and tinker with your casting equipment then you already know the answer to your question. If, on the other hand, you have lost that desire then you also have already answered your question and nothing that we say here will have any affect on your circumstance. It is my hope that you have not lost that "desire"!!!

Texantothecore
02-14-2013, 02:53 PM
I am 62 also but have picked it up due to my concern over the price of bullets, powder and primers.

To my complete surprise I have found that teaching others how to cast and reload is one of the real pleasures of the sport and hobby and I have taught a good number to do so. I even have former students who started teaching their relatives and neighbors how to reload and I feel as if I have done a great deal to educate the public. Your knowledge is quite valuable and you should spread the blessings around to as many people as possible.

So, keep on reloading and casting, others will follow you.

mpmarty
02-14-2013, 03:44 PM
Well I feel for ya.
I'm 74 yrs young and still cast and ride my motorcycle and hike my property with a rifle whenever I want. I also am known to take two hour naps in my recliner at noontime. Do what you want when you want to do it. That is the only benefit of our advanced years so enjoy and keep on keepin on.

jimb16
02-14-2013, 08:53 PM
I'm 63, 64 in just over a month Wouldn't even think of stopping. I've got too many loads to work up. My philosophy is this.....Stop doing=start dieing. I plan on spending ALL of my son's inheritance before I'm done!

ultramag
02-15-2013, 12:43 PM
I sure wouldn't quit doing things I enjoy unless I had no other option. When older people stop doing things it always seems the big "dirt nap" isn't too far behind. Take a little break then get out there and cast some and enjoy the hobby.

jethunter
02-15-2013, 12:51 PM
If you don't enjoy casting any more then don't waste your time doing something that you don't like. If you do enjoy casting why would you quit?

Only you know what's best for you. If you aren't sure then just sit on it for a spell and the answer will make itself apparent soon enough. But don't do anything hasty that you might regret until you are SURE.

foesgth
02-15-2013, 01:06 PM
My dad always said that getting old wasn't for sissys. I am in your age group and have the list of problems that come from being rode hard and put away wet. You may need to change some of your techniques but don't give up something you enjoy.

mold maker
02-15-2013, 03:14 PM
Never give in or up. Let your dieing breath be one of excitement over something you enjoy doing. Take a break if you must, but never quit. I just turned 71, and have to do some things differently, but with the usual senior aches and pains, I still manage to, "Get er done".:-D:-D:-D

Ironnewt
02-15-2013, 03:39 PM

In a word, NO. Recover from being sick and Maybe scale back but If you can physically do it, Keep it up. I have a bud that is a retired Police Officer that had a stroke that pretty well paralyzed his right arm. He was a competitive Bullseye shooter. Now he shoots left handed.

jameslovesjammie
02-15-2013, 07:27 PM

If you enjoy casting, then please, PLEASE don't give it up! My Grandpa is 73. He's getting very shakey, and is ashamed of it. He's always been a cowboy, and this past year he bought a well worn Blackhawk. That pistol has given him a new lease on life. He has reloaded rifle rounds since the 50's, but this was his first centerfire handgun. It has reinvigorated his interest in shooting. He has been on the phone with me, learning different ways to set his dies, talking about different powders, talking about shooting at distance. It has given him a new interest, and has kept him busy.

Like I said, if you enjoy it, PLEASE keep doing it!

RedHawk357Mag
02-15-2013, 07:27 PM
No. You should not unless you no longer enjoy it.

380guy
02-15-2013, 08:10 PM
Id say get your health in order, stretch a lot and keep going. Even if its only for an hour or two. Us newbies need you guys to keep this art going! My Father wasn't into much after I quite H.S. sports and then moved so I didnt see him for many, many years. Ive tried to get him back into at least shooting but not much interest in doing so, so I'm going at all of this reloading and casting by myself.

David2011
02-15-2013, 08:41 PM
Hanleyfan,

You've had a rough time of it and no doubt your energy is low and building back up very slowly, but you will regain your strength and your spirit. Give it a while, catch up the books you've been intending to read- maybe some old books from people like W. W. Greener or other classics. While you're at it, see if a range vent hood might be installed help keep the smoke away. Don't give up on a hobby that keeps your mind stimulated and has a useful end product.

David

Cherokee
02-15-2013, 09:03 PM
At 71 I have no plans to stop casting. It's an individual decision.